Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures: Rise of the Godslayer Preview

2»

Comments

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

[quote]Originally posted by Lizante
    Age of Conan was still a Closed Beta product over a year after release (retail launch May 2007) .  This MMO did not deliver on it's promise and did not  become a viable retail product worth buying until version 1.05 was released some months ago (2009).  One glaring example of a series of fails DX-10, touted as in the game on the released game box in May 2007, was but one of a long list of falures, disappointments and excuses -- DX-10 was not available in the live game until well into 2009.
     [/b][/quote]

Regarding DX10, when you try to turn it on under options, it does still say DX10(TEST), and for me, it causes my system to promptly crash, before the game even finishes loading. DX10 has worked fine on my system, with every other game I've tried that offers it.

It's too bad, because I've been taking a second look at AOC, in anticipation of the expansion, but find the graphics are looking surprisingly dated these days. I'd hoped DX10 would help, but I guess not.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MurashuMurashu Member UncommonPosts: 1,386

"Regarding DX10, when you try to turn it on under options, it does still say DX10(TEST), and for me, it causes my system to promptly crash, before the game even finishes loading. DX10 has worked fine on my system, with every other game I've tried that offers it.

It's too bad, because I've been taking a second look at AOC, in anticipation of the expansion, but find the graphics are looking surprisingly dated these days. I'd hoped DX10 would help, but I guess not."

Have you tried running the DX10.exe file? I just reinstalled AoC Saturday to give it another chance and it is still the best looking game on the market IMO. Im running DX10 and it runs smooth without any issues, but I started it straight from the DX10.exe in the AoC folder.

• fodell54fodell54 Member RarePosts: 865

Originally posted by Lizante

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by Fuggo

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Why would you get fooled and by what? Age of Conan is currently a very good game. I've been playing it for the past month and it's some of the most fun I've had in an MMO in a while.

I have heard that it sucked at launch, but the game is supposed to have come a very long way.

"It sucked at launch" ?  That's being kind! 

Age of Conan was still a Closed Beta product over a year after release (retail launch May 2007) .  This MMO did not deliver on it's promise and did not  become a viable retail product worth buying until version 1.05 was released some months ago (2009).  One glaring example of a series of fails DX-10, touted as in the game on the released game box in May 2007, was but one of a long list of falures, disappointments and excuses -- DX-10 was not available in the live game until well into 2009.

Yet, in spite of all that, the actual and real "shame" here, Fuggo, is being so small and/or closed minded about the Age of Conan MMO we have today.

Fuggo's attitude reminds me of those people (including myself) still serving whine with their cheese about SOE after the Star Wars Galaxy NGE debacle.  But here's the difference:

With the SWG NGE, SOE did not listen and outright lied to their player community and, in their total arrogance, never did admit or correct their disasterous mistakes/miscalculations with SWG.  Therefore, like many, I too, will never touch an SOE product again because of that fiasco.

FunCom, on the other hand, reacted to the Age of Conan disaster by replacing the game director, greatly increasing the customer service staff, silencing while re-educating their marketing director, and shuffling or outright replacing other corporate staff, all while roling up their sleeves to transform the AoC MMO into what we were promised at launch in May 2007 and actually delivering  much more than we expected.

So while FunCom failed in that they didn't learn from their own history (the many serious issues and growing pains of Anarchy Online) -- those who don't learn from history are forced to repeat it -- FunCom, having done that, did turn Age of Conan around, much the same as they did for AO.

The only thing I want to point out about your post, because you mention it more than once is that AOC did not come out in May 2007. It had a retail launch of 1 year later on May 17, 2008. That's all I'm saying.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Conan:_Hyborian_Adventures

• LizanteLizante Member Posts: 182

Ooops, I stand corrected 2008 > 2007.  My post, above, has been corrected.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Originally posted by Murashu
    Have you tried running the DX10.exe file? I just reinstalled AoC Saturday to give it another chance and it is still the best looking game on the market IMO. Im running DX10 and it runs smooth without any issues, but I started it straight from the DX10.exe in the AoC folder.

Thanks for the tip - odd that the game lets me try it from the client that only runs dx9? But, it only worked a little. I was able to get into the game, ooh and ahh about the waving foliage, then crashed again. Seems with DX10, I crash after about 10 seconds in the game, every time. It runs smoothly at a decent framerate at first, but it's not even a random crash. More like something that always takes about 10 seconds after entering the gameworld to go wrong.

I'm using Windows 7, and a GeForce 260, with a trial account. Also experience lots more regular old DX9 random crashes than I did a year ago when I played for a few months, especially on my gf's comp, running WinXP with a Radeon 4850.

I've tried looking at the official forums, but either I'm the only one having these problems, or people have given up posting about them.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• MMO.MaverickMMO.Maverick Member CommonPosts: 7,619

Originally posted by Lizante

Originally posted by Xondar123

Originally posted by Fuggo

Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me twice, shame on me.

Why would you get fooled and by what? Age of Conan is currently a very good game. I've been playing it for the past month and it's some of the most fun I've had in an MMO in a while.

I have heard that it sucked at launch, but the game is supposed to have come a very long way.

"It sucked at launch" ?  That's being kind! 

Yet, in spite of all that, the actual and real "shame" here, Fuggo, is being so small and/or closed minded about the Age of Conan MMO we have today.

Fuggo's attitude reminds me of those people (including myself) still serving whine with their cheese about SOE after the Star Wars Galaxy NGE debacle.  But here's the difference:

With the SWG NGE, SOE did not listen and outright lied to their player community and, in their total arrogance, never did admit or correct their disasterous mistakes/miscalculations with SWG.  Therefore, like many, I too, will never touch an SOE product again because of that fiasco.

FunCom, on the other hand, reacted to the Age of Conan disaster by replacing the game director, greatly increasing the customer service staff, silencing while re-educating their marketing director, and shuffling or outright replacing other corporate staff, all while roling up their sleeves to transform the AoC MMO into what we were promised at launch in May 2007 and actually delivering  much more than we expected.

So while FunCom failed in that they didn't learn from their own history (the many serious issues and growing pains of Anarchy Online) -- those who don't learn from history are forced to repeat it -- FunCom, having done that, did turn Age of Conan around, much the same as they did for AO.

+1

Loved this post for more than a few good points.

The ACTUAL size of MMORPG worlds: a comparison list between MMO's

The ease with which predictions are made on these forums:
    Fratman: "I'm saying Spring 2012 at the earliest [for TOR release]. Anyone still clinging to 2011 is deluding themself at this point."