Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it even worth it to start from scratch at this point?

Heya, last time i played wow was during the burning crusade, i played for a little less than a year and i had fun, i joined a raiding guild and it was entertaining until they decided to go from raiding 2 days a week to 4 days a week. At that point it became a chore and it took up too much of my time. I could have just found another guild but for some reason i decided to quit the game and sell my account.

From time to time i have been thinking about comming back, the would include buying all the expansions again and start from nothing, which i don't mind. Lately i have had a lot more free time and i am really considering picking up wow again. I looked for other mmo's but there isn't really anything good comming out soon.

WoW doesn't have all i want in an mmo but it's better than a lot of the mmo's out there. Most important thing is that there are tons of people playing it and a huge active community.

So is it worth it to start again at this point? Have they made the leveling from 1-60 faster? Cause i don't have to play to play for 6 months to get to 80. Also how is northrend?

Cheers.

Comments

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602
    Originally posted by ObliviousX

Heya, last time i played wow was during the burning crusade, i played for a little less than a year and i had fun, i joined a raiding guild and it was entertaining until they decided to go from raiding 2 days a week to 4 days a week. At that point it became a chore and it took up too much of my time. I could have just found another guild but for some reason i decided to quit the game and sell my account.

From time to time i have been thinking about comming back, the would include buying all the expansions again and start from nothing, which i don't mind. Lately i have had a lot more free time and i am really considering picking up wow again. I looked for other mmo's but there isn't really anything good comming out soon.

WoW doesn't have all i want in an mmo but it's better than a lot of the mmo's out there. Most important thing is that there are tons of people playing it and a huge active community.

So is it worth it to start again at this point? Have they made the leveling from 1-60 faster? Cause i don't have to play to play for 6 months to get to 80. Also how is northrend?

Cheers.

A few of the important features that changed/added since TBC (the time you left) are:

- Choices in leveling: faster, slower (option of experience gains turned off/on), BG's leveling (experience in PvP), mounts earlier, dual specs (easier to group - find tank/healers), in game one click gear changer, doing leveling dungeons due to the new automatic LFG mechanic, heirloom gear, bind on account gear, ...

- Choices in PvP: besides rated Arena, 2 extra  BG's, more organised massive world PvP zone (120vs120 limited). Daily open world pvp quests. Mounted combat mechanics. Siege fortressess and assault guns. BG's can be joined from anywhere.

- Choices in PVE: easier to get at max level to the latest 2 - 3 Raid content, daily quests in all branches (PVE-PvP-Professions), weekly Raids quests and daily badge runs through end dungeons to gear up fast, both in PVE and PVP.

- Choices in Raids; 4 difficulties on each Raid, 10 man, 25 man, 10 heroic, 25 heroic and since the introduction of the two last Raids 25 heroic for normal people almost unbeatable.

- Achievements system added for titles, mounts and prestige. That last aspect replaced the epic gear as a show off. Mostly by mounts and titles.

- Resilience doubled in PvP, meaning the fights last much longer in PvP. An effect that was introduced only a few weeks ago.

- The overal world design of Northrend was considered better than Outland (more 3D vertical built up world) and that's why the new Azeroth will get the same treatment in Cata. More "mini games" added to break the traditional quests routine. Graphics were just a little bit upped (shadowing and a little bit more detail on gear).

I guess a few other dozen changes could be cited, but the above is an overview of changes that impacted gameplay and choices of play since TBC.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• jonrd463jonrd463 Member UncommonPosts: 607

People are constantly rolling alts in WoW, so there's an active playerbase from 1-80. Some areas may not be as populated as others, but people are there. Also, the 1-60 game is getting a revamp when Cataclysm comes out. Maybe you might want to get the game now and run a nostalgia romp up to 80 before all hell breaks loose, and then experience the new content with everyone else when Cata releases.

"You'll never win an argument with an idiot because he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous

• J.YossarianJ.Yossarian Member Posts: 128

Starting a new char and leveling up hasn't been better in a very long time. You can quest, grind or run instances trough the new lfg system all the way. It's quick and easy, despite the occational bad pug; though in my experience most are decent enough. Rolling as a tank can be very handy as such since you can pretty much get a group anytime you like and get to play a bigger role in it's success, it's still easier to compensate fro a bad dps than a bad tank.Healers are similar to a slightly lesser degree. That is down to prefference though.

At 80 gearing up has never been easier. Some servers have some gear snobbery, nothing new, but now spread onto the common or garden variety "pug noob". i suppose it's a mixed blessing as it is now easier to pug content. the change in raids to diffrent tiers of difficulty have made the early raid content fairly easy up til a point. this is a mixed blessing as you will have to look for challenge more actively if you want it.

PvP is a mixed bag of chips. BG's are the same as TBC, some new ones, but they suck. the new WG is a big zerg fight with vehicles, some seem to like it. Arenas are more open to varied setups, but have lost some of the finesse from TBC.

Northrend is as far as leveling goes pretty sweet. The quests are better then ever and the new sones are nice. It's worth playing trough for sure.

• SquishydewSquishydew Member UncommonPosts: 1,107

Leveling has never been this easy, finished leveling a priest from 1 to 80 in a month, while my former characters took 3 months.

End game gear is easy as hell to get, but i suggest you just wait for Cataclysm.

• ColonialColonial Member Posts: 151

Yes

Levelling has been made easier and you can start raiding fresh with everyone when cataclysm launches if thats your cup of tea.

• ObliviousXObliviousX Member Posts: 112

So i will probably buy it tommorow.

One of the thing that made me quit the first time was the horrible community, i was on burning blade. From what i understand burning blade has/had one of the worst community.

Any suggestions as far as servers go? Pvp or pve, it doesn't matter. RP realm is out of the question though.

Thanks.

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

nha!play allods!wow is just too expensive now you need vanilla wow,bc,wotlk and in a bunch of month cataclysm and there is no package like eq2 .its all seperate buy!

• GaurnGaurn Member Posts: 305
    Originally posted by Colonial

Yes
    Levelling has been made easier and you can start raiding fresh with everyone when cataclysm launches if thats your cup of tea.

lol Yeah...you can start from scratch. I would hope that you'd have looked into the happenings of the game, and know that their next expansion "Cataclysm" is coming out this year. They are redoing the entire world of Azeroth(I would like to think Northrend is excluded, since they JUST made that world, but who knows), redoing the entire new player experience. From what zones horde and alliance now own, to what are now considered contested, to how the level progression flows from 1-60, before you head off to outland. Since Blizzard is obviously banking on everyone re-rolling when the new expansion hits, I would say it is safe to assume that you could start from scratch. Besides, there is always a guild working on the various stages of the game, so you are highly likely to find one that is working on an area of the game you wish to experience yourself.

I am personally waiting till the expansion launches before I make a new toon, since I would be doing so anyway when it launches. I'd been dying for a Blood Elf Warrior since The Burning Crusade launched, so finally getting to play the race/class combination I've been wanting to play since 2007 has gotten me pretty excited. Plus I want to be on the same side the Tauren paladins are going to be on, because they're going to hilariously slaughter everyone that belongs to the alliance. We might even win a WSG.:D

• ObliviousXObliviousX Member Posts: 112

@drbaltazar: Honestly i'd play allods if it wasn't going to be run into the ground by the devs.

So any help on a good populated server with a decent community?

• If you play with the intention of Cataclysm yeah because everything is a fresh start at 85. If you are trying to come in and get in a top end raiding guild for wotlk i'd say no it isn't worth it because you won't even have a sliver of hope.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880
    Originally posted by namelessbob

If you play with the intention of Cataclysm yeah because everything is a fresh start at 85. If you are trying to come in and get in a top end raiding guild for wotlk i'd say no it isn't worth it because you won't even have a sliver of hope.

not true at all since cata won't release until November. Will take a month or so to hit 80 then another month to get gear for icc.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I started over on a new server after about 6 months away, and have been haveing a really great time with the new LFD system. Making lots of new friends.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

Originally posted by Frostbite05

If you play with the intention of Cataclysm yeah because everything is a fresh start at 85. If you are trying to come in and get in a top end raiding guild for wotlk i'd say no it isn't worth it because you won't even have a sliver of hope.

not true at all since cata won't release until November. Will take a month or so to hit 80 then another month to get gear for icc.

Make that 2 months to reach level 80 and at least 1 month to reach a serious Raid status, unless you play 8 hours a day.

250 hours / 100 hours is still a very good average to count for people not on boost formulas.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• Originally posted by Frostbite05

Cataclysm will be released before November. They said the 6 months people spent in Naxx was a mistake and they would not repeat that again. Although if they do wait until November they have pretty much sealed their coffin on people staying interested in their game. 11 months with only 1 raid instance is probly the biggest fail of failures of any company. The Ruby Sanctum doesn't count as a raid instance since it is a 1 boss loot drop like Sartharon under Wyrmrest.

I see Cataclysm out in June or July and that is with a lot of pre-Cataclysm events to keep people interested since they won't be interested in the ICC anymore.

Cataclysm will be released before November. They said the 6 months people spent in Naxx was a mistake and they would not repeat that again. Although if they do wait until November they have pretty much sealed their coffin on people staying interested in their game. 11 months with only 1 raid instance is probly the biggest fail of failures of any company. The Ruby Sanctum doesn't count as a raid instance since it is a 1 boss loot drop like Sartharon under Wyrmrest.
    I see Cataclysm out in June or July and that is with a lot of pre-Cataclysm events to keep people interested since they won't be interested in the ICC anymore.

WOW is more than a simple raiding game (although some hope it is just that)

Only 5 % of WOW's player base is into hardcore raiding. Even in WotlK.

The others are either struggling on boss 5 or 6 in ICC for another 3 months and 50% never saw anything decent in the latest raids and will do other things.

Ruby Sanctum and the upcoming events both in PvP and PVE - will be more than enough to come through the summer.

The built up to any expansion always began around 2-3 months before the actual launch.

Launch is October or November with the built up phase starting in August (the multiple interim content will start in May).

• J.YossarianJ.Yossarian Member Posts: 128

The main problem with Naxx was that is was too easy, even for the lower end raiding guilds. Essentially the only reasonably hard encounter in WotLK at launch was Sartharion +3. This left nearly everyone done with all the content long before Ulduar, unlike normally when only the top guilds do this. Paragon, Ensidia and the likes will beat all the content before the new stuff launches. By Cataclysm launches everyone will be sick of ICC for sure, but most will at least still had something to aim for in terms of progress.

I'd expect the ruby sanctum to include a fairly hard heroic mode, to please the ones who do beat the Lich King heroic (the world first is probably not too far off now) as well as give a bit more of a change of scenery for those who don't. I expect Cata to launch "when it's done", we are talking about Blizzard here they are known for this. I hope to see it by september though.

• xinranxiaoxinranxiao Member UncommonPosts: 10

One of the thing that made me quit the first time was the horrible community, i was on burning blade. From what i understand burning blade has/had one of the worst community.

Community is still the same. When it hits 3PM, you will see many trolls and kids on the trade channels. Loot ninjas and just plain jackasses occupy a sizable portion of the population, at least from my years of experience.

Depending on your age, I would look for a more mature server with more serious and likable people to roll with. Serious not as 24/7 raiding guild-kicked-if-you-wipe, but as an understanding community who help each other out. I know this is rare, but i've been in some guilds that have shown this... the mature crowd is "funner" to play with imo

With that, I reccomend searching for the right realm before creating your character. RP realms populate a lot of mature players but you'll be missing out on some action that PVP/normal realms have so decide carefully!

P.S. this game has been nerfed soooo much... so many good things but yet ,like runescape, has been modified to appeal to a lower age of players - everything is too simple!

• ZanzeerZanzeer Member Posts: 80

LOL the guy forgot to add that they have Gearscore Now lol and its annoying for people who are tryin to get gear from the later raids ....and from my experanice with BC and WOTLK theres more morons than ever before ..servers are laggy as shit now days too ...raids are easier than ever before

why must you QQ so much ...

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

I came back again a couple of weeks ago. Having already got quite a few high levels (80, 79 and 2x70) I really didn't feel like playing any and I rerolled on a new server. The things I noticed that I like are:

Dungeon finder -  there is  a 10 - 15 min wait for my new DPS character. As it beams you to instance entrance when you are ready you can carry on questing. The instances tend to be a zerg but you get them done quick and you can carry on leveling.

XP in BGs - This is a great addition and although it would take you too long to level this way it's fun doing the last few levels of a band in BGs. Olus, there are no twinks.

Leveling is extremely quick -  2.5 weeks of and I'm already level 27. The bad thing is it's real easy to kill things as I remember mobs being harder to kill when I originally did vanilla.

• SwoogieSwoogie Member UncommonPosts: 399

@drbaltazar: Honestly i'd play allods if it wasn't going to be run into the ground by the devs.

So any help on a good populated server with a decent community?

I played Alliance Silver Hand. Its a high population realm but I know Nordrassil is pretty traffic heavy right now because it is a recommened realm for "new players" right now.

If you go with Silver Hand, shoot me a whisper and Ill help set you up.

• bleedxoutbleedxout Member Posts: 27

Absolutely not...

I recently just quit after 3 years... The game has been boring since TBC. WoTLK was a complete joke with the handing out gear and releasing "Deathknights"

The PvP is complete trash, it just gets worse.

The game has the worst community in gaming history, it's gotten so bad your own guild doesnt even want to help you.

End game is fun for about a week or 2, but the leveling from 1-80 is slow, boring and annoying.

Lag issues have gotten worse.

Seems like its more overly populated with children these days.

You cannot do anything as a new player because everyone wants you to link your "cheeve"

"Hey i can take a piss now, i just got the *Pissing by myself * cheeve"

What's your Spell rotation in WoW?

What's a spell rotation? i just punch my keyboard!

Dk's = Fail..

Im a Ret pally moron!!

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    Originally posted by bleedxout

Absolutely not...

I recently just quit after 3 years... The game has been boring since TBC. WoTLK was a complete joke with the handing out gear and releasing "Deathknights"
    The game has the worst community in gaming history, it's gotten so bad your own guild doesnt even want to help you.
    End game is fun for about a week or 2, but the leveling from 1-80 is slow, boring and annoying.
    You cannot do anything as a new player because everyone wants you to link your "cheeve"

Oh, yes. Another one of these guys. I just love you guys who played WoW for 3 years come here to say how much the game sucks. Dude, you played the game for 3 years. Do you know how silly you look coming here to bash the game?

You're dead on about the game, don't get me wrong. It took me 3 months to figure out how bad WoW was. Took me 3 weeks of end game playing to see how selfish the community is. It took you 3 years???? You played the game, you enjoyed it. Just admit it. Don't come here saying you played a game you hate for 3 years.

• bleedxoutbleedxout Member Posts: 27
    Originally posted by brostyn

Absolutely not...

Oh, yes. Another one of these guys. I just love you guys who played WoW for 3 years. It took you 3 years???? You played the game, you enjoyed it. Just admit it. Don't come here saying you played a game you hate for 3 years.

Another one of "these guys" What exactly is "these" guys?

It took you 3 years?? Where did i ever say "i played the game for 3 years AND it TOOK me 3 years to figure this out?

I enjoyed it? Wait.. what gave it away? was it the.. wait.. wait.. the 3 years playing time? MY GOD! i think he's onto something.

Seriously dont be a moron, i respect you for trying to come here and bash me.. you tried real hard, you did.. but next time *taps his head* think before you post.

My playing the game for 3 years has nothing to do with.. my hating, loving or sometimes even both.

Not to mention, i didnt even list how many times i had to freeze my account and take a few months to think about if i even wanted to play again.

now to beat you to your next stupidity ridden reply.. "Why did i quit?" right?

two reason...

1. Everything i posted previously..

2. I have seriously lost interest in the game and i moved on..

Thanks for replying tho :P

What's your Spell rotation in WoW?

What's a spell rotation? i just punch my keyboard!

Dk's = Fail..

Im a Ret pally moron!!

My playing the game for 3 years has nothing to do with.. my hating, loving or sometimes even both.

Sounds like a typical love affair to me. 3 years for one mmorpg, that's ... around 4000 PAID hours right?

You wouldn't have paid it if it wasn't worth it.

So yes OP: it is worth it if you want to pay for it.

• yayitsandyyayitsandy Member Posts: 363

I would say no . If you are to start again wait untill the next xpacs out . Even then i think you'll be dispointed with what the games become . Its mostly an endgame raid grind now . Gettting ever better gear that you never use in world pvp because there is non to speak of even on pvp servers . The atmospheres gone .