Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why mmo if all you seek is solo gameplay?

Comments

• Mellow44Mellow44 Member Posts: 599

World of Warcraft has opened the doors to a whole lot of people that doesn't really belong in an environment where you should be friendly and interact with other players.

These are the Diablo one and two (soon three) players the Counter Strikers or whatever shooter game that's the fad these days.

So it's all solo online for gear and epeen these days and I despise it.

Sorry for the rant.

All those memories will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

Well, the obvious answer is there simply aren't many single player RPGs anymore. What, maybe 3-4 notable ones a year? If that.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607
    Originally posted by Mellow44

World of Warcraft has opened the doors to a whole lot of people that doesn't really belong in an environment where you should be friendly and interact with other players.
    These are the Diablo one and two (soon three) players the Counter Strikers or whatever shooter game that's the fad these days.
    Sorry for the rant.

I would argue that WoW opened the doors to solo players but in a different way. WoW brought in plenty of non-MMO types that had never heard of the WC RTS games or Diablo before. It brought in non-RPers who insisted on bringing their deathmatch playstyle, with all the douchbaggery inherent therein, and killed the desire to group. Not saying that WoW alone is to blame, but mainstreaming of the genre is. 

Who the hell wants their game ruined by asshats? Some of us solo not to brag but to enjoy what the game has to offer on our own terms. In fact, I bet a majority of the solo players are the types to enjoy the ride through leveling at a leisurely pace instead of zipping through to endgame. Not a whole lot for a solo player to do at endgame anyway.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

Originally posted by trancejeremy

Well, the obvious answer is there simply aren't many single player RPGs anymore. What, maybe 3-4 notable ones a year? If that.

Yeah it's sad and the shooter games are as plentiful as the platform games were back in the old days.

Originally posted by Axehilt

Really simple:

If solo gameplay was all you sought, you wouldn't play MMOs.
    For the overwhelming majority of MMOers, solo gameplay isn't all they seek.

Even the most hardcore solo player finds value in the game they play being an MMO, or they wouldn't be there.

Nah, they just want to talk smack in the chat channels and show off their gear.

• picamonpicamon Member Posts: 81

some players like solo gameplay even tho they play MMO, they just dont react on the cummunity, however the communtiy in an MMO is the most essential part in a MMO game.

• neuronomadneuronomad Member Posts: 1,276

This is that age old question.

Personally I like mostly soloing because A) I tend to get more done soloing.   B) While I like to do my own thing, I like to feel like I am in an active world.   I like to see strangers pass by me, even say hi to them.  C) I have a 4 year old so I can't always focus on playing, so instead of joining a group and then having to leave at a bad time I just don't join the group.

MMOs are always constantly evolving too.  This isn't really something you see in a single player game.    New zones come up, new quest, new things to do.   You can't usually get that in a SP game.

My question is why do some people insist that people that like to solo are any less of a MMO player than those that get in 20-40 man raids every night?  

Also just because I solo doesn't mean that I am not being sociable.   I spend a lot of time chatting in Guild Chat and on Vent.   Just because I am not physically in a dungeon with guild mates doesn't mean that I am ignoring the social aspect of the game.

In the end solo players pay the same money per month to play the game that people that do nothing but group pay.    So what is it to you or anyone else if I choose to do my own thing?

Confession of a Solo Player than loves MMOs for social reasons. 

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557
    Originally posted by jonrd463

Sorry for the rant.

I would argue that WoW opened the doors to solo players but in a different way. WoW brought in plenty of non-MMO types that had never heard of the WC RTS games or Diablo before. It brought in non-RPers who insisted on bringing their deathmatch playstyle, with all the douchbaggery inherent therein, and killed the desire to group. Not saying that WoW alone is to blame, but mainstreaming of the genre is. 

^^ this.

• ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Reeper

you dont choose an MMO to play Solo, you have every expectation to group,

Let me stop you there. A lot of people do choose an MMO to play solo, that's a fact and there's no reason whatsoever why they shouldn't do just that.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Really simple:

Even the most hardcore solo player finds value in the game they play being an MMO, or they wouldn't be there.

Nah, they just want to talk smack in the chat channels and show off their gear.

"Nah"?  But...you're agreeing with me...

You're stating one of the reasons solo gameplay isn't all MMO players seek.  You're stating one of the reasons "the most hardcore solo player finds value in the game being an MMO".

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• tehikktehikk Member Posts: 497

I like to solo, with grouping as an option. I like a world where me and my friends can group up WHEN WE WANT TO, and do stuff.

"The question that sometimes drives me hazy: Am I, or the others crazy?" - Albert Einstein

• Cephus404Cephus404 Member CommonPosts: 3,675

Really simple:

I don't.  In fact, I'd rather play solo all the time with no exceptions and play an MMO.  So you're wrong.

Played: UO, EQ, WoW, DDO, SWG, AO, CoH, EvE, TR, AoC, GW, GA, Aion, Allods, lots more
    Relatively Recently (Re)Played: HL2 (all), Halo (PC, all), Batman:AA; AC, ME, BS, DA, FO3, DS, Doom (all), LFD1&2, KOTOR, Portal 1&2, Blink, Elder Scrolls (all), lots more
    Now Playing: None
    Hope: None

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    Originally posted by Cephus404

Really simple:

I don't.  In fact, I'd rather play solo all the time with no exceptions and play an MMO.  So you're wrong.

ok !but then you dont need a mmo?an mo like wow is plenty

why ask for a mmo !you dont need it ?you will never play 500 vs 500 player(thats what a mmo is!

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

My wife plays WOW, after I got her hooked, simply cause grinding appeals to her.

Not she is not big on socializing because anytime she tried in the past it became a tell fest asking if she was a real woman.

Now what she has said is that she enjoys the feeling of live players milling around int eh same world with her. She enjoys a quick pickup group to help with a mish in the area she is at at the time. And loves to aid those who are in need while she is passing by.

But otherwise, she is always solo.

So some need more from that Multiplayer experince, some need less.

In the end, different strokes for different folks.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by drbaltazar

Really simple:

why ask for a mmo !you dont need it ?you will never play 500 vs 500 player(thats what a mmo is!

So you didn't take the time to actually read any of this thread?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

Really simple:

500 vs 500 players is not a mmo, its a mess. And whats with the 'mo' vs 'mmo' thing? Are you one of those purist freaks?

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Really simple:

People like the OP act all innocent and 'Oh Im just curious and really want to know' but what they really want is to rub their self-appointed "mmorpg superiority" at everyone that doesnt like to play the same way as them.

They ask for reasons, they are given reasons, but then can only reply with "then go play a single player game".

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Top 10 reasons how players scare developers into making a MMO 90% solo capable.

1. Player has job, no time to play.

2. Player is married, no time to play.

3. Player has kids, no time to play.

4. Player has personal stuff, no time to play.

5. Raids take too long, no time to play.

6. Player dies too much, no time to figure out game mechanics.

7. Good items take too long to get, not enough time to play.

8. Player doesn't like grouping, no time to find others to group with.

9. Travel time between locations take too long, even with teleporting/mounts.

10. Not enough easy win PvP areas, see #6.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by Toquio3

Originally posted by Sovrath

Really simple:

People like the OP act all innocent and 'Oh Im just curious and really want to know' but what they really want is to rub their self-appointed "mmorpg superiority" at everyone that doesnt like to play the same way as them.

They ask for reasons, they are given reasons, but then can only reply with "then go play a single player game".

To that I would then say "ok op, you've been given your reasons and no matter what you think of the reasons they are reasons"

The thing is, if pro-grouping players want to win people to their side they are going to have to be a bit less dogmatic about how players play. Why would anyone want to assert a more group based play style when they are met with this type of attitude.

In the end, when I group, I only group with people I like or who are not too distasteful. If I had to hear this type of rhetoric in game and in group I would drop it so fast and actually go enjoy myself as much as my 15 dollars allowed me to.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ShadewalkerShadewalker Member Posts: 299
    Originally posted by Briansho

You forgot one.

11. Most  players like solo-capable MMO's.

Even diehard groupers won't play an MMO if it forces them to group. People like choices, they don't want to be boxed into a corner whichever particular playstyle they happen to prefer to adopt most of the time.

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

You forgot the primary reason:

-Player finds the game not fun, takes his/her money and leaves.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

Really simple:

You might have misunderstood Axehilt's post. Or maybe I have, dunno.

Let's assume it was you, otherwise this post is kinda pointless.

You might solo all the time, but the odds are that you choose an MMO rather than a single player game because of the unique properties of a persistent, populated world .. i.e. other people. Be that talking to them, trading with thim, killing with them, killing them or generally just looking at other players are they pass by.

In essence, Axehilt's right .. you're not just playing for the solo gameplay. You're also playing for the populated environment that the solo gameplay takes place in and solo games don't have.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Really simple:

You might have misunderstood Axehilt's post. Or maybe I have, dunno.

Let's assume it was you, otherwise this post is kinda pointless.

You might solo all the time, but the odds are that you choose an MMO rather than a single player game because of the unique properties of a persistent, populated world .. i.e. other people. Be that talking to them, trading with thim, killing with them, killing them or generally just looking at other players are they pass by.

In essence, Axehilt's right .. you're not just playing for the solo gameplay. You're also playing for the populated environment that the solo gameplay takes place in and solo games don't have.

QFT

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Really simple:

Why do you play an MMO?

Your answer will include a combination of features, at least some of which are MMO-specific.  Which was the point of my previous post.  Even if the majority of things you're after in a game are solo gameplay, if you're playing an MMO it's because there was something specific to MMOs that you also wanted from a game.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• NekrataalNekrataal Member Posts: 557
    Originally posted by Torik

You forgot the primary reason:

-Player finds the game not fun, takes his/her money and leaves.

Player should have had the good judment of knowing that maybe MMORPG's aren't his cup of tea & moved on. But nooooooo, player cried & whined until he made all game suited for his style (god forbid some ppl might still enjoy what MMO's use to be) rendering all current MMORPG's meaningless pile of "blip".