Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New/Returning Players Daily

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by coldandnumb

I've been in the new guild for a week now and I do agree that some of the posts regarding it are a bit rose tinted at least as far as my personal experience has been concerned. Firstly I have not met any bad players and I wish everyone the absolute best of luck and success in the game but I've encountered some things that have basically turned me off from the whole idea.

firstly out of those 100+ people there has never been more then around 20 actually logged on at the times when I can play which is primarily us est time 8-11 weekenights and saturday afternoon's and evenings. This afternoon for instance I've played around 3 hours end there is like 12 people on scattered all over the place and most seem from Europe. This is all fine but it looks again like once your out on the mainland you'll be alone unless you can tag along when they are running a guild group which is what they are working on for weeknights now but if most are not in my timezone I'll be going solo again which in this game is not much of any option once you get into the 20's

I suppose that's always an issue. tonight we had about 32 or so when I logged on but in no way can we ever guarantee that there are always going to be people on. Heck, I logged in during the day of Thursday I believe and it was just me. An hour later it was 13. Later that evening it was in the 30's.

I think the best way to look at this guild is that it's just another tool in bringing people closer together. That's one of the reasons we'd like to get more people, to build up a critical mass, have people start getting used to grouping with particular members so that it gets easier.

Heck, tonight I ran a group for a good part of the evening. Thanks to the mentoring system I was able to mentor down to play with people. But in the end it's up to the players to reach out to each other and make their own experience. And of course the other problem is that everyone is looking for a different experience.

as far as there being no noobs, I know there are many. However, if we just kept the guild open to new players (noobs) we not only would have less players but we couldn't really guarantee that they would be around in a month or two. It's just not realistic to keep it to only new players and then make sure we always can run grouups for them. At least I can't guarantee that. And of course what if people don't like the game? then we have to go out and try to recruit more. Better to strike while the iron is hot and get people when we can get people. The experience from the elder members have been invaluable.

I have to disagree with you about the solo thing as there are classes that can solo to cap. I as a mostly solo player had no problem getting to 29 and given the way I play with my own agenda, I don't believe I'll have much trougle getting higher.

Stil, the game can favor groups if one is dead set on following the quests or have to get xp whenever they play. Personally I don't play that way which is why the game fits for me.

In any case, I appreciate the nice things you said about the guild and of course you are always welcome to return if you should change your mind.

The main idea of rgua guild is that it is laid back and there for people to take advantage of if it works out for them. Players can come and go as they see fit, join other guilds if they like, come back if they like, etc.

The important thing, and I can't stress this enough, is that this guild is not here to:

A: resurrect Vanguard

B: be a permanent fix to everyone's game needs.

It's only a group of people getting together who like the game, help each other out when they can and explore together, members/levels/time slots/classes permitting.

I have no idea who will be left at the end of a month, two months, etc. I know I will and I know some others will. In the end that has to suffice. The game is a niche game and will just appeal to niche players. Can't really expect anytihng more.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by coldandnumb

I've been in the new guild for a week now and I do agree that some of the posts regarding it are a bit rose tinted at least as far as my personal experience has been concerned. Firstly I have not met any bad players and I wish everyone the absolute best of luck and success in the game but I've encountered some things that have basically turned me off from the whole idea.

firstly out of those 100+ people there has never been more then around 20 actually logged on at the times when I can play which is primarily us est time 8-11 weekenights and saturday afternoon's and evenings. This afternoon for instance I've played around 3 hours end there is like 12 people on scattered all over the place and most seem from Europe. This is all fine but it looks again like once your out on the mainland you'll be alone unless you can tag along when they are running a guild group which is what they are working on for weeknights now but if most are not in my timezone I'll be going solo again which in this game is not much of any option once you get into the 20's

I suppose that's always an issue. tonight we had about 32 or so when I logged on but in no way can we ever guarantee that there are always going to be people on.

I think the best way to look at this guild is that it's just another tool in bringing people closer together.

Heck, tonight I ran a group for a good part of the evening. thanks to the mentoring system I was able to mentor down to play with people. But in the end it's up to the players to reach out to each other and make their own experience.

as far as there being no noobs, I believe there are many. However, if we just kept the guild open to new players (noobs) we not only would have less players but we couldn't really guarantee that they would be around in a month or two.

I have to disagree with you about the solo thing as there are classes that can solo to cap. I as a mostly solo player had no problem getting to 29 and given the way I play with my own agenda, I don't believe I'll have much trougle getting higher.

Stil, the game can favor groups if one is dead set on following the quests or have to get xp whenever they play. Personally I don't play that way which is why the game fits for me.

In any case, I appreciate the nice things you said about the guild and of course you are always welcome to return if you should change your mind.

The main idea of htis guild is that it is laid back and there for people to take advantage of if it works out for them. Players can come and go as they see fit, join other guilds if they like, come back if htey like, etc.

The important thing, and I can't stress this enough, is that this guild is not here to:

A: resurrect Vanguard

B: be a permanent fix to everyone's game needs.

It's only a group of people getting together who like the game, help each other out when we can and explore together, members/levels/time slots/classes permitting.

I have no idea who will be left at the end of a month, two months, etc. I know I will and I know some others will. In the end that has to suffice. The game is a niche game and will just appeal to niche players. Can't really expect anytihng more.

I know exactly what Coldand numb feels like. The whole reason behind a GUILD is for people to connect with each other and not feel alone. I've tried over and over to get a group started but to no avail. I mean its good to get to know how to play your class, but you cant always depend on soloing thoughout your time playing. This isnt how a guild suppose to function. What's the point of joining a guild then? To raid? whats the point of raiding when you have a bunch of people under level 10? You cant get anywhere. During my time playing I see a lot of people on mainly 10-30 people daily depending on the time. Majority of the people solo, and I'm pretty sure the people who says "my wife and I" have resubbed...they just duo together never reaching out to other guild members. If coldandnumb feels left out, just give me a holler my in game name is Runefuz. I'm down for whatever, I'll even mentor down to help. Thats the whole point of having a guild, but unfortunately I dont hear people asking to group alot in guild chat.

This is my advice, get to level 10 adventuring and get out of the Isle. Crafting and Diplomacy can come later. You dont have to do everything all at the same time because its just too much time consuming. It doesnt hurt to get one thing done at a time. Just concentrate on one area first and then start the next at a later time. People just need to connect with each other more and form up groups in the guild. If not, than the guild has no use at all.

Sometimes I feel like I'm moving at a faster pace than everyone. I'm only doing so because we have to compete with other people in the area. For example doing the Hunter's League chest piece quest. No offense to anyone, but the tank takes 2-5 min break intervals between pulls ( I'm assuming here, but I think the tank was being boxxed by the guild leader) Still, I was able to kill off adds by myself while the group takes down the other. We cant advance much more going at this rate. I understand that people are still learning how to play their classes, but once you're level 20+ it should be a no brainer by that time.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by csthao

I know exactly what Coldand numb feels like. The whole reason behind a GUILD is for people to connect with each other and not feel alone. I've tried over and over to get a group started but to no avail. I mean its good to get to know how to play your class, but you cant always depend on soloing thoughout your time playing. This isnt how a guild suppose to function. What's the point of joining a guild then? To raid? whats the point of raiding when you have a bunch of people under level 10? You cant get anywhere. During my time playing I see a lot of people on mainly 10-30 people daily depending on the time. Majority of the people solo, and I'm pretty sure the people who says "my wife and I" have resubbed...they just duo together never reaching out to other guild members. If coldandnumb feels left out, just give me a holler my in game name is Runefuz. I'm down for whatever, I'll even mentor down to help. Thats the whole point of having a guild, but unfortunately I dont hear people asking to group alot in guild chat.

This is my advice, get to level 10 adventuring and get out of the Isle. Crafting and Diplomacy can come later. You dont have to do everything all at the same time because its just too much time consuming. It doesnt hurt to get one thing done at a time. Just concentrate on one area first and then start the next at a later time. People just need to connect with each other more and form up groups in the guild. If not, than the guild has no use at all.

Sometimes I feel like I'm moving at a faster pace than everyone. I'm only doing so because we have to compete with other people in the area. For example doing the Hunter's League chest piece quest. No offense to anyone, but the tank takes 2-5 min break intervals between pulls ( I'm assuming here, but I think the tank was being boxxed by the guild leader) Still, I was able to kill off adds by myself while the group takes down the other. We cant advance much more going at this rate. I understand that people are still learning how to play their classes, but once you're level 20+ it should be a no brainer by that time.

I think this comes under people having different expectations. i don't play like you and dont feel the need to advance nor do I feel like I need to advance at a certain rate.

If you feel like you are being held back by the lower end players then please help form groups for the higher end players. Speak with vikin as i know he and others have upper lvl characters.

I will continue to run groups when I can but as i said above, players are going to have to figure out the best way to reach out to each other.

we just launched a new website tonight. Hopefully this will be a tool to get people together. But again, part of the danger in how this guild is being run is that it is just a tool to put people together. It is not aiming to be a hardcore guild or a guild that has all like minded people, and will only stand on the efforts of the members. If players feel that they are not advancing fast enough then try to mentor down (as you suggested) and post for regular groups. if not then it's possible this guild will not be able to cater to hard core players.

When a guild runs by accepting everyone who wants to try the game, and even from this website you are going to get people of differing mentalities. Heck, I knew that going in. Remember, I'm a solo player. However, I recognize the need of a guild like this so I have put aside my solo play for the most part in order to help run groups or nudge people into groups. But in no way can I suggest that people play toward a particular goal or play in a manner that is antithetical to their nature.

The other day I suggested running lord tsang tomb and hilsbury as soon as we get to 20 and several people jumped at that idea.

So if we are not ready and you can mentor us up then let's do it. We can post on the guild forum and get a few people together. If we need to schedule weekly groups then perhaps that is another way as well.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KwanseiKwansei Member UncommonPosts: 334

Originally posted by Raav

This year the devs added Magi Hold Chapter 1, 2 and 3 which is solo/small group/group/raid content.  They also added Shadow Hilsbury which is solo/small group/group/12 man content.  Shimmer shallows and Sea of Kojan is also solo/group content.  All this is level 50+ content.

I suspect this is one factor causing many of my in game friends to return.  Its surprising but we're turning away new apps b/c we have more than we need.  Our guild is full and its cascading down to the other guilds.  Lot of new people and returning people in game.

Oh this sounds pretty cool actually.. Think I may just fire my account back up and check it out for a month or so. Cheers =)

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Just started the trial on a 'oh, what the hell' moment. I was fairly surprised my PC would run it (although very poorly and it doesn't look all that great). Tried a necromancer, thought it was too squishy. Then I spied the cleric... done as a cleric should be, wielding a mace, shield, and heavy armor. Made it to level 5, and its promising. I love the adventuring/crafting, diplomacy not so much. I'm much more of a, 'bash someone with a blunt object until they agree with me', type of player anyway.

I'm not going to commit until the trial is up and I'm still being entertained, or until I've played the Arrevan CBT though. If Arrevan sucks, then I'll most likely continue on with VG. A cleric done properly is admittedly a big draw for me. Other than DDO, I've never seen one.

The poor performance is a downer. It's certainly playable, and it is my PC's fault more than anything (6 years old this month baby!). I do feel it could be better optimized though, considering it was only 3 when the game was released. I'd have hated to see it at launch if this has been improved, haha.

IGN is Azenath, I'm always up for a group/chat. Now if you'll excuse me, there are work orders to be done and hobgoblins to slaughter.

• I'm from EU and things are actually working out great for me in this guild, even though the timezone have always been an issue before in vg, eq2 and aoc. I have had 3 good guild runs the last 3 times I've played. Maybe I've just been lucky but I do see quite a few people who want to run dungeons. I'm sad to hear someone has had the opposite experience and I understand that not everyone have the same play style. But I can assure you there are quite a few people within the guild that will group with you, and mentor down with you. I want to explore as much as I can, especially the dungeons, so mentoring down to run an unknown dungeon with the guild sounds great. 

If there are few people online, or nobody wants to play, I just run a few quests, and or do some craftingdiplomacy.

Anyway my character is Dilph.

I feel like I should say something that makes sense and thats helpful, but I don't know how things could be so different for people. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.

About the performance thing,  you might be able to pull of some more fps by having a looking on the official vg forums, I remember reading tips and hints when my performance was down some years ago.

Looking forward to lord tsangs tomb, hopefully its as epic as vault of heroes!

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

Yea a guild should not be there to pressure you into leveling , that is not fun.  That is what i like about After Hours in that it is a casual guild but if you want to lvl fast there are people there who are like minded and of course there is the mentor thing.  I reached lvl 10 adventuring on the isle and decided to start doing the crafting and diplomacy now , so I am sure at the pace that i play that will take a few days at least, but other people are continuosly joining so I do not fret that i will have anyone to group with as that has not been the case so far.   My goal is to enjoy the whole game so I will be lvling up crafting and dip as much as i can. see you all in game.

Ripswarm

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

im in the game now but i cant seem to get into the mmorg chat channel. maybe someone can invite me to the guild, my name is khranos. im in the game now :)

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• Originally posted by nakuma

im in the game now but i cant seem to get into the mmorg chat channel. maybe someone can invite me to the guild, my name is khranos. im in the game now :)

Tried adding you to my friendslist, but I couldn't find you?

• VaeluzVaeluz Member Posts: 2

its been a long time since i played vg back at release. Reading that people may be going back and that there has been raid content as well as level increase is sweet.  Right now i dont live where i can play since the internet is crap, but i will be moving. Once i get there i will see you guys in game for sure!

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by csthao

Not everyone is looking for the same thing from a guild, though. Some people prefer soloing, being self-sufficient as much as possible to get through. Some prefer to group all the time. Some are half and half. Some couldn't care either way and enjoy a guild purely for the social aspect of it regardless of what they're doing.

That said, I've had help - be it in terms of advice or physical help - when I've requested it or it became clear to someone that I did. I've never had to "depend on soloing". I soloed when I wanted to. I've grouped when the opportunity came up. I did a pretty even mix of both this past weekend, to be honest... and with a different group of people.

The moment I see this guild start to become at all clique-ish, where certain groups of people do everything together at the exclusion of anyone else "outside their circle", I'll be gone. I don't tolerate that in any guild. As of now, though, I'm simply not seeing anything like that, and hopefully never will.

Not sure if you intended it that way, but that last paragraph rings a bit of self-praise and elitism.

People aren't playing up to your standards and so you conclude that they "can't advance much more going at this rate"? Says who? Going at whatever rate, there will be advancement... They may fail more times than you think they should before they succeed, but so what? It may take longer for them to achieve a given goal than you think it should... Again, so what? If they're enjoying themselves despite that,  then what's the big deal?

If it's not sufficient enough for you, and you can't enjoy the ride, however fast or slow it's going, then that's fair enough. Perhaps  you could seek out people who share your experience and playstyle, and stick exclusively with them. Then you won't have to deal with the obvious frustration you're expressing toward people who don't meet your expectations of how they "should be playing by their level".

On the other hand, instead of expecting others in the group to live up to your standards, perhaps you could have laid back, stepped out of your own comfort zone (so to speak) and just gone with the flow, and enjoyed the time hanging out with your guildies?

Just sayin'....

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by Sovrath

Originally posted by jfencil

Ok, just to add some fun to the my whole conspiracy I went back to vg players and randomely checked 20 players and every single one of them had their alt section set to private so no one could check on it. I highly doubt a bunch of newbies would go to this trouble. But then I was like hey, maybe vg players is bugged cause you never know with vanguard. So I checked Joodah a very well known player on Seradon and what do you know....let me check his alts with zero problem. Viral marketing at its best image

nah.

I jus checked and it seems I have my alt section set to "access denied". I didn't even know there was an alt section let alone being able to set it to private.

I have one alt in the group as I already mentioned.

So I have no idea as to the reason this is set to private.

edit: if anything, this is how conspiracy theories start. Stupid stuff like this.

As soon as I figure out how to set it to public I'd be happy to.

There you go, public.

Same. I have my main and two alts... I've done next to nothing with my alts, though I plan to play my psionicist for some variety over time.

Don't matter, though. To those looking for a conspiracy - in anything, games or otherwise - they'll just keep throwing more bits of "undeniable proof" at the wall, hoping one sticks. And of course, with the way conspiracy theorists usually think, you posting that link to your profile would likely be spun as "an attempt to cover up the truth!".

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Whats this talk about alts and conspiracy? I must have missed something.

I can see an argument coming up, hopefully not. Lets all hold hands and SING!

• KyelthisKyelthis Member UncommonPosts: 287

I always wanted to try this game, but never did due to a friend buying it on release and shortly after, telling me to stay far far away. (Probably due to all the bugs on release).

How's this game doing now? I mean, I read the thread and all, but want to know.

Edit: Is end-game still screwed up with the whole Order/Chaos.

• UndepthUndepth Member UncommonPosts: 22

What the crap, Glenn Beck is posting conspiracies on MMORPG?

I would love to come back to this game but after that post from Silius it seems really risky. Also the fact that they haven't had an update on their website since January. I think its too little too late kind of thing, they've already dropped support and now the player base is picking back up?

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

I can officially say My wife and I resubbed. (Arturien) Now we have a wierd play schedule (weekends are booked usually with World of Warcraft with RL Friends, and Saturday night couple night). However Add me to the friends list. Also another really cool thing is brotherhood feature. If you find a couple of people who enjoy runnign with create a brotherhood. My wife and I did it to keep our mains close, but we also through our alts into the brotherhood. We logged into our level 8 alts (our mains are level 9) It was really neat seing that.

So i can not express enough if you have friends in the game or want to group if i am online send a tell. once my wife and i are off the island we will be questing like crazy! and dungeon crawling fiends.

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

In terms of fantasy the quality is there, in terms of customer and development team ... its non existant because there is not enough subscriptions to support it. So play the game while it lasts and enjoy it.

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Wow, interesting project. I am pessimistic enough to see, where this might end.

That said, patcher has finished. See you all ingame :) . I have to start from scratch though.

• NovaKayneNovaKayne Member Posts: 743

Originally posted by Herodes

Wow, interesting project. I am pessimistic enough to see, where this might end.

That said, patcher has finished. See you all ingame :) . I have to start from scratch though.

Most people coming in are starting from scratch.  do not worry, there are lots of people online in this group.  I was on Sunday and I think there were at least 20 or so on and playing through the isle and beyond.

I think the group is up to over 100 not including alts.  I have 2 in the guild and I think I will be taking them and replacing them with a Sorc.  I liked the Necro but, it is playing too slow for me in groups.  The Bard is bugged right now.  So, looks like I will be going with Sorc in the future. 

Say hello, To the things you've left behind. They are more a part of your life now that you can't touch them.

• ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

Originally posted by Dmyankee

I can officially say My wife and I resubbed. (Arturien) Now we have a wierd play schedule (weekends are booked usually with World of Warcraft with RL Friends, and Saturday night couple night). However Add me to the friends list. Also another really cool thing is brotherhood feature. If you find a couple of people who enjoy runnign with create a brotherhood. My wife and I did it to keep our mains close, but we also through our alts into the brotherhood. We logged into our level 8 alts (our mains are level 9) It was really neat seing that.

So i can not express enough if you have friends in the game or want to group if i am online send a tell. once my wife and i are off the island we will be questing like crazy! and dungeon crawling fiends.

Hmmm...I could make a brotherhood with all my alts in it....and level all of them even slower than I already level! Muaahahahahahahahaaa!! ;)

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

I do level slow but it is nice having an already leveld DK that i do not have to run around and complete all the quests over again lol.

Need a partner to set up the brotherhood btw.

• ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

That can be done. Unfortunately I play on Xeth unlike most people here, but I'm in a pretty good guild there with nice folks so I can't complain. :) I might roll a toon on Seradon just to play with the After Hours folks though, I think it's awesome you guys started that up!

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

I rerolled on Seradon, I have 2 characters on Xeth but they were low level as i only played one month every 2 ...

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310

must admit having a bit of fun, did trengal keep twice so far in the last 2 days. good to have groups. so far leveled from 26 to 28 and already pushing to lvl 29 :) so must say i am having a fun time with the sudden upswing in people subbing. i think thats the main thing that is really effecting the playability of the game, that being the population was down. So far aso good, lets see how it turns out over time.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911

Still playing on the Xeth after a week, and I'm rather surprised to find that I'm enjoying the game, and would go as far as to say that I'm enjoying it more than I have everquest 2, although it clearly lacks the polish of EQ2. The game has a completely different feel from the trial island, and is much prettier to look at. I have spent a lot of time just riding on a mount and looking around, After being furstrated and bemused by the diplomacy and crafting, I find myself looking farward to do them. I am beggining to wonder why this game isn't more popular than it is, maybe it's something I haven't encountered yet....