Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Rift: Planes of Telara: HoT gets new name and direction

VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,641Member Uncommon

New name and new website for this project it seems, with plenty of new material on the spanky new website. New all round really.

http://www.riftgame.com/en/

It seems PvP is now a primary focus, which dissapoints me a little, but we shall see how it's handled.

On a plus note, the trailers show in game footage of a game that seems pretty advanced for a game which I assume is pre alpha.

Comments

  • HarabeckHarabeck Here, MEPosts: 616Member

    Originally posted by vesavius

    New name and new website for this project it seems, with plenty of new material on the spanky new website. New all round really.

    http://www.riftgame.com/en/

    It seems PvP is now a primary focus, which dissapoints me a little, but we shall see how it's handled.

    On a plus note, the trailers show in game footage of a game that seems pretty advanced for a game which I assume is pre alpha.

    A primary focus? It sounds like it's tacked on like Wow. If PvP was a primary focus I'd definitely give this game a go.

  • SweetZoidSweetZoid HindPosts: 437Member

    This looks much better than Heroes of telara!

  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

    PvP is not a primary focus of the game, I dunno where you get that idea :P

     

    Everything announced so far is pretty much PvE content.

  • RaiveeRaivee Jonesboro, GAPosts: 48Member

    It is a PVE-orientated game, PVP is not required. That's dev confirmed...and plz don't ask for source because I'm tired atm.

  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

    Raivee is right,

     

    They have not announced any of the PvP systems yet, except for the fact there is two factions...But so far it sounds like they may get a chance to work together on some things. The game is a PvE focused game, though so don't be disappointed :D

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,641Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Valentina

    PvP is not a primary focus of the game, I dunno where you get that idea :P

     

    Everything announced so far is pretty much PvE content.

    As I understood from reading it, the rifts will now be a driving part of the game and a source of loot, and guilds will be able to pvp for control of them. Also, a few of the statements made made me think along these lines;

    "Player vs. Player (PvP) combat will definitely exist inside of Rift in many forms and fashions... as you can probably guess, these Rifts are the primary characteristic of the game."

    "As a way to truly bring players together across the world, create factional conflict..."

    "The moment a rift spawns and word gets out, it could become an instant hotspot for PvE and PvP alike - and yes, there will be PvP between the more lawful Guardians and more chaotic Defiants, naturally. The two factions could cooperate to seal the rift and get loot for all... but then again, why help your enemy gear up? Why not sabotage their attempt?"

    "Two major factions have emerged to save the world of Telara from the rifts: the Guardian and the Defiant. Each faction works in different ways to preserve Telara's future, and both seek to undermine the other."

    I don't know... I don't know anything much about this game, the website is still very light, but it just seemed to me that PvP was indeed A focus (I didnt say THE focus as in, say, Darkfall). It was the impression I got.

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,641Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Raivee

    It is a PVE-orientated game, PVP is not required. That's dev confirmed...and plz don't ask for source because I'm tired atm.

     I actually am gonna ask for a link to the source, but not because I doubt you, but because I want to know more... :)

  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Managing Editor Berea, OHPosts: 2,356MMORPG.COM Staff Uncommon

    As Vesavius says, the impression we were given is that the game is indeed primarily about the PvE content, but the reason for two factions, aside from having two distinct looks between classes and races, is probably for PvP.  I just don't think PvP will be the main focus, as much as it is an optional path to partake in.

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,641Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by BillMurphy

    As Vesavius says, the impression we were given is that the game is indeed primarily about the PvE content, but the reason for two factions, aside from having two distinct looks between classes and races, is probably for PvP.  I just don't think PvP will be the main focus, as much as it is an optional path to partake in.

     Say that when you are trying to shut down a rift and 3 Defiant guilds steamroll you to take it for themselves...

    I don't see much optional there ;)

    Just to be clear here tho... If PvP is handled well in terms of level/ gear/ location, focused, and they have strong anti cheat protection in from the start, then maybe it will all be good. I am very interested in the whole project right now I have to admit, especially now that I have seen that Scot Hartman has the helm.

    I have an open mind.

  • ValentinaValentina Los Angeles, CAPosts: 1,675Member Uncommon

    As long as PvP isn't an open gankfest I'm good with it.

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,641Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Valentina


    As long as PvP isn't an open gankfest I'm good with it.

     Yeah, for sure. Had enough of that with Aion recently.

    Maybe they will fix it that it is 'switched on' at a rift hotspot, or at least localised/ flagged. At the least I hope there is a penalty for ganking (as in stealing a cheap no skill kill) or killing lowbies just for the lolz of it.

    The worst way this game could go, in my eyes, is to allow 100% full open world unrestricted PvP. it would be such a betrayel of what attracted me to it in the first place.

  • VesaviusVesavius BristolPosts: 7,641Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Valentina


    As long as PvP isn't an open gankfest I'm good with it.

    Val, I have had this quote pointed out to me by Forcequit, as well as some other stuff from the FoH boards by Scot Hartman, that heavily suggests that there will multiple rules servers for PvP and PvP, something I can only welcome.

     

    From their FAQ:

     



    Will there be Player vs. Player combat in Rift: Planes of Telara? 

    Player vs. Player (PvP) combat will definitely exist inside of Rift in many forms and fashions. More details will be released about our PvP systems and servers in the upcoming future.



    My interest is once more rekindled :)

Sign In or Register to comment.