Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: Dynamic Events Interview

124»

Comments

• LeechxLeechx Member Posts: 44

Originally posted by chakalaka

I can't believe the amount of skepticism that is floating around, why even question them for trying to be "dynamic" and different. I mean the robust amount of information hasn't even really come out yet. just wait... just wait!

I agree that there is alot of skepticism going around and I laugh quite a bit at many different skeptic answers.  Not that I am laughing at the person, but I am laughing at the idea that nobody knows how the game actually is going to work except for ANet.  I posted earlier about how everyone's speculations should just be tossed aside for right now because the game is no where near release.  It is no sense to try and speculate something you don't know for sure yet.  Lol.  Ah well.. I will continue to enjoy reading what people have to speculate about this.  =]

• toonedtooned Member Posts: 41

Sounds absolutely amazing. I am playing Dragon Age right now. And I forgot how satisfying it is when you make a choice and the whole game line is affected by it. It was be totally awesome to be able to do that in an mmo with your friends. I am very very stoked about this games release!

• CraywulfCraywulf Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by Leechx

Originally posted by chakalaka

I can't believe the amount of skepticism that is floating around, why even question them for trying to be "dynamic" and different. I mean the robust amount of information hasn't even really come out yet. just wait... just wait!

I agree that there is alot of skepticism going around and I laugh quite a bit at many different skeptic answers.  Not that I am laughing at the person, but I am laughing at the idea that nobody knows how the game actually is going to work except for ANet.  I posted earlier about how everyone's speculations should just be tossed aside for right now because the game is no where near release.  It is no sense to try and speculate something you don't know for sure yet.  Lol.  Ah well.. I will continue to enjoy reading what people have to speculate about this.  =]

A big part of the skepticism has to do with those have not looked/played outside the MMO genre to see what gaming mechanics exist. They only are aware of the "holy trinitity", "kill ten rats", and lastly "endgame content". If a MMO doesn't have these mechanics, it's immediately looked with great skepticism and labeled "epic fail". Skeptics just can't see how mechanics outside the MMO genre can be implemented because that would require a change in one the traditional MMO mechanics that they have grown attached to like pacifier. Basically it's just plain fear of the unknown.

Wisdom is conquered with patience.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Originally posted by Craywulf

A big part of the skepticism has to do with those have not looked/played outside the MMO genre to see what gaming mechanics exist. They only are aware of the "holy trinitity", "kill ten rats", and lastly "endgame content". If a MMO doesn't have these mechanics, it's immediately looked with great skepticism and labeled "epic fail". Skeptics just can't see how mechanics outside the MMO genre can be implemented because that would require a change in one the traditional MMO mechanics that they have grown attached to like pacifier. Basically it's just plain fear of the unknown.

I'd say for me personally it's not at all fear of the unknown that gives me skepticism, it is however a healthy dose of disbelief that things will ever turn out as good and wonderful and innovative as they are sold too us via hype filled press releases and carefully controlled interview settings.

And mechanics that do deviate from the proven MMO standard need to themselves be proven to actually work and play differently on a day to day "this is what I do when I log in" basis, not some high-end theory crafted philosophy sort of mechanics.

• madlukemadluke Member UncommonPosts: 108

Well it sounds interesting for sure. I didn't 100 % get into the old Guild War games, but nevertheless i hope i will with this.

• DookzDookz Member UncommonPosts: 562

Personally, GW1 was an okay game, very stunning at its early days. GW1 did deliver in a sense that Anet did not make empty promises. Anyone that disagrees with that, just list the things that never was fullfilled.

If another development team was in charge of GW2 and made these same claims in this interview and the past and had very little or limited experience, then that's a totally different story. Given their experience, I expect nothing less from this team. 

Playing now: Cities: Skyline / Ori and the Blind Forest / Banished

• devilisciousdeviliscious Member UncommonPosts: 4,359

Originally posted by Dookz

Personally, GW1 was an okay game, very stunning at its early days. GW1 did deliver in a sense that Anet did not make empty promises. Anyone that disagrees with that, just list the things that never was fullfilled.

If another development team was in charge of GW2 and made these same claims in this interview and the past and had very little or limited experience, then that's a totally different story. Given their experience, I expect nothing less from this team. 

image They straight up told us that Guild Wars1 was not an MMORPG.. it was the players that decided it was.

I have nothing but respect for Arena Net. They set out to bring players the best games and not take advantage of them.  Their approach of honesty, quality, and unwavering standards have more than earned them respect. They are truly talented, and I am very much looking forward to seeing their next  jaw dropping surprise .

I remember when Guild wars1 came out, and people kept telling me the actual gameplay shots were cinematics.. They couldn;t believe how good they were in comparison to EVERYTHING else. But what really got me was the PVP and gameplay, no lag, balanced classes, strategy builds. I usually hate class based games, but this one made me like it. I loved the interrupts on my mesmer.. Finally someone gave me a class that actually took  real skill to play. LOVED it! image

• NinjaClawzNinjaClawz Member Posts: 4
    LOL look noobs! They said these are "dynamic world" events for when your running around... NOT the main raid quest lines & stuff as another cool poster wrote the "same pacifier in your mouth that your so attached to (linear quest lines)". lol! These are just fun side story event chains for a changing world "dynamic" element that is supplementary! It looks awesome!

NinjaClaw
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

This sounds almost too good to be true.

If they really pull this off. Not only that it will be lightyears better than WOW and most likely be embarassing better than SWTOR.

But it will also be better than most of single player RPGs

Is this even possible ?

I really hope so!

• RebxrnRebxrn Member Posts: 18

Originally posted by grimfall

I actually found this interview dissapointing - not in the questions or the thoroughness of the answers, just in that as someone said that these quests don't actually change the game world.

In Guild Wars 2, when a dynamic event ends, the game will be changed as a result of the event occurring.

I Once was Dead...Now am Reborn

• CraywulfCraywulf Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by heerobya

Originally posted by Craywulf

I'd say for me personally it's not at all fear of the unknown that gives me skepticism, it is however a healthy dose of disbelief that things will ever turn out as good and wonderful and innovative as they are sold too us via hype filled press releases and carefully controlled interview settings.

And mechanics that do deviate from the proven MMO standard need to themselves be proven to actually work and play differently on a day to day "this is what I do when I log in" basis, not some high-end theory crafted philosophy sort of mechanics.

So basically you are saying you don't believe it until you actually see it in action. No leap of faith or willingness to see that on paper it sounds like it could work. Most just read these and dismiss it as ideas that could fail, because people make assumptions that these programmers don't think the potential problems through. I tell you that's gotta be quite insulting to hear a gamer tell a programmer than they don't know what they are doing.

I'll give them a benefit of doubt, and I'm not going to be upset if doesn't work as well as advertised, because no product no matter how good it is...never works as good as advertised.

Wisdom is conquered with patience.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

Although its something never tried before, this "dynamic event system" is hardly massively ground breaking as some GW2 fans are making it sound.  

Now whilst I can appreciate the need for it to be cyclical in order to give people the chance to get involved in it, this means that the changes aren't permanent (which is what some are touting is to be).

But as the devs point out, this cyclic style of events means greater pressure on them to churn out more content.  Do they have enough on their plate getting the MMO ready for launch without further adding to the workload?  Time will tell.

• KaynokKaynok Member Posts: 111

Some of you don't understand what they're trying to do. It's only cylical if the events pan out that way. It all depends on character involvement. It doesn't just reset. There isn't an end to an event chain. The chances of seeing similar events are very slim. Try playing the beta, or check some gameplay out when it's available and base your assumption on those.

As for logging in and logging back out. Say if you log out of a session you've been playing for 4 hours, and log back in 6 hours later, the world will be different. Whatever last event you did might have triggered a chain reaction that resulted in the world you see when you login later.

This Dynamic World they're doing is interesting. I understand pretty much every aspect they explained. If they pull this off, this could very well be one of the best MMOs ever made.