Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first day in Darkfall!

2»

Comments

• CrittRocketsCrittRockets Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Originally posted by CrittRockets

Originally posted by Cecropia

Yes it really doesn't take long to learn the game. It's quite simple as long as you can get over the terrible UI.

For a game you clearly can't stand, I gotta give ya credit for hangin' in there. To be frank, I would have been long gone.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I enjoyed this game from day 1 . I can see why so many people hate it though its really got nothing going for it besides full loot and open world pvp. Not a very marketable array of attributes.

It is the number one game for Clans content right now, nowhere else does clan organisation, clan coop in such a large scale matter more then in Darkfall. Clans are the true actors in Darkfall.  

It may have nice clan features but I can't see how you can say its the "number one" game for clans, especially with so few people playing darkfall. There are far more clans in other games and many of them would say that whatever game they are playing is the best for clans.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Yes it really doesn't take long to learn the game. It's quite simple as long as you can get over the terrible UI.

For a game you clearly can't stand, I gotta give ya credit for hangin' in there. To be frank, I would have been long gone.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I enjoyed this game from day 1 . I can see why so many people hate it though its really got nothing going for it besides full loot and open world pvp. Not a very marketable array of attributes.

It is the number one game for Clans content right now, nowhere else does clan organisation, clan coop in such a large scale matter more then in Darkfall. Clans are the true actors in Darkfall.  

It may have nice clan features but I can't see how you can say its the "number one" game for clans, especially with so few people playing darkfall. There are far more clans in other games and many of them would say that whatever game they are playing is the best for clans.

But are they the best Clans really ?  Darkfall is the grindstone for clans. Wannabe big clans were dead in hours in Darkfall lol  

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• KalefenKalefen Member Posts: 57
    Originally posted by tyrrin

Well let me start by saying that the concept behind this game is pretty fantastic; I started my MMO career with U) and I haven't seen better PVP in any game since, so first off I AM NOT A CARE BEAR WOW NERD, lol.

That being said, my first impression of this game is that of HORROR! The Interface is clunky and near impossible to navigate, and the process of switching back and forth from looting to combat to interface operations is ridiculous! The interface is a massacre of the senses... The art style is great, if you look at it through 10 year old goggles, EQ1 anybody? The combat is boring, and navigating the land is no better. I only hope that making it to a huge battle (if this game holds my interest that long) redeems the game in some fashion...
    All in all my first impression of this game after playing for several hours is complete and utter disgust... No wonder they charge for a demo! 
    Ill update with my day 2 report tomorrow!

Same races and classes beating each other up = vanilla.

Culturally diverse nations at war with massive political and religious differences =

Conan books

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Dragon Lance - multiple trilogies

Star Wars

Star Trek

etc., etc.,

But are they the best Clans really ?  Darkfall is the grindstone for clans. Wannabe big clans where dead in hours in Darkfall lol  

Rofl... "Best clans" is just another one of those things like "twitch skills" when it comes to darkfall. Just a neat term to throw around when you talk about darkfall because theres really not much to the game. It's quite amazing that darkfall can trick people into thinking that the "best clans" pick darkfall simply by saying it on their website. The very term "best clans" is completely subjective and impossible to measure.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

But are they the best Clans really ?  Darkfall is the grindstone for clans. Wannabe big clans where dead in hours in Darkfall lol  

Rofl... "Best clans" is just another one of those things like "twitch skills" when it comes to darkfall. Just a neat term to throw around when you talk about darkfall because theres really not much to the game. It's quite amazing that darkfall can trick people into thinking that the "best clans" pick darkfall simply by saying it on their website. The very term "best clans" is completely subjective and impossible to measure.

Just try to build one, raise it to about 30 members and hold a holding for 1 - 2 months, if you like a measure..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

Just try to build one, raise it to about 50 members and hold a holding for 1 - 2 months, if you like a measure..

Even if that made any sense how could you possibly compare that to other games? There is no way. This is why the whole idea of "best clans" is just another piece of marketing that many people obviously bought into.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Darkfall is the grindstone for clans. Wannabe big clans were dead in hours in Darkfall lol  

Agreed.

Just look at the changes in the NA-1 political map over the last few months. DFWA Alliance had control of Ruby completely for a very long time and now Ruby is owned by a few separate Alliances. WMD disbanded, some members stayed, some moved on. DFWA has disbanded and most of the clans involved in DFWA have been picked up by CA and moved from Ruby to Cairn.

Imperil and OTG have remained on Ruby, but how long will there stay last? Surrounded by enemy clans on all sides now, a valiant effort to be sure, but quite possibly an exercise in futility.

Those are just the events taking place in the southeast/southwest regions of the world.

Who knows what will happen over the next year, but I can safely say that this game has provided me with a more engaging experience than any other game that features a territory control system and clan based warfare.

Battles between clans are both extremely entertaining and have created some hardcore rivalries that I haven't seen in any game since way, way back in the day.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

But are they the best Clans really ?  Darkfall is the grindstone for clans. Wannabe big clans were dead in hours in Darkfall lol  

/facepalm

Darth... most everyone else around here I see has moved on from their shameless fanboy hyperbole and spin phase... Do you ever intend to move on and join them?

Seriously... I could understand back when DF was still trying to "prove itself" .... Though still unfounded and overtly defined by an extremely narrow and willfully ignorant point-of-view, at least the generalizations and declarations were understandable. But, seriously... DF doesn't need that kind of over-the-top cheerleading anymore. It's held its own, it's doing okay it seems and even growing. You can lay down the megaphone now.

It reminds me of the dialog between Harvey Keitel and George Clooney in the strip club in 'Dusk 'til Dawn', where George Clooney is pissed off at a bartender.

Harvey Keitel asks him, "Are you such a loser that you can't tell when you've won?". George Clooney responds "What did you say to me?", to which Keitel replies "Nothing. I didn't make a statement.. I asked a question".

Similar thing here. The game's proven itself viable as a niche game despite the rocky launch and all the naysaying. Let it go.

In an empathetic way, it's kinda embarrassing to see you still posting stuff like that after all this time...

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• pepsi1028pepsi1028 Member Posts: 471
    Originally posted by Kost

Darkfall is the grindstone for clans. Wannabe big clans were dead in hours in Darkfall lol  

Agreed.

Just look at the changes in the NA-1 political map over the last few months. DFWA Alliance had control of Ruby completely for a very long time and now Ruby is owned by a few separate Alliances. WMD disbanded, some members stayed, some moved on. DFWA has disbanded and most of the clans involved in DFWA have been picked up by CA and moved from Ruby to Cairn.

Imperil and OTG have remained on Ruby, but how long will there stay last? Surrounded by enemy clans on all sides now, a valiant effort to be sure, but quite possibly an exercise in futility.

Those are just the events taking place in the southeast/southwest regions of the world.

Who knows what will happen over the next year, but I can safely say that this game has provided me with a more engaging experience than any other game that features a territory control system and clan based warfare.

Battles between clans are both extremely entertaining and have created some hardcore rivalries that I haven't seen in any game since way, way back in the day.

My clan alliance owns ruby

†Pepsi1028†

PEPSI!!!!!
    Get out of your box already...

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by WSIMike

/facepalm

Darth... most everyone else around here I see has moved on from their shameless fanboy hyperbole and spin phase... Do you ever intend to move on and join them?

Seriously... I could understand back when DF was still trying to "prove itself" .... Though still unfounded and overtly defined by an extremely narrow and willfully ignorant point-of-view, at least the generalizations and declarations were understandable. But, seriously... DF doesn't need that kind of over-the-top cheerleading anymore. It's held its own, it's doing okay it seems and even growing. You can lay down the megaphone now.
    It reminds me of the dialog between Harvey Keitel and George Clooney in the strip club in 'Dusk 'til Dawn', where George Clooney is pissed off at a bartender.

Harvey Keitel asks him, "Are you such a loser that you can't tell when you've won?". George Clooney responds "What did you say to me?", to which Keitel replies "Nothing. I didn't make a statement.. I asked a question".

Similar thing here. The game's proven itself viable as a niche game despite the rocky launch and all the naysaying. Let it go.
    In an empathetic way, it's kinda embarrassing to see you still posting stuff like that after all this time...

I loved your analogy with "From Dusk Till Dawn", I even appreciated the acknowledgement of the game's success. However I'm afraid that the fat lady is still silent. Darkfall still has ways to go, and is certainly not an enemy of those that do not want to see her misrepresented.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• reggiereggie Member Posts: 138

Getting used to the interface still wasnt as bad as final fantasy online. Now that was horror lol. Still though i played that games for months and had a great time. All i needed to do was getting used to how the interface works, make it go automatic.

The same goes for darkfall. At first you will be like OMG THIS INTERFACE ARGHH ! Sheath, unsheath, aim, click activate etc. It all feels very cumbersome. But you''ll know you'll need to get used to it and automate it.

I agree though, they if it were up to me, could get rid of some steps. Maybe itll be less realistic but itll sure make it less cumbersome. Even though at this time, after 1 month and loving darkfall so far, im used to how it works now i'd still like to see it improved. Its still to many steps for taking an action even though i honestly say all the steps make it realistic and in that regard very efficient in a pvp world. Any ui like any modern mmorpg would make the whole pvp world way less enjoyable and just make it feel like some instanced pvp zone. So maybe the UI feels cumbersome but it sure works for the pvp world darkfall is.

First thing you really need to do is think of a useful way to bind your keys. Default keybindings, for me, didnt work that well.

Soon i bound my weapons, staff -bow-2hander-1hander+shield, to keys for me to easily switch whenever needed. I changed the ui mode key and put block/parry on the 2nd mouse button.  Im stil trying to figure out a good way to bind the rest of my skills. Right now i've bound 3 or 4 bars to a normal alphabetical key and so switch to new bars on the fly after which ill press 1-6 again for the skills. You really need to figure out which sort of keybinding works for you to make the interface way less clumsy.

• nileqnileq Member Posts: 476
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Originally posted by Ravenmane

this game is all about skill not gear

Just to clarify for any new players he means weapon and spell skill levels, not actual player skill. Gear in other games is basically equivalent to the level of your skills and spells in darkfall. There is minimal actual player skill required in this game.

I guess that all depends on the point of the player doesn't it? Probably the guy that sucks at Battlefield would go on the forum and say something similar. Pointing out that it's all about spawn camping and not twitch skills. I get the distinct impression you're going through a similar experience in Darkfall that these guys do in any game that requires twitch skill, especially since everyone is used to being an uber warrior of pwnage in most theme park MMORPGs.

What I'd be interested in is if you also listed your PvP deaths and kills so that we could get a clear picture of exactly how much PvP you've done. Also gear and stats do matter but quite frankly if you have bad twitch skills it wouldn't make any difference except maybe you died a tad slower and took one or two extra hits to kill. You learn to fight in DFO by losing not by reading which two keys to spam on a website and jumping some guy in WoW with 5K hp while you have 100k hp!

QFT!

I have nothing clever to say.

Originally posted by Agricola1

Originally posted by Ravenmane

this game is all about skill not gear

Just to clarify for any new players he means weapon and spell skill levels, not actual player skill. Gear in other games is basically equivalent to the level of your skills and spells in darkfall. There is minimal actual player skill required in this game.

I guess that all depends on the point of the player doesn't it? Probably the guy that sucks at Battlefield would go on the forum and say something similar. Pointing out that it's all about spawn camping and not twitch skills. I get the distinct impression you're going through a similar experience in Darkfall that these guys do in any game that requires twitch skill, especially since everyone is used to being an uber warrior of pwnage in most theme park MMORPGs.

What I'd be interested in is if you also listed your PvP deaths and kills so that we could get a clear picture of exactly how much PvP you've done. Also gear and stats do matter but quite frankly if you have bad twitch skills it wouldn't make any difference except maybe you died a tad slower and took one or two extra hits to kill. You learn to fight in DFO by losing not by reading which two keys to spam on a website and jumping some guy in WoW with 5K hp while you have 100k hp!

I can understand why you feel the need to bring my personal skill level into this. Mentioning that this game doesn't really require skill probably conflicts with what you have been told about this game. If you played darkfall it would be a quick realization that there isn't that much skill required. Of course some people like to think that they have skill and that they are playing a "skilled" game, and feel threatened whenever someone reveals that there isn't much skill required at all.

The thing that YOU and many other miss is this:

In the beginning when you are a new player, PvP in DFO is very basic and does not leave you many options, the twich the strategy and the good times start when you have gotten a ways on you char development.

You want to be handed and uber-mage from the get go, so this game is obviously not for you.

But YOU obviously don't know is what this game requires abit down the road, so quite yer whining because it is painfully obvious that you have not played enough to draw these conclutions.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

One of my friends has played MMORPGs for many years. He recently started playing darkfall. In all the years of his MMORPG playing he NEVER used the mouse to control his character. He turned using A and D keys for all those years and clicked all of his hotkeys. As you might imagine this isnt a scheme that would work with darkfall. I had to tell him that he would need to adopt a brand new control scheme when he started playing. Basically a couple weeks in theres really no difference between fighting him and any other player that I might find besides how hard their spells hit and how much hp they have.  He doesn't have any problem fighting players of similar skill levels. "Twitch" skills in darkfall is basically something people say to feel better about themselves "oh you play WoW lol i play DARKFALL it requires super TWITCH SKILLZ!". It's a myth. It's harder to hit positional styles in DAOC than it is to hit people with melee in darkfall lol.

I highlighted the part that makes your post irrelevent.

A couple of weeks in, you're simply not going to know shit about combat, you're still fiddling with n00b skills and trying to get your keybinds figured out.

When you're getting hit for 90 points in the back consistantly, you'll wish that you had bothered to cultivate those "twich skills" that you pour so much derision on.

It really is an oldschool troll!! tenspotting is that you?!

When 10 ppl tell you that you dont KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT PvP IN DF 2 WEEKS IN why would you not listen? your opionion in this matter is obviously void.

And your point being? That dfo don't take skill? or that it does not take talent?

because I have never argued talent. .only skill, skill kan be learnt, just as you say.

I don't want to be rude to you, but your post does not make any sence.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by nileq

And your point being? That dfo don't take skill? or that it does not take talent?
    because I have never argued talent. .only skill, skill kan be learnt, just as you say.
    I don't want to be rude to you, but your post does not make any sence.

Skill in a video game, any video game is a joke, Bragginng about how much skill you have or how much skill a video game requires is a ludicrous. My post makes perfect sense, as does your inability too keep up. The people who were meant to get it, got it.

I would agree with you if people weren't earning hundreds of thousands of dollars for being better than others (having better skills?) in games like Halo 3 and counter strike and so on. One hundred thousand bucks for being better than the other guy a playing a computer game is no joke when you're depositing the cheque in your bank account.

I don't think anyone is comparing skill or ability in a computer game to that of writing a symphony or painting a master piece or designing a space ship. They're comparing it to other computer games, I hope you get what I'm trying to say.

In my opinion most button mashers require less skill/ability/attention/whatever you want to call it than ones that use FPS twitch based combat. I've played auto target button mashers and since there's no consequence to death in most why would I need to be better than the other guy? Even if I was, an auto target button masher = a glorified version of rock/paper/scissors in my opinion but maybe in yours it's something more?

In any case it's all down to opinions the only trouble I have is that this crit guy seems intent on spamming it over and over trying to derail threads into a ridiculous flame war about skill. I think a lobotomised chimp with one eye and only two fingers could PWN in WoW but I don't go trolling the WoW forums spamming it to derail threads. They're happy playing WoW and I don't play it so why would I give a shit? I wonder why this guy does?

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I'm comparing it to doing a rubik's cube with your feet. Unfavorably. It's a silly comparison because it's a silly discussion.
    Paying people to play a video game is a joke. It's a joke on people who cut the check because they think it makes a difference. Every time one of those is deposited I suspect the recipient is thinking "Got ya again suckah!" There are a lot of jobs like that in the world.
    You're right though if you like the game play it. If not speak your piece and move along. Darkfall is unique and not for everyone. Those are good things. Lets hope it stays that way. I think it will. They could massage the interface  some though. It seems to stutter a bit sometimes. It's not a big deal but it's there.

It's interesting how you draw the line with video games. Would you also say people shouldn't be paid to play Billiards, Darts, or even Curling?

I also find it intriguing that you keep bringing up Rubik's Cube. I worked at a Science Museum in Canada for about 12 years, and every year they would host an international Rubik's Cube competetion. At first these guys and gals we're blowing me away with their insane skills. I couldn't believe how fast they could finish the puzzle. In the end though, and after all those years, it became more of a shock  to see how many people were actually capable of achieving the same level of skill. To be frank, it just became common. Pretty much anyone who spent any significant amount of time with a Rubik's Cube could easily awe a crowd of people that mostly had only fiddled with one as a child.

I know you are impressed by the skill of a Rubik's Cube master, but I am not. I also am not wowed by the skill of the best StarCraft players in the World. Personally it's the intricacies of modern stand up and BJJ in Mixed Martial Arts that gets me. But I'm sure there is someone in the world who'd find incredible joy in informing me that MMA takes very little to no skill.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb