Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I can not quite understand some of the players

kb4blukb4blu Member UncommonPosts: 717

ok first off this is not a hate on WOW.  I am at the moment playing the game.  I know there has been a lot of posts on the WOW players but what I have been seeing lately is beyond the pale.

I was in a random group doing the stockades.  Things were going well when the tank decided to just quit.  He did say "Good luck MF'ers" when he left.   Then the healer just left.  We re-queued and after about 10 mins we get a new tank and a healer.  The healer then asked the mage for some water.  The mage told the healer to F--- off.  So the healer left.

To make a log story short we went through 13 different people because of rudeness, players arguing about "Needing" loot that could not be used by the player who won it,  people quitting when they ding, and so on.

I have seen 5 year olds playing together better.

I hate solo play and I want to group when I play an MMO. 

I know there are rude players in every MMO.  But I have never seen crap like this in any other MMO I have played. 

I have played MMOs since they started.  I just dont get it.

By the way finally I was the only one left and gave up.  We never finished the dungeon and it is probably one of the simplest ones in the entire game,

Comments

• CacaphonyCacaphony Member Posts: 738

Meh.  The only thing I can offer to you is to say,  join a guild.

Ive expierenced everything you have described and Ive pretty much given up on pugs.  My advise is if you want to do dungeons or if you just want to group... join a guild.

• BruceybabyBruceybaby Member Posts: 254

A post like this makes me want those Everquest days back so much more :o(

I remember this time a Wizard gave my lvl 30 wood elf warrior an entire set of gear for free. 

Players were a lot kinder back then, now MMOs are full of moronic 15 year olds, high on testosterone 

• KareshKaresh Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by Firebrawn

A post like this makes me want those Everquest days back so much more :o(

I remember this time a Wizard gave my lvl 30 wood elf warrior an entire set of gear for free. 

Players were a lot kinder back then, now MMOs are full of moronic 15 year olds, high on testosterone 

I'm one of those 15 year olds (not the ones you're describing though). Except for the fact that I've been playing MMO's for at least 6 years and I love to help people. I'm currently playing Allods Online, which is the only MMO I've ever played that I haven't gotten bored with by max lvl. When I take a break from questing to do something, I usually end up spending an hour helping people and running them through instances. I wish there were more people like that. I guess that's why I never liked WoW, I love the different areas, the races, etc. But I hate the players. 

• jadedlevirjadedlevir Member Posts: 628

I hate when stuff like this happens because it gives such a bad name to people who play wow and are actually nice. I've heard a lot of stories on this stuff in random dungeons, but so few things have happened like this to me. I only run with freinds or guildies pugging a few spots, so maybe that's why.

Only two things come to mind. Once a healer stopped healing the tank because him and his friend demanded all the loot so they could vendor it. So one person off healed him and we cleared the trash until the cd let us kick him, and boom, instantly a new healer.

Then recently running a random heroic, a 80 wanted to do  the  optional boss(and it wasn't for a gear drop it was for 1 extra triumph), which is perfectly valid. However, the healer had a raid coming up soon and said he couldn't miss another one this week, especially over 1 extra triumph. So we decided to have a vote and just go with majority rules. He lost 3 to 2, and proceeded to call us every word he could think of and threw a fit. He refused to leave the party because he would get deserter debuff, and would just stand around while he got free emblems, we couldn't kick him cuz the dungeon had had basically just started.

To say the least it was a over reaction over somehting very small, people have triumphs coming out their ass these days, and he threw a fit like a child. We waited until we could kick him before he could get his two frost.

But even after these two small things, i could retell 20 nice things people have done for me recently off the top of my head.

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

I know exactly what you mean .

It was'nt always like this in WoW but the player base I would suspect has got either a lot younger or has a lot more older people that act immaturely . I think its a bit of both . I was in a horde quild for several years . I was defending a point in A.V. ( a bunker ) and some idiot reported me to the guild master for not zerging . I got questioned by this player who I'd known for years and she was taking it really seriously . Even when I explained to her she did'nt seam to get pvp stratergy and asked me not to leach in the battle grounds . So I left the guild . I thought if a 40 year old woman can act like that in WoW on the say so of some kid that it really was time to leave .

The number of rude and ignorant players seamed to increase each year . It does'nt take much to treat people with a little respect even though its online . It seamed to be noob this noob that every other word . Also the players seamed to lack any sort of humour .

I think another factor is that it really does'nt take any real input to get from 1-80 and any real skill to get half-decent epics and as friend put it " theres lots of players that go around thinking they are awsome" because of it .

I'm playing Lord of the Rings Online now . Which has a great community . If you like a PvP game it would'nt be for you but if you like PvE then its a good alternative to Warcraft . Although I would think many of the WoW crowd would find it boring partly because XP isn't spoonfed to you and its designed so you don't get everything done quickly . Not for everyone but I think it may be something the OP would enjoy .

WoW does have nice players but it seamed towards the end they were in the minority (although you get more on a pve server than a pvp one in my experiance) . Most of the people I knew ended up leaving becasuse of it and I felt like the last man standing at the end of the day from the crowd of people I'd played the game with for several years another reason I called it quits .

• stamps79stamps79 Member Posts: 233

This has happened to me more as a low level toon then as a level 80 toon.  I would say like was said before, join a guild this will make things much better...especially a leveling guild, those are really fun.  Any game with multiplayer will always have a really immature player once and awhile, it's just going to happen.   Also something to think of, are you an Alliance or Horde.  You will find in my option for the past 5 years of playing WOW, that more mature players ( not related to age) are on the Horde side then on the Alliance.  Not saying of which you picked, but if you did try Alliance, I would also make a Horde toon as well and see the difference.

Wildstar (2013) & Elder Scroll Online (2013)

Playing: Diablo 3, WOW, Far Cry 3 & X-Com.

Enjoyed: WOW 5 1/2 yrs, LOTRO 3yrs, GW 1/2yr, DFO 1yr, EVE Online 3yrs, and Huxley (Beta).

Failed to impress: GW2 3months, Tera Online 6 months (best combat system in any MMO I've played) STO 1/4yr, Aion 1/2yr, AoC 1yr, CO, Fallen Earth, DDO, EQ2 1/2yr, WAR 1/2yr, Lineage 2 and FF XI 1/2yr, FF XIV.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Not everyone who plays WoW is like this. But there sure are a lot of them.

My suggestion is to check your server's message boards for guilds that are recruiting. Then go to their website and read their forums, to see how they appear to be acting. Once you find one that looks like it is not Douchebag Central, reach out to them and see if you can associate with a better class of players.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Its what happens when something becomes popular.

And sadly, WoW is REALLY popular in terms of the MMO genre, so it is going to get more of the twits.

There is a reason a lot of people avoided pugging, and people who act like that are pretty much it. Sure the LFD tool helped pick up the whole PUG thing, but the asshat problem is still persistant.

The only thing I really wished carried over from older MMOs was the community. No matter how 'leet' they were or how popular they were, almost every player treated others with respect and would often lend a helping hand. Today most MMOers are so 'me' oriented or so fixated on themselves that any real sort of community in a game cant even begin to exist.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

Originally posted by yayitsandy

WoW does have nice players but it seamed towards the end they were in the minority (although you get more on a pve server than a pvp one in my experiance) . Most of the people I knew ended up leaving becasuse of it and I felt like the last man standing at the end of the day from the crowd of people I'd played the game with for several years another reason I called it quits .

I have played WoW since the begining and my personal experience is that the rude people are a tiny minority.  The vast majority of WoW players just want to have fun and play the game in peace.  However, the bad groups get all the publicity since noone posts on a forum how they did 20 pugs in a row and had great experiences with polite, professional players.  

Originally posted by fyerwall

Its what happens when something becomes popular.

And sadly, WoW is REALLY popular in terms of the MMO genre, so it is going to get more of the twits.

There is a reason a lot of people avoided pugging, and people who act like that are pretty much it. Sure the LFD tool helped pick up the whole PUG thing, but the asshat problem is still persistant.

The only thing I really wished carried over from older MMOs was the community. No matter how 'leet' they were or how popular they were, almost every player treated others with respect and would often lend a helping hand. Today most MMOers are so 'me' oriented or so fixated on themselves that any real sort of community in a game cant even begin to exist.

The community in older MMOs could be just as vicious and immature.  The worst example I encountered was in a pre-WoW MMORPG where an entire guild decide to declare war on my guild (in a non-PvP game) and started doing 'drive-by insults' where they would send us tells insulting our mothers.  The worst I have encountered in WoW is the occasional 'anal spam' that lasts for about 10-15 minutes and then fades away on its own. 

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Cacaphony

Ive expierenced everything you have described and Ive pretty much given up on pugs.  My advise is if you want to do dungeons or if you just want to group... join a guild.

As someone who was a guild master up until a month ago I can tell you that simply will not fix the problem.

Most people in guilds don't want to wait for a queue with other people or wait for people to be ready to hit the random button, the people who are Tanks or healers who can get fast queues would rather queue by themselves so they get done faster.  Ask them to invite you and they will act like you are asking them to help give you a kidney.

My reason for quitting WoW was exactly like the OP described, Random dungeons took away ALL accountability so everyone just treats each other like absolute crap.  I didn't feel like paying to play the "random dungeon game" where everyone was just a jerk to each other and you wind up just feeling angry all the time.

It starts to translate into other things, people just start acting rude all the time.  I start to sound like my mother saying how rude all the children are these days...

/sigh

• Hellscream07Hellscream07 Member Posts: 123

Yeah, for one, I didn't like Dungeon Finder too much. Sure, it did made grouping a breeze, which is great since I love to group. But: A) takes away from the immersion and exploration and makes it all much more instanced, and B) since most of the times people play in different servers and since it's easy to replace a group, it brings the worst out of people, everyone thinking bout themselves.

Happened more tha once to me before I stopped playing, going through 10+ people just to complete an instance. And even then, most of the time people would just stay for themselves, party chat almost dead...

And it's a shame really, since even though the WoW community is in its majority immature and just plain annoying, I've met plenty of really nice people, just gotta look for them.

I was just talking with a friend of mine how my friend list back when I played AO was much longer than the one I had in WoW...and most of my WoW friend list was made of my guild mates.

• wildemuwildemu Member Posts: 21

most guilds nowadays, both leveling and 80-related, don't really do stuff together anymore. My hunter went through 3 leveling guilds on his server, and each one was the same. "Anybody want to do Uldaman? ....crickets" 

I don't know if there are more antisocial people playing this game but I've noticed a lot more lifeless guilds out there since i started in bc.  It seems like people join a guild just not  to look like a leper outcast, but how does that contribute anything to the guild?

Originally posted by wildemu

most guilds nowadays, both leveling and 80-related, don't really do stuff together anymore. My hunter went through 3 leveling guilds on his server, and each one was the same. "Anybody want to do Uldaman? ....crickets" 

I don't know if there are more antisocial people playing this game but I've noticed a lot more lifeless guilds out there since i started in bc.  It seems like people join a guild just not  to look like a leper outcast, but how does that contribute anything to the guild?

Ulduman would be a bad example since even when the game came out it was very unpopular.  People playing alts do not really want to bother with it. 

That said WoW does have the serious problem of being very veteran heavy these days and those players mostly do not feel like running an instance for the 100th time even though it is brand new and exiting to their new player guildy.  Personally I am very selective when leveling a new alt and will skip any zone, quest or instance that I find not fun. 

As far as people in guild being more anti-social I think it is a backlash against the current Internet/Facebook culture of 'everyone is a friend'.   People realize that jsut having the same guild tag as them does not make your their friend and you have to earn the priviledge of them helping you.  My guildies help out each other all the time while leveling new characters but that is becasue we know that the favour will be repaid in kind.  This tends to make for tighter and healthier social groups.

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

LOL !!  my adivice play one of the many better MMOs out there with far more mature communities.  Blizz games across the board are infested with immature, rude, idiots.  I used to play WC III, on a daily basis.  I switched over to Company of Heros about 3 mos ago and the difference in maturity, class and level of play is night and day.  Blizz just attracts more then its fair share of idiots to its game. 

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Been there, done that.. Guilds are just as bad if not worse..  Even if you join a guild I can promise you there are cliques within the guild, and with ID system in place for heroics, Good luck finding healers and tanks to group up with.. They will save their ID for their clique mates..  The drama doesn't go away with a guild, it often gets worse..  It's like High School all over, and Blizzard DESIGNED the game to be played like this..

• sadboysadboy Member Posts: 66

Originally posted by kb4blu

ok first off this is not a hate on WOW.  I am at the moment playing the game.  I know there has been a lot of posts on the WOW players but what I have been seeing lately is beyond the pale.

I was in a random group doing the stockades.  Things were going well when the tank decided to just quit.  He did say "Good luck MF'ers" when he left.   Then the healer just left.  We re-queued and after about 10 mins we get a new tank and a healer.  The healer then asked the mage for some water.  The mage told the healer to F--- off.  So the healer left.

To make a log story short we went through 13 different people because of rudeness, players arguing about "Needing" loot that could not be used by the player who won it,  people quitting when they ding, and so on.

I know there are rude players in every MMO.  But I have never seen crap like this in any other MMO I have played. 

By the way finally I was the only one left and gave up.  We never finished the dungeon and it is probably one of the simplest ones in the entire game,

Hmm not WOW's fault but the community is extremely poor on the whole.

Generally most trial players might be about 10-14 years old so why be suprised by kidlike behaviour.

Grouping yeah can be a lottery asked for water sorry made me smile :) GLMF well that would be about right for WOW players but you were probably very unlucky that day. I have met some grown up players in WOW but I have played for a long time on and off. WOW is a good game but as it strives for big populations it has no interest in who plays or how they play just that they might give Blizzard money

• Tyvolus1Tyvolus1 Member Posts: 815

Originally posted by Rydeson

Been there, done that.. Guilds are just as bad if not worse..  Even if you join a guild I can promise you there are cliques within the guild, and with ID system in place for heroics, Good luck finding healers and tanks to group up with.. They will save their ID for their clique mates..  The drama doesn't go away with a guild, it often gets worse..  It's like High School all over, and Blizzard DESIGNED the game to be played like this..

"The drama doesn't go away with a guild, it often gets worse..  It's like High School all over, and Blizzard DESIGNED the game to be played like this.."

I started playing Blizz games in '96 and sad to say this is pretty close to be a true analogy of how and why Blizz games are overrun by lame idiots.  With the exception of WoW I love Blizz games, but the community of gamers that play them give Blizz titles a big black eye, that you just cant ignore and pretend isnt there.  You will live it when you play thier games.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Originally posted by Rydeson

Some guilds, yeah. It's really a crapshoot. If you get lucky, you'll find a great, mature guild full of people who share the same interest (conquering raid content, doing PvP, or something else), which means they'll help you so that you can help them. I looked for a raiding guild, against my first instincts because I know plenty of raiders are nerdraging, stuck-up morons, but I got lucky on my first try and ended up in a good guild. No drama, average age of 28, and a level-headed guild leader who didn't take any crap from whiners. Getting in a guild is definitely a better alternative than trusting in strangers, given WoW's community. So, OP, go for it.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Many of the current generation of young people are like this it seems. And it's not just MMOs. It's not just video games.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

I've never seen a guild that groups up to do low level dungeons, truth is there is no such guild that does that. I think your out of luck and I agree that it sucks. I've been in the same boat as you, I used to want to do dungeons and this was before the newish LFD tool, I had a lot of stupid players myself including the quitters, probably why I quit WoW because there's no real social community in the game. =(

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602

Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

I've never seen a guild that groups up to do low level dungeons, truth is there is no such guild that does that. I think your out of luck and I agree that it sucks. I've been in the same boat as you, I used to want to do dungeons and this was before the newish LFD tool, I had a lot of stupid players myself including the quitters, probably why I quit WoW because there's no real social community in the game. =(

Everyone who ever even remotely played WOW knows that the typical "leveling guild" exists, where you always have one or two other friends you can ask to do a group based content.

... The problem is that you will not be able to fill up a 5 man group to do a dungeon with (mostly). And it depends on the average spread of levels throughout the guild (mostly 50 to 100 members).

SO the new LFG mechanism is perfect for this: you group up with 2 or 3 friends and fill in the blanks with the cross server LFG mechanism.

It works as a charm: having a guild mate tank and you can hook up within seconds.

So again proof that there is ALWAYS two sides to a story. Mostly these days people do one or two dungeons with that group and then game on with their proper choices of what they like.

Go play the game instead of looking back at a game you are no longer playing.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• glim3merglim3mer Member UncommonPosts: 154

Joining a guild like many say, isn't the solution. Unless the guild is compose of a hundred or so people all leveling toons, you aren't gonna find a guild with enough people online to forms groups when ever you log on. 

Having said that, I have found that WoW has one of the worst communities. People in this game, generally are rude/pricks. Im not so sure if its just the way the game is that brings out the worst in people or if simply there are this many rude people out there. Personally though, I think its some sort of mix of both. But overall, the worst thing about this game, is the community, its always been and will always be. The game other then that, is just fun. But the fun is usually take away almost always upon interaction with other players.

• HerriumHerrium Member Posts: 11

The Good People to Bad People ratio is actually really steady if you don't pay attention to the bad people. Lately, the amount of bad people I have gotten in random dungeons is pretty minimal. But, as a tank, I usually just sleep through the entire dungeon. So... meh.

• xtoturnwithixtoturnwithi Member Posts: 136

Originally posted by kb4blu

I've played a lot of MMOs. Back in the pre-WoW days, that sort of behavior was enough to get your account banned. Unfortunately, Blizzard's GMs don't seem to be doing their jobs, because that sort of behavior is rampant on WoW. They have the "I Survived Barrens Chat" for a reason, after all. And, in the post-WoW MMO world, it's all too common. I've experienced it on Guild Wars and MXO as well. Especially among the Penis Versus Penis crowd.

I play LotRO now, and I'm fortunate that I've never experienced such behavior, and that's a combination of two factors: much mellower playerbase and GMs that do their jobs. I'm sure the fact that I play on Landroval helps as well.

Something you should remember: when players act like that, hit "/ignore" and contact a GM. Cyberbullies are just like bullies in real life. They do it because they get away with it. And with e-nonymity, they have no fear of reprisals. Everyone's penis is huge from behind a keyboard. But if you want to change the atmosphere of the game, be proactive. Otherwise, all the worthwhile players will leave and all the d-bags will take over. That's the fastest way to kill a game.