Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New PS3: Suggestions?

TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

I just got a PS3, mainly for Blue Ray because there is no point in spending $200 on just a decent player, when I can spend $299 on a PS3 that does well more than $100 worth of extra stuff.

So, I've been downloading demos out the ass. But, I keep getting this reoccuring theme with them........... THEY ARE ALL GAMES I'VE ALREADY PLAYED!

Army of Two: Crappy version of Gear of War that requires 2 players.

Star Wars Force Unleashed: just a Star Wars version of God of War

Just Cause 2: It's just another GTA basically. Didn't like any of the others, don't like this.

Star Wars Clone Wars something or another: I can't remember the name, but it's just an updated version of a game I used to play on PS1..... the only thing I remember about it was it starred Bruce Willis and was the first game I've ever played starring someone. It was fun on PS1, but just annoying on PS3.

Then I have the full version of MW2, but that's just a FPS. I'd rather play CoD4 or BC2 on my PC. Then there are some racing games I'm going to get, just because I like racing games, same thing with fighters. But, all those games are pretty much supposed to be very similair to eachother or they are just going to suck.

I still have like 5 more demos I haven't tried yet, but I don't have high hopes for them either. Is there any titles that are good at least semi-original fun games? I'm going to get Dragon Age of course, but other than that I really can't think of anything.

Comments

• zeowyrmzeowyrm Member Posts: 746

Demon's Souls.  Darksiders maybe.  Definitely God of War.  Uncharted are solid as well.  And Little Big Planet too, just cause it's a neat little platformer.  Wait til the new "Greatest Hits" version of LBP hits though, only be about 30 bucks.

Oh, and Fat Princess.  That game is crazy fun.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I would try Uncharted 1 & 2.  Both very good games imo.

Demons souls is another that I enjoyed alot.  If you like the God of War games then they have the edition with 1 and 2 on it, then of course 3.  Red Dead Redemption is releasing next month and should be good.

Just a few ideas.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

There's a few J-rpgs that look good for PS3. Haven't tried them myself yet, just got my ps3 a few months ago, and my girl plays it mostly. She loved Heavy Rain, which kind of resembles Shenmue if you've ever played that for dreamcast or xbox.

Way of the Samurai 3 is the best game I've played so far on PS3 IMO, I loved the first two though. A little pricey for being such a short game 39.99, but there's plenty of replayability in it.

Other than those I'm waiting for Red Dead: Redemption

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Final Fantasy VII ... less than £10 on the store .. it's the Carlsberg of the FF series imho ...  :p

the latest version is reasonably ok, if you dont mind 10 chapters of linear gameplay and 1 chapter of puregrind .....

dont get dragon age until theyve fixed the crashing problem with the latest OS (v3.3) installed

Sony/Bioware claim to be working on it, so hopefully it won't be too long b4 it's playable

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

We also bought a PS3 not so long ago.  First thing we did was get the Netflix disc and go from having our own media server using Play On software to using the PS3.  I still want to have my own media server, but everything runs so much better right now with the PS3.  The Play On software is just crap, unfortunately.  We bought a few games.  My husband has been playing a lot of Dragon Age and Grand Turismo Prolouge (although that just makes you yearn for the full featured Grand Turismo 5) .  Little Big Planet is really good fun, too, especially if you have a soft spot for Mario games.  Resident Evil 5 Gold Box Edition - what can I say?  Playing a good Zombie game just gets me all misty-eyed.  We also bought Resonance of Fate but I haven't given it a real go yet.  I think my husband also picked up God of War III, also haven't got around to it.

After playing some demos - and there are a ton of them! - I'm somewhat interested in Heavy Rain, Demon's Souls and a few others.  Fat Princess is a must have!  Things like Borderlands and almost any MMORPG type thing are just better on the PC, I think.

PS  My husband has only crashed twice, I think, in Dragon Age.  I hope our luck doesn't run out!

• RodentofdoomRodentofdoom Member Posts: 273

Originally posted by Signe 

PS  My husband has only crashed twice, I think, in Dragon Age.  I hope our luck doesn't run out!

Does he reboot fairly easily ??

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524

Do you mean the console or my husband?  :p  Anyway, I seem to have spoke too soon.  The game has been freezing crazy mad recently.  His luck has run out!

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

I got Dragon Age from Gamefly.

I'd have to say, the only game that can even compare to it would be the Barbie game my friend's sister had for her PS1 when I was a kid. Definitely one of the worst game I've ever played.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

If you like strategy games at all, you might want to give Valkyria Chronicles a look. There is a playable demo you can get at the PlayStation Store.