Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Runes of Magic worth trying out?

RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Hello, I was just wondering if Runes of Magic is a game worth trying out or is it a game that should be avoided? Reason I'm asking is because some guy on my Youtube channel keeps hogging me saying I shouldn't judge the game without playing it first, if I remember correctly I said it's a terrible rip off game of WoW. Clearly I have no idea what most people think of RoM, so help me out here. Another thing is I have a bit of a concern about the item shop, are item shops a really bad thing?

Comments

• elseerelseer Member Posts: 5

I gave a go to RoM and it seemed fun. It's on my list of games to revisit once I'm over a deeply entrenched feeling on ennui over mmorgs in general. It's got a nice cash shop, a please crafting system, nice quests and what seems to be a fairly helpful player base (from what I've seen). IT's REALLY pretty as well.  IT cant hurt to give it a go :>

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

You might as well. It's not like it costs anything to download and there is no subscription fee.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• dragonfyredragonfyre Member Posts: 60

Its free to play, its a decent WoW clone,(which of course WoW itself is a clone), with a few other games thrown in there, did I mention it's free to play. Plus the item shop isn't bad, none of the stuff in the shop are needed to enjoy the game. Crafting is actually fun, the player base is helpful, and of course its free to play. Of course after you do play it, and you still feel like judging it, at least you'll be able to say that you have played it.

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

My wife loves it, gameplay is decent, graphics are decent.  The whole game is done fairly well.  Like everyone has said, you have nothing to lose by trying it :)

Prax

• knighthonorknighthonor Member Posts: 96
    Originally posted by RudyRaccoon

Hello, I was just wondering if Runes of Magic is a game worth trying out or is it a game that should be avoided? Reason I'm asking is because some guy on my Youtube channel keeps hogging me saying I shouldn't judge the game without playing it first, if I remember correctly I said it's a terrible rip off game of WoW. Clearly I have no idea what most people think of RoM, so help me out here. Another thing is I have a bit of a concern about the item shop, are item shops a really bad thing?

RoM does Copy WoW. But is that a bad thing?

Cause the same could be said about WoW and how it copies Everquest. But WoW is the greatest MMORPG out right now.

So thats a flawed logic to place judgement on.

check this out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo4HYoud0Vg&feature=related

Some PvE action in the Dungeons

• RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Originally posted by knighthonor

Cause the same could be said about WoW and how it copies Everquest. But WoW is the greatest MMORPG out right now.

check this out

Well I've finally played the game myself and the game is actually terrible just as I predicted, the servers lag too much, the graphical design is cheap looking literally and I can't believe you have to play money to fully upgrade your character such as additional TP points and Runes for your high end gear, Runes of Magic is robbery but at least I've actually tried it. =p

The only other F2P I have played recently is Dungeons & Dragons Online and that's a far better game with the option of P2P if you wanted to. =)

About WoW, actual gameplay wise WoW is great but WoW's online community tells a different story...MOST people in WoW are horrible, they have nothing better to do than troll all day and calling normal inexperienced players "noobs" whenever questions are asked about anything in the game they are unsure about or they just flat out ignore you, in fact no-one in WoW wants to be your friend, very rarely I ever met people I liked and as everyone else is a frigging ass hat it makes even max level dungeon crawling a nightmare because they only allow people who have certain achievements and gear, it's just stupid. WoW no longer has what every other MMORPG has, a social network, an online environment where people like to get together and sadly WoW doesn't have that anymore like it did in Vanilla WoW.

I don't ever want to come back to WoW, it's the most overrated game of all time and I agree with everyone now who hates WoW, it's already reached it's peak, just let it die now.

• knighthonorknighthonor Member Posts: 96

Originally posted by knighthonor

check this out

Well I've finally played the game myself and the game is actually terrible just as I predicted, the servers lag too much, the graphical design is cheap looking literally and I can't believe you have to play money to fully upgrade your character such as additional TP points and Runes for your high end gear, Runes of Magic is robbery but at least I've actually tried it. =p

The only other F2P I have played recently is Dungeons & Dragons Online and that's a far better game with the option of P2P if you wanted to. =)

About WoW, actual gameplay wise WoW is great but WoW's online community tells a different story...MOST people in WoW are horrible, they have nothing better to do than troll all day and calling normal inexperienced players "noobs" whenever questions are asked about anything in the game they are unsure about or they just flat out ignore you, in fact no-one in WoW wants to be your friend, very rarely I ever met people I liked and as everyone else is a frigging ass hat it makes even max level dungeon crawling a nightmare because they only allow people who have certain achievements and gear, it's just stupid. WoW no longer has what every other MMORPG has, a social network, an online environment where people like to get together and sadly WoW doesn't have that anymore like it did in Vanilla WoW.

I don't ever want to come back to WoW, it's the most overrated game of all time and I agree with everyone now who hates WoW, it's already reached it's peak, just let it die now.

OK now we seem to be getting deeper to the point of this thread.

You are a troll.

Who like others on this site, seem to find enjoyment in bashing games with similar style to WoW, and even WoW itself.

Well there you go Mr Troll, you hate WoW, thats what this was all about. I guess you cool now.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

Ok from what you just put proved you lied and never played it, becouse everyone who has played it enjoyed it so why lie about it.

Originally posted by charlespayne

Ok from what you just put proved you lied and never played it, becouse everyone who has played it enjoyed it so why lie about it.

No, I really have played Runes of Magic, I did not like it at all and secondly I was not trolling, I'm just proving my point that WoW isn't a good game like everybody else keeps saying.

• charlespaynecharlespayne Member UncommonPosts: 381

I hate wow but id rather play runes of magic then i would play wow.

• DirkzenDirkzen Member Posts: 144

Been playing it off and on for about a year now, with some rather mixed experiences and feelings.  It really 'is' a clone of.. well.. ~fill in the blank with your most/least favorite mmorpg~   though it does a pretty decent job of mixing the good with the bad, as far as F2P mmo's go.

The bad- 

Somewhat high system requirements.   This game is all about the eyecandy and special effects,  and if you don't have at least a 'fairly decent'  video card...  then yea.  Prepare to lag balls.

A little 'too' quiet...  seriously.  Either they're fudging the numbers somewhere, or 30,000 + people don't say a word, save for a few calls for groups on an instance here and there.  It sorta feels like you're playing solo most of the time.  (..I guess this could be a good or a bad thing? ...)

The patches and bugfixes seem to break more shit than they fix.  They do seem to patch up this game quite often, usually a couple times a month to introduce new events, or to fix this and that...  but it has the unfortunate side effect of breaking a handfull of quests on the side, usually the ones you're about to do.

The item shop is questionable.  Technically, you can go through the game without buying a damn thing and you'll be just fine, even when you hit the level cap and are on the road to picking up the 'endgame' items.   The shop doesn't offer those 'ultra-leet' armors and weapons that usually mess up the balance of most F2P mmo's,  instead, they offer potions and whatnot that helps you craft and refine your armor a bit faster.   The only exception here are mounts.   You can spend $20 for a few thousand 'diamonds'  and get whatever the hell kind of ride they have to offer right off,  or..  you can pay 20k gold, ingame, per diamond, until you save up enough to get them.   ....only took me a month, but thats what I did.   xD

The good- 

This game is pure eyecandy.  If you have a decent enough system to crank everything up to the max, do it.   Try not to drool over the keyboard at how badass just a simple, noob-level fireball spell looks.

The storyline actually sorta draws you in, and is pretty cool to read if you take the time.

Daily quests for you 'power levelers'  out there.

Fairly responsive GM's.

Wiki's and addons for just about everything to do with the game if you get stuck, or want to get the most out of it.

Bots/gold spammers are nearly non-existant.  Even if you do see one,  you're just one tiny addon away from silencing them for good.   The GM's seem to be more on this issue than they are about fixing broken quests.  o.0

But to boil it down...  yea.   Its basically a slightly prettier, more resource intensive version of WoW.      xD 

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119

No, I really have played Runes of Magic, I did not like it at all and secondly I was not trolling, I'm just proving my point that WoW isn't a good game like everybody else keeps saying.

If this was really about WoW to begin with then you should have posted in the WoW forums where I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate you.

As for why you don't like RoM, sure you can have an opinion and post as much as you want about why. But instead of posting just the specifics and then leaving it at that, you bridged into "and this is just like WoW which I hate." So what kind of response to that did you expect?

Like others here have observed, you don't need to spend real world $$$ if you don't want to on this game. Talent Points can be used to your advantage if you know how to do so. The game story is intriguing and compared to most other F2P the gameplay is polished. For those who are not WoW fans or players RoM can be a lot of fun, it's what you make of it.

I'm not going to repeat the troll accusation here, but you left yourself wide open for that one. Maybe try some constructive criticism of THIS GAME next time instead of devoting most of your text to the one billionth "I hate WoW" post I'm sure we've all read ad nauseum.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

op!yes the game is worth its salt!they just released the keep battle feature so this should be epic!

Originally posted by drbaltazar

op!yes the game is worth its salt!they just released the keep battle feature so this should be epic!

Maybe I was a bit critical about Rune of Magic, I know bag space is going to be one of the problems in this game meaning they want you to waste your money just to rent bag space. As for the graphics, the enviroments looks nice but the character models look cheap looking. My guess is the online community is good. :)

I guess I should give Runes of Magic another try.

• MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786

It's free so all you have to lose is time.

β€œIt's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414

Originally posted by lancelot76

If this was really about WoW to begin with then you should have posted in the WoW forums where I'm sure they'd be happy to accommodate you.

As for why you don't like RoM, sure you can have an opinion and post as much as you want about why. But instead of posting just the specifics and then leaving it at that, you bridged into "and this is just like WoW which I hate." So what kind of response to that did you expect?

Like others here have observed, you don't need to spend real world $$$ if you don't want to on this game. Talent Points can be used to your advantage if you know how to do so. The game story is intriguing and compared to most other F2P the gameplay is polished. For those who are not WoW fans or players RoM can be a lot of fun, it's what you make of it.

I'm not going to repeat the troll accusation here, but you left yourself wide open for that one. Maybe try some constructive criticism of THIS GAME next time instead of devoting most of your text to the one billionth "I hate WoW" post I'm sure we've all read ad nauseum.

hehe the game is basically a wow/gw clone and yea you dont have to spend real world cash if you like mailing items back and forth to mule chars and walking alot to mention a few things

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Well one thing to remember too, unless theyve made some pretty drastic changes in recent months, is that you dont actually HAVE to pay for any of the cash shop items or bag rentals. You can sell ingame items & gold for casdh shop Diamonds through the auction house. Just invest a little time in farming some ingame gold, or hunt down some of the better equipment for the different levels and turn around and post it on the AH for diamonds and youll have your bag rental and other stuff covered for free.