Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: What We Know

123457»

Comments

• keeperskeepers Member Posts: 2

Of course all MMO's now a days are going to emulate WoW in some way shape or form, but its not made by blizzard and since blizzard is currently selling their old servers, then it is completely something new...ish.. and how do we know HOW the game plays.. its not even in Alpha yet, so why dont we comment on what we DO know, and that is that it is made by bioware and lucas arts, and so far they have NEVER let their players down, not like blizzard has and does regularly.. I believe that this game will top wow 110% in everyway from storyline to actual game play, but again from what i have read, and the things I have watched as well as the individuals I spoken to that work for the companies above, and IF I am wrong, I will gladly admit it, but  I dont think I am so we shall see.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by keepers

Of course all MMO's now a days are going to emulate WoW in some way shape or form, but its not made by blizzard and since blizzard is currently selling their old servers, then it is completely something new...ish.. and how do we know HOW the game plays.. its not even in Alpha yet, so why dont we comment on what we DO know, and that is that it is made by bioware and lucas arts, and so far they have NEVER let their players down, not like blizzard has and does regularly.. I believe that this game will top wow 110% in everyway from storyline to actual game play, but again from what i have read, and the things I have watched as well as the individuals I spoken to that work for the companies above, and IF I am wrong, I will gladly admit it, but  I dont think I am so we shall see.

First of all, not all MMOs try to emulate WoW, there are some who try to be different. Second of all, regardless of the testing stage, TOR is in testing and some people do know how the game plays.

• Quinlan-VosQuinlan-Vos Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by Izure

IMO this is so wrong.

I doubt anyone from SWG will play SW TOR the same way as they did that game.

SW TOR IMO is a CO - OP game with a SUB fee, just another professional company, never making a mmorpg, see the market and trying to copy a WOW with a different theme.

Wrong reasons to make a mmorpg. SWG didnt die because it was crappy/outdated, it died cause the Devs were complete retards and screwed up the game.

SW TOR will never be a replacement for SWG(SWG isnt dead yet, pre-cu :)), just a 1-3 month long roller coaster, nothing more imo.

That said, these are speculations and non facts, but knowing bioware and seeing their updates thus far, I think its safe to say this game is going to be very linear, and very short lived, like any roller coaster.

I disagree with this completely. I believe anyone who can afford the sub fee will switch from Galaxies to SWTOR in a heart beat because this one will be much better.

If they saw how much money WoW was making and said lets copy WoW, then they wouldnt get anywhere! They need to BEAT WoW by making a WoW killer not a copy.

I beleive they are making an mmorpg as an apology for how bad galaxies was.

I am adressing your topic and not you Izure. I hope you do not see this as an attack on you, and if you do I apologize.

*Jesus te ama*

• Quinlan-VosQuinlan-Vos Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by heartless

Originally posted by keepers

For all of those MMO Doubters out there, please remember that Star Wars was out WELL before WoW was even a twinkle in the eye of its creator, SW: TOR is NOT a "WoW Clone" it is a Star Wars MMO, nothing more or less, I believe I will play the game and then give my opinion of the game at that time not before, so please everyone this isnt politics there is no reason to get volitile, just wait patiently like everyone else out there and play it when it gets released, there is no reason to give your opinion about trailers, because those can change, and ya never know, you might just really enjoy playing TOR, and then you'll be eating the negative feedback you've given about a game that isnt even out yet.  This is all I have to say about the matter.

TOR is going to be similar to WoW in the way it plays, not SWG. That's why people call it a "WoW clone." The setting doesn't matter, it's all about how it plays.

The setting does matter... Wouldn't know about wow clone not a game that ever took my interest.

You're missing my point. The game seems to be very similar to WoW in how it plays; it follows the same formula. The setting is important, sure, but if the game plays a certain way, it is what it is. The phrase "WoW-clone" in this case implies that the game shares a lot of certain features that were adopted and copied by Blizzard when they created WoW.

I agree with all of you guys. Keppers is right because we should play the game before we give our opinion about it but then this forum topic is pointless, all the things people say here are speculation or hopes not facts.

Heartless is right too but how hard would it to kill WoW without copying the game style? do you think a game like tetris could be a WoW killer if it became an MMORPG? I'm just saying that the arguement "WoW clone" is a haymakers arguement because most MMORPG's are clones with your discription therefore making the arguement irrelavant because all are alike in the gameplay. the most popular MMORPG's today follow a similair guideline which makes what MMORPG's are today. The day someone can make a game worthwhile in the world's eyes that is not part of this rut MMORPG's are in, is the day we get holographic or virtual games.

Isane is 100% right the setting does matter =)

*Jesus te ama*

• severd-xseverd-x Member Posts: 49

The age old wisdom, dont judge a book by its cover is tried and true.  But when pertaining to MMO's, this advice should be thrown out.  When I get the feeling the artwork for the game is ment to capture an audience that includes my five year old sister.  You couldn't get me a stick long enough to keep me away from this pile of bubble gum.  Let them pile their mountains of cash and burn it in their mediocrity.  Bunch of lieing bastards, they've got this awesome ass concept art that makes you go hell ya and then they show the game...  Really guys, lego land is allready online.  Seriously