Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

you guys still stuck in mmorpgs?

Comments

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

This troll thread is still going?  Did they take down the "increased moderation" sticky?

I mean at least let users post without bumping a thread.  Even my calling out this guy as a troll only contributes to his ability to troll if I can't post without bumping.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Originally posted by Axehilt

This troll thread is still going?  Did they take down the "increased moderation" sticky?

Yeah... they haven't really stuck with the increased moderation it seems =/ I know several members that don't come to these forums anymore because of all the trolling and flaming.

• MMO-ManiacMMO-Maniac Member Posts: 176

Nope, not stuck in MMOs.

I play them for fun, and if they stop being fun I move onto the next one.

Also got my Wii. When My MMO fix meter is filled, I'll fire it up and play old favorites like Super Metroid, Mario RPG, and others.

Or I load up No More Heroes(1 or 2) or Super Mario Bros Wii, maybe Punch Out.

I have a PS2, but it's in a box. No game store around here will take it used.

Oh yeah, I have that new really big DSi. MMMmmm, love me some portable fun. Super Robot Taisen Orginal Generation Saga Endless Frontier is my current DS fav.

As a side not, I dont watch TV. Don't have cable, Direct TV, or whatever nonsense thinks thier shit is da shiznit.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by MMO-Maniac

As a side not, I dont watch TV. Don't have cable, Direct TV, or whatever nonsense thinks thier shit is da shiznit.

This make you not only an MMO-Maniac but a very cool dude aswell image

To the OP, I used to be stuck on apples but now I eat oranges.

• IzorkIzork Member UncommonPosts: 381

Really, the current MMOs SUCK, and you know it.

That's why I play console games. I'm actually having fun while playing a game on my PS3, watching a BR movie. It's much more fun than the current MMOs, and that everyone knows. I will keep playing PS3 and GTA:IV on my PC till some good MMO comes out.. which will be 6-7 months or more.

I don't see why you have to flame console "gamers" why they have to be less intellegtual. Since my hobby is computer, my computer has the best recent parts, and I use it for gaming. I play games like GTA:IV, CS:S,BBC2,Dirt2 etc. On my PC. I then use my PS3 for games like Oblivion, Uncharted 2 (Only PS3, best game ever), Assassins Creed 2. I love third person rpgs on my PS3. I never play FPS on PS3 for example, I can't take it not using a mouse / keyboard. But RPGS is DEFENTLY fun. And Blu-Rays on PS3 is amazing. It's also one of the best Blu-Ray players you can get.

I don't get the flaming really.. Hardcore MMO players can play consoles aswell!

• ZookzZookz Member Posts: 244

I can't believe this got six pages. I read the OP and  immediately facepalmed. 

Why, yes, OP I still do enjoy wasting my time with MMO's just as you enjoy wasting your time with console games. 

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

Originally posted by Izork

Really, the current MMOs SUCK, and you know it.

That's why I play console games. I'm actually having fun while playing a game on my PS3, watching a BR movie. It's much more fun than the current MMOs, and that everyone knows. I will keep playing PS3 and GTA:IV on my PC till some good MMO comes out.. which will be 6-7 months or more.

I don't see why you have to flame console "gamers" why they have to be less intellegtual. Since my hobby is computer, my computer has the best recent parts, and I use it for gaming. I play games like GTA:IV, CS:S,BBC2,Dirt2 etc. On my PC. I then use my PS3 for games like Oblivion, Uncharted 2 (Only PS3, best game ever), Assassins Creed 2. I love third person rpgs on my PS3. I never play FPS on PS3 for example, I can't take it not using a mouse / keyboard. But RPGS is DEFENTLY fun. And Blu-Rays on PS3 is amazing. It's also one of the best Blu-Ray players you can get.

I don't get the flaming really.. Hardcore MMO players can play consoles aswell!

This is a joke right......

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

Originally posted by Rajen

Originally posted by Axehilt

Yeah... they haven't really stuck with the increased moderation it seems =/ I know several members that don't come to these forums anymore because of all the trolling and flaming.

no...they are active....just got off a ban today.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

This is my response.

I figured I haven't written here in awhile and I actually had some more to say that would of took up too much of this already epic thread.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by girlgeek

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by brostyn

You still stuck on your ps3?

uh...yeah, this.

I did the console thing when I was a kid, man.....kinda grew out of that.

I second this....

or I guess third it.

My children play console games though.

As does mine. But that's OK, because that's the target audience ;)

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

The assumption that console games are directed only to children is false. Remember GTA? That's just one example. Some of you are taking a ridiculous stance that you're more mature or "better" when you play PC games. Jeez guys open your eyes.

Your days of Mario and whatnot you played are long gone. Console games can be just as good as PC games. Thing is, you don't have to update the hardware every (other) year and every game runs automatically. Not only that but the controller is far better than mouse and keyboard in some games such as sports games, driving games etc.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by girlgeek

uh...yeah, this.

I second this....

or I guess third it.

My children play console games though.

As does mine. But that's OK, because that's the target audience ;)

Dude most games on PC are on Consoles also.

A ton of mmos are targeted toward kids on Pc.

oh and im sure microsoft and sony both target the 18-34 demographic.

I mean how many games have Sony or Microsoft released that were actually kids games?

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by Quirhid

The assumption that console games are directed only to children is false. Remember GTA? That's just one example. Some of you are taking a ridiculous stance that you're more mature or "better" when you play PC games. Jeez guys open your eyes.

Your days of Mario and whatnot you played are long gone. Console games can be just as good as PC games. Thing is, you don't have to update the hardware every (other) year and every game runs automatically. Not only that but the controller is far better than mouse and keyboard in some games such as sports games, driving games etc.

Holy crap I actually agree with Quirhid... quick someone check if Hell froze over.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• poison1212poison1212 Member Posts: 9

and whats the most played MMO WoW! oh were all so mature growing out of consoles to WoW.

• KenaoshiKenaoshi Member UncommonPosts: 1,022

and big fail for those who came up with "one is for more mature audience than another", gamepad/mouse&keyboard dont prove maturity, and nowadays both plataform offer the same repetitive gameplay with very few exceptions.

Just stop the nonsense, every +/-5 years the table turns,  PC tops, then console tops then again and again... and just in quantity not in quality(wich is very personal) /close thread plz.

now: GW2 (11 80s).
    Dark Souls 2.
    future: Mount&Blade 2 BannerLord.
    "Bro, do your even fractal?"
    Recommends: Guild Wars 2, Dark Souls, Mount&Blade: Warband, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning.

• DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366

Goddamnit, i need to find a pencil... to stab my eyes out with. I can't believe this is even a thread, with some kind of discussion. Who cares!!!!... do what ya want, play what ya want, and have fun doing it.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

Originally posted by Pinkerl

uh...yeah, this.

well i grew up with video games. back in late 80s my family bought the original nintendo. own super nintendo. own genesis but sold it. own ps1. own ps2. own ps3.

when i was a kid i always play video games then i saw many adults play games on pc so i thought it was cool and then i got into it. from fps to rts to mmo. yes mmo i spin on it the most. lineage 2 2.5 years. silkroad 1.5 years. guild wars 9 months. wow trial. eq2 trial. aoc trial. try all mmo floating around both free and subscription.

now grow older realize mmo is so boring no depth... run around retirve this retrieve that kill this kill that. pvp in mmo is not skill base so no fun on pvp either. i grow out of mmo...

its like i think whatever adults do is automatically cool.... cause a kid like myself dont know how to think intelligently yet. mmo was never my type grow up and notice.

comparring mmo to console games.... mmo is so boring. if i want online play... todays gen console has kick ass online. u can even kick someone ass online on tekken 6, sc4, super sf4. i can play modern fps on console without breaking my wallet due to hardware. mmo is so classic. mmo is out of style. unless new breed of mmo is born.... maybe blade and soul.

i am not going backward... im evolving. experience and learn.

And I owned an Atari 2600 when I was around seven years old. What's your point?? I grew out of consoles after the SNES....and havn't looked back.

Maybe you just weren't playing good MMORPGs. Maybe you weren't playing good PC games in general.

I can play a modern FPS on my PC.....without breaking my wallet on hardware. I don't have to spen $400-600 dollars every couple years on a new console, and my games are far cheaper, and last for months or years instead of 2 weeks to a month.

Consoles are a waste of money, and offer shallow, flashy gameplay with no longevity. You can have 'em.

You don't have to spend 400$ or 600$ on new hardware every couple of years. Instead, you have to pay far more in upgrades to play the latest game.

The average PC game does not have more content, depth or longevity than the average console game.

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224

I love MMORPG's and multiplayer games.

In fact, ever since MMORPG's, I actually lost my ability to even enjoy singleplayer RPG's.

The only games I enjoy now are FPS games (multiplayer only), multiplayer strategy games (RTS or Turn-Based), multiplayer classic games (Nes, Snes, Sega...kindof) and console games (multiplayer or REALLY REALLY good game I have ALWAYS loved like Megaman or Resident Evil. But those would be so much better multiplayer)

But honestly... besides FPS and RTS games which I still love and can have a BLAST playing-- MMORPG's are the only addictive (healthy, fun "I wanna play! But other things in life are important too." addictive) fun, consistent, awesome games ever.

I love MMORPG's. The idea of permanent, real value (character progress on a server where you CANNOT cheat, CANNOT alter, and it is PERMANENTLY there- gains and losses) and the idea of NEVER BEING ALONE is amazing. I literally can't enjoy myself if I feel alone in gaming anymore. Idk why...

I guess because multiplayer gaming is so incredibly fun and fulfilling; there is no singleplayer experience that could ever match the enjoyment of it. I love a living, breathing world. A living, breathing society. Real players to tease, befriend, or enemy. I love the static and permanance of skills, XP, gold, and items.

• KruxKrux Member Posts: 274

you guys still stuck in mmorpgs?

hehe.  This is rich.  Yea, like walking into an italian restaurant and asking, in bewilderment, "you guys like italian food?"

Yes, I like italian food (mmo's) over a bowl of captain crunch (console games).

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

"Hello honey, I'm still stuck in mmorpgs, but it seems to be clearing up so I'll be there for dinner!"

Originally posted by Gameloading

uh...yeah, this.

well i grew up with video games. back in late 80s my family bought the original nintendo. own super nintendo. own genesis but sold it. own ps1. own ps2. own ps3.

when i was a kid i always play video games then i saw many adults play games on pc so i thought it was cool and then i got into it. from fps to rts to mmo. yes mmo i spin on it the most. lineage 2 2.5 years. silkroad 1.5 years. guild wars 9 months. wow trial. eq2 trial. aoc trial. try all mmo floating around both free and subscription.

now grow older realize mmo is so boring no depth... run around retirve this retrieve that kill this kill that. pvp in mmo is not skill base so no fun on pvp either. i grow out of mmo...

its like i think whatever adults do is automatically cool.... cause a kid like myself dont know how to think intelligently yet. mmo was never my type grow up and notice.

comparring mmo to console games.... mmo is so boring. if i want online play... todays gen console has kick ass online. u can even kick someone ass online on tekken 6, sc4, super sf4. i can play modern fps on console without breaking my wallet due to hardware. mmo is so classic. mmo is out of style. unless new breed of mmo is born.... maybe blade and soul.

And I owned an Atari 2600 when I was around seven years old. What's your point?? I grew out of consoles after the SNES....and havn't looked back.

Maybe you just weren't playing good MMORPGs. Maybe you weren't playing good PC games in general.

I can play a modern FPS on my PC.....without breaking my wallet on hardware. I don't have to spen $400-600 dollars every couple years on a new console, and my games are far cheaper, and last for months or years instead of 2 weeks to a month.

Consoles are a waste of money, and offer shallow, flashy gameplay with no longevity. You can have 'em.

You don't have to spend 400$ or 600$ on new hardware every couple of years. Instead, you have to pay far more in upgrades to play the latest game.

The average PC game does not have more content, depth or longevity than the average console game.

It does have more in content. Especially with games like Oblivion or Fallout.

It does have a lot of longevity as well.

Also, the graphics are unmatched. PS3 and Xbox360 graphics are @*&;@ compared to a medium gaming pc. The resolutions go a lot higher on ALL games as opposed to consoles which don't always support higher resolution (some games are 720p only.)

The input (mouse and keyboard) is a lot better than the keyboard when it comes to controlling, aiming, accuracy, and speed. The difference is unmatched. Anyone amazing at a controller would be even better with a mouse.

The amount of programs to run in addition to games is far greater, thus producing even more content of an entirely different variety.

PC games are cheaper. Better graphics.

And once you have a good PC, at most you will only have to upgrade your video card every few years, which isn't going to be too expensive.

Yes, PC's are more expensive to purchase and to upgrade than consoles. But that's the extra price you pay for increase in quality in every way. A huge point you have to take into account for though is that gaming computers are both a GAMING SYSTEM and a COMPUTER. People with consoles still use computers to do everything they need and want on...and in today's society computers are a necessity and the internet is almost a need just for its entertainment and educational value; it's such an amazing want. So by having a great gaming pc, you are always spending your money on a great computer. To be honest, since everyone is rather going to have a Console + Crappy Computer or a Good Computer, the ACTUAL COST of upgrading from a basic computer into a gaming computer isn't more expensive than a console. In fact, for the most part it's significantly cheaper as long as you aren't screwed over by Best Buy or some @$$hat corporation.

Also, upgrades are cheap if you want to remain on-par with console graphics. Playing at a 720p resolution is what most xbox and ps games play on, which is rather ridiculous they're missing 1080p capability. To play on medium settings at 720p resolution does NOT require a high-end graphics card. It actually requires a low-entry gaming graphics card, which isn't very expensive at all compared to consoles. To people capable of upgrading their PC's with a video card, it will definitely be cheaper than buying a console since almost everyone already has a computer for basic life use and a lot of people who can upgrade have a good enough system where all they need is a graphics card.

Oh, and PC games are mostly free and have amazing servers to play on. Console games are hosted by players, have lower max players, lag ridiculously (I think it's a joke to play on consoles bc of the lag), the fact the host always has a lag advantage, and you can't customize your own servers.

Servers to play on are an entirely different feature full of an infinite amount of content. To my knowledge you can't (or people don't) have Xbox360 servers to play FPS games lag-free, and they can't mod those servers to have cool features like admin priviledges, personal mods, tweaks, or whatever the hell they feel like adding.

Unfortunately, console ports like Modern Warfare 2 take away almost all the features of online multiplayer PC gaming by not allowing servers. Other games like Left4Dead2 make it inherently more difficult/annoying to run your private server to discourage them. Rather that, or the developers are just lazy and money hungry. (That too)

But for the most part- PC's ALWAYS offer startling better graphics in every way, and the almost-infinite potential to mod mod mod. The price? To be honest, since everyone needs a computer in addition to their gaming console, it being more expensive is actually debatable. In many ways, it could be cheaper (even including the 2 year later video card upgrade)

Originally posted by Angelof2070

Originally posted by Gameloading

uh...yeah, this.

It does have more in content. Especially with games like Oblivion or Fallout.

It does have a lot of longevity as well.

The amount of content on the console versions and PC versions is exactly the same for both of those games. The only way Oblivion and Fallout have increased longevity is by player mods. Few mods actually add a significant amount of gameplay content and even less adds anything that matches the quality of the content already in there and added through.

Also, the graphics are unmatched. PS3 and Xbox360 graphics are @*&;@ compared to a medium gaming pc. The resolutions go a lot higher on ALL games as opposed to consoles which don't always support higher resolution (some games are 720p only.)

The graphics on consoles are crap compared to a medium gaming PC? Not really. Games like Uncharted 2 and Battlefield Bad Company 2 give any PC game a run for its money. Uncharted 2 cleaned house in the graphics awards last year. The only games which look significantly better than console games are the Crysis games.

The input (mouse and keyboard) is a lot better than the keyboard when it comes to controlling, aiming, accuracy, and speed. The difference is unmatched. Anyone amazing at a controller would be even better with a mouse.

A mouse and keyboard system only works well with a few genres. This is why you rarely see platform games, fighting games and hack and slash games on the PC. Racing games and sports games also control significantly better with a controller.  A controller works well with every genre.

The amount of programs to run in addition to games is far greater, thus producing even more content of an entirely different variety.

PC games are cheaper. Better graphics.

PC games are only 10$ cheaper at release. You need to buy a huge amount of games to make up for the difference in hardware costs. On top of that, consoles give you the option to rent games and buy them used.

Most PC games do not have better graphics than console games.

And once you have a good PC, at most you will only have to upgrade your video card every few years, which isn't going to be too expensive.

You will eventually have to upgrade nearly every component of your PC. When you buy a console it can last easily up to 7 years or longer. You don't have to buy any upgrades in that timeframe.

Yes, PC's are more expensive to purchase and to upgrade than consoles. But that's the extra price you pay for increase in quality in every way. A huge point you have to take into account for though is that gaming computers are both a GAMING SYSTEM and a COMPUTER. People with consoles still use computers to do everything they need and want on...and in today's society computers are a necessity and the internet is almost a need just for its entertainment and educational value; it's such an amazing want. So by having a great gaming pc, you are always spending your money on a great computer. To be honest, since everyone is rather going to have a Console + Crappy Computer or a Good Computer, the ACTUAL COST of upgrading from a basic computer into a gaming computer isn't more expensive than a console. In fact, for the most part it's significantly cheaper as long as you aren't screwed over by Best Buy or some @$$hat corporation.

You can do everything the average person needs to do on a very, very cheap PC. The costs of buying a console + a pc is actually cheaper than buying a single gaming pc or upgrading an average system to a gaming ready PC.

Also, upgrades are cheap if you want to remain on-par with console graphics. Playing at a 720p resolution is what most xbox and ps games play on, which is rather ridiculous they're missing 1080p capability. To play on medium settings at 720p resolution does NOT require a high-end graphics card. It actually requires a low-entry gaming graphics card, which isn't very expensive at all compared to consoles. To people capable of upgrading their PC's with a video card, it will definitely be cheaper than buying a console since almost everyone already has a computer for basic life use and a lot of people who can upgrade have a good enough system where all they need is a graphics card.

Upgrading or buying a PC that can do what a console can do is more expensive than actually buying a console. You will have to buy better hardware than what the console has to get the same results as a console. PC games are terribly optimized when compared to console games.

Oh, and PC games are mostly free and have amazing servers to play on. Console games are hosted by players, have lower max players, lag ridiculously (I think it's a joke to play on consoles bc of the lag), the fact the host always has a lag advantage, and you can't customize your own servers.

The only games that are free are usually indie games. Console games have build in matchmaking to match up players that will have a good connection. Dedicated servers can lag as well if you're not connected to one near you.

Servers to play on are an entirely different feature full of an infinite amount of content. To my knowledge you can't (or people don't) have Xbox360 servers to play FPS games lag-free, and they can't mod those servers to have cool features like admin priviledges, personal mods, tweaks, or whatever the hell they feel like adding.

Dedicated servers do not make a game lag free. Games on consoles may not have the customization that PC games have, but in return you have significantly less hacking and cheating in console games than PC games.

Unfortunately, console ports like Modern Warfare 2 take away almost all the features of online multiplayer PC gaming by not allowing servers. Other games like Left4Dead2 make it inherently more difficult/annoying to run your private server to discourage them. Rather that, or the developers are just lazy and money hungry. (That too)

But for the most part- PC's ALWAYS offer startling better graphics in every way, and the almost-infinite potential to mod mod mod. The price? To be honest, since everyone needs a computer in addition to their gaming console, it being more expensive is actually debatable. In many ways, it could be cheaper (even including the 2 year later video card upgrade)

Actually, PC's offers neglectably better graphics for a significantly higher price.

Most of your reply is just not true at all.

I don't really see the point in refuting your response when you make obviously false claims such as "Computers do not have better graphics than consoles."

Take two monitors, get the same game (try Modern Warfare 2, that's a popular cross-platform game) and then load them both up. One on a console, the other on max settings and max resolution on the PC.

The difference is clearly obvious.

Your arguments are as weak as "There is barely any difference between 720p and 1080p."

I would simply say "Maybe YOU don't notice a difference." but in reality, you would. It would be very obvious to even those without much perception or care for quality of texture resolution.

Also, player made mods introduce an infinite possibility of extra content. Your argument of "Console Oblivion and PC Oblivion have the same amount of content...excluding player mods." is like saying 100 is equal to 1000, if you just take away a zero.

Also by FREE, I meant to play online with multiplayer it's free.

Xbox360 costs monthly.

PS3, doesn't. So I guess it depends on the console. I hate microsoft, and dislike the 360 and xbox fanbois.

Originally posted by Angelof2070

Most of your reply is just not true at all.

I don't really see the point in refuting your response when you make obviously false claims such as "Computers do not have better graphics than consoles."

Take two monitors, get the same game (try Modern Warfare 2, that's a popular cross-platform game) and then load them both up. One on a console, the other on max settings and max resolution on the PC.

The difference is clearly obvious.

Your arguments are as weak as "There is barely any difference between 720p and 1080p."

I would simply say "Maybe YOU don't notice a difference." but in reality, you would. It would be very obvious to even those without much perception or care for quality of texture resolution.

Also, player made mods introduce an infinite possibility of extra content. Your argument of "Console Oblivion and PC Oblivion have the same amount of content...excluding player mods." is like saying 100 is equal to 1000, if you just take away a zero.

The difference between Modern Warfare 2 on consoles and PC is almost completely neglectable. Your whole argument about PC games having superior graphics is ridiculous when Uncharted 2, a console exclusive, won more graphic awards than any PC game released in the same year.

Player mods for the most part are trash. Rarely something worthwhile is added.