Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Game Client Now Free

MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community ManagerQueens, NYPosts: 5,724Administrator Uncommon

Mythic Entertainment has announced that players who are looking to subscribe after participating in the free WAR trial will no longer be required to purchase the full game client to continue their adventures. Trial users can simply opt to subscribe and continue along in the game.

If you're interested in taking WAR for a spin, go here.

[Thanks AmazingAvery for the tip!]

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

«13

Comments

  • tsuktstsukts BrevikPosts: 164Member

    Nice stuff...to bad i have the CDs from release.

    image

  • EverSkellyEverSkelly AlytusPosts: 334Member

    I think all subscription based games should do it. It's enough to pay every month.

  • rznkainrznkain Dugspur, VAPosts: 539Member

    Still cheaper to buy the game off amazon for 5 bucks and get the free 30 days compared to getting client free then payin 14.99 right off.

  • drbaltazardrbaltazar drummondville, QCPosts: 7,987Member

    Originally posted by EverSkelly



    I think all subscription based games should do it. It's enough to pay every month.

    lunch could stay like it is for p2p

    but after 12 month?true they should all adopt this way!

     

  • ChaosIncChaosInc Reedsburg, WIPosts: 112Member
    Although a good idea, this is just another desparate attempt to draw players to a failed game. They should really cut their losses now (and this definitely won't help) and just shut it down. The ship sank long ago, stop trying to float it back up.

    NEWS FLASH! PAYING THE SUB IN F2P = NO DIFFERENCE THAN P2P GAMES!

    Why the hell can't the whiners comprehend this?

  • SelenicaSelenica Roseville, CAPosts: 183Member

    .. but will it help?

  • OddbotOddbot ei, NYPosts: 31Member

    At this point their best bet I think would just be to drop the monthly fee and set up a payment model similar to DDO's. I think it would suit WAR well. The game never really seemed to have enough depth to me to warrant a monthly sub.

  • KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

    Originally posted by Oddbot



    At this point their best bet I think would just be to drop the monthly fee and set up a payment model similar to DDO's. I think it would suit WAR well. The game never really seemed to have enough depth to me to warrant a monthly sub.

    Agreed.

    I think the game would do alot better under a payment model similar to DDO's. Making the client free is a good start, but it doesn't really help anyone other than new players. Those of us who have already purchased the client previously are still left with a game that lacks substance and has no real staying power.

    F2P with an Item Shop would do this game a world of good imho.

  • KhanUKKhanUK DavPosts: 31Member

    Failed game? WAR is profitable and has expansions planned in the future. Doesn't seem like a failed game to me.

    Khanuk

  • DignaDigna City, CTPosts: 2,014Member Uncommon

    Not failed but far from what it could have been. I really wanted to love it but it was.....as with so many relationships past...sadly lacking in the end.

    /emote MMOLoneliness

  • KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

    Originally posted by KhanUK



    Failed game? WAR is profitable and has expansions planned in the future. Doesn't seem like a failed game to me.

    Khanuk

    http://pauser.com/warhammer/popmon/

    As of March 28, 2010, the game has, on average, less than 2,000 concurrent users.

    The numbers speak for themselves.

  • Honeymoon69Honeymoon69 USA, AKPosts: 647Member

    lol like she said, should be free to play.

  • jawalijawali slubicePosts: 195Member Uncommon

    Hi, I have 1 question: are there 2k subscribers on each server or there are 2k subscribers on all servers?

    image
  • gszebegszebe PPosts: 214Member

    Originally posted by Kost



    Originally posted by KhanUK



    Failed game? WAR is profitable and has expansions planned in the future. Doesn't seem like a failed game to me.

    Khanuk

    http://pauser.com/warhammer/popmon/

    As of March 28, 2010, the game has, on average, less than 2,000 concurrent users.

    The numbers speak for themselves.

    Except that numbers *never* speak for themself. Beyond the fact that this so-called 'statistics' is completely unofficial, there are some *tiny* problems with it: it's only about 4 US-servers and nothing about EU ones; nothing about lower Tiers' population; its based on "the approximate numbers"; and finally, there is not even a hint how these so-called 'approximate' numbers are calculated.

    So, it is really "reliable", apparently, lol

  • KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

    Originally posted by gszebe

    Except that numbers *never* speak for themself.

    Actually they do, whether you agree or not is irrelevant.

    Beyond the fact that this so-called 'statistics' is completely unofficial

    Of course it is unofficial, do you really think that Mythic would announce that WAR now has less players than DAoC does at peak times? That wouldn't exactly be a sound business decision, now would it?

    it's only about 4 US-servers and nothing about EU ones;

    Because adding the EU totals would somehow bolster the numbers by a large amount? The EU servers are worse off than the US ones are and that is common knowledge.

    nothing about lower Tiers' population;

    Why would there be? The game has a free trial that is not time limited, can you not see how that could cause the numbers to get skewed rather easily?

    its based on "the approximate numbers";

    Which are parsed directly from the servers themselves. They might not be one hundred percent accurate but they are certainly very close.

    and finally, there is not even a hint how these so-called 'approximate' numbers are calculated.

    All pertinent information is located on that page or can be reached from that page, slow down and actually take the time to read everything there instead of just scanning the page quickly and then forming an assumption based on what little you actually read.

     

     

  • NifaNifa Oklahoma City, OKPosts: 324Member

    Originally posted by Oddbot



    At this point their best bet I think would just be to drop the monthly fee and set up a payment model similar to DDO's. I think it would suit WAR well. The game never really seemed to have enough depth to me to warrant a monthly sub.

    Like the other poster, I agree.

    The game wasn't entirely bad, it did have its good points.  Were they to adopt a payment model similar to DDO's and make some needed structural overhauls, I might consider giving it a third try (tried it when it came out, tried it again when some friends here in TX picked it up, both times, found it well-nigh impossible to get into because of the way the game is structured).

    As is, the game really isn't worth $15/month of my money, but some people love it and that's great for them.  But to my way of thinking, the last time I played the game, it needed significant overhauls in many areas (for instance, when I still played, the PQ system, which may have been a great idea at higher levels, was idiotic in new player areas since there weren't enough new players in those areas - EVER - to complete the quests in the time allotted) and the constant nerfing of classes bordered on the ridiculous.

     

    edited for spelling

    Firebrand Art

    "You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

    Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

  • RabassoRabasso Vancouver, BCPosts: 2Member

    Originally posted by ChaosInc

    Although a good idea, this is just another desparate attempt to draw players to a failed game. They should really cut their losses now (and this definitely won't help) and just shut it down. The ship sank long ago, stop trying to float it back up.

    I can not agree more with you, the design of a game is one thing, what this big game publishers don't know is that they get 1 shot at marketing, you better do it right because other wise you do what this guys are doing, walking backwards. i think is just plain incompetence to tell you the true, the way this big game power houses used to operate, what a waste of intellect.

    the amount of innovation coming out of the small studios is huge, small studios.

    That is my small grain of salt.

  • AnubisanAnubisan Boulder, COPosts: 1,801Member

    Making WAR f2p would probably completely revitalize the game as it did for DDO. They just need to come up with a cash shop model that makes sense...

    Unfortunately that is difficult to do in a very PvP-oriented game.

  • gszebegszebe PPosts: 214Member

    Originally posted by Kost



    Originally posted by gszebe

    Except that numbers *never* speak for themself.

    Actually they do, whether you agree or not is irrelevant.

    Beyond the fact that this so-called 'statistics' is completely unofficial

    Of course it is unofficial, do you really think that Mythic would announce that WAR now has less players than DAoC does at peak times? That wouldn't exactly be a sound business decision, now would it?

    it's only about 4 US-servers and nothing about EU ones;

    Because adding the EU totals would somehow bolster the numbers by a large amount? The EU servers are worse off than the US ones are and that is common knowledge.

    nothing about lower Tiers' population;

    Why would there be? The game has a free trial that is not time limited, can you not see how that could cause the numbers to get skewed rather easily?

    its based on "the approximate numbers";

    Which are parsed directly from the servers themselves. They might not be one hundred percent accurate but they are certainly very close.

    and finally, there is not even a hint how these so-called 'approximate' numbers are calculated.

    All pertinent information is located on that page or can be reached from that page, slow down and actually take the time to read everything there instead of just scanning the page quickly and then forming an assumption based on what little you actually read.

     

     

    All right, to keep it short: I don't have to form any assumption; this 'statistics' is unofficial per se and unreliable because there is NO (again: NOT EVEN ONE) hint about HOW numbers are parsed from the servers for the calculation.

    My other "tiny" problems were related to YOUR interpretation ("As of March 28, 2010, the game has, on average, less than 2,000 concurrent users."), which is apparently untrue even if I accepted the mere "statistics" as a reliable one.

    Prolly, you have already heard W.S. Churchill's famous quote: "Statistics are like a drunk with a lampost: used more for support than illumination." That's all about the "numbers speak for themself"-thinking; they do not, you agree or not – you are the one who interpret the numbers.

  • shr4pnelshr4pnel VA Beach, VAPosts: 100Member

    Such failure... I remember when a lot of MMO players were paying top money ($100+) for the sold-out Collector's Edition.

  • LiquidWolfLiquidWolf Laramie, WYPosts: 516Member Common

    Originally posted by Kost

    Originally posted by KhanUK



    Failed game? WAR is profitable and has expansions planned in the future. Doesn't seem like a failed game to me.

    Khanuk

    http://pauser.com/warhammer/popmon/

    As of March 28, 2010, the game has, on average, less than 2,000 concurrent users.

    The numbers speak for themselves.

     My opinion of this site is that it is absolutely awesome.

    Your post is twisting numbers though.

    The majority of the information on that page references R40 and RR40 characters, but a bit of it does talk about the average gain in ranks.

    2000 concurrent R40 or RR40 players at any one time.

    I'm still looking through the information to find the total R1-40 RR1-40 population.

  • shr4pnelshr4pnel VA Beach, VAPosts: 100Member

    Originally posted by Oddbot



    At this point their best bet I think would just be to drop the monthly fee and set up a payment model similar to DDO's. I think it would suit WAR well. The game never really seemed to have enough depth to me to warrant a monthly sub.

    Agree. But EA will not let that happen. :/

  • shr4pnelshr4pnel VA Beach, VAPosts: 100Member

    Originally posted by KhanUK



    Failed game? WAR is profitable and has expansions planned in the future. Doesn't seem like a failed game to me.

    Khanuk

    You're right, it's not a failed game. Just look at these facts:

    * founder of the company who's been with them for over 15 years GONE!

    * 60+ servers in 2008 down to 4 in 2010

    * etc.

     

    Yep, not a failed game.

  • gszebegszebe PPosts: 214Member

    Originally posted by shr4pnel



    Originally posted by KhanUK



    Failed game? WAR is profitable and has expansions planned in the future. Doesn't seem like a failed game to me.

    Khanuk

    You're right, it's not a failed game. Just look at these facts:

    * founder of the company who's been with them for over 15 years GONE!

    * 60+ servers in 2008 down to 4 in 2010

    * etc.

     

    Yep, not a failed game.

    What's your point?

  • shr4pnelshr4pnel VA Beach, VAPosts: 100Member

    Originally posted by gszebe

     

    What's your point?

    Wow.

    I'm guessing English is not your native language so I won't even bother.

    Good day, Sir!

«13
Sign In or Register to comment.