Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alganon 2.0 - No reason to want the game now :(

TheAncientTheAncient Member Posts: 67

Pay for the client and then pay for needed items with alpha tested instances?

Had held out from closed beta (harumpff, now there was a stretching of common tech terminology) that this game would improve, but can no longer take the game seriously. Add a certain real life character to the fray who is in your face and generaly offensive IMHO and the answer is no.

Had hoped for serious improvements. :(

Comments

• rznkainrznkain Member Posts: 539

Originally posted by TheAncient

Pay for the client and then pay for needed items with alpha tested instances?

Had held out from closed beta (harumpff, now there was a stretching of common tech terminology) that this game would improve, but can no longer take the game seriously. Add a certain real life character to the fray who is in your face and generaly offensive and the answer is no.

Had hoped for serious improvements. :(

I think they did a good job with bringing the game up to what it should have been at launch,not a ton of new content added but that wasn't the main focus of this launch and pretty sure no were did they claim it would be or was.The client as you said is 20 bucks you had already paid for that if you wanna buy items from the shop buy them but by no means do you have to have them to keep playing it.GL in w/e game you end up in.

• BainrowBainrow Member UncommonPosts: 29

I don't understand all the hate for this game.   I suspect ulterior motives in some cases.  The graphics and gameplay are top notch in my opinion. If you haven't played, by all means get the TRIAL and see for yourself. With slim pickins' for mmo's right now, I think you'll be passing up a great game here. 

• DeadalonDeadalon Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Bainrow

I don't understand all the hate for this game.   I suspect ulterior motives in some cases.  The graphics and gameplay are top notch in my opinion. If you haven't played, by all means get the TRIAL and see for yourself. With slim pickins' for mmo's right now, I think you'll be passing up a great game here. 

Slim pickings?   lol - what planet are you from ?

There are MANY free to play titles that have better quality than what Alganon is offering. 

• BainrowBainrow Member UncommonPosts: 29

Okay.. Name 3 of them that you think are better. I played ROM for a few months and thought that game was pretty good. I'm not looking to be combative. Just wondering which games you think are better.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282

Okay.. Name 3 of them that you think are better. I played ROM for a few months and thought that game was pretty good. I'm not looking to be combative. Just wondering which games you think are better.

Allods Online

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Guild Wars.  Same price, same sub model, no arrogant jerk of a lead.

DDO.  No cost to play, and still the best RMT example out there.

And you already know ROM.

• dsmartdsmart Member UncommonPosts: 386

The game is just fine and is as expected. Like all games, it is not everyone's cup of tea and those who play it tend to like it. If you don't like it, don't play it and just move on.

Here are some reviews of this 2.0 official release

[Mod edit]

Game developers are just human beings who happen to make games for a living.
    If you want to hold us up to higher standards of conduct, then go ahead
    ...but don't be surprised if we don't uphold them.

• SurethSureth Member UncommonPosts: 69

Get back on topic please.

• DeadalonDeadalon Member Posts: 79

Originally posted by Sureth

haha - U just made some1 very mad right now !!

But to the topic.

Alganon is not a P2P title in its current form. Call it 2.0 ... or 99.0.  Its a F2P quality game that just isn't worth the orginal payment.  If it will be worth it some day ?  Who knows...

But again... in its current form - its not worth the orginal payment.

IMHO ofc !

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,179

Originally posted by dsmart

The game is just fine and is as expected. Like all games, it is not everyone's cup of tea and those who play it tend to like it. If you don't like it, don't play it and just move on.

[Mod edit]

You have no right, especially on a forum that is not your own, to tell us not to post our opinions if they do not shine a pleasant light.

IMO, Alganon is a medicore copycat of what's been done before with an added study system. The graphics are average and the combat is nothing to write home about. It might do well as a F2P game, but I doubt it has a lot of potential as it stands.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

[Mod edit]

You cant have your dictatorship here, unlike your own forums where any criticism is deleted with no explanation. I have no idea why your coming on these forums and attacking us, you should be spending the time you fight over the net on actually working on it so people would buy it. Your attitude has probably scared more buyers than what you have during peak times, which isnt much really anyways. Your whole i'm correct your all wrong thing won't work, in the end your going ot have a game that you want not us. Hopefully you understand something i said...

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

The game from closed beta to the first release was not alot different in terms of bugs being fixed or game issues.  With the release of 2.0 there is a huge difference in how the game plays.

Yes some bugs are still there from day one, but then WOW has some of the same also.  It is more now worth the $20.00 dollars. Sure not worth a sub price... yet.  But in terms of being worth $20.00 worth. Yeah it is.  As one of the suckers to buy year subs, it will be interesting to see if we truly get that money back.  I mean hell I spend $20.00 bucks on a lot worse games on steam. Tribute, nothing there worth buying that you can not get in the game with alittle time.

What makes the game not woth buying. Well we all know that answer is Derek K Smart. From his rude and no respect at all for the INVESTORS customers "read that INVESTORS" not....dumb...ehh sorry "SMARTS" customers. His attidude to the gamers and future customers is beyond childish. He truly has driven off more customers then I would imagine the Investors know of.

Anyhow the game is worth $20.00 bucks for gameplay. Not worth the $20.00 for the amount of disrespect that Derek Smrt "that is how you spell smart right Homer?" has given to the community along with  present and future INVESTORS customers.

• twhinttwhint Member UncommonPosts: 559

To sum it up, try the trial and decide for yourself. There are lots of better games out there, but if you're bored, why not?

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Well, much of the hate lately has been because of the antics of Mr Smart.  Before that it was the usual howling about it being a WoW clone. I was part of the original community, and spent almost a year defending the game. Why? Because I believed in Dave Allens vision for the game, and I liked the community that had grown up around it.  I checked it out last night(I have a max level soldier).  Some of the issues have indeed been cleared up, props for that.  But the game is still dead in the water population wise.

If Mr Smart had kept his posts civil and in tune with what one would expect from a professional, the original community would still be intact. and Alganon would have a better chance of some limited success as a nich game.  But thats not what happened.  At this point, I simply do not see much future for the game. The money, talent and time required to turn it into a higher level game are very unlikely to be invested because of the reality of the situation. 

As for the graphics, the environment is mid level(pretty good, but not great). But the character art assets need a great deal of work.  The game play dynamics need to be tightened up.  The netcode revamp has helped, but some of the talent cool down cycles need to be re examined. 

I've not tried any of the instances yet, as they are group based, and as I mentioned the game population is really low.  Any way, I wish them all the best of luck.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • japojapo Member Posts: 306

I bought this game shortly after the first (aka soft) launch and gave up.

I wanted to try it again after this latest release and made it about halfway through the download.

Then I stopped the download.

I wanted to try this game again, but all these smart ass comments by DS put me in a position of hoping this game fails.  He really needs to go back to 5th grade and learn how to treat people.

The nice thing about being a customer is that I can chose who gets my time and money.  Derek Smart does not get to chose who his customers are....I mean "were".

• HakiemHakiem Member Posts: 35

I'm redownloading the client as I type.  I went in to give it another go round and much to my surprise I had a real hard time reading the Text in the Quest Giver Boxes and in the Mailbox.  It was mentioned by Parilis here http://www.alganon.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4870-hard-to-see-text/page__fromsearch__1 that there was an issue and I guess I have the issue. "Fun" not.

The same thing is on my wifes computer so I'm guessing a number of players have this issue.

I started to check population today and found that at 1:oo P.M. PST there were 22-humans & 7-Kujix on the Adrios Server,  7-humans & 8-Kujix on the Hokk Server, & 12-humans & 6-Kujix on the Trial Server.

At 5:oo P.M. PST there was 22-humans & 10-Kujix on Adrios, 9-humans & 7-Kujix on Hokk, & 17-humans & 8-Kujix on Trial Servers.

So the numbers haven't really gone through the roof at all.  I'll continue my observations and also see if the text bug gets cleared up.  I've also read in the Alganon forums that instances are having problems and since I'm a solo player I have to go on what others say as I'll probably not see the inside of one of these seeing as 2 level 45 players have trouble staying alive in the lowest of new instances.  Oh well.

Just Me,

Tim

If rainbows only come out in the rain then I would like it to rain at least once a day.

• AzerinAzerin Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Gabby-air

[Mod edit]

You cant have your dictatorship here, unlike your own forums where any criticism is deleted with no explanation. I have no idea why your coming on these forums and attacking us, you should be spending the time you fight over the net on actually working on it so people would buy it. Your attitude has probably scared more buyers than what you have during peak times, which isnt much really anyways. Your whole i'm correct your all wrong thing won't work, in the end your going ot have a game that you want not us. Hopefully you understand something i said...

You know, I've done my share of criticizing Alganon and even Derek, but I've noticed more and more of a trend on here where some posters seem to just wanna pick a fight with Derek when there's no need for one. In my opinion, despite his reputation, I really don't think he said anything with that post that could be construed as him trying to impede your right to voice your opinion. In a way, it's kinda dissapointing because it looks like folks are grasping at straws in effort just to get a ruse out of him.

We have to take a step back and realize too that he's just a dev trying to defend his game/company. I mean, there's one poster on these forums that finds it imperative to post "Ph.D" with every mention of Derek Smart. What is really being accomplished here? Nothing but pure jackassery. It's basically asking to be not taken seriously, because you can't post an honest to goodness opinion without referring to the controversial "does he or does he not" debate.

On topic, I tried the trial a bit, things definitely look a lot smoother than before and the new race intros are nicely done. I wanted to point out to Hakiem that I noticed they are having issues with their /who list, as not all players are showing up, even with wider search parameters like "/who 1-40". This is evidenced by the fact that I was chatting with players in the help channels who didn't show up in the list, so just take that into account when checking for population.

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Originally posted by Azerin

[Mod edit]

You know, I've done my share of criticizing Alganon and even Derek, but I've noticed more and more of a trend on here where some posters seem to just wanna pick a fight with Derek when there's no need for one. In my opinion, despite his reputation, I really don't think he said anything with that post that could be construed as him trying to impede your right to voice your opinion. In a way, it's kinda dissapointing because it looks like folks are grasping at straws in effort just to get a ruse out of him.

We have to take a step back and realize too that he's just a dev trying to defend his game/company. I mean, there's one poster on these forums that finds it imperative to post "Ph.D" with every mention of Derek Smart. What is really being accomplished here? Nothing but pure jackassery. It's basically asking to be not taken seriously, because you can't post an honest to goodness opinion without referring to the controversial "does he or does he not" debate.

On topic, I tried the trial a bit, things definitely look a lot smoother than before and the new race intros are nicely done. I wanted to point out to Hakiem that I noticed they are having issues with their /who list, as not all players are showing up, even with wider search parameters like "/who 1-40". This is evidenced by the fact that I was chatting with players in the help channels who didn't show up in the list, so just take that into account when checking for population.

To be fair, I don't think you saw the post before it was edited.  He kind of went off on a rant about how I seem intent on attacking him.  As it stands now, his post seems harmless, but that's what happens after the edit.

• japojapo Member Posts: 306

Notice the "Mod Edit" in his post.  The part that is still there is okay.  It's the edited part that's the problem.

In another thread he either removed his posts, or they were removed for him, because there were comments that just should not have been made.

He's rude and his comments do nothing to improve the perception of either him or the game.

• HakiemHakiem Member Posts: 35

Help channel is still both factions and the who I use only shows the side I'm logged into.

Just Me,

Tim

If rainbows only come out in the rain then I would like it to rain at least once a day.

• gordunkgordunk Member CommonPosts: 114

I'm gonna go out on a limb here...

There is nothing that can save this game...there never was, and never will be.  If it was  F2P title, the game would be mildly popular and fall back into relative obscurity along with all the rest of the f2p games.  For $20 I can do so much better.  TF2 is 20 dollars, so is CSS I think...

Don't waste your time, it's a terribly generic fantasy MMO, and unless Mr. Smart had planned to rewrite the game from scratch, it wouldn't have been worth anyone's time.  Not his fault, although it seems his reputation isn't exactly stellar.

Originally posted by zeowyrm

Originally posted by Azerin

[Mod edit]

To be fair, I don't think you saw the post before it was edited.  He kind of went off on a rant about how I seem intent on attacking him.  As it stands now, his post seems harmless, but that's what happens after the edit.

Fair enough, I honestly didn't realize that wasn't his whole post, as I didn't catch it before the mod edit.

Originally posted by Hakiem

Help channel is still both factions and the who I use only shows the side I'm logged into.

Just Me,

Tim

I stand corrected then, I thought it was maybe a bug or something. If indeed then those are your population counts, it looks disheartening for the game's community.

• ElmarollyElmarolly Member Posts: 60

Hakiem's numbers are pretty much dead on. Right now at 7:41pm MST there is 71 players from all the servers combined.  So yeah the numbers are pretty sad for a relaunch.  I feel so sorry for the Devs that are left. Derek needs to leave the company if they want to have any chance of having a job in a year.

He is doing so much harm to the present and future Investors customers that those players do not want to put their money into a company that lets their "leader" show no respect for the players that can make the game succeed.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

Originally posted by Sureth

I have a question. If any of us regular peon members had as many "mod edits" as this so-called "developer", we'd have perma bans.

Why is he still here?

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-