Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A question for those who have given up Warcraft . What direction would you have liked to have see th

yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

While theres plenty of people still happily playing Warcraft there are also plenty of people that have given up for one reason or another . I would like to ask those of you who are ex-WoWplayers what you would have done differently ? What would you have prefered the WoW of today to be like ?

Comments

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Less raid and more group or solo activities..  I do not care for the idea of end game being 95% raid focused.. ESPECIALLY one that is more an E-sport then social.. Limiting raid sizes to 10/25 man,  adding in the ID system.. The entire set up screams "DRAMA"..   I left high school politics decades ago, guess the devs didn't..

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by Rydeson

Less raid and more group or solo activities..  I do not care for the idea of end game being 95% raid focused.. ESPECIALLY one that is more an E-sport then social.. Limiting raid sizes to 10/25 man,  adding in the ID system.. The entire set up screams "DRAMA"..   I left high school politics decades ago, guess the devs didn't..

Agree, and moderators to stop the channel abuse going on for years (we were paying for a quality of service blatantly denied by Blizzard), enforcement of role-playing rules on RP servers, enforcement of naming policy.

Personal house, guild house and decent textures (not the pixellated mess it's been for years, like I care if people can play it even on their smartphone), environment animations... Anything that could give the feeling of a living rpg world and not a funny pokemon gear hunt.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812

I liked, and miss world PvP, like before areans and BG's.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

I would have liked for them to remove arenas and battlegrounds, focus on world pvp as it was back in the days of launch and the first half year or whatever.

Remove cross-realm stuff.

Stop giving out free epics and makeing all the content easy mode.

Remove the helicopters, motorcycles and i saw they are adding cars in cataclysm... this shit is so lame and a huge immersion breaker for me.

And prolly tons of other reasons, these were the ones out of the top of my head.

They have taken the game in the exact opposite direction of what i liked about it, wow just feels like a lobby based game now where you just queue for dungeons and battlegrounds.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by yayitsandy

While theres plenty of people still happily playing Warcraft there are also plenty of people that have given up for one reason or another . I would like to ask those of you who are ex-WoWplayers what you would have done differently ? What would you have prefered the WoW of today to be like ?

No arena. No instanced battlegrounds. NO super duper uber rediculous epic gear. Shaman still horde only, Paladin still ally only. To sum up, remove everything they have added from BC onwards.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Community gated content aka Gearscore and Achievements killed it for me. I don't play to hand out my gaming CV everytime I try to play a game, the constant grind for tier gear has become tiresome over 3 gaming packs.

I would like to see World PvP improved to a good standard and more random fun stuff for small groups to do.  Also I would like an alliance feature for guilds to join up and form groups out of basically open people up more people to play with.

Finally it would be nice to gain points or badges only for doing content with alot more of them dropping and then you exchange them for gear. It will solve 100% of the ninja issues and will bring people together more to achieve goals.

• thg7fthg7f Member Posts: 87

I'm playing again, but the direction i wish they would go is more 10/15 man instances.  UBRS, 10 man strat and scholo were my favorite places before BC came out.  the 10 man raids just dont bring back the same feel.

And the 40 mans were nice, but its really hard to get more than 25 ppl together for the entire duration of a raid like bwl or MC.

I'd also like bigger loot tables.  anymore i run an instance about 10 times and I have everything I want.  Strat I ran so many times to get all the pieces I wanted. I spent years doing the same endgame w/o feeling bored by it.

It sucks being a hardcore player at heart but a casual player in availability. ~NightCloak

[quote]Remove the helicopters, motorcycles and i saw they are adding cars in cataclysm... this shit is so lame and a huge immersion breaker for me.[/quote]

umm how is that immersion breaking?  Those things were in the lore that you are immersing yourself in long before they even made wow.

It sucks being a hardcore player at heart but a casual player in availability. ~NightCloak

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

More variety to do at endgame apart of dungeons or battlegrounds and more harder/longer dungeons... long ago dungeons could take you like 3 days or so to complete not like now that they become shorter and don't say hardcores or whatever you have a week cooldown unless it changed to enter the dungeon again when wow started that cooldown while very long served for something but not now.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Proson

I would have liked for them to remove arenas and battlegrounds, focus on world pvp as it was back in the days of launch and the first half year or whatever.

Remove the helicopters, motorcycles and i saw they are adding cars in cataclysm... this shit is so lame and a huge immersion breaker for me.

And prolly tons of other reasons, these were the ones out of the top of my head.

They have taken the game in the exact opposite direction of what i liked about it, wow just feels like a lobby based game now where you just queue for dungeons and battlegrounds.

So you are in fact saying, I wouldn't have changed a thing.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

I haven't actually left WoW so much as I've put it on hold to await the expansion. I like the levelling game and hate the end game. For me, it's all about the journey, and I consider a character "done" when there's nothing left to do but raid or instanced pvp (Battlegrounds & Arena). I'm not big on pvp, but I do love to get with a world raid group and trash an opposing town or city every once in awhile. Sadly, those activities are few and far between.

I'd like to see more in the way of alternate advancement, which there appears to be stuff in the works for Cataclysm that addresses that. I'd like for questing to no longer be a "necessary evil" to get to endgame and to take center stage for once. That's more to do with players than Blizzard, though. This whole attitude of the game not starting until you reach level cap is, imho, complete bullshit. RPGs are about the questing, story, and lore; not the degree of pwnage you're able to deal.

I'd also like to see a revamp of the crafting model, but I have a feeling that's highly unlikely. I favor a more interactive EQ2 or Vanguard style system as opposed to the uninteresting instant system in place. Along with that, I'd like to see the ability to make more unique items. Not necessarily uber stats packed stuff, rather different combinations of styles and appearance for things. The fact that every crafter has to go through the list of the same crap that every other crafter of the same profession makes lends a whole "Why bother?" aspect to it.

Housing, guild or individual. A place to put your stuff or roleplay with the caveat that you still need to visit cities for certain services. MMOs with housing that features everything you could want is what turns cities into ghost towns. Strike a balance in a reasonable fashion and give people reason to conduct business in town and it would be perfect. While I'm not a fan of instanced housing. in WoW's case, it would be necessary. I'd like it to be more of a neighborhood style a la LOTRO in that case, so you can still feel like your house is in a community. Unlike LOTRO, however, I think housing locations should be near and accessible to and  from high traffic areas.

Update player models. Nuff said.

That's really it for me. I think WoW is a good game overall, despite the fashionability of slamming it. It can always use improvements, though.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

I actually quite like the direction WoW has gone.  Its where it hasn't gone that keeps me out.  I really really want a pc model revamp and low level look retool.  I like to roll alts and man nothing kills WoW more after playing a capped toon than going back to level 1 and going ugh at the models when not decked out in gear.

WAR got that much right, stylized toons that still have decent look early and aren't out of 8-bit theatre when bare.

• MyPreciousssMyPreciousss Member Posts: 427

Originally posted by thg7f

[quote]Remove the helicopters, motorcycles and i saw they are adding cars in cataclysm... this shit is so lame and a huge immersion breaker for me.[/quote]

umm how is that immersion breaking?  Those things were in the lore that you are immersing yourself in long before they even made wow.

Seriously the whole game is fantasy oriented with tradional classes and when you have been playing long hours enjoying the usual skills, spells, enemies and pace, there's suddenly a motorcycle vrooming by : horrible motor sound and silly vision, it's not even immersion breaking it's definitely bad taste and lame and out of place.

Oh, and "WoW lore"... lol ?

yeah those of us who've played 1-3 and read the books still value the lore.  The lore is everybit as interesting and immersing as Warhammer, and Imo a close 2nd to dnd (coming from a 2/3 e player not a 4e hack).

and fyi its fantasy/steampunk. if the motorcycle bothers you why not rant about guns and battletanks.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by MyPreciousss

"WoW lore"... lol ?

Explain please?

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Very simple for me.  I liked  Vanilla WOW.  I hate the motorcycles, two seater rocketships. . I got over the cartoony graphics fast enough, and I know that wow lore dictates much of this, but when I was just about to resub and I saw the two gnomes sitting in the rocket mount. . I wanted to puke.

Aside from that the game is okay. . again not loving the floating glowing islands with floating glowing creatures.  The armour sets got pretty gross as well.  Some of the earlier ones that you get in WotLK are nice. . then they get all gem encrusted and non-practical looking.

I like the novels somewhat.  I liked the Warcraft games that came before.  I get the engineering mix etc.  It just seems like the "feel" of the game went to Saturday morning cartoons.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

yeah those of us who've played 1-3 and read the books still value the lore.  The lore is everybit as interesting and immersing as Warhammer, and Imo a close 2nd to dnd (coming from a 2/3 e player not a 4e hack).

and fyi its fantasy/steampunk. if the motorcycle bothers you why not rant about guns and battletanks.

I have read several of the novels. . I am not sure steampunk is accurate.  It is magic mixed with some engineering.  A glowing magical catapult sure.  A harley rip off no. 

If it was all steampunk etc..  where was this in the original WOW game. . . no these things came after a certain date. and came later to the WC series as well.

Edit:  I also hate the battle tanks. . the guns make sense though. . gun powder was an early discovery. . the accuracy of them is way off though .  I must be wrong on the lore. . actually I remember disliking Warcraft 3 for the very reason I dislike parts of WoW. 

I stillplan to play though at some point and can get past it..  I do like the game. . the thread is about what made you give it up though.  Just because something is part of the lore does't mean we can't wish it wasn't.

ill give you the hog... but really its not that much of a stretch from gyrocopters to cars and bikes.  i mean a car should be easier to make than a tank right?

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469

i still play but i take alot of breaks.

alot might disagree but i think WoW needs a dungeon/raid mechanic that allows for any size group. of course keeping the max limit in place as 5 for regular dungeons and w/e for the particular raid. without starting some flame i'll go ahead and say that i'm not suggesting you should recieve the same kind of reward for doing a smaller group compared to a max limit of players. i don't really care about the reward at all, just the opportunity to have that compatability.  CoH/V has this in their game, and it made for quick fun, which is what a video game should be about.

if i could do a raid with just two or three friends and experience all that content and lore it would be epic. i like 5 man group content because it appeals to the rp nature that is felt in fantasy stories. throwing 25 people together with annoying vent commotion is not my idea of rp. large group encounters can be extremely fun, and i'm not against them, but having the option to do anything in the game with compatibility to group size would end the games downtime or at least reduce it greatly when feeling the burn of constricted endgame pve options.

i would do heroics with just me and my wife and have a blast. i don 't care about the reward. as long as i could turn it into a profit at least. WoW has some very fun outdated raids, and even though its possible ( some very easy) to do those at higher lvls, alot of  raid encounters demand more than two people to pull off, regardless of what dps you push or the hits you take. and going into oldschool raids with no healer/tank is still a bad idea. a good feature would be to let the group make it as hard as they want, but not reduce the difficulty to anything lower than the normal group size difficulty scale.

also, the option to overide gear apperance with other items like in EQ2. and player housing also would make the game amazing.

if all that was added, i wouldn't even come to this site in search for new mmo's :)

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

For me I only log on to do my guilds weekly raid thats about it. Its not that the game isn't good or has gone down hill. Its more that I've played this game on and off since it was released. One can only play one game for so long until it starts to get boring. Same thing applies to every game ever created.

ill give you the hog... but really its not that much of a stretch from gyrocopters to cars and bikes.  i mean a car should be easier to make than a tank right?

Ah see this is where it bothers me.  If it makes sense given magic and engineering sure.  But to take something from todays world and sqeeze it in there is not only un-original it takes away the fantasy thing for me.  The tanks and bike.  I actually preffer the two seater rocket over those.   When I hear the engine of the bike it makes me sad.  Where do they get the fuel?  Are we refining oil?  If it is magic why does it sound like a typical modern bike?

The other thing that I wasn't fond of was the "bring a friend" instant teleport 3X the XP thing.   I have played since beta and brought many people to the game.  Give vanity items.  or do it like another game where you can be a "team" and XP you both gain while solo gets shared so that when you play together you are the same level. . incentives like that would be much better (and useful?).

Overall I think the game just became less and less serious.  I know it is a game but people play chess as well. . not because it is "stupid fun".

Originally posted by Aethaeryn

Ah see this is where it bothers me.  If it makes sense given magic and engineering sure.  But to take something from todays world and sqeeze it in there is not only un-original it takes away the fantasy thing for me.  The tanks and bike.  I actually preffer the two seater rocket over those.   When I hear the engine of the bike it makes me sad.  Where do they get the fuel?  Are we refining oil?  If it is magic why does it sound like a typical modern bike?

The other thing that I wasn't fond of was the "bring a friend" instant teleport 3X the XP thing.   I have played since beta and brought many people to the game.  Give vanity items.  or do it like another game where you can be a "team" and XP you both gain while solo gets shared so that when you play together you are the same level. . incentives like that would be much better (and useful?).

we started gathering oil in wc2 if i'm not mistaken.

• FledoFledo Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by Proson

This!!! Been subbed since day one and its so depressing... I hope though with the difficulty of 25-man Arthas that Cataclysm will be somewhat difficult.

Although the helicopters and the like isn't that bad, it fits the lore... There were Gyrocopters in WCIII

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

I didnt leave the game for any other reason than I've played it too long and it was getting repetative and boring.    Thats the downfall of all products (cept Civilization xD) sooner or later you realize you are just doing the same thing, but with a different set of pixels.   Ya know, it is the first sign of insanity..  Doing the same thing over and over expecting a different outcome, heh.

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

No arena

No 10/25 man raids (Lazy devs and hardness settings in the same dungeon)

No to Easy ass Heroics

No Battleground Honor system

No Deathknights

No cross server queus/dungeon finder

No to the removal of CC

No to Daily Quests

No to Achievements

No to the death of progression

Yes to Hard CC able Dungeons

Yes to Pvp world pbjectives (Silithus, Halaa)

Yes to 40 man raid progression

Yes to 20 man Raid progression

Yes to faction farming

Yes to pvp ladder system with Server wide titles

Yes to the return of regular 5 man dungeons with farmable blue armor sets (Valor, Bold)

Yes to the return of Global Chat

Yes to raid attunements

Yes to World Bosses (Kazzak, Green Dragons)

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP