Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

you guys still stuck in mmorpgs?

Comments

• neonwireneonwire Member Posts: 1,787

Originally posted by Aganazer

My best friend got back from traveling the world for years, seeing the wonders of the world, having sex with countless exotic and willing women, and helping to support and teach the citizens of a few third world counties. He asked me if I was still playing MMOG's. It made me feel small. Small enough that I took a couple years off to do the same.

Someone that has been playing a PS3 asking if I am still stuck playing MMOG's doesn't seem to have the same effect. If anything I feel sorry for him.

That sir is a very good reply.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

No, I actually only play EQ2 on and off and I hate it, so much! I'm kinda waiting for that MMO that will make me happy again, like WoW did when I first started playing. But WoW has attrified and is no longer entertaining, and has lost any element of challenge it ever had. I tend to play games on the PC since my PC eats consoles for breakfast.....and cause Keyboard+Mouse = headshot

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Its  socially acceptable to play PC games as an adult, tell someone your on Xbox live as  a 40+ year old and im pretty sure you will get some looks.

It has nothing to do with the actual videogames themselves but the platform. Quite a few PC only players play the same single player games console gamers enjoy.

Society is kinda fucked up.

Play magic the gathering and your a nerd but playing texas hold em makes you a social cool guy/gal.

Buy a comic book as an adult and be considered a loser adutl thats basically still a kid, yet hold a graphic novel instead and your cool and artsy.

Just do what you want and to the people that consider holding a controller a childs activity, you dress up a cyber doll and chat with people you dont know all day. its basically the evolution of the sims. I wouldnt be too proud of yourselfs or have a holier than thou attitude over console gamers lol.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Originally posted by Rockgod99

Its  socially acceptable to play PC games as an adult, tell someone your on Xbox live as  a 40+ year old and im pretty sure you will get some looks.

It has nothing to do with the actual videogames themselves but the platform. Quite a few PC only players play the same single player games console gamers enjoy.

Play magic the gathering and your a nerd but playing texas hold em makes you a social cool guy/gal.

Buy a comic book as an adult and be considered a loser adutl thats basically still a kid, yet hold a graphic novel instead and your cool and artsy.

Just do what you want and to the people that consider holding a controller a childs activity, you dress up a cyber doll and chat with people you dont know all day. its basically the evolution of the sims. I wouldnt be too proud of yourselfs or have a holier than thou attitude over console gamers lol.

For the most part I would have to agree with this.

Whether its' through work, my circle of friends or my musical colleagues, a good many of them (read most) don't play any such games. Oh sure, some play a game here and there but to the extent that many of us play, hang out on forums, talk about it, have extensive knowledge of such things, they just don't sign into the same type of vibe.

So in no way shape or form could I even hope to legitimize myself to any of the people I know by saying "but you don't understand, I play on PC. It's different".

Because in the end it really just boils down to "they are all video games and they all have something to offer and all have their issues".

As I have gotten older it became very apparent that anyone who tries to play the "I do 'this' therefore I'm better/more advanced/more intelligent/more socially adept" card really needs to look around.

To someone out there you will be considered a pariah. And it's just too tiring to please everyone so my thought is "dont'".

Just do your thing and stay out of other people's faces.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

I haven't played on my console for years. My 10 year old has taken it over.

Console games lack depth, unlike PC games.  even my son states he would rather play on teh 360 and PS3 cause it's just easier.

• Electro057Electro057 Member UncommonPosts: 683

I agree with the above two posters. Really most people I know think video games are for the socially inept and slow, so no matter what platform you play, if my experiences have taught me something, normal people are gunna look at you with shame.

--Custom Rig: Pyraxis---
    NZXT Phantom 410 Case
    Intel Core i5-4690 Processor - Quad Core, 6MB Smart Cache, 3.5GHz
    Asus Sabertooth Z87 Motherboard
    Asus GeForce GTX 760 Video Card - 2GB GDDR5, PCI-Express 3.0
    Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 16GB

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Why get a console, when eventually almost all games come out on PC.  No more wishing you had a certain console just to play a certain game.  Paying for the game and the console is a steep price for just a game.

Only console I own and have set up is my Wii.  It's fun to have family night with the Wii.  Even Grandma can bowl!

• GrungiGrungi Member Posts: 86

I wonder if this is a cultural thing?

Half of the guys I work with routinely play PS3 or Xbox and many of them are over 40. It's not considered socially unacceptable in the slightest. The stereotype is that lasses watch soaps, and lads watch sports or play video games.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

Originally posted by Electro057

normal people are gunna look at you with shame.

It was a bit of an epiphany the day I realized just how fucked up everyone else in the world is. There are no "normal people". The sooner you realize that, the sooner you can get on with not giving a shit about what they think.

Originally posted by Sovrath

For the most part I would have to agree with this.

Whether its' through work, my circle of friends or my musical colleagues, a good many of them (read most) don't play any such games. Oh sure, some play a game here and there but to the extent that many of us play, hang out on forums, talk about it, have extensive knowledge of such things, they just don't sign into the same type of vibe.

So in no way shape or form could I even hope to legitimize myself to any of the people I know by saying "but you don't understand, I play on PC. It's different".

Because in the end it really just boils down to "they are all video games and they all have something to offer and all have their issues".

As I have gotten older it became very apparent that anyone who tries to play the "I do 'this' therefore I'm better/more advanced/more intelligent/more socially adept" card really needs to look around.

To someone out there you will be considered a pariah. And it's just too tiring to please everyone so my thought is "dont'".

Just do your thing and stay out of other people's faces.

agreed.

The day someone gave me shit over playing DnD and collecting the infinity gauntlet comic book set was the day I knew i needed to tune peoples opinions of hobbies out and enjoy my own thing.

like what you like.

If i took what those people thought to heart I would have never discovered Viking metal and god damn it i need my viking metal. m/

• XKhallusXXKhallusX Member Posts: 31

LOL people are hilarious .... oh i grew up and got out of console gaming! as if MMOs are so complicated.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

I thought all MMOs nowadays suck and we have to go back to UO and SWG or the genre will fail hard. I can't believe there are still people enjoying MMOs.

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319

If i took what those people thought to heart I would have never discovered Viking metal and god damn it i need my viking metal. m/

Oh awesome! I never heard of viking metal. I've been looking for something that goes well with my Black Saboth, Corrosion of Conformity, and The Sword collection. I think I just found it.

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Oh awesome! I never heard of viking metal. I've been looking for something that goes well with my Black Saboth, Corrosion of Conformity, and The Sword collection. I think I just found it.

Wow, I don't know many people who listen to Corrosion, bravo.

Im addicted to Amon Amarth. I cant fucking pvp in any game without Amon Amarth's Tattered and blood playing off the twilight of the thunder god album.

Oh and Viking metal is basically Melodic death metal but the dudes sing about swords and battle and stuff lol.

Originally posted by maskedweasel

Wow, I don't know many people who listen to Corrosion, bravo.

CoC is awesome Im big into 90's metal also. CoC, Prong, Pantera, white Zombie, Fear factory, Life of Agony... Holy shit just some great music right there.

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183

Originally posted by Pinkerl

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

Originally posted by brostyn

You still stuck on your ps3?

uh...yeah, this.

I did the console thing when I was a kid, man.....kinda grew out of that.

well i grew up with video games. back in late 80s my family bought the original nintendo. own super nintendo. own genesis but sold it. own ps1. own ps2. own ps3.

when i was a kid i always play video games then i saw many adults play games on pc so i thought it was cool and then i got into it. from fps to rts to mmo. yes mmo i spin on it the most. lineage 2 2.5 years. silkroad 1.5 years. guild wars 9 months. wow trial. eq2 trial. aoc trial. try all mmo floating around both free and subscription.

now grow older realize mmo is so boring no depth... run around retirve this retrieve that kill this kill that. pvp in mmo is not skill base so no fun on pvp either. i grow out of mmo...

its like i think whatever adults do is automatically cool.... cause a kid like myself dont know how to think intelligently yet. mmo was never my type grow up and notice.

comparring mmo to console games.... mmo is so boring. if i want online play... todays gen console has kick ass online. u can even kick someone ass online on tekken 6, sc4, super sf4. i can play modern fps on console without breaking my wallet due to hardware. mmo is so classic. mmo is out of style. unless new breed of mmo is born.... maybe blade and soul.

i am not going backward... im evolving. experience and learn.

And I owned an Atari 2600 when I was around seven years old. What's your point?? I grew out of consoles after the SNES....and havn't looked back.

Maybe you just weren't playing good MMORPGs. Maybe you weren't playing good PC games in general.

I can play a modern FPS on my PC.....without breaking my wallet on hardware. I don't have to spen $400-600 dollars every couple years on a new console, and my games are far cheaper, and last for months or years instead of 2 weeks to a month.

Consoles are a waste of money, and offer shallow, flashy gameplay with no longevity. You can have 'em.

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

lol, exactly what i was thinking.

uh...yeah, this.

well i grew up with video games. back in late 80s my family bought the original nintendo. own super nintendo. own genesis but sold it. own ps1. own ps2. own ps3.

when i was a kid i always play video games then i saw many adults play games on pc so i thought it was cool and then i got into it. from fps to rts to mmo. yes mmo i spin on it the most. lineage 2 2.5 years. silkroad 1.5 years. guild wars 9 months. wow trial. eq2 trial. aoc trial. try all mmo floating around both free and subscription.

now grow older realize mmo is so boring no depth... run around retirve this retrieve that kill this kill that. pvp in mmo is not skill base so no fun on pvp either. i grow out of mmo...

its like i think whatever adults do is automatically cool.... cause a kid like myself dont know how to think intelligently yet. mmo was never my type grow up and notice.

comparring mmo to console games.... mmo is so boring. if i want online play... todays gen console has kick ass online. u can even kick someone ass online on tekken 6, sc4, super sf4. i can play modern fps on console without breaking my wallet due to hardware. mmo is so classic. mmo is out of style. unless new breed of mmo is born.... maybe blade and soul.

i am not going backward... im evolving. experience and learn.

And I owned an Atari 2600 when I was around seven years old. What's your point?? I grew out of consoles after the SNES....and havn't looked back.

Maybe you just weren't playing good MMORPGs. Maybe you weren't playing good PC games in general.

I can play a modern FPS on my PC.....without breaking my wallet on hardware. I don't have to spen $400-600 dollars every couple years on a new console, and my games are far cheaper, and last for months or years instead of 2 weeks to a month.

Consoles are a waste of money, and offer shallow, flashy gameplay with no longevity. You can have 'em.

The truth

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• galad2003galad2003 Member Posts: 167

Let's not forget that a mouse and keyboard are 100X better at FPS games which is mostly what consoles are about these days.

Also the current gen of consoles are so f'ing expensive how can anyone say PC's are more expensive. Well maybe they are if you are buying pre-built off the shelf crap like Dells but if you build your own you can get something way more powerful for way less. By the time you buy a PS3, X-box 360 and a Wii because for some reason console gamers have to have all of them.

last if they made the kind of games I like on consoles than maybe I would buy them.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

you guys still stuck in mmorpgs?

man ive been out of mmo world for so long. been playing ps3.. tekken 6 online and demon souls. getting super sf4. look back at my mmos days.... why the heck i wasted so much time on it? on something so boring. i dont know. just reality check. see if someone is out of mmo world like me.

Why are you wasting time on an MMORPG forum?

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942

yeah im playing console games cause mmos of today blow ass.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

To answer your question OP...

I don't play any games at the moment. Console gaming costs a ridiculous amount of money compared to MMO gaming though... $60 for 8 hours of content, or $15 for 30 days worth.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

uh...yeah, this.

I second this....

or I guess third it.

My children play console games though.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• Salio69Salio69 Member CommonPosts: 428

i was gone from mmos for a while. i went back to consoles and ive been having a blast playing little big planet online and modern warfare 2. i just recently started playing eve online again to get back into it for next month's expansion but i am finding myself drawn back more at my ps3. its just so much funner now. those of u older players knocking it really bad should give it a  try.  its not about pc being better then consoles or visa versa, its about how fun the games are.

• slessmanslessman Member Posts: 181

Actually, I really enjoy playing MMOs. I don't think that they are boring at all. I think that it is fun to play them and talk with people. I prefer the social aspects to playing the game. But, playing is fun too.

www.ryzom.com