Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you haven't tried it yet...

hosed123hosed123 Member Posts: 6

For those of you that haven't ever tried Alganon, or haven't tried it since the 2.0 upgrade, you gotta give it a try.  It had a pretty bad release last year, but they have made some serious ground with it and deserve a second look, or an initial look.

Comments

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Don't you have to like, PAY to try it right now? Or is there a free trial or FTP version somewhere that I missed?

• hosed123hosed123 Member Posts: 6

There is a 2 week trial.

• HakiemHakiem Member Posts: 35

7 day Trial.....

http://www.alganon.com/trial/index/start

Just Me,

Tim

If rainbows only come out in the rain then I would like it to rain at least once a day.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Although I can see how this game does bring a unique and niche way to play a fantasy MMO, the population currently of this game is killing it.  I made a trial so I had something other than STO to play and a price tag of 20 was enough for me to warrant it a look(second technically since I was in one of the earlier betas)

In evenings of logging on I see 6 other people and about 1-3 total in chat.  Their own forums show horrendous numbers like less than 50 on both combined.  Now if this game has any chance in hell at attracting new customers its got to get the player base up by to at least 1000.  Because when you have two quest at level 5 that require groups and none is to be found, its kind of disappointing.

• elusivexelusivex Member Posts: 86

In my opinion sending people to Alganon or telling them to try it for any reason other than for the pure torture of someone you hate,  is just wrong.  That is bar none  one of the top 5 worst RPG games ever,  let alone mmorpg.  I don't care what The owner/lead developer/President  and its loyal 10 fans say.  The game is bad and thats why nobody plays it.  

Sorry but I feel its time we be reasonable and logical about this game.   I'm not trolling, flaming or wanting to start an arguement.  This is just my opinion as a person who played that PoS of a "game".

Tried it both when it started and recently gave it 3 chances in total,  not sure why I must hate myself or enjoy punishment LOL...

A man or "gamer" should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

This game is far inferior to F2P MMO's like RoM and Allods, let alone in comparison with P2P MMO's like WoW and LOTRO.

Derek Smart is simply trying to pad his resume and is wasting his investors money.  The game will not exist come next Thanksgiving, as the writing is on the wall.  They barely have the resources to fix the games bugs let alone to add worthwhile content.

Save your money and try Allods, RoM and DDO first as they offer far more content and quality.  If you become bored with those games look to see if Alganon still exists.  If it does it will surely be a F2P game with items needed from the store only for end gamers. 

QoL can't afford to advertise their game and they are fighting an uphill battle trying to counter Mr. Smarts poor people skills.  Add in very poor word of mouth, which is much worse than AoC's after release, and you have a game with no chance of survival.

• SorcerousKhanSorcerousKhan Member UncommonPosts: 164

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

This game is far inferior to F2P MMO's like RoM and Allods, let alone in comparison with P2P MMO's like WoW and LOTRO.

Derek Smart is simply trying to pad his resume and is wasting his investors money.  The game will not exist come next Thanksgiving, as the writing is on the wall.  They barely have the resources to fix the games bugs let alone to add worthwhile content.

Save your money and try Allods, RoM and DDO first as they offer far more content and quality.  If you become bored with those games look to see if Alganon still exists.  If it does it will surely be a F2P game with items needed from the store only for end gamers. 

QoL can't afford to advertise their game and they are fighting an uphill battle trying to counter Mr. Smarts poor people skills.  Add in very poor word of mouth, which is much worse than AoC's after release, and you have a game with no chance of survival.

Allods is pretty, I'll give you that, but in terms of gameplay? Sorry, but I don't consider 50 levels of hellish grinding just to be able to get to the real gameplay of ship-vs-ship "fun."

Runes of Magic? Sure, it's successful, but the dual-class system is nowhere near as vibrant as it used to be - most characters are cookie-cutter. Also, RoM out and out requires you to buy into the item mall just to be effective at endgame. No thanks.

Dungeons & Dragons Online is entertaining, but it's a heavily instanced game, and an entirely different experience. I personally dislike it because of the setting, but that's just me; I hate Eberron. When it comes to gameplay, Alganon and DDO are two very different animals.

I enjoy Alganon. I don't think it's a bad game, just an incomplete one.

frodo, I think you're just upset because you got into another fight with Derek on the Alganon forums. =P

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505

Originally posted by Riceman

For many people, incomplete = Bad.

This game's going to need some major shot in the arm to have a chance to survive, regardless of its actual quality at this point.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829

Originally posted by Kyleran

So all MMO's released in the last couple of years are bad then or just at launch?  I do not buy and MMO expecting it to be complete, its the way of the beast now-a-days.  Give it 3-6 months to be in release state.

This game's going to need some major shot in the arm to have a chance to survive, regardless of its actual quality at this point.

I do not think it has a chance honestly.  Without giving accounts away.  If it went purely FTP it might garner a following, but currently it has no chance and I imagine it'll be gone by the end of summer if that.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

Plus, if i want to play a wow clone, i would play wow.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

The "WoW clone" argument is both unfair and inaccurate. WoW, for example, does not have a complex crafting system or offline progression. Additionally, Alganon has not yet been infected by PvP, which to my mind is a good thing when it comes to community building.

It's not my place to tell people what to think about Alganon. I just want it known that I like the game, I think it has potential, and I'll be sticking around - especially considering it has no subscription cost.

• BainrowBainrow Member UncommonPosts: 29

I'm with you Riceman. I have my Magus to lvl 30 and having a blast. Great community. Seems to be an adult game which I like. It appears some people on these forums want the game to fail. Childish.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

The "WoW clone" argument is both unfair and inaccurate. WoW, for example, does not have a complex crafting system..

Ahahahaha! Alganon's crafting system is 100% identical to WoW's, right down to the names of the professions!! What the hell is complex about it that is not complex about WoW???

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Allods is pretty, I'll give you that, but in terms of gameplay? Sorry, but I don't consider 50 levels of hellish grinding just to be able to get to the real gameplay of ship-vs-ship "fun."

Runes of Magic? Sure, it's successful, but the dual-class system is nowhere near as vibrant as it used to be - most characters are cookie-cutter. Also, RoM out and out requires you to buy into the item mall just to be effective at endgame. No thanks.

Dungeons & Dragons Online is entertaining, but it's a heavily instanced game, and an entirely different experience. I personally dislike it because of the setting, but that's just me; I hate Eberron. When it comes to gameplay, Alganon and DDO are two very different animals.

frodo, I think you're just upset because you got into another fight with Derek on the Alganon forums. =P

I agree that Alganon isn't a "bad" game, but it likely offers far less longevity than the games I mentioned.  I think people dedicating their time to Alganon may very well be in for a major disappointment.  Unless QoL can manage to bring in thousands of players, I just don't see how the investors can keep bleeding money. 

Regarding Derek, I've tried to remain calm and restrained.  When he first came public with his plans to refund subscribers and change Alganon I privately applauded him.  I knew nothing of him before that point.  It didn't take him very long before he began crossing the line with once loyal customers, of which I'm not included.  I don't like bullies or tyrants and so I decided to question him on things, and my questions were  quickly deleted.

I find his style very entertaining, but 100% counterproductive to generating goodwill for his game and respect from his players.  I have more I could say, but I'm not looking to flame him, just occasionally question his more absurd actions.  My posts to him are not so subtle hints that he goes too far sometimes.

Originally posted by Banquetto

The "WoW clone" argument is both unfair and inaccurate. WoW, for example, does not have a complex crafting system..

Ahahahaha! Alganon's crafting system is 100% identical to WoW's, right down to the names of the professions!! What the hell is complex about it that is not complex about WoW???

Alright, let me break this down then. "100% identical?" No. Similar, yes, but Alganon's system is more complex.

The professions are roughly equivalent in terms of names and specialties, but that's largely where the similarities end. Each core profession (tailor, leatherworker, blacksmith) can craft light, medium, and heavy armor - you can create heavy cloth armor, for example, or light leather armor. My blacksmith made a cloak for himself out of woven metal plates - in WoW, player-made cloaks are ALWAYS made by tailors.

The number of components for each crafted item is higher, and there is a great deal of cross-requirement. Whereas a WoW tailor can make all of his recipes using his own skills and farming for a couple non-crafted components, an Alganon tailor needs to include components produced by as many as four other crafting professions. This introduces a great incentive to work together with other players.

Also, with the offline/hands-off progression system of Studying, it's possible to further enhance a character's crafting abilities and recipes, something that WoW just doesn't do.

Finally, in Alganon everyone has three crafting professions - two chosen by the player, and then the core generic crafting profession which lets the player produce all kinds of useful items outside of his chosen specialties.

Trust me, Alganon's system is far more complex than WoW's.

Originally posted by nariusseldon

The "WoW clone" argument is both unfair and inaccurate. WoW, for example, does not have a complex crafting system or offline progression. Additionally, Alganon has not yet been infected by PvP, which to my mind is a good thing when it comes to community building.

It's not my place to tell people what to think about Alganon. I just want it known that I like the game, I think it has potential, and I'll be sticking around - especially considering it has no subscription cost.

Big deal .. a few different recipes. KK .. it is a 90% wow clone + 10% Eve clone .. how abt that?

Last time i heard, it has like 100 people at peak time. Good luck sticking around. That kind of numbers dont support a BUSINESS for long.

<blockquote>
    <i>Originally posted by nariusseldon</i><br />
    <blockquote>
    <b>Big deal .. a few different recipes. KK .. it is a 90% wow clone + 10% Eve clone .. how abt that?</b></blockquote>
    <p><b>Last time i heard, it has like 100 people at peak time. Good luck sticking around. That kind of numbers dont support a BUSINESS for long.</b></p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>Wow. I can practically feel the venom through the browser.</p>
    <p>Why are you so bitter about the game?</p>

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Bainrow

I'm with you Riceman. I have my Magus to lvl 30 and having a blast. Great community. Seems to be an adult game which I like. It appears some people on these forums want the game to fail. Childish.

We don't want it to fail, it already has failed.  Don't get me wrong, at first I wanted the game to be great, but as soon as I saw the graphics, heard the "Asheroth" stuff, and so many other things (especially the bugs), I realized it had no chance to succeed.

The community is also abominable.  I posted 2 comments, and was attacked for each.  The first was my opinion of the game, and the second one was a simple reply to an "any reviews" question (I posted all the ones i found, and all were bad).  I was also "banned for trolling" despite none of my comments containing any trolling material.

I would say the evidence is overwhelming.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Alright, let me break this down then. "100% identical?" No. Similar, yes, but Alganon's system is more complex.

The professions are roughly equivalent in terms of names and specialties, but that's largely where the similarities end. Each core profession (tailor, leatherworker, blacksmith) can craft light, medium, and heavy armor - you can create heavy cloth armor, for example, or light leather armor. My blacksmith made a cloak for himself out of woven metal plates - in WoW, player-made cloaks are ALWAYS made by tailors.

The number of components for each crafted item is higher, and there is a great deal of cross-requirement. Whereas a WoW tailor can make all of his recipes using his own skills and farming for a couple non-crafted components, an Alganon tailor needs to include components produced by as many as four other crafting professions. This introduces a great incentive to work together with other players.

Also, with the offline/hands-off progression system of Studying, it's possible to further enhance a character's crafting abilities and recipes, something that WoW just doesn't do.

Finally, in Alganon everyone has three crafting professions - two chosen by the player, and then the core generic crafting profession which lets the player produce all kinds of useful items outside of his chosen specialties.

Sounds like they took some of the crafting elements from Everquest 2.  However, I must admit that the light, medium, and heavy versions of the cloth, leather, and plate armor is unique, but everything else has been done before (this is impossible to avoid nowadays)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

(snip)

It's the exact same "fixed recipes, fixed items" system, but with different recipes. With the differences mainly seeming quite stupid (like tailors making heavy armour and blacksmiths making light)

Does it have cooldown-based recipes?

Does it have researched recipes?

Does it have recipes that can only be performed in certain locations in the world?

Does it have bonuses to your character for mastering tradeskills?

And this is comparing it to WoW, of all games, which is widely regarded to have possibly the most simplistic crafting system of any major fantasy MMO.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Not here at least. I wish the few remaining QoL techs the very best of luck. After more than four years of work, they deserve more than what has transpired.  What took the heart out of me, is the sudden, and unwarranted attacks from Mr Smart on the long standing community members like Hak. That and Tork leaving.  The game was never going to be more than a narrow nich game at best. But to me the community made up for that. Thats pretty much gone now, thanks to Mr Smarts antics. I still wish them all the best, but it doesn't look good.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Wraithone

Not here at least. I wish the few remaining QoL techs the very best of luck. After more than four years of work, they deserve more than what has transpired.  What took the heart out of me, is the sudden, and unwarranted attacks from Mr Smart on the long standing community members like Hak. That and Tork leaving.  The game was never going to be more than a narrow nich game at best. But to me the community made up for that. Thats pretty much gone now, thanks to Mr Smarts antics. I still wish them all the best, but it doesn't look good.

Well, they wont be the first group of people spending years to make crap. Tell that to Lord British.

A wow clone won't succeed no matter how good the community is .. Mr Smart is just the icing on the cake. In fact, i welcome his arrival. Suddenly a dull, shitty game will entertain people .. through its company drama.

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

This game is horrid, here let me tell you how bad I think it is.

When I would rather play STO than spend another round in Alganon.

Glad I don't play either anymore. People can find out for themselves in the trial but wishing someone to play the trial is a pretty bad joke, would even put it under "troll" status.

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

In other words: it is the same as what the older wow crafting recipies used to be, before it got simplified with the wrath of the lk expansion. This is true for both creating different armor types (leather/mail, mail/plate) as for more different components and cross-requirements.

The generic crafting profession can be compared to the cooking/first aid/fishing. Where cooking lets the player produce all kinds of usefull items.

So all that remains different is the study system.

I'm sure that overall it feels quite different, but the core remains somewhat the same. One would have expected more different from a game released 5 years later. Or one would simply have to accept that it's basically the same. Wich is not neccesarily a bad thing.

• VPgearchinVPgearchin Member Posts: 168

people who havent tried this game, should look at it and if it is their taste, give it a try