Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: Returning to Vanguard

Comments

• professerprofesser Member Posts: 102

Originally posted by elocke

I agree with this 100%.

However, once you hit about level 22-25 you are going to start hitting walls. Solo leveling walls at least. Even joining a large guild, I still wasn't able to overcome that level hump, since they were running endgame raids.

I ended up unsubscribing because of this, but it wasn't for lack of trying on my part. I even looked up how the game is supposed to be run at those levels and found about 10 to 20 different world dungeons with TONS of group quests that would have helped with those humps IF there were anyone around to do them with. Sadly, everyone in the game seems to be on the high end and it shows.

If they ever, somehow address this issue or throw in a ton of solo leveling content for those humps, I would come back in a heartbeat. You are spot on about the classes in Vanguard. I actually wish they didn't limit you to only 12 characters and made it more like WoW where I can have a total of 50. This way I can roll one of each class, they are THAT good and fun and well designed.

There is that content 'wall' in your mid twenties, but onec you get back there is a plethora or content for 30+. I always had a hard time with this and would loose interest in the game too, but once I pushed pass the wall it was well worth it.

Now there is so much content for me I have to manage my quest log so it dosen't get full (thats 50 quests). I suggest every one gives this game another chance, you will not be disappointed.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

Well, I've officially got my account going. Need to decide on a race/class, but once I get that far, I'll be in like flynn.

Not doing the Isle (I've done it 100 times), going to do the racial starting city instead, but I'll be around. I'll update this post with char information, in case anyone feels like looking me up. :P Always fun to meet new people!

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

Unless they start developing / changing this game there is no chance in hell for it to survive. I don't understand this story. Has so much changed over the last months? It is basically a good game but the lack of population and developement/support are showstoppers.

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• DreamionDreamion Member UncommonPosts: 287

I've gone back and forth with Vanguard, solo, 36 shaman. Going to resub with some friends sometime this or next month, probably going to play on the US server because its more there than the EU one, anyways, if you are a solo player looking for ppl to play with, let me know and we can start together. Remember VG is a team-based game.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Originally posted by almalexius

Unless they start developing / changing this game there is no chance in hell for it to survive. I don't understand this story. Has so much changed over the last months? It is basically a good game but the lack of population and developement/support are showstoppers.

It makes a lot of sense actually. As you just said, the game is basically good, but it lacks population. This is the way to bring more people in. Creating a newbie guild, arranging groups class setups, play-times, etc.

REALITY CHECK

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

The last producer of the game left without even saying goodbye.

The current producer of vanguard is working on EQ2 right now and has been pulled away from the game for months at a time.

There is no marketing campaign that will revive the game.  Either from players or soe, because it does not address the core issue that the owners of the game are not commited to its success.  The lagging population is a result of the games problems, not the cause.  Getting more people (especially from false of misleading representations) will only be a temporary fix as they will end up leaving just like the people who did when vanguard didn't have huge populations issues. 

Yes, the populations issues are a result of the problems with the game and not the cause.  Some may not agree, but it is the truth.

The only way the game will rebound is if soe sells the game to someone interested in developing it or they publically commit to making a real effort.  Anything short of that will not change the game.

I'm all for getting people to try the game, because I think people should see the finer points of the game to know what could be possible in an mmo, but the efforts to attract new players need to be upfront and honest.  Sell the game 'as is' and highlight the finer points is a good approach.  Saying Vanguard might have brighter days ahead without something to hang that hat on I feel is very misleading as the article is written. 

Originally posted by Thillian

It makes a lot of sense actually. As you just said, the game is basically good, but it lacks population. This is the way to bring more people in. Creating a newbie guild, arranging groups class setups, play-times, etc.

Well, I've seen a ton of people since I started. The isle was filled last night and the night before. I've decided to start off the Isle however, and started in Tursh on a Thestran and even then, I saw people and when I did a /who all it showed 40 and asked to refine my search.

I think as far as population goes, its rising and that gives me hope that people will find the game enjoyable and decide to stick with it for a while. It's a great game, we just need people to not give up hope and stick it out. The more people = the more groups.

Come on guys, lets play. :P

• jtgluckjtgluck Member Posts: 5

By show of hands, does anyone know of an issue / bug free MMO ?  Anyone ?  Oh you in the back, what's that ?   No the bathroom is down the hall sir,   so .. anyone else ?  Alright then.

Touch meh bod-E

Originally posted by jtgluck

By show of hands, does anyone know of an issue / bug free MMO ?  Anyone ?  Oh you in the back, what's that ?   No the bathroom is down the hall sir,   so .. anyone else ?  Alright then.

Does that somehow mean all mmos are equal in some fashion and that severness and quantity of problems does not matter?

Every country in the world has crime, currency and the like, but I wouldn't try to suggest that all countries are equally safe or economically stable. 

Game A having 50 bugs will not make Game B run any better or worse. 

• trahetrahe Member UncommonPosts: 41

Originally posted by Daffid011

Originally posted by jtgluck

Does that somehow mean all mmos are equal in some fashion and that severness and quantity of problems does not matter?

Every country in the world has crime, currency and the like, but I wouldn't try to suggest that all countries are equally safe or economically stable. 

I've played many games with bugs and will admit that if the game gives me something that the other games doesn't give me I'll stick with it through the bugs and be happier.  If the games doesn't quite have "it", then I'll drop it.

What I am saying, simply put,  is the fact that Vanguard still has a few minor bugs here and there shouldn't deter anyone from playing the game.

This game is nothing like it was at release. This is not only in response to you Daffid but also to some of the posts I read where people were citing certain quests and abilities not working properly. None of these issues are gamebreakers and are common in all MMO's.

I just don't want people to attach the minor issues the game has now to the massive amounts of gamebreaking issues VG had at launch.  Which honestly I haven't had any issues since I started back last summer with bugs, quests, or otherwise; hell they even gave my class a new pet companion. I used to joke that the new pet was so that I wouldn't feel completely alone while questing.

In direct response to Daffid011,"The lagging population is a result of the games problems, not the cause."

This was a true statement in 2007-08. This is no longer the case. The population issue is the largest issue with VG now and it's self perpetuating unless someone steps up to the plate for VG SOH.  I guarantee a substantial boost in VG subscribers would pique SOE's interest. No for-profit company is going to shy away from more profits.

Touch meh bod-E

Another  issue that I haven't seen discussed is the fact that today, compared to when Vanguard released in 2007, there is a lot more competition in the MMO market. Mainly the free to play MMO's. With the western economic crunch I know some people personally, who can barely afford a monthly game subscription. That compounded with the variaty of Free and subscription based games available to us are both likely contributors to the low pop for Vanguard. Oh and let's not forget the consoles. I know several people who have quit MMO's in the past year or so and now play console games instead.

I currently have subscriptions to Vanguard, World of Warcraft, Champions Online, and Darkfall. I also play League of Legends which is free.... and I just downloaded Steam, might start playing some CSS again.

Touch meh bod-E

• BerjahBerjah Member Posts: 3

it's a cool game - decent PvE crack for sure.

If you like dungeon crawls:

you'd be amazed at some of the drops buried deep in this game, and they are not cakewalk to get either.   there are very cool places to explore and when it comes to dungeons, there is not one game out there that has better dungeons.   Not even eq/eq2.   And they're not cartoony dungeons either, a la big-wow.   They are bad-ass old-school dungeons for the most part - tons of fun, lots of quests, lore etc, even nice trains in some =)

If you like exploring:

roll a bard and have a blast!   Vanguard is one giant perpetual world (2.5 continents).   As you stand and look around, you can go anywhere you want.   If you see it, you can head directly there and visit it - its very cool.   Most games make you travel through a valley, or walk through some stupid magical portal if you just want to travel to the next zone, which is BORING!!!!!   In Vanguard, you can just go whereever you please.

If you like the Z-Factor ( Tha'ts FLYING for you nubs ):

YOU WILL LOVE VANGUARD!   Vanguard has hands-down the best vertical features/challenges in any game around.   Levitation in Vanguard is like a dream come true, you can lev out over ENORMOUS cliffs, mountains, valleys.   The terrain was designed for this, so its not an after-thought.   And if levitation wasn't enough, you can rent / buy / or win your own Flying Mount in Vanguard.   Nobody does flying mounts like Vanguard - nobody.   To take off on a flying mount in Vanguard, is like flying around in a freakin flight simulator - it is so very cool.   You can see for days and you can go whereever you want.   You can fly over mountain ranges, cities, rivers, whatever and whichever direction you choose.

Bottom line:  If you like Adventure, Vanguard is definately for you.   I could go on and with page after page of comments on various vanguard features - there are so damn many, but really, its up to you to check it all out.

P.S.  Ive been playing since launch on and off.  I am not a fan-boi by any stretch of the imagination - I am simply a realist.   For all mmorpg players, and in my opinion, VG is the best thing around atm...

just wanted to add... don't confuse the Isle of Dawn ( I call it the Isle of Lost Nubs ) with the rest of Vanguard.   The Isle of Lost Nubs was designed to cater to nubs and has many restrictions on where you can explore / fly.   The remainder of the Vanguard world is definately not like that....

• almalexiusalmalexius Member UncommonPosts: 180

Originally posted by Berjah

just wanted to add... don't confuse the Isle of Dawn ( I call it the Isle of Lost Nubs ) with the rest of Vanguard.   The Isle of Lost Nubs was designed to cater to nubs and has many restrictions on where you can explore / fly.   The remainder of the Vanguard world is definately not like that....

Call it as you want but it is the one area where you actually encounter some people now and again ^ -^

WOW,eq2,Vanguard,WAR,LOTRO,AOC,Rift Aion, SWTOR, TERA.

Currently playing GW2.

• ArckenArcken Member Posts: 2,431

Originally posted by Isane

Originally posted by Deborion

every thing about vanguard sounds good.

but after NGE and everything i read about SOE after that...

simply never again

You choice but a poor one. I hope you never get any set backs in real life with your attitude. Burning bridges may be honourable but isn't always the best approach.

Im inclined to agree.

• ZeletorZeletor Member Posts: 150

Huh, I've read every response to this article, and what I find interesting is that for every person that says "There's nobody to play with," there's another person (or two) that say "I have no trouble finding people to play with." This was my experience also, I had no trouble finding people to play with (partly because I happened to find a great guild), but friends of mine coming back to the game couldn't even find groups in Trial Isle.

My advice, if you're interested at all by the article or forum discussion, download the free trial and play it, I mean what have you got to lose besides a few hours that you would've spent telling Chuck Norris jokes in Stormwind anyway, right?

Currently playing: LOTRO, Guild Wars 2.
    Have played: EVE Online; Champions Online; Age of Conan; City of Heroes/Villains; Star Wars Galaxies (pre-CU, pre-NGE); World of Warcraft (Vanilla to Cataclysm); Hellgate: London; Warhammer Online; Lord of the Rings Online; Vanguard: Saga of Heroes; Star Wars: The Old Republic
    Wishlist: Mass Effect Online

Call it as you want but it is the one area where you actually encounter some people now and again ^ -^

You're off your mark then, because I've been playing the last two days and I did not restart on Isle of Dawn but instead on the mainland in both the Goblin and Human starting areas and have seen a decent number of people in both.

The population of this game, whether it be from this particular thread or just coincidental has shown me that the population is more on the rise than anything else. It may have gone down since launch, but most games do. This game has had the most hardships of any game aside from perhaps SWG, that I can think of, and yet, it still has its major supporters who have been here since launch, and now a variety of retrials or resubbers who are enjoying it.

I see people everywhere.

Originally posted by Zeletor

Huh, I've read every response to this article, and what I find interesting is that for every person that says "There's nobody to play with," there's another person (or two) that say "I have no trouble finding people to play with." This was my experience also, I had no trouble finding people to play with (partly because I happened to find a great guild), but friends of mine coming back to the game couldn't even find groups in Trial Isle.

My advice, if you're interested at all by the article or forum discussion, download the free trial and play it, I mean what have you got to lose besides a few hours that you would've spent telling Chuck Norris jokes in Stormwind anyway, right?

You, I agree with completely. I have no trouble finding people, but perhaps its just because I've been patient. Right now, as I said above, I think the population is rising and there are a lot of people retrying or resubbing the game.

Again, I'll say what he said, if any of this thread has sounded good to you, give the game a go. If you haven't played it in the last two years, it's definitely worth a look.

Everyone, including myself, seems to keep saying, "Well I'd come back if the population were larger," but we're part of the problem folks. Sub, play, the population grows with each person. :P

It is possible that the population is starting to self migrate with the announcement that mergers are coming.  Combine that with a few vanguard articles could produce a decent bump for 1 server.  Assuming we are all on seradon.

Originally posted by Daffid011

It is possible that the population is starting to self migrate with the announcement that mergers are coming.  Combine that with a few vanguard articles could produce a decent bump for 1 server.  Assuming we are all on seradon.

The majority of those coming back are indeed saying they're joining Seradon, mainly because of our new mmorpg.com guild, lol.

But both Seradon & Xeth are at Medium during prime time, so... I'm not sure if it really is the migrating, but anything is possible I guess! :) Does seem to be a large number of people showing up in the evenings, however.

• Sid_ViciousSid_Vicious Member RarePosts: 2,177

I would resub if there was a healthy population on the FFA PVP server, but would only play occasionally as I have found another game that I like more.

NEWS FLASH! "A bank was robbed the other day and a man opened fire on the customers being held hostage. One customer zig-zag sprinted until he found cover. When questioned later he explained that he was a hardcore gamer and knew just what to do!" Download my music for free! I release several albums per month as part of project "Thee Untitled" . .. some video game music remixes and cover songs done with instruments in there as well! http://theeuntitled.bandcamp.com/ Check out my roleplaying blog, collection of fictional short stories, and fantasy series... updated on a blog for now until I am finished! https://childrenfromtheheavensbelow.blogspot.com/ Watch me game on occasion or make music... https://www.twitch.tv/spoontheeuntitled and subscribe! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvqULn678VrF3OasgnbsyA

Originally posted by Zeletor

I can sort of explain this:   the VG world is big - so big that there are areas people rarely visit.   Sad but true.   In fact, the continent Kojan, which is home to the original starting areas for orcs, goblins, wood elves, and others, has been pretty much a ghost continent for 2.5 years.   Back in the day, at launch and all, that area was packed with people.   I can't tell you how many times I've seen a Kojan nub type in chat something like "is there ANYBODY out there?"  "Hellooooo?"   You just have to explain that most people don't start there nubs there anymore.

There are plenty of people playing, but they get scattered out in the large world.   They are sometimes tough to find, but if you ask in chat, I can nearly *GUARANTEE* somebody will give you some advice on where to go to find a group.  (maybe not in Kojan though haha)

And for the soloer, this game is a Godsend.... That's right... I said Godsend.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014

And for the soloer, this game is a Godsend.... That's right... I said Godsend.

I agree!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DubhlaithDubhlaith Member Posts: 1,012

I tried a trial much earlier, and I loved most things about the game. But, as for many people, the bugginess stopped me from making this my game of choice. I would be willing to give it another try if they were to give me another chance to play a trial session.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true — you know it, and they know it." —Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

WTF? No subscription fee?

Originally posted by Dubhlaith

I tried a trial much earlier, and I loved most things about the game. But, as for many people, the bugginess stopped me from making this my game of choice. I would be willing to give it another try if they were to give me another chance to play a trial session.

Just click the VG Trial in my signature, and sign up, try it again. We started up an MMORPG guild, so far when I left last night there were 48 people in the guild, everyone is currently active, and we have some still feeling it out on trials in our mmorpg chat channel. That is the second VG link in my sig.

I think the game has really been improved personally, I've come across no bugs and the only crashes I've had were from screwing with files for a UI, so that was my own fault (and I remedied that problem quickly :) ).

Anyhow, can't lose anything by giving another shot, except maybe a few hours of playtime, and even then, you probably won't feel you've lost anything! :P