Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic to announce new MMO in late summer

Comments

• miceinblackmiceinblack Member Posts: 122

I think a new MMO for Cryptic would be a very big mistake. If anything, I would divert resources into fixing what games they have now. It could be argued that STO was never completed from a Klingon point of view. IP still has potential but also still needs alot of work.

• Aki_RossAki_Ross Member Posts: 166

Originally posted by erictlewis

Originally posted by Aki_Ross

The funny thing is they have done everything in the book to make most of their subscriber base angry,  where do they think they are going to get their new customers from with the reputation they have been making for themselves.

I have no idea, perhaps they'll be digging them up at this rate.  image

By the way, why do those pictures remind me of Funcom's, The Secret World!  image

WEll I never played anything from funcom other than aoc so I don't know.   Now my little picture beside my name is my sk standing on top of the griffon tower in eq2 out in the comman lands i really should have done a better job getting a close up.

The Secret World is still in development, anyhow those pictures above really do remind of it.  image

Take a look for yourself. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/404/view/screens

Originally posted by miceinblack

I think a new MMO for Cryptic would be a very big mistake. If anything, I would divert resources into fixing what games they have now. It could be argued that STO was never completed from a Klingon point of view. IP still has potential but also still needs alot of work.

I totally agree.   

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

All the people in this thread who say that few people would buy another Cryptic game are indulging in wishfull thinking.  I can't explain why but it seems that most people never learn.

There is a lot of hate for Cryptic right now but just wait, as soon as they start hyping up their new game people will get excited for the IP or for the bullcrap they start shoveling about how they've learned their lessons from past mistakes and how this new game will be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

History will repeat itself.  A horde of people will rush to buy the game (again), get burned (again), pronounce their undying hatred for Cryptic (again), and then the cycle starts over.

• BetabooBetaboo Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by Neanderthal

All the people in this thread who say that few people would buy another Cryptic game are indulging in wishfull thinking.  I can't explain why but it seems that most people never learn.

There is a lot of hate for Cryptic right now but just wait, as soon as they start hyping up their new game people will get excited for the IP or for the bullcrap they start shoveling about how they've learned their lessons from past mistakes and how this new game will be the greatest thing since sliced bread.

History will repeat itself.  A horde of people will rush to buy the game (again), get burned (again), pronounce their undying hatred for Cryptic (again), and then the cycle starts over.

I think they will get one more out of the great hype machine then they will have no more stupid people to draw from. It is just a flawed buisness model.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

There is no mmo Cryptic can announce that would get me to sub to this game at launch and if I then after launch happen to find it follows the same simplistic, casual design that they used in COH,CO, and STO then I will never play it unless they possibly get rid of the whole paid subscription model they follow, but I know for my money they do not offer enough content to pay monthly so as long as I'm not forced to pay a monthly sub maybe otherwise they can forget about it.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776

Spoken like someone truly unaware of current events in the mmo industry.  Did you know that STO hasn't even sold a half million boxes?  A game with the IP of Star Trek alone can sell half a million boxes yet Cryptic could not accomplish the feat.  The truth is almost as many people bought STO knowing it would suck just to see for themselves and then bash Cryptic for it.  I totally disagree with your sentiment oh the game may sell alot but that's only if they somehow someway design an actual good game (seems incapable of them).  But I think the only one who looks stupid in your commentary is you from your assessment.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Doesn't seem so long ago that many people here seemed to think the potential of STO was on par with that of SWTOR.  I tried pointing out that we were talking about Cryptic vs Bioware, and as new as Bioware may be to MMOs, as linear and instanced as TOR may be,  I'd still count them wayyy ahead of Cryptic..  Didn't register though, because so many people only saw Star Wars vs Star Trek.  To a lot of consumers, the company behind the game doesn't mean anything.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I actually thought CoH was alright for its time.  CO however comes off like CoH 1.5 and somehow feels even less fleshed out than its counterpart.

Besides the whole character design portion.  That part is pretty sweet.

As for STO it was just a mess far as I'm concerned.  Space combat isn't all that bad but the ground portions of the game are some of the worst gameplay and design I have ever seen in an mmo that is supposedly a AAA title.

I still say if they didn't expect a monthy fee then STO wouldn't be a bad deal.  Certainly not something worth expecting you to purchase the game and pay a monthly fee for though.  Least not by my standards. Should just have the game purchase and the cash shop in my opinion.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by jaxsundane

Spoken like someone truly unaware of current events in the mmo industry.  Did you know that STO hasn't even sold a half million boxes? 

Ha...shows how much you know! Cryptic said months ago that they had over a million forum accounts!

>_>

<_<

/crickets chirping

I'm still stunned sites such as this one reported that bullshit like it was actually newsworthy.  The intention behind it was so obvious it was unreal yet sites reported it anyways as if it somehow reflected how the game was selling.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Spoken like someone truly unaware of current events in the mmo industry.  Did you know that STO hasn't even sold a half million boxes? 

Ha...shows how much you know! Cryptic said months ago that they had over a million forum accounts!

>_>

<_<

/crickets chirping

I'm still stunned sites such as this one reported that bullshit like it was actually newsworthy.  The intention behind it was so obvious it was unreal yet sites reported it anyways as if it somehow reflected how the game was selling.

forum accounts do not equate to subscription numbers or box sales. And that forum number is for both of their games.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

The funny thing is they have done everything in the book to make most of their subscriber base angry,  where do they think they are going to get their new customers from with the reputation they have been making for themselves.

That is a very good question.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

>_>

<_<

/crickets chirping

For the Sole purpose of posters like us to rush to the forums and call out the amount of Bullshit to said articles; keeping this site's traffic fat and healthy.

Circle of Life complete.

By the way, why do those pictures remind me of Funcom's, The Secret World!  image

I was thinking the same thing.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

STO was my first Cryptic game ever and it's tuned me off them.

Originally posted by Betaboo

>_>

<_<

/crickets chirping

forum accounts do not equate to subscription numbers or box sales. And that forum number is for both of their games.

This is true, forum accounts do not reflect sales figures.

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I was thinking the same thing.

I'm glad somebody else can see the resemblance as well.  image

• NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Spoken like someone truly unaware of current events in the mmo industry.  Did you know that STO hasn't even sold a half million boxes?  A game with the IP of Star Trek alone can sell half a million boxes yet Cryptic could not accomplish the feat.  The truth is almost as many people bought STO knowing it would suck just to see for themselves and then bash Cryptic for it.  I totally disagree with your sentiment oh the game may sell alot but that's only if they somehow someway design an actual good game (seems incapable of them).  But I think the only one who looks stupid in your commentary is you from your assessment.

I guess we'll see won't we?  Maybe I've become overly cynical and will be proven wrong.  Maybe not.

But I've been watching these things play out for so long now I can already see the forums for the new game in my mind.  I can see the diehard haters warning people.  I can see the fans and shills defending the new game.  I can see people who raged about Cryptic getting wishy-washy and saying we should all give the new game a chance.  I can see people saying they'll buy it just to see what it's like.  And 'round and 'round we go.

And look at what you yourself said:

"The truth is almost as many people bought STO knowing it would suck just to see for themselves and then bash Cryptic for it."

That may be true but it doesn't matter why people buy it.  Do you think Cryptic cares that a person bought their game just so they could complain about it?  No, all they care about is that the person DID buy it.

Anyway, we'll see.  If nothing else it should be fun to watch it all play out.

Mine too first and last.  Before this game i never went to gaming sites but this game irrated me so much that i signed up here just so i could have a place to vent my displeasure at Cryptic and STO. From quiet gamer to rebellious gamer all from one crappy company with a flawed buisness model.

I really hope you just had an overwhelming need to state the obvious rather than thought my post was even remotely serious.

Mine too first and last.  Before this game i never went to gaming sites but this game irrated me so much that i signed up here just so i could have a place to vent my displeasure at Cryptic and STO. From quiet gamer to rebellious gamer all from one crappy company with a flawed buisness model.

Feel free to vent, after all if you do it on the STO forums you'll most likely get banned. Even, if you're just pointing out all the flaws in it.  image

I really hope you just had an overwhelming need to state the obvious rather than thought my post was even remotely serious.

It was an overwhelming need to be truthful. I do not want anyone to get the idea that cryptic actually sold those amount of boxes not even close. Welcome back weekend 3 months after the game launches--can anyone say failboat.

It was an overwhelming need to be truthful. I do not want anyone to get the idea that cryptic actually sold those amount of boxes not even close. Welcome back weekend 3 months after the game launches--can anyone say failboat.

* Failboat.*  image

• HricaHrica Member UncommonPosts: 1,129

Obtain another good IP

Make a total junk game

Hype it, (mostley through a Awsome IP *coughs Star Trek*

Ship it and further humilate the PC online gaming slump (my whole family, alll ex-hardcore pc gamers have moved to xbox live)

Fool me once sham on you, fool me twice sham on me cyptic. Same for EA, they can make some EPIC console games..but as far as PC/online they are right there with Sony

That is one thing I'll commend Funcom on.  Much as I like to tear into that company one thing I will say is they have made a vested effort into improving AoC.  Much as I cannot stand that company I have to give them that, which is more than I can say for Cryptic.

Really is interesting to see how these different companies handle their mmos both during launch and afterwards.

As for the posters that see a resemblance between that art work and TSW I felt the same way when I saw it.

• ArlettaArletta Member Posts: 63

I wouldn't put it past anybody to buiy it just to say 'I told you so', on sites such as this (no offence meant in that).  As far as Cryptic will be concerned the more you bash it, the more ppl get curious and they get more subs.  The only ppl who aren't likely to sub to it are those that already did and never will again.

If you like Star Trek or casual mmo's then you're made and you're all doing Cryptic a favour.  Look at what you're doing now, speculating on which game they'll 'ruin', making ppl curious to know and they'll be keeping an eye out for it.  What do you know?  More subs for Cryptic.

Bad publicity is better than no publicity.

As for the posters that see a resemblance between that art work and TSW I felt the same way when I saw it.

Hmmm. That makes me wonder if Cryptic has a new angle.

Rushing out MMOs which bear a strong resemblance to big name upcoming releeases.

• xaldraxiusxaldraxius Member Posts: 1,249

Originally posted by Arletta

I wouldn't put it past anybody to buiy it just to say 'I told you so', on sites such as this (no offence meant in that).  As far as Cryptic will be concerned the more you bash it, the more ppl get curious and they get more subs.  The only ppl who aren't likely to sub to it are those that already did and never will again.

If you like Star Trek or casual mmo's then you're made and you're all doing Cryptic a favour.  Look at what you're doing now, speculating on which game they'll 'ruin', making ppl curious to know and they'll be keeping an eye out for it.  What do you know?  More subs for Cryptic.

Bad publicity is better than no publicity.

Actually the saying goes: There is no such thing as 'bad' publicity.

But yeah, I get what you're saying. Cryptic has managed to get its name on everyone's lips, even if it is because of overwhelming incompetence. I'm not sure that will add to box sales, but they should see enough attention to get investors interested.