Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My first day in Darkfall!

tyrrintyrrin Member UncommonPosts: 39

Well let me start by saying that the concept behind this game is pretty fantastic; I started my MMO career with U) and I haven't seen better PVP in any game since, so first off I AM NOT A CARE BEAR WOW NERD, lol.

That being said, my first impression of this game is that of HORROR! The Interface is clunky and near impossible to navigate, and the process of switching back and forth from looting to combat to interface operations is ridiculous! The interface is a massacre of the senses... The art style is great, if you look at it through 10 year old goggles, EQ1 anybody? The combat is boring, and navigating the land is no better. I only hope that making it to a huge battle (if this game holds my interest that long) redeems the game in some fashion...

All in all my first impression of this game after playing for several hours is complete and utter disgust... No wonder they charge for a demo! 

Ill update with my day 2 report tomorrow!

Comments

• Wharg0ulWharg0ul Member Posts: 4,183
    Originally posted by tyrrin

Well let me start by saying that the concept behind this game is pretty fantastic; I started my MMO career with U) and I haven't seen better PVP in any game since, so first off I AM NOT A CARE BEAR WOW NERD, lol.

That being said, my first impression of this game is that of HORROR! The Interface is clunky and near impossible to navigate, and the process of switching back and forth from looting to combat to interface operations is ridiculous! The interface is a massacre of the senses... The art style is great, if you look at it through 10 year old goggles, EQ1 anybody? The combat is boring, and navigating the land is no better. I only hope that making it to a huge battle (if this game holds my interest that long) redeems the game in some fashion...
    All in all my first impression of this game after playing for several hours is complete and utter disgust... No wonder they charge for a demo! 

The first time I ever logged into the game, my first impression was "OMG...I just paid for THIS?!!?!!"

A day later, I couldn't stop playing.

The more you play, the better it gets, man. you learn your way around the UI, learn quicker ways of doing things, and start to find some depth in the combat system.

Almost a year later, I can say it's one of the best games I have ever played.

• tyrrintyrrin Member UncommonPosts: 39

I really want to like it, so hopefully I have the same experience that you did. I miss the hard core mmos if UO updated its gameplay and graphics I would still be playing it today! 

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I really want to like it, so hopefully I have the same experience that you did. I miss the hard core mmos if UO updated its gameplay and graphics I would still be playing it today! 

I think there would be enough players around to make UO2 worthwhile for developers... as long as they realise they make it a niche game, UO2  or any other hardcore game will never have the numbers of subs WoW has...  And as soon as investors realise that, they shut down the money...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

It is ONE button to swith from looting to interface mode!

• NicooNicoo Member UncommonPosts: 236

I had the pleasure to buy the game 2 months after the release or something. And well the first day I thought the game was crap I was so out of place and everything was weird. Especially the first like 4 hours everything was boring and fucked up boring.

But after those first 4 hours the UI/Combat/Gathering and everything else I got the hand of it, I knew where to go I knew how to do the most things I needed to do in the beginning. A week after that I had played the game for like 10 hours a day, I joined a clan had alot of fun sieging and farming and grinding and everything I needed to do.

It is without a doubt the best game out there IF YOU HAVE THE TIME TO PLAY THE GAME AND THE COMPUTER TO GO 200-200+ SIEGES. Wich I didnt, therefor I quit the game, didnt see the point to play when I couldnt do the fun part of the game.

But got my computer upgraded and I will probably go back to Darkfall in a few weeks/months when I feel I can play the game without messing with my studies.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

I upgraded my trial after a day of playing.  It brings back memories of UO from the skill system to the loot system and I have yet to PvP I have been taking advantage of the newbie protection and boosting my skills.  A lot of my clan didn't have that wonderful feature when they started and they're still playing.  I learned that even though I enjoy the game it won't be for everybody.  Yes, looting and combat take some getting used to and knowing how to macro a hotbar is a must if you want to save yourself time and headache.  After you gain skill in melee combat as well as some magic (I'm currently equipped and loving my 2h sword and when I'm not bashing things I switch to heal self and eldritch bolt to boost my magic).  I have about 10 hours left on newbie protection and within that time I have acquired enough gear to make dying not as painful if someone loots my corpse.  I have also made my first mount so when I feel the time or when newb protection wears out I can use my battle pig.  After you do some kill and you seem low on health run and sell stuff and put your money and extra stuff in the bank.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

First of all,i have to tell you i am in no way a DF fanbois,but i try to look at what the developer is trying to do.

Remember you the OP and myself and MANY others share the exact same displeasure,but again try to look at what the developer is trying to do.They are trying to start you off as a complete noob,witch is fair because you are suppose to be a noob correct?I mean games like WOW that start you off as an instant killer,walloping through mobs of higher level,is just unrealistic and not right,it is nothing more than feeding children who can't handle a little effort.I am not saying you the op are one of these types of people,i am merely pointing out the difference from a realistic setup and one of cheap/auto win.Blizzard's approach is "we give them auto win" they will keep coming back.

Now the travel i also found very boring and slow,but again be fair,you are SUPPOSE to be a noob,you can't walk/run/swim too good,you are slow.You will eventually get faster,have more stamina and eventually have a mount.Once again you can pull what many games are doing giving auto win,here sign up with us and get a free mount,this is unrealistic and cheap marketing just to get subs.

As far as switching the interface ,it was extremely annoying at first,but didn't take long to get used to it.I would still say after getting used to it ,it is an unnecessary proponent of the game,however it is doable.It is suppose to be realistic remember?How could you possibly loot all that stuff with your hands full?where would you put it all?in a bag of course,they are just trying to keep it realistic.

Graphics?They are no way EQ1 ,they are actually not that bad at all.

Combat boring?again it is not auto kill 10 mobs in 20 seconds,that might be fun for some,but unrealistic,nothing more than ancient penny arcade game play,these guys are trying to keep it real.You have to aim,having to actually aim means challenging,this is not auto win aiming.

The only part that i really did not like was the empty world,the towns need a ton more action and i literally walked for 30 minutes a time seeing absolutely nothing.SO they also need more mobs,more wildlife,outposts and towns with mobs to fight.After i walked around for 30 minutes doing nothing ,i felt like logging out.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RavenmaneRavenmane Member Posts: 246

Hopefully with the $1 trial we should see some more people hop on and bring a little more life in the world.  But you have to remember, it is one character per account so it's not alt heavy like other games.  Most of the action is around the player owned cities.  But agree on the developers trying to add some realism in the game to make it hard.  But look at it this way, the more you use a skill, the more damage/radius it'll be.  For instance I use a 2h sword.  Yes, some stats are ok but this game is all about skill not gear.  You can throw dragon armor and a badass sword and board on a newb and give an experienced player newb gear and the experienced player will win hands down.  But back on what I was saying.  I use a 2h sword.  The goblins around the starter village used to take about 5-6 swings when I first started using it, now it takes 2-3 swings to take em down.  Also the blast radius of your spells grow larger as well as do more damage the more you use that spell.

"If at first you don't succeed, excessive force is probably the answer."
  • CrittRocketsCrittRockets Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Ravenmane

this game is all about skill not gear

Just to clarify for any new players he means weapon and spell skill levels, not actual player skill. Gear in other games is basically equivalent to the level of your skills and spells in darkfall. There is minimal actual player skill required in this game.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by CrittRockets

Just to clarify for any new players he means weapon and spell skill levels, not actual player skill. Gear in other games is basically equivalent to the level of your skills and spells in darkfall. There is minimal actual player skill required in this game.

I guess that all depends on the point of the player doesn't it? Probably the guy that sucks at Battlefield would go on the forum and say something similar. Pointing out that it's all about spawn camping and not twitch skills. I get the distinct impression you're going through a similar experience in Darkfall that these guys do in any game that requires twitch skill, especially since everyone is used to being an uber warrior of pwnage in most theme park MMORPGs.

What I'd be interested in is if you also listed your PvP deaths and kills so that we could get a clear picture of exactly how much PvP you've done. Also gear and stats do matter but quite frankly if you have bad twitch skills it wouldn't make any difference except maybe you died a tad slower and took one or two extra hits to kill. You learn to fight in DFO by losing not by reading which two keys to spam on a website and jumping some guy in WoW with 5K hp while you have 100k hp!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola1

I guess that all depends on the point of the player doesn't it? Probably the guy that sucks at Battlefield would go on the forum and say something similar. Pointing out that it's all about spawn camping and not twitch skills. I get the distinct impression you're going through a similar experience in Darkfall that these guys do in any game that requires twitch skill, especially since everyone is used to being an uber warrior of pwnage in most theme park MMORPGs.

What I'd be interested in is if you also listed your PvP deaths and kills so that we could get a clear picture of exactly how much PvP you've done. Also gear and stats do matter but quite frankly if you have bad twitch skills it wouldn't make any difference except maybe you died a tad slower and took one or two extra hits to kill. You learn to fight in DFO by losing not by reading which two keys to spam on a website and jumping some guy in WoW with 5K hp while you have 100k hp!

I can understand why you feel the need to bring my personal skill level into this. Mentioning that this game doesn't really require skill probably conflicts with what you have been told about this game. If you played darkfall it would be a quick realization that there isn't that much skill required. Of course some people like to think that they have skill and that they are playing a "skilled" game, and feel threatened whenever someone reveals that there isn't much skill required at all.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

I can understand why you feel the need to bring my personal skill level into this. Mentioning that this game doesn't really require skill probably conflicts with what you have been told about this game. If you played darkfall it would be a quick realization that there isn't that much skill required. Of course some people like to think that they have skill and that they are playing a "skilled" game, and feel threatened whenever someone reveals that there isn't much skill required at all.

Darkfall needs that  specific skill that is required to play MMOPRG's, these skill is needed in Darkfall more then in any other MMORPG.

We don't talk about that skill is needed to play chess nor the skill is needed to win street fights in RL and not even the skill is needed to win a map in CS.

Personal skill is needed , i saw people win tournaments in arranged 1 vs 1 duels with stats and skills lower and with city bonus against them. That skill that make those players win was obviously playerskill someone had above someone else. 

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Obviously it's a lost cause to dispute whether a game with no auto targetting and twitch skills requires any skill or not. The kind of hand eye coordination needed in a game like this is indeed a skill. But how would we debate how much real skill is required? Is there a chart we could reference? Seems kind of like an endless argument if you ask me. 

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Darkfall needs that  specific skill that is required to play MMOPRG's, these skill is needed in Darkfall more then in any other MMORPG.

We don't talk about that skill is needed to play chess nor the skill is needed to win street fights in RL and not even the skill is needed to win a map in CS.

Personal skill is needed , i saw people win tournaments in arranged 1 vs 1 duels with stats and skills lower and with city bonus against them. That skill that make those players win was obviously playerskill someone had above someone else. 

It doesn't require anything more than any other MMORPG.

If you want to actually be GOOD at the game, yes, it DOES take player skill, and a lot of it.

Twich skills aside (aiming, keeping track of your target), the ability to stay behind your enemy as much as possible cmes into play, as well as being able to properly heal and perform transfers in combat. Knowing which weapons to use against what enemy is important, as well as recognising things such as spell reflect, ah the like.

Without player skill, you will die, regardless of what your toon's skills are, or what armor you have on. This is why my clan duels and practices constantly, helping each other recognise our weaknesses and overcome them.

Originally posted by Wharg0ul

If you want to actually be GOOD at the game, yes, it DOES take player skill, and a lot of it.
    Twich skills aside (aiming, keeping track of your target), the ability to stay behind your enemy as much as possible cmes into play, as well as being able to properly heal and perform transfers in combat. Knowing which weapons to use against what enemy is important, as well as recognising things such as spell reflect, ah the like.
    Without player skill, you will die, regardless of what your toon's skills are, or what armor you have on. This is why my clan duels and practices constantly, helping each other recognise our weaknesses and overcome them.

One of my friends has played MMORPGs for many years. He recently started playing darkfall. In all the years of his MMORPG playing he NEVER used the mouse to control his character. He turned using A and D keys for all those years and clicked all of his hotkeys. As you might imagine this isnt a scheme that would work with darkfall. I had to tell him that he would need to adopt a brand new control scheme when he started playing. Basically a couple weeks in theres really no difference between fighting him and any other player that I might find besides how hard their spells hit and how much hp they have.  He doesn't have any problem fighting players of similar skill levels. "Twitch" skills in darkfall is basically something people say to feel better about themselves "oh you play WoW lol i play DARKFALL it requires super TWITCH SKILLZ!". It's a myth. It's harder to hit positional styles in DAOC than it is to hit people with melee in darkfall lol.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

One of my friends has played MMORPGs for many years. He recently started playing darkfall. In all the years of his MMORPG playing he NEVER used the mouse to control his character. He turned using A and D keys for all those years and clicked all of his hotkeys. As you might imagine this isnt a scheme that would work with darkfall. I had to tell him that he would need to adopt a brand new control scheme when he started playing. Basically a couple weeks in theres really no difference between fighting him and any other player that I might find besides how hard their spells hit and how much hp they have.  He doesn't have any problem fighting players of similar skill levels. "Twitch" skills in darkfall is basically something people say to feel better about themselves "oh you play WoW lol i play DARKFALL it requires super TWITCH SKILLZ!". It's a myth. It's harder to hit positional styles in DAOC than it is to hit people with melee in darkfall lol.

So you and your friend must be really good PvPers in DFO right?

Got any tips for us noobs?

/sarcasm off

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

So you and your friend must be really good PvPers in DFO right?

Got any tips for us noobs?

/sarcasm off

Basically as long as you're not vision impaired or mentally challenged in some way you will perform just fine in this game just as with any other mmorpg.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

No computer game takes skill!

You play those because you lack real skills!

/sarcasm

Sometime i miss those old school style trolls. "DF is vaporware, multipersonal naval combat is impossible" kinda things.

I highlighted the part that makes your post irrelevent.

A couple of weeks in, you're simply not going to know shit about combat, you're still fiddling with n00b skills and trying to get your keybinds figured out.

When you're getting hit for 90 points in the back consistantly, you'll wish that you had bothered to cultivate those "twich skills" that you pour so much derision on.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I respect your opinion, but...........

The graphics at higher resolution are second only to AoC in quality and first in the art style department.

If you are playing with an older computer DF will look horrible (like in every Youtube video since those are recorded with the lowest setting during the sieges for lag reason)

If you have a modern computer and you claim it looks awful, you are lying (I can understand you don't like the style, but the graphics are very good).

The GUI is designed like this for a reason, you need lot of coordination in order to get the right weapon or spell at the right time.

If you are a bit clumsy or not particularly keen on FPS style, then you will suck at PvP.

In DF 50% is character skills, and the other 50% is player skill, and the challenging (or annoying) GUI guarantee that in order to fullfill the 50% player skill you need to be good with the GUI.

If you can't understand this, it is better you move on something else straight away, without wasting more time on DF.

I doubt you played UO at all.

This game isn't UO of course but if you liked that game you should like this one too.

The GUI is a poor excuse not to like this game if you are a fan of sandboxes.

DF feels like a real world unlike many other MMORPGs this days, and this is what a MMORPG should feel like.................alive.

Even if you don't meet anyone for half an hour.

Lastly DF is far from a demo it is one of the best game I played since UO, if you want to see what a demo is, head over to Mortal Online.

I highlighted the part that makes your post irrelevent.

A couple of weeks in, you're simply not going to know shit about combat, you're still fiddling with n00b skills and trying to get your keybinds figured out.

When you're getting hit for 90 points in the back consistantly, you'll wish that you had bothered to cultivate those "twich skills" that you pour so much derision on.

Yes it really doesn't take long to learn the game. It's quite simple as long as you can get over the terrible UI.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Yes it really doesn't take long to learn the game. It's quite simple as long as you can get over the terrible UI.

For a game you clearly can't stand, I gotta give ya credit for hangin' in there. To be frank, I would have been long gone.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

For a game you clearly can't stand, I gotta give ya credit for hangin' in there. To be frank, I would have been long gone.

I'm not sure what you mean, but I enjoyed this game from day 1 . I can see why so many people hate it though its really got nothing going for it besides full loot and open world pvp. Not a very marketable array of attributes.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Originally posted by Cecropia

I'm not sure what you mean, but I enjoyed this game from day 1 . I can see why so many people hate it though its really got nothing going for it besides full loot and open world pvp. Not a very marketable array of attributes.

It is the number one game for Clans content right now, nowhere else does clan organisation, clan coop in such a large scale matter more then in Darkfall. Clans are the true actors in Darkfall.  You thinking is such small units like a single game experience from a single individual..

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)