Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark Age of Camelot: What if... Dark Age of Camelot 2

Comments

• PolarisationPolarisation Member Posts: 108

Yes,ToA wasn't a big deal at all, I mean, it's not like Mythic launched classic servers excluding the entire Trials of Atlantis expansion pack due to public outcry, its not like these servers were the most populated for years.

You mean those servers opened long after the population had dwindled to less than a tenth of its peak player base? Yeah they were so successful that sub numbers didn't increase and now longer even exist because long-time players all migrated back to the TOA servers! rofl.

What a fantastic way to shoot yourself in the foot, how funny.

• eindinblocheindinbloch Member Posts: 60

For me, the diversity of classes and the depth of the lore (on top of RvR) is what made DAoC my favorite MMO.

I have never played an MMO since that has had classes that I enjoyed that much.  I tend to be a fan of pet classes:  the theurgist ability to summon as many elementals as he had mana or the bone dancer ability to control an army (1 commander and 3 skeletons) of skeletons or the necromancer casting all spells through his pet while he remained a ghost.  Frankly, I'd probably play WAR if the squig herder could actually herd a bunch of squigs at once.  I also like the ability to tame pets from just about any mob with some classes.  Although I liked these classes, I had many characters of all sorts of classes that I enjoyed playing.

Also, the lore of DAoC was great.  WoW had a bit of this, but since the game had no actual war like the warcraft games, it got old really quick (I don't really care about some random farmer, I want to battle mythical creatures or help bolster my realms defenses against the nearby Midgard force).  Plus, Celtic, Irish, and Norse lore is just cool.  Who wouldn't want to fight in King Arthur's army or play as a viking and raid nearby villages or just be awesome as an irish warrior of old.  It has potential for so much with the mythical creatures also.

Combine all of this with the great RvR combat that the game had due to the faction system and you have an outstanding game.

What would be nice if there was a new game, would be, as the author said, to have faster leveling.  I like fighting against mythical monsters and that should have some sort of award system, but you shouldn't make me fight mythical monsters for months (can't play all the time) before I can actually do most of the RvR.

I would like to see some sort of integration of fighting mythical monsters and RvR also.  To do this, the moster AI would need to be a bit better than just who attacked me first.

Other than that, the basic feel of the game would have to be similar to the original.  No WoW cloning like in WAR.

I would definitely play this game.

• zerocoolzerocool Member UncommonPosts: 34

All i can say is, yes, hell yes. If they made a sequel, or whatever you want to call it. Another game like DAoC, with some changes of course, but keep the core elements that made DAoC great, I would play it. Hell, i'd give another 5 or 6 years of my life to the game.

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Polarisation

Yes,ToA wasn't a big deal at all, I mean, it's not like Mythic launched classic servers excluding the entire Trials of Atlantis expansion pack due to public outcry, its not like these servers were the most populated for years.

You mean those servers opened long after the population had dwindled to less than a tenth of its peak player base? Yeah they were so successful that sub numbers didn't increase and now longer even exist because long-time players all migrated back to the TOA servers! rofl.

What a fantastic way to shoot yourself in the foot, how funny.

I'm talking about the servers that opened because there was a HUGE backlash about the ToA expansion, and people were BEGGING for it to be removed from the game. 

So, if ToA had absolutely no effect on the game, and everybody loved it, how come the non ToA servers got FLOODED with people as soon as they opened?

Also, once again, you ignore the largely unpopular New Frontiers, people left in conjunction with that, and the changes from ToA. 

• malroth67malroth67 Member UncommonPosts: 66

Did they ever cut the monthly price for that game,  I know I would have went back to it a long time ago if they would have, $14.95 is too much a month for that game.

• MMOWarriorMMOWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 33

sadly I think they'd screw it up..

my bank account being hit for over $500 was the last straw...  my faith in Mythic is long gone.. they can't get something as important as security in the accounting system they sure as hell can't manage DAoC II..

• KonvertKonvert Member Posts: 23

I'm talking about the servers that opened because there was a HUGE backlash about the ToA expansion, and people were BEGGING for it to be removed from the game. 

So, if ToA had absolutely no effect on the game, and everybody loved it, how come the non ToA servers got FLOODED with people as soon as they opened?

Also, once again, you ignore the largely unpopular New Frontiers, people left in conjunction with that, and the changes from ToA. 

What % of old players were returning to classic (those who had quit playing) vs. the % of ToA players who stayed, did not want to deal with MLing alts or gearing them up, or wanted a fresh start)? <---and went to the opening classic server.  Of 7 people I regularly grouped with, all 7 went just to try it out.  Of the 7, 3 stayed and 5 went back to our regular server.

The reason the classic servers got flooded initial was not due to old players returning...it was for the second reason mentioned.  The pull of people from other servers only help deplete the population that floundering servers were already experiencing.

There are a multitude or reasons why people left as I will totally agree with; heck, I even knew folks who left due to realm population imbalances (of all things).

Was a fun game while I played it; but, until buff bots are removed in full, I will not resubscribe...I do not like to ask for buffs nor will I pay for two accounts to be competitve.

• lindhskylindhsky Member UncommonPosts: 162

It's the game that got me hooked on MMORPGs and the game that I still have my best memories from and I have played them all. But I must say that at times it was frustrating with the overpowered classes and items (after ToA). If they ever make a DAOC2 I really hope they'll continue to have many classes and also a different way to play all those classes. That is another strenght with DAOC. You could be a successful melee-ranger or using your arrows as an example. All classes had different ways to go that were pretty fun to play.

The crowdcontrol was a bit over the top. They need to cut down the long durations. In Warhammer they did just that, but instead they gave every class a bunch of CC-abilities that made the battles just look silly. People were flying all over the place and sure it's fun to CC someone, but not very fun when yourself are flying all over the map all the time.

The items after ToA made the game unplayable for me and also some of the new classes (Warlock etc). I remember when I fought a Paladin with my ranger and I did like 15 in damage everytime I hit him with my dagger. But everytime I hit him there was a chance that some sort of spirit attacked him as well and lifedrained him and gave me the health. So since the Paladin did very low damage to me and I did low damage to him he suddenly had like 20 of those spirits on his back and my health were back to 100% every second while he was slowly dying.

People that spent time in ToA became ridicolous overpowered with the items, new abilities and so on. Still I would support a DAOC2 even though Warhammer Online had a lot what I wanted, but still it went wrong in my opinion. Three factions is a must.

• ChannceChannce Member CommonPosts: 570

Would love to see a DAoC2 as long as it isnt dumbed down.  ToA wasnt the issue, it was ppl who didnt want to play a MMO that hated ToA, they wanted RvR (FPS) and complain over and over that they had to "put time" into the game to compete, rather than do that they just quit.

One of the great things about DAoC was that it had down time, time to get to know ppl, ya ya 16 hour ML 3's seemed like a pain in the arse waste of time to me to back then, but now that its so easy you can do it with a group or a few of the right classes, or even not at all, just get the BPs to complete it, i miss the "edge of your seat" stuff those nights used to be.  The realm is under attack! do we stop the 2 hours we have already done on this PvE raid and go defend?!...great stuff.

I didnt think it was so much fun then, when you could die to many times in a night and be further away from 50 then when you started the night, but now that the market is saturated with easy mode games, I'd love to see that again...just dont die, do something realistic that night, dont go fight the boss mobs..your not ready yet.

Alas, DAoC like that wont ever happen, to many ppl want it and want it now, they dont really want a MMO, they just want to go play the end game.

When I said i had "time", i meant virtual time, i got no RL "time" for you.

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

Before EA took over mythic, 100% yes.

Before EA gave mythic to Bioware, 50% yes.

After Mythic has no authority to make any game ever again without EA and Bioware fucking everything up, 0% yes.

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• General-ZodGeneral-Zod Member UncommonPosts: 868

After reading almost all the post, I find it baffling to see soooo many people complaining about CC... its amazing that its even a complaint? Did you guys even have 50's? Now if your in the Thidranki (sp?) and your level 20-24 ... there is really nothing you can do about mezz.. but a level 50!?!?!?... without any Anti-CC!?!?!? ... you deserve to die in your sleep ZZzzzZZ ..LOL

I would LOVE to play a Doac 2 but for the reason previously stated... it can never be. Unless I won like 300 million dollars... then my friends we would have ourselves a game... I would of course buy Houses and cars but some where along the lines... during my big spending spree's my father would ask me if im going in invest in something... thats when Doac 2 would come into play... I would personally oversee EVERYTHING .. and I would have a big bouncer-type bodyguard there to give away free involuntary "Anal Fisting" to anyone that thought up anything  even remotely "Wowish" ... kidding (not really tho)

I had some great memories from that game... I remember we (mids) dominated Caledonia (yes, that long ago) and we got the bright idea to try to take a hib keep. So picture about 4 full groups of  level 35 mids out there trying to take a keep. We didnt believe we could do it until we actually killed a 50 on our way up to the keep, after that we were AMPED! Of course after we reached the keep we were horribly slaughtered but it still fun knowing those Hibs at their comp were either saying "these mids are truly brave" or "WTF are these idiots thinking"

Another Truelevel Comparison 

Doac will always be like that X-girlfriend that was good to you the first couple of years... but going back to her now... you know it will never be the same

BUT... if you gave her a makeover and maybe a tit job ... ill consider MuAHHahaha

• tikitiki Member Posts: 395

Originally posted by Truelevel

After reading almost all the post, I find it baffling to see soooo many people complaining about CC... its amazing that its even a complaint? Did you guys even have 50's? Now if your in the Thidranki (sp?) and your level 20-24 ... there is really nothing you can do about mezz.. but a level 50!?!?!?... without any Anti-CC!?!?!? ... you deserve to die in your sleep ZZzzzZZ ..LOL

I would LOVE to play a Doac 2 but for the reason previously stated... it can never be. Unless I won like 300 million dollars... then my friends we would have ourselves a game... I would of course buy Houses and cars but some where along the lines... during my big spending spree's my father would ask me if im going in invest in something... thats when Doac 2 would come into play... I would personally oversee EVERYTHING .. and I would have a big bouncer-type bodyguard there to give away free involuntary "Anal Fisting" to anyone that thought up anything  even remotely "Wowish" ... kidding (not really tho)

I had some great memories from that game... I remember we (mids) dominated Caledonia (yes, that long ago) and we got the bright idea to try to take a hib keep. So picture about 4 full groups of  level 35 mids out there trying to take a keep. We didnt believe we could do it until we actually killed a 50 on our way up to the keep, after that we were AMPED! Of course after we reached the keep we were horribly slaughtered but it still fun knowing those Hibs at their comp were either saying "these mids are truly brave" or "WTF are these idiots thinking"

Another Truelevel Comparison 

Doac will always be like that X-girlfriend that was good to you the first couple of years... but going back to her now... you know it will never be the same

BUT... if you gave her a makeover and maybe a tit job ... ill consider MuAHHahaha

I agree 100% man, CC was the main difference between DAOC and warhammer.  The ability to zerg bust and just the overall added strategy to 8v8.  CC made it so you can not just have your perfect setup, roll in with your perfect armor, smash your assist macro and win every time with perfect armor.

East Carolina University, Computer Science BS, 2011
    --------------------
    Current game: DAOC

Games played and quit: L2, PlanetSide, RF Online, GuildWars, SWG, COH/COV, Vanguard, LOTRO, WoW, WW2 Online, FFXI, Auto-Assault, EVE Online, ShadowBane, RYL, Rappelz, Last Chaos, Myst Online, POTBS, EQ2, Warhammer Online, AoC, Aion, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Allods, Darkfall.

Waiting on: Earthrise

Names: Citio, Goldie, Sportacus

• Garvon3Garvon3 Member CommonPosts: 2,898

Originally posted by Konvert

What % of old players were returning to classic (those who had quit playing) vs. the % of ToA players who stayed, did not want to deal with MLing alts or gearing them up, or wanted a fresh start)? <---and went to the opening classic server.  Of 7 people I regularly grouped with, all 7 went just to try it out.  Of the 7, 3 stayed and 5 went back to our regular server.

The reason the classic servers got flooded initial was not due to old players returning...it was for the second reason mentioned.  The pull of people from other servers only help deplete the population that floundering servers were already experiencing.

There are a multitude or reasons why people left as I will totally agree with; heck, I even knew folks who left due to realm population imbalances (of all things).

Was a fun game while I played it; but, until buff bots are removed in full, I will not resubscribe...I do not like to ask for buffs nor will I pay for two accounts to be competitve.

No one ever implied it was old players returning. 

I simply said that the classic servers were insanely popular because ToA was insanely UNpopular. Saying ToA didn't help kill the game is just silly. 

But yes it was a combination of things, including the shift from focus on group play and social dynamics, to soloing with buff bots. 

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

I agree with most of the OP's suggestions.  I also believe it was the 1-2 punch of ToA and Frontiers that killed it.  I think Frontiers pretty much finished everyone off.  ToA had so much to explore that it took a good 5 months before everyone realized how genuinely awful it was.  I believe you could pull this off but probably not with EA breathing down their necks.  

First things to NOT do:

1. No instanced battlegrounds. I'm referring to WAR and WoW brand here. It negates the purpose of "the hunt" and turns it merely into a numbers game.  There is something to be said to have a favorite spot in Thid and act as brigands and pick people off from your favorite tree.  But this new fad of FPS instanced deathmatches is silly to me.  It's popular among new people which is cool.  But wait till you get a look at DAoC's battlegrounds.  These will make you forget all about "other" games whom claim to know pvp.  

2.  Don't dumb it down or overly complicate.  Keep the keep and sieges simple and not so "overly compensating" (New Frontiers)

3.  Get rid of Vampiir unless you plan to make them glittery, overly angsty, and weak to emo music ala (Minstrels and skalds)

Things I don't agree with.

1. Making leveling easier- just because the current breed of gamer demands and easier go of it doesn't make it more fun.  It makes 1-40 typically empty.  I think the pace was monotonous for a reason.  It required fun work.  I actually enjoyed leveling even though it was arduous.  Most people gave up before 50..so it wasn't populated with a bunch of the same people with 20 different 50's.  It was hard.  Leave it that way.  People never respect (respect as in the game itself) the games who make it too easy for them.  Sure they will complain about death penalty.  But those are the first to leave when they reach 50

2.  Classes.  I loved the number of classes.  You don't need 4 prime classes to float a ship.  You need a steady and varied group, so that YES a nightshade can take down a healer in 1.5 seconds.  That creates a need for teamwork and grouping, instead of the 5 solo players you have in warhammer every time a scenario pops.  The archer classes were each different and had a role to play in a group.  This means this same archer had to make friends when leveling through pve.  

3.  I never minded CC.  Everyone complains about DAoC CC and I seriously don't see the fuss.  Yes, it sucked to get mezzed by a single Minstrel under a bridge, but that is part of the charm (frustration).  Most of the time, you can tear right through that guy if you get him in open field.  That same Mentalist who mezzed you so annoyingly can also be torn to shreds by a Scout from behind a tree.  I'm sure he'll also say stealth crits are poor form.  

4.  I don't agree that this could ever be made.  It's a simple as that.  It doesn't mean I won't hope for it... but there it is.  Never going to happen.  Still, it's a dream.  And as with all dreams (my dating of megan fox is one too) this dream will no doubt be consumed by the big corporations and placed in a contained next to the holy grail. Thus, we will never see DAoC2 outside of our foggy cloud of nostalgia and dreams.  

• OldSquirrelOldSquirrel Member Posts: 20

My concern for any reincarnation of DAoC is that the community will never be the same.

The pre-WoW MMO community that played on the DAoC RP servers (I was primarily on Percival) offered plenty of fun for the dedicated player and some great all-night frontier fights.  Good times were always there for Old Frontiers+Foundations+Shrouded Isles because the layout was accessible and most players were VERY well mannered.

DAoC in 2001-2003 took patience and loyalty among players just for the glory of the kill count and a sense of victory for your faction and guild.  Loot was on your mind, but it was the icing on the cake rather than the whole dessert.

Could that type of game really succeed these days?

I fear that "play for the fun of it" and a common choice of "player immersion in a virtual world" has been lost forever...

"I'm a nerd, and I'm pretty proud of it." - Gilbert, Revenge of the Nerds[1984]

• shylock1079shylock1079 Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by OldSquirrel

My concern for any reincarnation of DAoC is that the community will never be the same.

The pre-WoW MMO community that played on the DAoC RP servers (I was primarily on Percival) offered plenty of fun for the dedicated player and some great all-night frontier fights.  Good times were always there for Old Frontiers+Foundations+Shrouded Isles because the layout was accessible and most players were VERY well mannered.

DAoC in 2001-2003 took patience and loyalty among players just for the glory of the kill count and a sense of victory for your faction and guild.  Loot was on your mind, but it was the icing on the cake rather than the whole dessert.

Could that type of game really succeed these days?

No...because it has to have mass appeal.  That is, unless you're insanely so self confident that you're perfectly fine with being a niche game...such as EvE.  

• RosmariiniRosmariini Member UncommonPosts: 154

Nice article! I really do hope something like that would rise up and make me addicted to mmorpgs agains since atm I am really bored.

Currently playing: N/A :(
    Retired from: GW, WAR, Aion, LOTRO, Rift, SW:TOR, Vinductus

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992

This is a holy grail for MMO's, recreating DAOC's success with current generation graphics. It could be done and the lessons from Warhammer are there to see. But in todays climate of MMO's being launched too soon and every MMO trying to be everthing to every player I doubt they could do us proud.

• dreldrel Member Posts: 918

I Loved DAoC! An updated version would be great! Grats to the OP for a great article!

• RametlhRametlh Member Posts: 14

I played from beta on till may last year. The only reason i stopped was my disability didnt kick in.

Some say i quit when ToA came out , it did have it's peoblems and later on they mayed it workable. I myself would and prob go bac in a heart beat now got coin comming in, just waiting on new computer to really get bac in game. That and SWToR cought my eye.

Seen the good side of DAOC and bad the years i played it, and my biggest  concerern was they made it to easy to lvl and PL went rampeted and then RvR suffered due to all ppl out there didnt have a cllue what their toons could do. So saying that I do disagree with the arthur of aticle. I will say bring it on a DAOC2 would be game for a Run again...

• UrmeUrme Member Posts: 10

I actually just resubbed to DAoC US, moved my old EU characters over.. and so far I'm having a blast. I played DAoC EU from 2002-2005, then I returned and played DAoC US during late 2007 and early 2008.

I've always wanted to see a DAoC 2.

What I would like to see is:

1. Mounted combat

2. Full or partial loot, so you actually sacrifice something in RvR, this will make crafting more important. And will decrease the grind for armor/weapons and the perfect template.

3. Keep the realms, Alb, Hib, Mid. Might need a redesign of most of it.

4. Skip the housing zone and let people place houses in the "real" world.

5. RvR/Frontier needs to stay, will need to be reworked though.

6. I would probably skip the levels, and let people gain str, dex, int whatever by slaying mobs/enemy players. And level spells/skills just like Darkfall has it, perhaps not that hardcore, but at least something similiar.

7. Remake the combat system more like Darkfall/FPS style, no need to target someone, you aim and the swing at the target. And definitely friendly fire, if I do a PBAoE in the middle of 10 friends they will feel it.

8. Another feature I would like to see is that an enemy realm can actually break into another realms mainzone, creating chaos etc. This wouldn't be easy and if they die they end up in their own realm again, same thing if they logout.

I would love DAoC2 :)

Urme the Legend.

• vonslashavonslasha Member Posts: 31

lets face it  money talks and immagination walks. dark age of warcraft comming up. thankyou to all the millions of asians who caused the snowball effect and help kill the mmorpg genere!

• saunasauna Member UncommonPosts: 62

Good article! Mythic really dropped the ball with WAR, making to too WoWish and not enough DAoCish :).

DAoC was almost perfect as it was and I don't know why there hasn't been a DAoC 2 yet that builds on those strong points and lessons they learned with DAoC.

Most fun PvP system ever, 3 realms battling it out, roaming groups, keeps, siege mechanincs, relics.

Gifv DAoC 2 nooow!

• AlanthusAlanthus Member Posts: 119

DAOC2 would be a truly great thing, 3 realms, RvR focus, PvE improved with PQ's etc., less major impact by CC... trying to avoid the gear focus of WoW (maybe make a completely separate version for asia using same engine/world/quests etc but slightly tweaked gfx and a steep gear grind)

Would love it but has no chance of succeeding with EA at the helm, they simply can't do MMO's right, period.

• tachgbtachgb Member UncommonPosts: 791

DAOC holds alot of fond memories to most MMO players. I'm playing DAOC even today, and I'm still addicted to the brilliant PVP. First started playing on EU servers back in 2001, I love this game, and I'm hoping Mythic are working on DAOC2.

Mythic, you did a good job on WAR, but DAOC was MUCH better, stick with DAOC.

This discussion has been closed.