Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EVE Online: Survivor Guy: New Eden - Week One

2»

Comments

• SaorlanSaorlan Member Posts: 289

Looks that was a successful derailment of a thread:)

Thanks for biting guys.

I love eve but will not play again until they have integrated it into Dust / Walking in stations.

• SkeltemSkeltem Member Posts: 68

To me it was a mixed read. Admittedly, I am a 'vet' and the view upon EVE by a new player is somewhat strange. If you learned it, it always seems so easy afterwards.

But at times I wanted to just excaim "No no NOOO! This is wrong."

There are many good advices here in this thread already. I don't know if the author actually reads it or wants to remain 'unspoilt'. But if he is following his course of action as laid out in this week's entry, I predict another person bored to death by EVE. Maybe one should never forget, we talk about a Massively MULTPLAYER Game.

• sadeyxsadeyx Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

How can I put this delicatly and in the spirit of Eve?.... What a load of bulllllshit!

Since when do you have to mine at all to build up credits?...  any player fresh out of the crib can instantly start level 1 missions, they will be more rewarding and accelerate you towards richess untold much faster than mining can.

The tutorials themselves give you nearly enough fire power and ISK to start on level 2's!!

Sorry, but I hate articles like this, it makes new players feel they have to mine... the most base, degrading and soul draining activitiy which is the number 1 reason why people fail to gleen any measure interest.

I look forward to correcting more of your misleading and entirly presumtious preachings.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Good article overall. My only advice is finish the sisters of eve story arc. It takes a couple of days and you will end up with 10 times the money you might make with a civ mining laser on veldspar. There is absolutely no need to do anything other than combat if you dont want to. There are missions etc that are good for people with even one week of eve skills trained. I am currenly in my 4th month of Eve so I just went through everything you are about to go through. In addition the corp I joined has recruited a good number of brand new players and I help them get through that first month too. The first month is the foundational month. By the time you finish it you should have a good grounding in the game and while you wont know everything you will know enough to get where you want to go.

Critical areas for a newbie: Finish all the tutorial missions...there is one for each career type.

Do the sisters of Eve story arc.

Join a player corp that is friendly to newbs.

Pick a direction that fits your playstyle.

Good Luck.

Also it only takes about 3 months to get enough skills to compete in Eve PVP if you are focused and know what your doing. This will either require the help of a friendly corp to give you direction or you wont quite figure everything out and it might take an extra month or two.

In Eve there are 3 levels of PvP. High security ...those with around 3 to 6 months of skills can compete here.

Low security....you can engage with a fleet at 4 or 5 months...but to compete well you probably need 8+ months...although there are oportunities for those with all skill levels.

Null security....anything less than a year and you need to be part of a fleet or big corporation. even with lots of skills and training and experience you need to be part of either a small tight highly experience corp or part of a large mega corp.

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Above poster doesn't have the slightest clue about pvp.

One is ready to kill people once one has learned how basic game mechanics work. It's the only restriction. Everything else just defines the set of targets one can engage, nothing more, nothing less.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

You can't judge EVE until you have experienced being a corp member. Joining the right corp is definitely the single best thing you could do to improve your game. Be aware that there are thousands of corps (too many really, CCP made it too easy and cheap to create and maintain them), and that lots of them are terrible. If the corp you join doesn't work out, dont be discouraged - there are also lots of good corps too. 

But even if the corp is bad, there are bound to be good people in it. Make friends. The personal connections and alliances that are made by players as they make their way through the game are probably the biggest asset older players have, and the biggest reason why we keep enjoying the game. Interaction with other players is the game.

And I will repost this:

(1) If you played other MMOs a lot before EVE, try and forget everything you learned in them as much as possible, particularly any expectations you have about other players being limited in how they can interact with you, and even more particularly any ideas about character advancement being the aim of the game rather than just another tool to advance your goals like wealth, assets, game knowledge and friends.

(2) If any warnings pop up, read them.

(3) While you will often be told "trust no-one", that's not quite true. What you should do is treat trusting anyone as if it were gambling. What are the odds? What are the stakes? What can I afford to lose? What's in it for him? Scams and ganks are perfectly legal in EVE, even in hi-sec.

(4) When older players give you advice about fitting ships, for the love of god, at least try following their suggestions.

(5) Don't listen to the morons who will advise you to train nothing but Learning skills to start with. Yes, doing that is more "efficient" when it comes to accumulating SP, but you're paying to play the game. A good rule of thumb is to spend no more than 50% of your training time on Learnings until you have basics at 4, advanced at 3. Then just leave them alone for a month or two.

(6) Don't listen to the people who tell you that you shouldn't leave hi-sec "until you're ready" and then tell you you will need x million SP or y ship class or z amount of ISK. You're "ready" to leave hi-sec when you want to leave hi-sec. I know people who left to live in 0.0 on their second day. I went to 0.0 after about 2 months, and I've frequently wished I went earlier. I would however recommend completing all the tutorials before leaving hi-sec.

(7) Don't listen to the griefers who spread the pernicious lie that you need 10/20/40M SP and a Battleship/HAC/Dreadnaught "to be competitive" at PvP. Player skill beats character skill in PVP. The best way for a new player to "compete" at PvP is to get out there and do it. Want to learn to PvP? Join Red vs Blue. They will accept anyone no matter what. They aren't a training corp; they exist purely to provide fun PvP on demand in Hi-sec. You can leave or rejoin at any time. If you get a taste for blood, you can get some great training with Agony Unleashed, who will teach you PVP procedures more formally and thoroughly.

(8) You don't have to grind missions to make ISK. Missioning is the EVE equivalent of being on welfare - a boring, low-level income for people who can't find a real job. There's a huge and complex economy out there, with a lot of opportunities for a thoughtful, alert player with a fast, cheap ship.

(9) Do ALL the tutorials.

(10) Everything I've told you is a cheap dirty lie designed to make you lose your ship to me and quit EVE, because I'm a nasty amoral griefer who doesn't want filthy noobs like you cluttering up my nice, l33t game.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Saorlan

Good luck trying to compete or even be on an even playing field with people that have played for years. In this game there is no hope of catching up as it is real time based.

Time = Skill gain =  fail.  

Eve = Fail.

Wrong on so many levels ..

There are a finite number of skills in the game, and only those that affect the ship your in AND it's fittings apply, the rest are IRREVALENT in pvp

16million SP in Missile Skills do not help an Abaddon pilot in the slightest

44million SP in Science and/or Industry skills do not help ANY pilot in (ship based) pvp

In Eve 1 5yr old vet versus 25 5day noobs = 1 dead/fleeing vet

In wow 1 5month old vet vs 25 5day noobs = 25 dead noobs (as they CANNOT hit the "veteran" player at all)

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The article writer might want to go back to his starter system and do the missions for the other career agents as well. You will receive ISK, free skills, equipment and ships. For example, buying that second civilian mining laser wouldnt be even necessary.

That way there is no need for the mining if you are not interesting in starting a mining career. If he wants a combat career and he finished those career agent missions (all agents, not just one ), he has the equipment and ships to do any lvl 1 agent's mission.

Might be a little harsh, but it sounds as if he is the lost noob already that he tried to avoid :p

• I love the way the article is written lol. It's like Man vs. Wild in Space. Hope you know how to make a bed with branches and shoe laces dude.
  • MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Originally posted by Rodentofdoom

In wow 1 5month old vet vs 25 5day noobs = 25 dead noobs (as they CANNOT hit the "veteran" player at all)

Indeed. That is a HUGE flaw in WoW's PvP.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Originally posted by sadeyx

How can I put this delicatly and in the spirit of Eve?.... What a load of bulllllshit!

Since when do you have to mine at all to build up credits?...  any player fresh out of the crib can instantly start level 1 missions, they will be more rewarding and accelerate you towards richess untold much faster than mining can.

The tutorials themselves give you nearly enough fire power and ISK to start on level 2's!!

Sorry, but I hate articles like this, it makes new players feel they have to mine... the most base, degrading and soul draining activitiy which is the number 1 reason why people fail to gleen any measure interest.

I look forward to correcting more of your misleading and entirly presumtious preachings.

Someone must have told this guy that mining was the way to make isk early on. I would rather run level 1s and salvage than mine in a frig bro.

Man you could salvage level 4 missions or be a complete douchebag like I was and buy a hauler and steal miners jet cans filled with ore LOL!!!!!

So many ways to play Eve.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• wlvnspectrewlvnspectre Member Posts: 96

If you are going to continue mining let me introduce you to something that will change your life my friend... Can Mining.

There are 2 types:

1. Jetcan Mining:  The "disapproved of" approach: you right click on your ore and jettison it into space. You can then open the can which can hold 27,000,000 m3 and will last about an hour and a half to two hours. Bad side is people can "Flip" your can (take ownership away from you) and will then be flagged as Red to you. The cans can also be destroyed. If this happens or you have a full can and hostiles come in, bug out. It isn't worth it, write it off as the price of doing business.

2. Secure Can Mining: The "approved" way of doing it. You can buy Secure cans that have passwords and come in various sizes. If you get the skill "Anchoring" (under Corporation Management) and train it to level 1 you can jetison the can from your cargohold into space, lock it in place (can't be within 5km of anything else), and then password protect it. Then all they can do is destroy it because they can't Flip it. The Bad is that they are MUCH smaller than a jet can.

Also get an Industrial Ship for transport of the ore.

Software I suggest you use

1. EVEMON  : The most user friendly of  Character Monitoring utilities

2. EFT:  EVE Fitting Tool. A utility that allows you to plan out your ship module fittings and show you what the effects of all the different fittings are on a ship without having to own any of them or even being logged in to the game.

3. EVEHQ:  A newer, not quite as polished but more feature complete and extensible EVEMON like utility that also has a built in allegedly more accurate and up to date version of a Fitting Tool built in.  The Bad is it is not as user friendly and doesn't auto update game info as often or as well as EVEMON and still is a little buggy compared to EVEMON and not as user friendly either. I run both just in case

Also I have one last suggestion. When you run missions sometimes there will be mineable asteroids there.  If you don't complete your mission right away, these asteroids tend to be a safer place to mine as they are less travelled  Also the mining can be very good on occasion.

• cichiceancichicean Member UncommonPosts: 18

Don't waste time on mining, at least not until u can mine arkonor or jaspet with at least one hulk boosted by an rorqual. Complete the tutorial missions from ur starting agent, move on to a better agent and keep doing missions until u feel confident enough to try any new experiences.