Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Giving the trial a go... I hope.

GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 182Member Uncommon

Started the trial last night, well sorta. I started the process of patching last night (yikes!). I hope to get in game tonight and check things out for myself. Care to throw some newbie tips my way?

Cheers

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
--
o·pin·ion –noun
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Tagged:

Comments

  • Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin SoCal, CAPosts: 3,033Member

    The help channel and community support is very good in this game.  Do the 'extended tutorial' quest.  You really wont get an appreciation for this game in the firt couple of levels since I found the complexity and depth of the game kinda grows on you.

  • GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 182Member Uncommon

    Thanks. Definatly planing to take my time, and figure things out.

    Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

  • green13green13 SydneyPosts: 1,340Member

    There were many things I liked about FE, though ultimately others really disappointed. So the tips I'd give are.

    1) Always max your preferred weapon skill, armour and dodge. These three skills are way, way, way more important than anything else.

    2) Many mutations suck (and FYI you can't get them til at least level 15). They're fairly useless for damage (weapons do 5-20 times the amount of damage). The armour buffs are nice (sonic influence, enhancement, telekinesis) and they stack. If you pick up all three then you get a very sizeable armour boost. If you want a healing mutation but don't care about maxing it, telepathy is rather nice - it has a heal over time that you can cast while moving.

    I would strongly advise against investing any APs in the thermal, patho-transmission and suppression mutations.

    3) Use the character planner (link below). There's no respec so spend an AP poorly and it's gone forever.

    http://globaltechplanner.info/

    4) If you want to be a crafter you need to max int and perception. You can then either max wisdom and max half a dozen mutations and first-aid. In this case still max a weapon skill, dodge and armour as much as you can. This will make you a good support type character, though in pve there's not much need for teaming.

    http://globaltechplanner.info/#2E00DC0F000000001C1C001A38003F5400003F00003F545400005400543C004

    Or you can max crafting and still max both a melee and ranged skill, dodge, and almost max armour. This way you'll be able to use nearly everything you can craft. And first-aid will give you enough healing for most situations.

    http://globaltechplanner.info/index.php#2E00DC0F001C1C001C1C1C00460054540054005400000000000000000000009

    And there's lots of variations you can try. Play with the planner.

    I haven't played any purely combat type characters so can't offer any experience on those builds.

    5) As soon as you possibly can, upgrade from the Old Nag (free horse you get in tutorial) to the Riding Horse. The Riding Horse is way, way, way more fuel efficient. Also always buff your horse with fortify (it restores endurance over time and reduces how much you feed the horse). If you stick with horses, upgrade to the Running Horse when your nature skill hits 45. If you use the fortify buff on it, you will never, ever, ever have to feed/fuel it.

    6) This is something that doesn't seem to get spoken about much, but pay attention to quest items. Many quest items (i.e. that you loot from mobs to return to quest givers) can also be used in place of expensive or difficult to find crafting components. On the item's info popup this is seen as "Also counts as:" Pay attention to these and write them down. You'll be really glad later that you did.

    This is especially useful for things like ammo. There are certain spots where you can very quickly farm ammo mats this way and it makes using ranged weapons much, much easier.

  • GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 182Member Uncommon

    Wow, thanks very much!

    Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

  • green13green13 SydneyPosts: 1,340Member

    Sorry, I forgot one really important thing.

    Always aim for the head - headshots do a lot more damage.

    If a mob is melee'ing you headshots are easy. Ditto if they're standing still shooting you and you're shooting back. It's only really difficult if they're running around - which they don't do much unless they're using a gun and you're trying to melee them.

    Headshots will dramatically speed up your kills, cut down on the amount of damage you take and cut down on ammo use.

  • DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco GalwayPosts: 1,757Member

    Good advices there.

    Maybe one more.... if you like crafting, make sure to keep as much stuff as you can, and store them in the bank. Eventually you'll realize, which ones are particularly worthy and which ones are more common (and cheap to buy from vendors), but some stuff you gather even at the lowest levels are really worthy and useful (like scrap wood or weak botanic chemical from plants :)

    DB

    Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

  • GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 182Member Uncommon

    Yeah, I decided early on to keep everything that was a trade skill item. Glad i did too. Made some money with grilled chicken, and was able to aquite enought stuff to 'tame" a new horse, and a make a new pistol.

     

    I gotta say, i'm enjoying this game quite a bit! Only been playing since Saturday, but so so good!

    Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

  • DonnieBrascoDonnieBrasco GalwayPosts: 1,757Member

    Originally posted by GetzMango


    Yeah, I decided early on to keep everything that was a trade skill item. Glad i did too. Made some money with grilled chicken, and was able to aquite enought stuff to 'tame" a new horse, and a make a new pistol.
     
    I gotta say, i'm enjoying this game quite a bit! Only been playing since Saturday, but so so good!

    If you like crafting, this game is addictive as hell :D

    DB

    Denial makes one look a lot dumber than he/she actually is.

  • GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 182Member Uncommon

    That's the weird part, I never cared for crafting all that much in most other games. I normally just did miminal crafting. In FE, i find i really enjoy the crafting system. I'm looking forward to the ATV quest line, and beyond. Think i'm gonna buy the game today.

    Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

  • ReaperUkReaperUk Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 684Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by green13

    There were many things I liked about FE, though ultimately others really disappointed. So the tips I'd give are.
    1) Always max your preferred weapon skill, armour and dodge. These three skills are way, way, way more important than anything else.
    2) Many mutations suck (and FYI you can't get them til at least level 15). They're fairly useless for damage (weapons do 5-20 times the amount of damage). The armour buffs are nice (sonic influence, enhancement, telekinesis) and they stack. If you pick up all three then you get a very sizeable armour boost. If you want a healing mutation but don't care about maxing it, telepathy is rather nice - it has a heal over time that you can cast while moving.
    I would strongly advise against investing any APs in the thermal, patho-transmission and suppression mutations.
    3) Use the character planner (link below). There's no respec so spend an AP poorly and it's gone forever.
    http://globaltechplanner.info/
    4) If you want to be a crafter you need to max int and perception. You can then either max wisdom and max half a dozen mutations and first-aid. In this case still max a weapon skill, dodge and armour as much as you can. This will make you a good support type character, though in pve there's not much need for teaming.
    http://globaltechplanner.info/#2E00DC0F000000001C1C001A38003F5400003F00003F545400005400543C004
    Or you can max crafting and still max both a melee and ranged skill, dodge, and almost max armour. This way you'll be able to use nearly everything you can craft. And first-aid will give you enough healing for most situations.
    http://globaltechplanner.info/index.php#2E00DC0F001C1C001C1C1C00460054540054005400000000000000000000009
    And there's lots of variations you can try. Play with the planner.
    I haven't played any purely combat type characters so can't offer any experience on those builds.
    5) As soon as you possibly can, upgrade from the Old Nag (free horse you get in tutorial) to the Riding Horse. The Riding Horse is way, way, way more fuel efficient. Also always buff your horse with fortify (it restores endurance over time and reduces how much you feed the horse). If you stick with horses, upgrade to the Running Horse when your nature skill hits 45. If you use the fortify buff on it, you will never, ever, ever have to feed/fuel it.
    6) This is something that doesn't seem to get spoken about much, but pay attention to quest items. Many quest items (i.e. that you loot from mobs to return to quest givers) can also be used in place of expensive or difficult to find crafting components. On the item's info popup this is seen as "Also counts as:" Pay attention to these and write them down. You'll be really glad later that you did.
    This is especially useful for things like ammo. There are certain spots where you can very quickly farm ammo mats this way and it makes using ranged weapons much, much easier.

     I agree with most of the things in your post. However, I totally disagree with Point 2. I notice you say you haven't played a purely combat character so maybe that's why you have this perception? Unless things have changed drastically since the end of January, which is when I took a break, Patho Transmission and to a lesser extent Thermal offensive mutations do insane amounts of damage in PvE if you spend your AP's appropriately.

    My Chota melee character was specced purely for combat and there was only one Boss I was unable to solo in Sector 2. That was Lady xxx (forget her name actually) in the crypts in the SW of the map. I cleared the rest of the instance on my own but had to duo with one other player to do the final room. He was a rifleman/crafter, several levels higher than me and couldn't  believe how much damage I was doing with my disease attacks. Elsewhere in Sector 2, I was generally able to clear multiple enemies with ease most of the time by throwing my DoTs and then finishing them off with melee attacks

     

    If you were referring to PvP, I wouldn't know as I'm not really interested in that aspect of FE. In PVE though, Patho Transmission mutations were my most damaging attacks, especially against ranged enemies where you would be at a distinct disadvantage without them.



     

  • ThillianThillian BratislavaPosts: 3,149Member Uncommon

    Anyone saying patho-transmission mutation is weak did not play the game for too long as it is one of the best DPS mutation due to the immensely powerful endurance debuffs and stamina drain, plus powerful capstone heavy damaging dot [for chota](140 damage instantly, another 250 over short time) 1 minute reuse time.

    REALITY CHECK

  • Quick newbie tips:

     

    1) go to the character planner and mess around

    2) focus on one combat skill

    3) start with crafter build + some type of combat build

    4) start in south burb then north burb then a combat town like depot 66 or zanesvilles

    5) realize that doing this will get you most starting skill books free and some decent starting weapons.

    6) save all your money because you should not need to buy anything by doing #5

    7) used that saved money to make yourself a riding horse ASAP, this horse is much more efficent and carries much more letting you go whereever you want with little initial burden.

    8) make sure to do the second tutorial so you get a free starting horse

     

    After doing this you are set and do whatever you please.


  • Originally posted by reaperuk



    Originally posted by green13


    There were many things I liked about FE, though ultimately others really disappointed. So the tips I'd give are.
    1) Always max your preferred weapon skill, armour and dodge. These three skills are way, way, way more important than anything else.
    2) Many mutations suck (and FYI you can't get them til at least level 15). They're fairly useless for damage (weapons do 5-20 times the amount of damage). The armour buffs are nice (sonic influence, enhancement, telekinesis) and they stack. If you pick up all three then you get a very sizeable armour boost. If you want a healing mutation but don't care about maxing it, telepathy is rather nice - it has a heal over time that you can cast while moving.
    I would strongly advise against investing any APs in the thermal, patho-transmission and suppression mutations.
    3) Use the character planner (link below). There's no respec so spend an AP poorly and it's gone forever.
    http://globaltechplanner.info/
    4) If you want to be a crafter you need to max int and perception. You can then either max wisdom and max half a dozen mutations and first-aid. In this case still max a weapon skill, dodge and armour as much as you can. This will make you a good support type character, though in pve there's not much need for teaming.
    http://globaltechplanner.info/#2E00DC0F000000001C1C001A38003F5400003F00003F545400005400543C004
    Or you can max crafting and still max both a melee and ranged skill, dodge, and almost max armour. This way you'll be able to use nearly everything you can craft. And first-aid will give you enough healing for most situations.
    http://globaltechplanner.info/index.php#2E00DC0F001C1C001C1C1C00460054540054005400000000000000000000009
    And there's lots of variations you can try. Play with the planner.
    I haven't played any purely combat type characters so can't offer any experience on those builds.
    5) As soon as you possibly can, upgrade from the Old Nag (free horse you get in tutorial) to the Riding Horse. The Riding Horse is way, way, way more fuel efficient. Also always buff your horse with fortify (it restores endurance over time and reduces how much you feed the horse). If you stick with horses, upgrade to the Running Horse when your nature skill hits 45. If you use the fortify buff on it, you will never, ever, ever have to feed/fuel it.
    6) This is something that doesn't seem to get spoken about much, but pay attention to quest items. Many quest items (i.e. that you loot from mobs to return to quest givers) can also be used in place of expensive or difficult to find crafting components. On the item's info popup this is seen as "Also counts as:" Pay attention to these and write them down. You'll be really glad later that you did.
    This is especially useful for things like ammo. There are certain spots where you can very quickly farm ammo mats this way and it makes using ranged weapons much, much easier.

     I agree with most of the things in your post. However, I totally disagree with Point 2. I notice you say you haven't played a purely combat character so maybe that's why you have this perception? Unless things have changed drastically since the end of January, which is when I took a break, Patho Transmission and to a lesser extent Thermal offensive mutations do insane amounts of damage in PvE if you spend your AP's appropriately.

    My Chota melee character was specced purely for combat and there was only one Boss I was unable to solo in Sector 2. That was Lady xxx (forget her name actually) in the crypts in the SW of the map. I cleared the rest of the instance on my own but had to duo with one other player to do the final room. He was a rifleman/crafter, several levels higher than me and couldn't  believe how much damage I was doing with my disease attacks. Elsewhere in Sector 2, I was generally able to clear multiple enemies with ease most of the time by throwing my DoTs and then finishing them off with melee attacks

     

    If you were referring to PvP, I wouldn't know as I'm not really interested in that aspect of FE. In PVE though, Patho Transmission mutations were my most damaging attacks, especially against ranged enemies where you would be at a distinct disadvantage without them.



     

     

    I wrote my advice without reading any of the thread so as you can see most of this advice above  is good.  However do not be completely deterred by some "rules"  you will be told that dodge is 100% necessary but there are dodgeless builds that do ok.  I am currently playing a dodgeless support build and it works fine with all the healing+buff+debuff abilities.  Its kind of like a Captain class in LOTRO.  The reason I did this was I wanted a full on crafter and I figured I might as well take full advatnage of the stats that you need for crafting rather than going 75% * 75%  and not gettting 100% in the end.

    A number of people make a Combat+dodge + crafting build and basically wind up short on a mutation or something else they might like.  I decided to go for a build that utilized things like charisma and social for better prices and still get combat abilities (via group tactics buffs and heals and social debuffs) + First Aid using the crafting stats.  In the end my combat skills and defensive skills suffer for it, but the extra buff compensate to some degree.  The advantage is not really more power but hopefully more versatility and about equal performance + the high social skill = better merchant prices.

     

    Not saying start with that, but don't get too stuck on rules.  The only time you really need to stick to hard and fast rules is probably PvP.  But even there I know of at least one person running a high armor use/low dodge support build for PvP.

  • KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member Common

    Originally posted by Thillian


    Anyone saying patho-transmission mutation is weak did not play the game for too long as it is one of the best DPS mutation due to the immensely powerful endurance debuffs and stamina drain, plus powerful capstone heavy damaging dot [for chota](140 damage instantly, another 250 over short time) 1 minute reuse time.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Houston, TXPosts: 11,533Member Rare

    NOTICE TO NEW TRIAL PLAYERS:

    you have a limited smount of chat time before it says you have used up your chat for this trial. So use it wisely :) fyi

    Do NOT respond to this reply if you think the contents of the reply is unwarranted in this discussion. 

    On replying to the content of this reply you are participating in the discussion of its contents

  • FedacorrFedacorr San Diego, CAPosts: 45Member

    You have a limited number of chat messages PER LOGON, on a trial account.  100 messages, specifically.

    It's not a cumulative limit, just each time you log on, you can do 100 messages before being muted for that logon.

  • GetzMangoGetzMango CT USAPosts: 182Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by Fedacorr


    You have a limited number of chat messages PER LOGON, on a trial account.  100 messages, specifically.
    It's not a cumulative limit, just each time you log on, you can do 100 messages before being muted for that logon.

    Thanks for clearifying that Fedacorr. Not really an issue though, I activated  my sub yesterday.

    Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

Sign In or Register to comment.