Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG: Many Men Online Role Playing Girls

NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912

This has probably been discussed before as the subject of men playing female characters in MMOs is definately nothing new but over the years this has begun to grate on me as a major part of my long term dissatisfaction with the genre. The increase in the use of VoiP connect has only made the situation seem all that much worse. How many fairies or 15'ish anime girls with grizzled truck driver voices does it take before one gets that creeped out epiphany?

Another trend I have been noticing is that the developers have been playing to this crowd a lot more by introducing gender locked classes most of which are female. I am a male and I like to play male characters but now I am being forced to join the many men online role playing girls crowd. I could play other games that don't do gender locks but that makes the pool of games smaller to choose from.

It just seems that the true definition of MMORPG is no longer Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game anymore but its' perversion. What is with that?

Comments

• jezvinjezvin Member UncommonPosts: 804

honestly get over it, I play only male characters and it has never bothered me that someone plays a female character and their a guy. Does it really matter?

-------------------------------------------------
    Achiever 20.00%, Explorer 86.67%, Killer 60.00%, Socializer 33.33%

EKSA
    -------------------------------------------------

• JKnight1JKnight1 Member Posts: 72

I'm not sure what's creepy about it. It's a fictional character after all. It ha sno bearing on the mentality or health of the person behind it. So what, it's a dude behind the chick character?

Do not forget, that for the longest time, acting was specifically a male only role. Which meant, the men played the female characters often, and it didn't bother anyone. It continued on that way for much of ancient history, well up into the industrial era.

If it bothers you that much, maybe you need to rethink on why? Perhaps there is some issue you havn't come to terms with, maybe you're in the closet (Not saying you are), or something else more socially oriented. It shouldn;t matter what someone plays, as long as they have fun. If it bothers you, mute them.

• local93bclocal93bc Member Posts: 353

I think that the probleme is with sociaty now a days. basicly men want to be girls cause being a man in this world sucks.

Are lives as men in this day and age is absolutly pointless

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You actually care who someone behind a avatar in a game is?

Ok, if you have cybersex or something with someone and later find out it is a guy I could see why you would be creeped out but otherwise????

It is just a game. I don't care the least about the origin, sex, age or religion of the people I play with.

And I do believe that the only people who actually care are the people trying to pick up girls in a MMO which is a step beyond sad even. Would you be happier to find out that the girl you hit on is 11 or 65 years old?

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by local93bc

I think that the probleme is with sociaty now a days. basicly men want to be girls cause being a man in this world sucks.

Are lives as men in this day and age is absolutly pointless

Man up you sound like a little girl.

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

I dunno if you cybered a dude or what. Just because someone plays a female toon doesn't mean they roleplay as a girl. Not to say that doesn't happen, but its not the norm.

I used to never play a female toon, but then I was like who cares? Not a big deal.

• It doesn't bother me much, but I have always wondered why so many people would want to play and roleplay a female character when they are male. It just seems wrong FOR ME, so its sometimes a bit hard to understand. But seeing the community we live in today, where everything is accepted I guess its just the way it is. I'm probably just to old fashioned and conservative to get it.

I'm not saying its wrong at all, I just don't understand. Please don't be offended and take it the wrong way, this is a delicate matter and could easily get out of hand I reckon.

But for me playing a mmorpg is the same as being a character, and playing that role, so you could say there is playing a female in a game, and roleplaying a female, but for me that goes hand in hand. I play a roleplaying game after all, which most people unfortunately forget or don't care about :p

• AvatarBladeAvatarBlade Member UncommonPosts: 757

Maybe some people consider that, let's say, a warrior is better suited as a male while a healer is better suited as a female. Not saying that's always the case, but it could be an explanation.

• b0bbyZb0bbyZ Member Posts: 46

Female characters are also usually smaller, which, depending on the game, can make it easier to hide behind things. Also, voice macros and emotes can often be a lot more amusing as a female character(I'm thinking planetside on this one). Some people play RPGs to have fun and aren't ALWAYS looking to pretend to be the toon they are playing.

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

One of the leaders in my first guild in my first MMO was a male that played a female character.  I didn't care then and I still don't.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

I have no problem with men playing female avatars, or even role playing female characters. I can understand wanting to look at something you find attractive if you are going to be playing the character for countless hours. And roleplaying is about telling a story, and there should be nothing wrong with role playing a character you find compelling. The problem I have is men pretending that they are women in real life. Of course, this is difficult to combat. There are voice-altering programs, some very good, and some people, especially women, do not want to talk on voice chats. I myself am somewhat uncomfortable with it as a result of past experiences in-game.

There is no easy solution, save to try not to care very much. What does it matter, in the long run? If men want to be creepy in that way, it does not substantially affect me. Also, most women can tell if a man is pretending to be a female. I am not sure men can make the same determination, simply because of misconceptions about women in general by men.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

Originally posted by Crispin

It doesn't bother me much, but I have always wondered why so many people would want to play and roleplay a female character when they are male. It just seems wrong FOR ME, so its sometimes a bit hard to understand. But seeing the community we live in today, where everything is accepted I guess its just the way it is. I'm probably just to old fashioned and conservative to get it.

Maybe because they prefer looking at a female back rather than a male back for hours on end? Not everyone roleplays on MMOs - an avatar has little to no bearing on the e.g. sexual preferences of the player. If anything, playing female toons just shows that someone enjoys the female form... just saying.

• MeromorphMeromorph Member Posts: 75

Once I did a philosophy course on "normality and abnormality", and I wrote one of the term papers on this subject.   There are many different reasons why men play female avatars.  We could divide these along two axes, hetero and auto, as well as social and personal for each.

Hetero-Personal: This is your standard "If I'm going to stare for all those hours I'd rather it be a female ass."  These guys roll a female model because they continually enjoy admiring the curves of the body, the movements, etc.  

Hetero-Social: Similar, but this tends more towards the young boy crowd, where they heterosexually admire the female model in various social settings mimicking activities you could also watch real girls do (e.g. non-sexual activities that most games provide).  

Auto-Personal: "auto" is for self, so this is for the enjoyment of oneself projected into the female character.  In some cases this is purely sexual (see autogynephilia), in other cases it is simply not (admiring non-sexual aspects of women's bodies, such as their flexibility; America is so bad at this, we can easily imagine a women projecting herself into the strength of a man without her wanting the sexual role of a man).  

Auto-Social: These guys want to explore the social experience of being female.  This is fine to do with people who are informed, but it is not OK to deceive others about this.  That is tantamount to a crossdresser deceiving straight men in real life, which is obviously immoral.   The same immorality applies in MMOs.  

In conclusion, just assume everyone is a man until someone claims otherwise.  If that person is lying, that is severely immoral IMO.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by Novusod

It just seems that the true definition of MMORPG is no longer Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game anymore but its' perversion. What is with that?

A very good male friend of mine likes cross dressing from time to time in real life. Its not my cup of tea but I'm open-minded enough to not be bothered by it in the slightest. In fact I find it highly amusing to watch the response this gets from people in the street. Of course he has to be careful as there are occasionally macho lads (ie idiots) around that find that sort of thing challenging to their "identity". He has never had any real hassle from anyone though. Then again the level of open-mindedness of the common folk tends to depend on where they are in the world.

Anyway are you saying that people acting out the role of someone of an opposite gender are perverted? If you are then I think you are a very silly person and need to wake up. I dont suppose you live in a part of America dominated by religion by any chance do you? Thats the impression I am getting at least. If you do then I can understand your narrow minded viewpoint as its not really your fault. You're just a product of your environment.

Really though guys playing as girls is nothing. I dont even notice it or particularly care. Its just a game......a bit like life really. Getting upset about it is extremely sad. If you really take the whole male macho thing that seriously then perhaps roleplaying games arent that suitable for you.

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by Meromorph

Auto-Social: These guys want to explore the social experience of being female.  This is fine to do with people who are informed, but it is not OK to deceive others about this.  That is tantamount to a crossdresser deceiving straight men in real life, which is obviously immoral.   The same immorality applies in MMOs.  

In conclusion, just assume everyone is a man until someone claims otherwise.  If that person is lying, that is severely immoral IMO.

I fail to see the immorality in an MMO. These are roleplaying games.....or at least they are referred to as such. If a guy wants to roleplay as a girl and he manages to pull it off to such a degree that he fools everyone into thinking he is female then that simply means he has roleplayed his part very well indeed. The only people who will be offended by it will be the saddo's who are using these games to try and chat the real people up behind the characters......and lets face it who really cares about those types of people anyway?

You are entitled to your opinion of course as I am to mine. Fortunately we are all free to do as we choose and our individual opinions dont really matter to everyone else. Guys will always be free to roleplay as women and there isnt anything anyone can or should do about it. The only people who will be offended by it are the ones who deserve to be offended.

• zencommandozencommando Member Posts: 33

Do you know what really grates me? When scrawny teenage boys and fat slobs play hulking warriors! Or stupid people play sage wizards! I mean stick to what you are in real life. Don't you know that if you pretend to be something you're not, then something is clearly wrong with you!!!

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

It's also worth noting that, everything being equal, many people are unconsciously more polite/easy-going towards female avatars. Not nearly as bad as it was say, five-ten years ago, since gamers are more aware of it, but it's still there.

Never bothered me personally. I've never really been able to equate on-screen avatars as being representative of a person - they're just pixels and data. And the players are all guys until I hear them on Vent, at which point a female voice just makes it easier to distinguish between voices.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• whisperwyndwhisperwynd Member UncommonPosts: 1,668

From a purely `technical`point of view in most games, female toons are smaller, and the camera is usually behind you. So, seeing mobs pr players is sometimes easier see.

No? Oh well, had to try...

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Hmmm....I've played all of the Tomb Raider games and all of the Splinter Cell games.

I play both female and male characters in MMORPGs.

What am I? 

Then again....why does anyone care?

• DaywolfDaywolf Member Posts: 749

You mean like my Goth Pirate Girl? lol

What of it?! O_o

She's HOT! :D

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• zencommandozencommando Member Posts: 33

Once I did a philosophy course on "normality and abnormality", and I wrote one of the term papers on this subject.   There are many different reasons why men play female avatars.  We could divide these along two axes, hetero and auto, as well as social and personal for each.

Hetero-Personal: This is your standard "If I'm going to stare for all those hours I'd rather it be a female ass."  These guys roll a female model because they continually enjoy admiring the curves of the body, the movements, etc.  

Hetero-Social: Similar, but this tends more towards the young boy crowd, where they heterosexually admire the female model in various social settings mimicking activities you could also watch real girls do (e.g. non-sexual activities that most games provide).  

Auto-Personal: "auto" is for self, so this is for the enjoyment of oneself projected into the female character.  In some cases this is purely sexual (see autogynephilia), in other cases it is simply not (admiring non-sexual aspects of women's bodies, such as their flexibility; America is so bad at this, we can easily imagine a women projecting herself into the strength of a man without her wanting the sexual role of a man).  

What if a guy just plays a female because he wants an avatar that stands out from the innumerable male avatars?

Or maybe he does it because it makes some in-denial homophobe uncomfortable. 

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Originally posted by neonwire

I fail to see the immorality in an MMO. These are roleplaying games.....or at least they are referred to as such. If a guy wants to roleplay as a girl and he manages to pull it off to such a degree that he fools everyone into thinking he is female then that simply means he has roleplayed his part very well indeed. The only people who will be offended by it will be the saddo's who are using these games to try and chat the real people up behind the characters......and lets face it who really cares about those types of people anyway?

You are entitled to your opinion of course as I am to mine. Fortunately we are all free to do as we choose and our individual opinions dont really matter to everyone else. Guys will always be free to roleplay as women and there isnt anything anyone can or should do about it. The only people who will be offended by it are the ones who deserve to be offended.

There's still a line in that sort of situation. RP-ing as a female is one thing, and if you're good at it, well, props to you, have fun. But when you start deliberately screwing with someone and get them emotionally invested... Just because it's online doesn't automatically make it different or less wrong than it would be if you did it in real life.

Yes, it can be argued that a person is foolish to look for a real relationship in an MMO, but by the same token, everyone's different. For every "creep" who goes around trying to chat up people online, you also get the person who's simply more open to that sort of thing, and is vulnerable to being taken advantage of. Just my opinion.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

Originally posted by MehveFor every "creep" who goes around trying to chat up people online, you also get the person who's simply more open to that sort of thing, and is vulnerable to being taken advantage of. Just my opinion.

lol who needs to go around? It often comes full flight two barrels loaded, and at times with the most bizarre and offensive one liners! I actually feel sort of sorry for girls that play girl avatars, I didn't know why so many quit until. But my Avi turns into a werewolf at midnight, so she gets her revenge ;)

Now before any try to get in my head to figure out why, well I made her. I make Avi's/game characters, but I have no prob running around with them in-game :D and have no prob when others do. I have some game friends that scratch their heads though haha! It's like "stop staring at my chest!" lol

M59, UO, EQ1, WWIIOL, PS, EnB, SL, SWG. MoM, EQ2, AO, SB, CoH, LOTRO, WoW, DDO+ f2p's, Demo’s & indie alpha's.

• Calind0rCalind0r Member Posts: 735

I play female characters because I don't RP or imagine myself to be a character, it's a puppet and I'd rather stare at a female than man-ass all day.

Originally posted by Calind0r

I play female characters because I don't RP or imagine myself to be a character, it's a puppet and I'd rather stare at a female than man-ass all day.

Well that is sort of the key to actual RP, you detach yourself from the game character, then have them act as you would improv a fictional character, the way they would act. Lot's of people play themselves in game though, you'll find some of them trying to find an in-game gf that they hope to marry some day ;) then they get mad when guys are behind girl characters (even if not hitting on them). I'm not lookin for online relationships :P too much fun playing in actual RP communities to dork the game with relationships. I go to rl places to meet, like how they did it in the olden days.