Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Improved has Age of Conan gotten?

AdvancedTechAdvancedTech Member UncommonPosts: 165

Simple question. Played a while but quit shortly after a couple months ago.

Comments

• CrosswireCrosswire Member UncommonPosts: 264

Let me just say that at last, they seem to be heading in the right direction.  When the new add-on is released they could be back in the winners circle.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327
    Originally posted by Quale

It was broken when it launched, it is broken now and it will be broken tomorrow. Keep moving.

I`m sorry to say, but that`s really not constructive. I can also say "All games/programs are broken when they launch, and they are broken now, and they will be broken tomorrow. Destroy your computer, its useless and broken!"

Back on topic, yes, it has improved, but it depends on how long it has been since you left. A 1-3 months changes little, only puts next update closer (but we did have 1,06 not long ago, plenty of changes there also) When talking on a 6-12 month period, the game has changed and improved beyond many people beliefs of what they thought was gonna happen to the game (closed down etc...)

The next few months will bring patch 1,07 that will prepare the expansion release this summer, stay tuned for more action.

• SeNsaToR1337SeNsaToR1337 Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by Destiny2010

It was broken when it launched, it is broken now and it will be broken tomorrow. Keep moving.

"All games/programs are broken when they launch, and they are broken now, and they will be broken tomorrow. Destroy your computer, its useless and broken!"

Actually, no, all decent games and programs are refined before they are launched, to a certain degree. Developers who release something that is rushed and not finished tend to lead their product into a downward spiral as they are desperately trying to fix these horrible bugs before they lose their customer base: see every MMO that had been rushed out riddled with bugs and unfinished (WHO, DFO, Mortal Online, you name it).

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

How was it broken? How is it still broken? How will it be broken in the future?

• nevermore82nevermore82 Member Posts: 55

Imho It has improved enough to make me and 3 other friends of mine re-sub it... and at least speaking for myself I can say that I won't be leaving anytime soon...

I tried AoC in the beginning and was disappointed with it... I think I quit after 2 weeks on my 1 month sub, still haven't fully realized all the changes they made to it since 2008 but I can put it in simple terms... I like it now, I like it a lot more than on the first try. It was definitely worth the second chance.

TU2 Closed Beta Testing... looking very good so far :D

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835

I'm of the opinion that the one's that say this are the Pvp players and for them it may be a closer statement than you think.

BUT

Since AoC was launched as a PvE game you really have to list 2 statements.  Since all I know about Pvp is what I read on the O-boards I'll let the above statement stand.

From a PvE experience it does seem as if the game is only getting better.  I tried a trial in May 2009 and then again in Dec 2009 and can say in just that short time things changed and were improved.  Collision detection seems to have been tweaked.  Somekind of change to the basic computer running was done (optimized?) so I'm now able to run it on the low end of the spec scale and they did another server merge the start of Feb so now it's just 2 PvE and 2 Pvp servers which has condenced the pop's to where they should be (no more empty server look).   Lot's of the changes seem to have been above my level so I can't comment on them.

If you really want to know, go to the AoC home page and start a lvl 1-20 free (new account) trial and run through Tortage to get a feel for stuff.  It's free and the best way to find out what's important to you.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Xondar123

Little beyond level 20(the starting Island) was really polished or thought out.  I spent a few months in at launch, and then went on to other games. As for the second, I can't really say.  I've heard they have improved it, but YMMV. As for the last, lord only knows.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • ThorgrimmThorgrimm Age of Conan CorrespondentMember Posts: 274

How has Age of Conan Improved?  For those that have not been keeping up with the articles that go into detail on all the changes and updates coming out with Age of Conan, I will re-link the articles below.  There has been tremendous improvements, and, due to ALL of the work done on Age of Conan in the last year, AoC won "Most Improved Game of 2009". Please read the attached articles, and pull down a trial?  I think that if you have not been online AoC in a while, you will be impressed...

Looking at Rise of the Godslayer, Part One

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/3810/Looking-at-Rise-of-the-Godslayer-Part-One.html

A Look at Rise of the Godslayer, Part Two

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/3862/A-Look-at-Rise-of-the-Godslayer-Part-Two.html

The Road to Most Improved - Background

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/3916/The-Road-to-Most-Improved-Background.html

The Road to Most Improved: Jan - Mar

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/3921/The-Road-to-Most-Improved-Jan-Mar.html

The Road to Most Improved: April - August

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/3944/The-Road-to-Most-Improved-April-August.html

The Road to Most Improved: August - December

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/3970/The-Road-to-Most-Improved-August-December.html

Setting Study: Aquilonia, Jewel of the West 

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/feature/3989/Setting-Study-Aquilonia-Jewel-of-the-West.html

ALL Age of Conan Feature Articles:  http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/191/view/features

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

Like others said, it depends on how long you've been gone.  

From a PvE standpoint, I think it's vastly improved.  There's no voiceover for a lot of NPC's, which is a lot of people's gripe, but then it never claimed to have full voiceover.  You'll have to wait until SWTOR for that one.  I haven't run into any broken quests or abilities yet.  The game gets exponentially better with each patch, and I anticipate that the Godslayer expansion will be buggy at first, but still bring a lot of new and welcome content additions.

The only annoyance I have right now in-game is a 1/4 chance of crashing when zoning, which sucks for me any my friends I play with.  

From a PvP standpoint, I couldn't tell you.  I stay away from PvP in PvE games. 

Prax

• FraxtureFraxture Member UncommonPosts: 121

That's a bunch of bull!

Apparently someone has their panties stuck in their crack.

I was once of the 1st to hate this game from Beta and refused to play at release.

I tried the free trial, and I am in shock and awe at the performance and how fun this game truely is.

I am on Wiccan, come give the free trial a try.

I do not crash while zoning. That seems to be more of a hardware/software issue with some users.

I haven't crashed at all really.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Originally posted by Wraithone
    Little beyond level 20(the starting Island) was really polished or thought out.  I spent a few months in at launch, and then went on to other games. As for the second, I can't really say.  I've heard they have improved it, but YMMV. As for the last, lord only knows.

Well launch was a while ago.  I just moved into my second Stygia zone and can say that it is polished (just what does that exactly mean in a game?) music? Cruise through Khemi with that Arabic soundtrack turned up and tell me it doesn't feel and match where you're at, terrian?  Looks like what I experienced when I was in that part of the world both in town (the Souks anyone?) and outside, NPC's, Animals, Monsters?  Crested a hill yesterday hunting lions and there were the lions and skeltons of their kills laying about, stumbled into an oasis with zebra's, vultures and hyena's in the area ....

and while I've seen some of the standard kill X, collect X missions, the storylines that go with them are thought out and give you a fairly good reason on why you're doing it.  Examples: kill 10 bandits - why?  Bandits have been raiding the caravan routes more boldly, go teach them a lesson etc..... , or collect 10 croc tails - why?  The food merchant sells them as a delicacy.  OK maybe not of the mini-novel standard LotRO gives you but they make sense.

You can't base the game on beta or launch experiences.  It's come a long ways and everyone seems to be saying that the game now is where it should have been at launch.

Grab a trial and see.

Crashing: I've had 2 load screen crashes since mid-Dec so I don't even consider it a problem.

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• cpc71783cpc71783 Member Posts: 45

I'm loving AoC right now. Came from a long line of MMO's, from UO, EQ, SWG, WoW, AoC, DFO, and now AoC again . . this game is just fun. The quests are entertaining for the most part and well written. The graphics look amazing for an MMO, and the scenery is beautiful.

I'd say resub on your old account, pay the $15.00 to get back in and check it out for a while. I played AoC in 2008 and wasn't impressed, came back recently and played nonstop through more than 10 levels in a few days, from 28-42.

It's just a gratifying game. Oh, and I play on the PVP server, which has a less than desirable community (selfish and immature monkeys), while the PVE servers generally house a more friendly bunch of humans.

• Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    Originally posted by Wraithone

I tried the free trial, then picked up the game because it was only $14.99. I had heard that the rest of the game wasn't near as polished as Tortage, but apart from the voice acting I found it to be (no longer) not true.

There are a few things I find annoying with the game, but these problems are apparent in Tortage, so I think the free trial is now a pretty good indicator of what the game will be like.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Atleast the bugs are gone thats allready a huge improvement...

If you read the quests after level 20, the game is still very immersive and close to the experience of Tortage..  Combat is more challenging solo then in any other MMO, luckilly you regain your hitpoints quickly when out of combat.

PvE seems to be on par or better then most other MMO's, Dungeons have great AI.

PvP still needs improvements.

Gear system is much improved also

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

There are a few things I find annoying with the game, but these problems are apparent in Tortage, so I think the free trial is now a pretty good indicator of what the game will be like.

I agree, from what i have seen so far. I have just played through Connall's Valley on a new DT as a recent returner and it's easily the same standard as Tortage, give or take some voice overs (which I don't rlly care about).

• orlacorlac Member Posts: 549

I just resubbed and am very impressed. I had quit awhile back due to the unwieldy game engine and lack of 40-plus quests. Those issues have been addressed and the game runs great and there are plenty of quests.