Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A symphony of irony (David Allen quotes)

HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Sources:

http://www.mmogamer.com/11/14/2009/alganon-interview-with-david-allen

http://news.mmosite.com/content/2009-02-17/20090217234707164,2.shtm

http://www.massively.com/2009/11/11/alganon-community-interview-your-questions-answered/

http://webz.us/hz/htm/wrh.htm

Incredibly ironic quotes are in RED.

2004: Forum post written in third person by David Allen about David Bowman and James Jones:

“I have learned through reliable sources that David Allen has left Artifact for good. He is gone forever. He is not doing story, or the book, or the movie, he is doing nothing and that is because he was kicked out by people who could not recognize his genius.

He has gone off to start a new company that will express his true vision for what Horizons was going to be before it was modified beyond all reason. Keep an eye out for it.

To all the employees of Artifact, I wish you the best and I hope your version of Horizons can come anywhere close to what Mr. Allen's vision was. He was the true driving force behind the project, and I hope it can somehow be continued without his guiding light.”

2009 MMOsite interviw:

“When people ask for a single sentence describing Alganon, my response is "the first viable alternative to World of Warcraft."

“The Alganon UI was designed from scratch, but designed in such a fashion that it's easy to use, navigate, and understand. Any similarities are likely due to the fact it's just the 'right design'. How many cars do you know of that do not have speed gauges, just because they wanted to be different?”

“When people play Alganon, within the first ten minutes we often hear "this reminds me of when I first played World of Warcraft! ... but it's a different game!" This is exactly what we want to hear, because it means players are enjoying a great game and they recognize it's unique and something different.”

“The proof will be in the number of people who play it and refer it to their friends during beta and after launch.”

“Well one big problem is the industry has been flooded with low quality F2P games all trying to ‘take a bite of the WoW pie.’”

“The F2P model is popular because it allows lower quality games to make more money.”

“In reality, since WoW, very few quality fantasy-based MMOGs have been released, and those games went out of their way to try and be different from WoW. It’s not uncommon for players who pick up these games find that the features designed to make the game “different,” actually make the game less fun. The designers of these games made a decision to sacrifice “fun” for “different.”

“Players aren’t upset there’s a game that resembles WoW. They’re upset that for the past few years they’ve been bombarded and desensitized by a combination of “weak” games and advertising that sells them on the idea that “similar is bad.”

“,for the past few years, every MMOG released has spent millions of dollars trying to convince gamers that “fun doesn’t matter; different is what you want,” and for many gamers, this marketing worked”

2009: Massively Interviews:

“Right now, the industry standard is to squeeze as much money as they can out of players by introducing cash shops, and forcing them to pay for things that ought to have been part of the game.”

“I have yet to hear anyone who has played Alganon for any duration call it a "WoW ripoff"

“Today, our privately financed, independent gaming studio has produced an MMOG that is being compared to the most successful MMOG in history, and it's a bad thing?”

“You might scoff and dismiss families as "just an icon, some clothes, and a chat channel,"

“The sky is the limit, and if we want to, we can move that, too.”

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

Comments

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

Talk about mixed messages. Its head spinning.

• IgorchtIgorcht Member UncommonPosts: 82

Yeah, I giggle every time I read anything this guy says.

"I am the weapon that strikes/In the hearts of men I thrive/Feeding their fear with lies/I will devour/I will divide/I am the god of hellfire/inside every man there lives a liar/before their gods they cower/I will divide/I will devour" - "Divide Devour" by Iced Earth

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Lol that was my massively question he replied to there, like pointed out now it was total bullshit on his part and i was quite angry after that but oh well he's gone now.

• Miles-ProwerMiles-Prower Member Posts: 1,106

This guy seems like a cornered animal. Clawing helplessly; trying to defend itself against the inevitable doom.

~Miles "Tails" Prower out! Catch me if you can!

imageimageimage
    Come Join us at www.globalequestria.com - Meet other fans of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic!
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Holgranth

2009 MMOsite interviw:
    “When people ask for a single sentence describing Alganon, my response is "the first viable alternative to World of Warcraft."

Ok I am not a game designer, I do not own a game company and I do not work in game marketing.

But....................doesn't someone who say something like that give the impression he hasn't got a clue?

The reason I never tried this game in the first place is because visually it looks exactly like WoW (I did play WoW for 2 years)

I mean why would I want an alternative to WoW when WoW is the best WoW game out there?

And why would I want to play a monthly fee for it?

I mean I left EQ2 because it started looking too much like WoW, in fact I left EQ2 for WoW.

And I did it because if developers insist making games that looks like WoW, being the intelligent person that I am, I am going to play the game itself.............................

When devs will understand they need to do something different from WoW if they want to steal customers from it?

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039

"A Keyring? Achievements? These are not WoW-specific things. They are common sense. They exist in the real world."