Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A true sinicist and I really like Eve

Rover64ddRover64dd Member Posts: 144

I watched my little brother play the trial years ago and thought my god that is one bad game. He rode around in his miner and tried to get people to help and guard for a fee but never could and would just get attacked and have to leave the mining area after a few minutes. He didnt do any quests, he had no intention of ever upgrading, he never did anything with his hundreds of millions of dollars, he never did anything unique, and it gave me a bad impression of the game. I started playing it and yea its complicated but man it is pretty cool. Graphics have been updated, gameplay is unique, it really isnt very complicated if you follow the tutorial and learn a bit and it has a bunch of different quest paths you can take. Theres all sorts of stuff to do. It isnt terribly hard but does take a large amount of time. I think a lot of my like for this game comes from my boating enthusiasm but I dont think you really need all that. I dunno...I liked it. The only thing I dont like is losing your ship. Granted im only a few days in but if you get a very expensive larger ship and lose it doesnt that set you back a lot? I mean one meaningless pvp battle can set you back how much...2...3 whole days played time? Maybe someone can tell me how that works.

Never take life too seriously youre never gonna make it out alive.

Comments

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

The PvP is meaningful, this is a good thing. It brings adrenaline to the fight and it feels much better to kill an opponent. I can tell you this from experience, as I am now rich enough where losing ships doesn't even dent my wallet, and guess what, PvP is boring now and I don't do it!

A general rule to follow is never fly anything you can't afford to lose. With mineral prices the way they are now, a fully insured battleship with T1 mods will only set you back 5-10m for a loss. That's a death penalty just as small as WoW imo.

have fun o/

• Rover64ddRover64dd Member Posts: 144
    Originally posted by mechtech256

The PvP is meaningful, this is a good thing. It brings adrenaline to the fight and it feels much better to kill an opponent. I can tell you this from experience, as I am now rich enough where losing ships doesn't even dent my wallet, and guess what, PvP is boring now and I don't do it!

A general rule to follow is never fly anything you can't afford to lose. With mineral prices the way they are now, a fully insured battleship with T1 mods will only set you back 5-10m for a loss. That's a death penalty just as small as WoW imo.

have fun o/

How much played time does it take to advance that far. It doesnt seem like it takes long to get higher end ships, just a few upgrades and some money.

Never take life too seriously youre never gonna make it out alive.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Rover64dd

Originally posted by mechtech256

have fun o/

How much played time does it take to advance that far. It doesnt seem like it takes long to get higher end ships, just a few upgrades and some money.

EVE has allot of PVP, so the fact is you can lose your shirt and it does hurt. This shouldn't lead one to think it's always combat ships squaring off and loser losing a fortune, because those types of loses you can control. This is why they say never fly a ship you can't afford to lose. Basically, if your in a combat situation fly below your means, and only fly T1 frigs and cruisers until your sure you know what your doing.

But your not always in a combat situation and then you want the best ship you can fly because it will increase whatever it is your doing. This is when you’re really at risk of being hurt. Any time you set out on a venture to make money you’re at risk. Many times you make the mistake, and have no one to blame but your self, and other times you just get out played. Either way someone else ends up with your hard work.

Being able to afford T1 frigs and cruiser for PVP takes no time at all. The other stuff is always at risk TBH.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by Rover64dd

The only thing I dont like is losing your ship. Granted im only a few days in but if you get a very expensive larger ship and lose it doesnt that set you back a lot? I mean one meaningless pvp battle can set you back how much...2...3 whole days played time? Maybe someone can tell me how that works.

A Titan will set you back upwards of 60 billion ISK, and plenty of those have been killed. Motherships are in the 15 bill range and even more of those have died. They're both a hell of a lot more than 2-3 days work, but people fly them anyway.

"Dont fly what you can't afford to lose" isn't just a cliche: it's good advice. Now I'm not particularly good at making ISK, but I habitually fly T2 ships that cost in the region of 50-170M ISK. Losing a fitted, rigged sniper HAC will basically cost me a full evening of ISK whoring. They key here is that I have become fairly good at not losing them, so I can spread the cost of replacement over multiple days of minor effort. And there is a fair amount to know about not losing your ship, but once you get good at it, you can rely on not losing them unless you deliberately take them in to a fight. After that it's a matter of finding a corp with good FC (fleet commanders) who know what they're doing, and your PvP losses will steeply decline also. Here are my PvP stats for the last year or so. As you can see, my losses have been very sustainable despite the fact I am average at best in PvP, and that is almost wholly due to the fact our alliance is very well supplied with FCs ranging from good to superb.

Really good FCs are not common in EVE, but they're probably the single most important factor in PvP success over the long term. They're also one of those roles in which skillpoints are completely irrelevant.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

PVP can be alot of fun but dont fly anything you cant afford to lose or are too fond of to lose. Either buy or make some frigates for pvp to get you started as it doesnt bite you on the wallet as bad. train up some good combat skill associated with the ship to maximize your effectiveness.

For instnce: amarr ship you'll want to train energy weapons, engineering skills, and armor compensation and repair.

Get some advice from people in game as most are helpful and have various insites into the good and bad of things.

(BBBBBBBBBBBBWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH raises plunger in salute to hot Khanid Chicks!)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

PS the word the OP is looking for is "cynic".

Give me liberty or give me lasers