Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No Jump? Why??

Comments

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649

Most people are use to characters that can jump because 90% of MMO'S offer it.

With that said, who gives a crap?!

While playing FFXI for 2 years, I never once desired to jump.  I was busy having fun and enjoying everything SUBSTANTIVE the game had to offer.

If you like cosmetic things in the game, then you have 591230193 to choose from.

No one should force a company to make a game the way YOU want it.  I'd rather a company have a vision... set out to make that vision... and damn the rest.

SquareEnix has constantly delivered and if people won't play FFXIV because you can't jump... all I have to say is.. thank goodness!  It's a good way to filter people with limited attention spans or those who prefer style over substance.

• ThaddyMakThaddyMak Member UncommonPosts: 13

Originally posted by zinkerz

Why would someone want to jump? what good does it do? I'm perfectly fine with square's decision on no jumping.

Because of Kris Kross.
  • BallistaBallista Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Khrymson

Originally posted by Ballista  and also can be used tactically in combat situations,

Other than being a bunny-hopping tard in PvP situations, how does it even remotely become tactical...?  Mobs will still hit you whether your jumping or not, with melee or magic...it doesn't increase resistances or make you invulnerable to attacks or hard to hit. {well as already mention in PvP...}

Its a useless option, and the way FFXI is designed and from what we've seen of XIV thus far, there is absolutely no reason to  jump...

"You will also be able to choose the direction of your attack, and this will also influence the damage you exert on your opponent." - from http://www.final-fantasy-14.org/ff14-content/battle-system/

A LOT of people not only perform targeting better with jumping spatial mobility but ENJOY it more as well. Just because you're great without it doesn't mean it doesn't provide any combat usefulness to others.

edit: and I'll say it again and again. Jumping is an option - it doesn't effect the gameplay experience of people who do not want it. they don't have to jump, ever.  It does however effect the gameplay experience of people who DO want it.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

No jump annoys the crap out of me too.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by fanita

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Jumping leads to exploitation.
    I remember in DAOC you could just stand on top of a rock and bug out mobs and ranged kill them while they were unable to attack you.  This trend has been in many online games.
    If you are faced with a Fence why should you be able to simply jump over it?  Perhaps they intend for that fence to be a barrier for a reason?

You can easily just make mobs reset and when you are unable to be hit by them. To be honest I don't think there's a completely justifiable reason for not including the z-axis in modern games with development technology where it's at.

It has nothing to do with modern technology. It has everything to do with design decisions made about the gameplay.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

well once beta comes up we can just 100% assure you there is no jumping in FF14 and you can go back to hoping and attacking back in whatever other game it is you do that in.

Originally posted by zanfire

well once beta comes up we can just 100% assure you there is no jumping in FF14 and you can go back to hoping and attacking back in whatever other game it is you do that in.

There's absolutely no need to post replies like this. Have nothing constructive to post with regards to the discussion, then move on.

If you don't like jumping and don't want it in the game, that's fine, and comment exactly why. Other than that don't try to flame people.

Originally posted by PezDSpencer

Originally posted by fanita

You can easily just make mobs reset and when you are unable to be hit by them. To be honest I don't think there's a completely justifiable reason for not including the z-axis in modern games with development technology where it's at.

Z-axis extends forward into space.  Y-axis is up and down. Learn2graph.

Not necessarily :-p

There's two different "approaches" to 3D... Z up or Y up.... this comes into play when moving objects between different 3D programs where each has a different configuration.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• patrikd23patrikd23 Member UncommonPosts: 1,155

No jumping would prolly mean "click to walk also" just like the bunch of f2p piles that are out there.  And if this is the case you will prolly have a few less people in game and you can feel totally not mainsteam and very special in your game. Over and out :)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by patrikd23

No jumping would prolly mean "click to walk also"

Uh, FFXI has no jumping, and you don't click to move...there is no option for it either!

Originally posted by Khrymson

No jumping would prolly mean "click to walk also"

Uh, FFXI has no jumping, and you don't click to move...there is no option for it either!

Sure hope so..

• frankahfrankah Member UncommonPosts: 73

Why is it that jumping is so important? In FFXI, I was happy as hell, with the movement capabilities. I don't see any issues, and so that is fine by me.

Franker

No jumping would prolly mean "click to walk also" just like the bunch of f2p piles that are out there.  And if this is the case you will prolly have a few less people in game and you can feel totally not mainsteam and very special in your game. Over and out :)

Ummm...

Yeah.

FFXI is a 8 year old game. Has no jumping. Has no click-to-move functionality what-so-ever.

• RajenRajen Member Posts: 689

Jumping in games can be nice but it isn't a game breaker for me if it isn't in it. So either way is really fine to me, it didn't really bother me that FFXI didn't allow you to jump and I never really cared.

So yeah, its nice if it's there but it won't bother me if it isn't.

Originally posted by frankah

Why is it that jumping is so important? In FFXI, I was happy as hell, with the movement capabilities. I don't see any issues, and so that is fine by me.
    Franker

Check out my reply on page 8 - I gave some examples of why I feel jumping is important for me personally for gameplay and gameplay enjoyment. ;*)

Franker

FF XI controlls and the fact you cant change all of them is one of the reason i bought it installed it played for 2 hours and put it on the shelf.

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98

Probably about 50% of my enjoyment from a game comes from exploration. The more I feel I may be in a place noone or few people have been before, the more my sense of enjoyment.

Not being able to jump over a tree stump, a stream, a low fence etc, is a kill joy. As is an invisible wall (I HATE invisible walls).

Defend it all you want, but invisible walls and not implementing jumping for fear of Players going where you don't want them to is a lazy mans way of coding / creating a world.

That said. The FF series has so many other pro's (music/atmosphere/storyline) that it may overcome this rather serious 'con'. However I fear that when a Developer is unwilling to implement jumping they will also make use of invisible walls... and I wont even be able to jump up and down in frustration when (if) I find one.. ;-)

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 

Franker

FF XI controlls and the fact you cant change all of them is one of the reason i bought it installed it played for 2 hours and put it on the shelf.

So wait a minute...

You played FFXI for 2 hours, more than long enough to realize there's no jump function... yet still posted this in a previous post:

"No jumping would prolly mean "click to walk also" just like the bunch of f2p piles that are out there."

Then in a following post, where Khrymson posted the following in response to your previous statement...

"Uh, FFXI has no jumping, and you don't click to move...there is no option for it either!"

You replied with:

"Sure hope so.."

So... you claim to have played FFXI for 2 hours before "shelving it".. yet had no idea that it didn't have jumping *and* that it wasn't click to move, and "sure hope so" when it's pointed out that there's no option for click-to-move in FFXI...?

I'm beginning to smell BS in your posts, patrik. Might want to remember things you've posted previously - especially right in the same thread. It would help perpetuate a sense of "consistency" in what you say.

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Its an MMO. That's why jumping isn't a necessity,

Some of you are acting as though its a Mario Bros game with no jumping. Wanna play a game where jumping is important? Play Conquer Online! Jump all you want! Everyone does it!

Seriously, one week you guys are bashing a game for being just like the rest, the next you are bashing a game for leaving out a feature that every other game has.

Its not just Final Fantasy, jumping has never been a big part of RPGs period. FF, Dragon Warrior, Phantasy Star, Breath of Fire, Xeno(series), you name it. Once again, so many fans of MMORPGs are not fans of RPGs. Thats a problem.

I would be happy with jumping in the game if there was a use for it, and so far, all indicators are saying there isn't. There wasn't jumping in XI and I don't remember one person in game saying, "Man I wish I could jump." Adding jumping to it or XIV would be pointless. It's not like SE is gonna dangle some shiny, gold coin above your head or make you smash floating bricks with it.

Oh, and if there is a fence in a game with no jumping, that fence was put there with the intention of you going around it.

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Originally posted by Serignuad

Probably about 50% of my enjoyment from a game comes from exploration. The more I feel I may be in a place noone or few people have been before, the more my sense of enjoyment.
    Not being able to jump over a tree stump, a stream, a low fence etc, is a kill joy. As is an invisible wall (I HATE invisible walls).
    Defend it all you want, but invisible walls and not implementing jumping for fear of Players going where you don't want them to is a lazy mans way of coding / creating a world.
    That said. The FF series has so many other pro's (music/atmosphere/storyline) that it may overcome this rather serious 'con'. However I fear that when a Developer is unwilling to implement jumping they will also make use of invisible walls... and I wont even be able to jump up and down in frustration when (if) I find one.. ;-)

I think MMOs should take a Darwinian approach to solving the problem of "players going where you don't want them."

Falling off of roofs you aren't suppose to be playing on and dying, falling off of cliffs you aren't suppose to be able to climb and dying, drowning in areas you aren't suppose to swim and dying, tripping and falling over obsticles you aren't suppose to traverse and dying...

Pretty much anything that involves wall-hacking, terrain bugging, so-called "explorers" dying over and over and over again in ridiculous and comical ways... I'm all for.

• AlberelAlberel Member Posts: 1,121

I'm not actually bothered either way. I like the idea of jumping in an MMO because it makes the world feel more interactive. On the other hand there are definate benefits to leaving it out; I'll admit FFXI's world definately felt a hell of a lot more immersive WITHOUT the jumping.

One thing I've never understood though is the bunny hopping argument... I've never really seen anyone bunny hopping like mad in an MMO. Maybe it's because I don't PvP much but FFXIV isn't going to have any real PvP anyway so it's a non-issue in that regard.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Alberel

One thing I've never understood though is the bunny hopping argument... I've never really seen anyone bunny hopping like mad in an MMO. Maybe it's because I don't PvP much

Uh, go play WoW...thats all they do PvP or not...like it makes them special or something......wait; yeah it does make them special!

Hey guys and gals just wanted to say I amended my original post to include some insightful things I would have liked to convey right at the beginning that came about during the discussion. Makes for a more coherent followup to my original question (which was why SE didn't include jumping into their design of FFXIV).

:*)

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Your OP makes me giggle. You lost interest because of you cant jump? I cant stop laughing now.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by merv808

Seriously, one week you guys are bashing a game for being just like the rest, the next you are bashing a game for leaving out a feature that every other game has.

Its a fools assumption to say "the same people that have been saying this now say that".  Its rarely true.