Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

David Allen leaves Alganon

2»

Comments

• tanoriltanoril Member Posts: 432

The fact that there are only two pages to that intro thread on their forums should tell you all you need to know about how big their playerbase is.  This is the best part of the post though

This whole "WoW look-a-like" rubbish, is gone. I've essentially asked them to throw it all out and for the artists to come up with the game's own unique look and feel for for both the web UI as well as the game UI itself.

You don't go competing with WoW when you don't have a WoW sized budget or the manpower to match. But thats what David wanted to do and I've pretty much tossed it all. The team was unable to actually do this previously due to David wanting it that way, even though they knew it was a terrible decision.

This guy David Allen needs to disappear from MMO's I would think.

• S1nn3rS1nn3r Member Posts: 7

Derek Smart's involved in this now ?

Ohh this should be fun *gets popcorn*

Im guessing most here may not know of Dererk but those that do, or have been on the reciveing end of his wrath(I have heh) ..well they will know what i mean.

• S1nn3rS1nn3r Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by zarawer

Sounds like Derek needs a publicist, cause some of the things he said should never be said or said differently.  Sheesh!

Derek has a habit of being very undiplomatic, its his style. And i wouldnt want it any other way.. not least for the drama value alone.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

For those unfamiliar with their new President, he managed to rankle people enough to inspire this youtube video:

www.youtube.com/watch

Gave me a good laugh.

• RadmuzRadmuz Member Posts: 85

I can handle a flame thrower. Alganon has some good stuff in it, and then it has some major problems.

Did they use David Allen as a scapegoat or was he half as bad as they say? Who knows for sure. I am perfectly fine with Derek. Just give me the straight shot and do not hold back is my preferred way to communicate. Do not leave me guessing what you are doing, which is what has been going on at Alganon for months.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Originally posted by Radmuz

I can handle a flame thrower. Alganon has some good stuff in it

Such as?

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

wow Derek Smart, how he has a job is besides me, the battle cruisers games were horid and one of the worse things about them were the interface

amd what does this man want to fix fist in the game the interface. well expect the attack button to be hidden behind 10 menu layers.

and I would also only expect any critisim of the game regardless of how small to be done on these forums only.

• DarzinDarzin Member Posts: 46

LOL! Derek Smart just pulled a David Allen on David Allen. That is fantastic. Also, this horrid game still sucks.

Almighty Dollar 1, MMORPG.com members 0!
    Blog

• DoomReaperDoomReaper Member UncommonPosts: 143

* Yes, legally I actually can say that. Contractors (work-for-hire) have no special priviledges, are not employees and given David's history of blaming everyone else but himself for mistakes he has made, breaching signed NDA agreements, putting the company and investors at huge risk, flat out LYING to everyone involved etc I'm not inclined to leave any reasonable doubt as to how he "departed" QOL because it is pretty much exactly as his Artifact departure, complete with all the same mistakes.

Sure it's easy to bring up the past and make comparisons, paint a picture of repeated failings. Helps with the scapegoat tactic if that's what is happening. From where I'm standing though it sounds so true. I'm reluctant to believe that this new Derek Smart guy is using Allen as a scapegoat but only because when you look closely at Horizons and the start of the blackout it's fairly clear that Artifact Entertainment tried to keep things quiet instead of coming clean about what really happened. Over the years there has been enough said by various employees of Artifact/Tulga/Virtrium that filled in the pieces of the puzzle. Not to mention David Allen's own attempts to tell his version of events from a third person perspective.

• aRidionaRidion Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by PhelimReagh

For those unfamiliar with their new President, he managed to rankle people enough to inspire this youtube video:

www.youtube.com/watch

Gave me a good laugh.

OMG I almost died when I saw that, cause I couldnt breath anymore due to laughing!!

pure win

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

Derek Smart.. Why does that name sound familiar? Was he the guy behind the Mourning fiasco?

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276

Woot! game over man!

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    Originally posted by Emeraq

Wikipedia has this to say about Derek Smart:   Derek Smart has become known in the gaming community for making aggressive and lengthy online replies to criticism of his work, leading to heated and protracted discussions on Usenet and game forums.[6] In an interview which was featured on the cover page of Computer Gaming World, Smart said of his online persona: "Sometimes when I get online, and it's quiet, and I see something that attracts my attention, I'll post just to piss these guys off. That's why I do it. Because I'm in a good mood that day, I go in there and I start trouble."[2] A case history about the troubles and problems Mr. Smart encountered during the development of his flagship game, BattleCruiser 3000AD, commented that "... almost everyone would agree that he is probably the best known, most divisive personality ever to participate in an online gaming community."[7]

Why would ANY company bring on a guy that ADMITS to trying to piss people off??? Yeah, that's smart business, and good customer service... RIP Alganon.

It reminds me of Howard Stern,and look how popular that was.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

Some good did come of this.

This is the longest thread I've seen on this site where everyone agrees with each other and things are peachy.

Thanks Derek and Dave!

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.