Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why PC will ultimately crush consoles

Comments

• AzzthurasAzzthuras Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

LOl ... i think you need a doze of reality. Console has ALREADY crushed PC in terms of the gaming market.
    http://www.pcvsconsole.com/news.php?nid=3403

PC gaming software market in 2009: $538M
    Console + handheld software market in 2009: $10.5B .. that is 20x bigger.

I played games both on PCs & xbox 360. Aside from MMORPGs, I prefer to play SP games on my 360 just because it is much more comfortable (couch versus desk) and much easier (no installation, no set up, no checking if my hardware is good enough ... just pop a disk in and play).
    Graphics are comparable. Everything works and none of these video card not compatible shit.
    I highly doubt pc gaming is going to "crush" consoles any time soon.

I think you need a dose of reality moron. One company for instance makes 1 1/2/5th of that amount of money you put there. Blizzard Entertainment. 15$ a month x the number of subs, Ill put 9 mil, equals 135,000,000. And thats not other profits they make off of authenticators, plushys, the works. Then you have the FPS community, which combined sold millions of copys of Modern Warfare 2 this last year. So thats about 1 billion there. So if you honestly think that PC games are that shitty on sales, your not looking at the whole picture. The MMORPG community sells more for PC than what you put as a base.

Honestly, how the fuck can you use this site with out knowing the bases on MMORPGs. Fucking moron.

• AzzthurasAzzthuras Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Astroella

LOl ... i think you need a doze of reality. Console has ALREADY crushed PC in terms of the gaming market.

I played games both on PCs & xbox 360. Aside from MMORPGs, I prefer to play SP games on my 360 just because it is much more comfortable (couch versus desk) and much easier (no installation, no set up, no checking if my hardware is good enough ... just pop a disk in and play).
    Graphics are comparable. Everything works and none of these video card not compatible shit.

I'm not sure where these stats come from but WoW makes more than 538m a year by itself.....

Lol thats what I said.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Azzthuras

Originally posted by Astroella

I'm not sure where these stats come from but WoW makes more than 538m a year by itself.....

Lol thats what I said.

It might have to do with all the gaming industry types coming out against the PC because they say high end users are a small minority killing the market.

Every year more and more games are only being released for the consoles, and companies are moving more and more away from PC development. Even the new unreal engine will not be available for PC, at all. That's really shocking if you think about it. (Yes that means every game built on it will only be for consoles)

Of course MMO's are an exception to some degree because of the PC's networking and processing power, but the truth is few MMo's today really take advantage of this. EVE, WOW, Darkfall and a few others, but most don't.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051
    Originally posted by maji

Yep, consoles are very popular. Still, it seems to some degree to depend on how much people know about computers. If you have some knowledge about computers, why get a console? You know how to fix any possible problems, you have a larger selection of games from, and you have more possibilities, like modding and stuff. If new generations of games are released, you can piece by piece upgrade your computer, or simply play the newer games on a lower detail level. If I'd have a console, there is no choice of playing next generation games. I'm simply forced to buy a new console.
    Console sacrifice possibilities for user-friendlyness. It's like the question what wife you want: a dumb girl who does everything for you without complaining, but who is else in all her ways very limited. Or maybe the woman who sometimes talks back and has an opinion on her own, with whom life sometimes might be a bit more difficult, but more rewarding as well.

Bayonetta

God of War 3

Demon's Souls

Dante's Inferno

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 1 and 2

Gears of War 2

Folklore

Soul Calibur

Star Ocean

Alan Wake

Heavy Rain

Siren BloodCurse

Infamous

Little Big Planet

etc

This is why someone with knowledge about computers would also by a console.

Trust-me the list of games that you will never see on PC is huge, especially if you enjoy games like God of War and Bayonetta, J-Rpgs, Racing games, unique tiles like Folklore, Fighting games etc.

• SvuuppSvuupp Member Posts: 4

0.o

you hate the internet in you PS3.... have you heard of unplugging? since you like computer this much you should know how to do so.

strengts of a PS: very powerful compared to prices of a nice computer. those joysticks, i find them comfortable when you sit/lay in bed.

the shame of a PS3 is the online play. you can't comminicate with other people in a nice way, which kind of ruin the online part of the console (depends on game)

game prices is just a matter how new the game is, i've seen games for under 20$, which i personally find an indeed nice price.

computer games gives more fun than playstation games? 0.o does that even make sense?

computer wont crush consoles in the nearby future. some consoles will be crushed. though i belive that xbox and playstation will stay on the market for AGES! indeed with incomming 3D graphics then it will probabebly be WAY better having a little distance to your screen.

And again, xbox and playstation don't turn into computers as long as their custommers don't want it. they listen to the people who says shit.

i'm glad i can watch movies on my PS... theres a limited amount of sticks which can be plugged in my tv.

• FreaKen23FreaKen23 Member Posts: 5

While i disagree that PCs will necessarily crush consoles (it all depends on whether game developers decide to continue releasing PC versions of games considering all the rampant software piracy, different hardware configurations, etc.), but I think you may have a point. For me, it all comes down to whether consumers will consider justifying the purchase of a console based on the release of a game proprietary to that console. With a PC, that choice does not need to be made; the functionality of a PC outside of gaming is obvious. The prevalence of PC gaming is due in part to the prevalence of PCs as computers in other areas besides gaming. Unless consoles can become better at something other than games, it depends whether people are willing to pay for a gaming system.

Also, i can't upgrade a PS3 as easily as I can my PC; but I'm a technie nerd. for people less tehnically inclined, the advantage of an all-in-one system that requires no hardware upgrades or special configurations is advantageous; it's a cost<->efficiency ratio. Consoles are a lot less hassle, but a lot more expensive when it comes to having to buy a new one every 2 years or so. I can see that there are many variables in this problem. It's still kind of a tossup though, IMO.

that's just how I am!

Originally posted by FreaKen23

The prevalence of PC gaming is due in part to the prevalence of PCs as computers in other areas besides gaming. Unless consoles can become better at something other than games, it depends whether people are willing to pay for a gaming system.
    Consoles are a lot less hassle, but a lot more expensive when it comes to having to buy a new one every 2 years or so.

Freaken23 I am under the impression you are not familiar with console gaming.

There is no PC gaming prevalence against Console gaming, on the contrary. Today even games that would represent "PC gaming" in the past are more popular on Consoles (games from Infinity Ward, Epic etc).

Yes, today everyone has a PC, but we all know there is a huge difference between an ordinary PC and a gaming PC. Consoles are more acessible and in some sense a "better" entertainment system than a PC for a lot of people.

Outside World of Warcraft and Sims the dominance of PS3 and XBOX360 against PC gaming is a reality. Multiplataform titles sell much, much more on Consoles than on PC and outside MMOs the dominance of exclusive titles on Consoles is huge.

A "gaming" PC is the most expensive gaming plataform and there is no doubt about it. No one need to buy a new Console every 2 years, the life spam of a Console is usually 5-6+ years and even when a "new" xbox or playstation is released they are more cheap than a top-high end card from ATI or NVIDIA. You will need to buy a new card every 2 year (sometimes 1 year) if you want to keep playing PC games maximized and with full compatibility...Consoles doesn't have this issue.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Originally posted by Umbral

Originally posted by FreaKen23

The prevalence of PC gaming is due in part to the prevalence of PCs as computers in other areas besides gaming. Unless consoles can become better at something other than games, it depends whether people are willing to pay for a gaming system.
    Consoles are a lot less hassle, but a lot more expensive when it comes to having to buy a new one every 2 years or so.

There is no PC gaming prevalence against Console gaming, on the contrary. Today even games that would represent "PC gaming" in the past are more popular on Consoles (games from Infinity Ward, Epic etc).
    Yes, today everyone has a PC, but we all know there is a huge difference between an ordinary PC and a gaming PC. Consoles are more acessible and in some sense a "better" entertainment system than a PC for a lot of people.
    Outside World of Warcraft and Sims the dominance of PS3 and XBOX360 against PC gaming is a reality. Multiplataform titles sell much, much more on Consoles than on PC and outside MMOs the dominance of exclusive titles on Consoles is huge.
    A "gaming" PC is the most expensive gaming plataform and there is no doubt about it. No one need to buy a new Console every 2 years, the life spam of a Console is usually 5-6+ years and even when a "new" xbox or playstation is released they are more cheap than a top-high end card from ATI or NVIDIA. You will need to buy a new card every 2 year (sometimes 1 year) if you want to keep playing PC games maximized and with full compatibility...Consoles doesn't have this issue.

Talk about hogwash.

"A "gaming" PC is the most expensive gaming plataform and there is no doubt about it. "
    A $600 PC will play anything a PS3 will ever handle.

"You will need to buy a new card every 2 year (sometimes 1 year) if you want to keep playing PC games maximized and with full compatibility...Consoles doesn't have this issue." I buy video cards for around $100-200 every 2-4 years. In other words about $50 a year, my old video cards are reused. "full compatibility" what does this mean? Regardless, i can tell you dynasty warriors lags my ps2 out son. So i thinks i just proved you wrong, Not only that PC games look much better , don't believe me? TRy playing ff12 on your ps2-3 looks ok at best, with an EMULATOR (ie not as good as a port) i have 1050i, YES for real. (With a game that has no high res option, why becuase ps2 can't handle it).

So yes consoles force you to play the game how they want you to, id rather have the options for rez and texture quality however.

Consoles sell well for three reasons; one controllers with cords, two small little boxes that don't get in the way, and three cuz i had to buy one to pay this game and now i might as well play all my games on them. (Sony and Microsoft are smarter than the average consumer and understand by limiting availability of games to their respective platforms they increase the sales of their platforms).

Edit- as i read though this thread i see that a good argument to why the console is better than the PC is becuase they purposefully selectively release game for specific systems.
    The only problem is this is a very sad argument , it basically like saying they own me and my money becuase if i wanna play i go to pay for not only the game but all the special hardware, that is not required as most PC will run the game, but is required becuase they want to make a lot of money and , me being dumb fail to realize this and thus use this as a argument supporting consoles. Plz just stop buying them and their games and force these companies to treat us better.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine

• MeniasMenias Member UncommonPosts: 38
    Originally posted by Elikal

The best thing about forming an opinion with no basis in reality isn't ignoring all the data and facts, it's showing everyone online that I did.
    /

Those who know what I am talking about know the irony.

BundyTheRipper

• NamicoNamico Member Posts: 40

PC starts to get old school, we need something new!

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301

When the radio started playing, people said it was going to wipe the paper news, when TV came out, people said the radio was going down the toilet, when the internet came up, people said TV was going to disapear. And everything is running right now, so no, pc will not wipe consoles, consoles is not going to crush the pc, they are going to coexist, becouse each human being like diferent things, each one of us have diferent tastes. Chocolate pies are not going to wipe strawberry pies there is always going to be consoles and pc, just becouse we like consoles and pc.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by Jetrpg

Talk about hogwash.
    "A "gaming" PC is the most expensive gaming plataform and there is no doubt about it. "

"You will need to buy a new card every 2 year (sometimes 1 year) if you want to keep playing PC games maximized and with full compatibility...Consoles doesn't have this issue." I buy video cards for around $100-200 every 2-4 years. In other words about $50 a year, my old video cards are reused. "full compatibility" what does this mean? Regardless, i can tell you dynasty warriors lags my ps2 out son. So i thinks i just proved you wrong, Not only that PC games look much better , don't believe me? TRy playing ff12 on your ps2-3 looks ok at best, with an EMULATOR (ie not as good as a port) i have 1050i, YES for real. (With a game that has no high res option, why becuase ps2 can't handle it).
    So yes consoles force you to play the game how they want you to, id rather have the options for rez and texture quality however.
    Consoles sell well for three reasons; one controllers with cords, two small little boxes that don't get in the way, and three cuz i had to buy one to pay this game and now i might as well play all my games on them. (Sony and Microsoft are smarter than the average consumer and understand by limiting availability of games to their respective platforms they increase the sales of their platforms).
    Edit- as i read though this thread i see that a good argument to why the console is better than the PC is becuase they purposefully selectively release game for specific systems.

The only problem is this is a very sad argument , it basically like saying they own me and my money becuase if i wanna play i go to pay for not only the game but all the special hardware, that is not required as most PC will run the game, but is required becuase they want to make a lot of money and , me being dumb fail to realize this and thus use this as a argument supporting consoles. Plz just stop buying them and their games and force these companies to treat us better.

I'm a devote PC'er. Don't own a console and don't want one : p

But the facts are the facts no matter how much I dislike them. The rise of the consoles really started in the early 90's when software developers stopped several high profile PC games that were in the works, and started moving recourses into console game development.

Today there are really only two reasons for their growing dominance that I can see. The vast majority of consumers have no desire to build their own computer, and this is exactly what the industry wants.

And I’m sorry but your views on cost are just way off. There are so many holes there I can’t really do a counter much justice. You just have allot of bad assumptions. First, most people with computers bought them pre-built and that just skews your whole argument. Of those that didn’t, most are enthusiasts and simply replacing a cheap video card with another cheap video card is not going to happen. Not to mention, the few people that take this approach will be in a constant state of needing to upgrade.

The real issue with computers is compatibility, and this goes far beyond gaming. Every year companies come out with new this or new that, and the likelihood that changing one piece will lead to major changes in a system is enormous. There really is allot to consider when trying to keep a system relatively current, even when building on a budget.

People build systems because it’s a great hobby and they love the multiple challenges that are involved. They do not do it, however, because it is cheap. Realistically, 300 to 350 dollars a year is probably an average amount spent, with less some years and more others.

Either way, keeping a modern computer up to date cost allot more than a console, and there really isn’t any question about that.

Talk about hogwash.

What do you mean by a "PC that will play anything a PS3 will ever handle"?

Most popular games you play on PC you can play on a PS3, but there are a lot of PS3 games that the PC will never handle, not because of hardware limitations, but because most of the real sofisticated and "big" PS3 games will never be on PC.

In the end the comparision you made has only one purpose, so people who only has a PC can feel better. Buy a $600 PC today and you will need to upgrade it in less than 2 years if you want to play every game maximized and with full direct x compatibility.

A low end PC was not able to run GTAIV well, and it was possible to play it flawless on a PS3.

PS3 $ 370,00

XBOX 360 elite $299,00

And then you come here trying to counter my arguments and say that your $600,00 PC can run "every game"...  well, so I am right, a gaming PC (even a low end one that will need upgrade soon like yours) IS the most expensive gaming system!

You can almost buy a PS3 and a 360 with the price of one middle/low end PC.

Ah ok, now you are comparing your new PC with a PS2... I see...

Forget the PS2 (a 10 years old console) and get God of War 3 for the PS3 and compare with what you can play on a $300,00 PC.. (not your $600,00 system)

You know what I mean with full compatibility (direct x) and with full maximized graphics.

You think you just proved me wrong? Not exactly, you just proved you have no idea how Console gaming is today...

Emulators are nice, but never a good excuse to not buy a console... "Hey Lets wait 10 years and play it on a PC emulator forget about Consoles..."

Try to play Bayonetta, God of War 3, Heavy Rain on your low end PC that costs 2x more than a PC...or wait 10 years for an emulator to "proove me wrong".

Try to play GTAIV with good performance with a low end graphic card.

Are you serious?

Well, this is why you see more games on Consoles.

This is why a Console is a much more fair gaming system.

This is why you see exclusive Console games that need less graphical power but look better.

This is why you know you can play every compatible game flawless on a Console and not on a PC.

hmm, well, no cords these days...

So, when a game is a PC exclusive, what argument you use? Should we blame ATI or NVIDIA?

You do know that it is easy and sometimes more profitable to build a good and impressive game for just one plataform right?

The only two things I see in your arguments are the total lack of information about Console gaming and a bit of illusory PC elitism.

Most non gaming PCs will NEVER run a modern game well, the argument you used against Consoles you can use against gaming PC  market (and it is a pretty weak one).

Everyone has a PC is not equal to everyone has a PC able to run modern games with satisfatory performance.

PC is also a good gaming system, everyone here plays MMORPGs, so we all agree that a gaming PC is needed if you like this genre. But your arguments are nothing more than opinionated illusions.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

#1. What piece of equipment are you using to post on this forum?

#2. In the history of gaming, has the PC changed? Or the console? Think of the evolutionary steps the console has gone through. Right now the console is a mini-PC, its next step is a PC.

Originally posted by qazyman

I'm a devote PC'er. Don't own a console and don't want one : p

But the facts are the facts no matter how much I dislike them. The rise of the consoles really started in the early 90's when software developers stopped several high profile PC games that were in the works, and started moving recourses into console game development.
    Today there are really only two reasons for their growing dominance that I can see. The vast majority of consumers have no desire to build their own computer, and this is exactly what the industry wants.
    And I’m sorry but your views on cost are just way off. There are so many holes there I can’t really do a counter much justice. You just have allot of bad assumptions. First, most people with computers bought them pre-built and that just skews your whole argument. Of those that didn’t, most are enthusiasts and simply replacing a cheap video card with another cheap video card is not going to happen. Not to mention, the few people that take this approach will be in a constant state of needing to upgrade.
    The real issue with computers is compatibility, and this goes far beyond gaming. Every year companies come out with new this or new that, and the likelihood that changing one piece will lead to major changes in a system is enormous. There really is allot to consider when trying to keep a system relatively current, even when building on a budget.
    People build systems because it’s a great hobby and they love the multiple challenges that are involved. They do not do it, however, because it is cheap. Realistically, 300 to 350 dollars a year is probably an average amount spent, with less some years and more others.
    Either way, keeping a modern computer up to date cost allot more than a console, and there really isn’t any question about that.

I agree with all your points.

In my opinion the enthusiastic PC market has a serious flaw. It is not about the games it is about the hardware.

Consumers are using their money to buy new graphic cards, not games. So you see a huge popularity related to NVIDIA and ATI cards, but in the end most people with get your games using torrents.

So it is really an unworth market  for prople who produce games and not hardware.

The games that are available for PC and Console sell more than 5+x more on each Console and the amount of exclusives on PC comparing with 10 years ago or Console exclusives is insignificant but even so every 3 months there is a new piece of hardware for gaming PC...

What make a gaming system is not the technology available for it, but the games you can play on it.

At least the MMORPG market still going strong on PC, but even that may change soon.

Originally posted by Gkarn

#2. In the history of gaming, has the PC changed? Or the console? Think of the evolutionary steps the console has gone through. Right now the console is a mini-PC, its next step is a PC.

Both changed.

Compare a Mega Drive with a PS3

Compare an AMIGA with a modern PC gaming.

The way the 360 controller became the PC standart gaming controller today shows that you see PC influence on consoles just like you see console influences on PC.

Today you see a lot of typical PC games on consoles, but you also see a lot of "console like" games on PC, the only difference is that both kind of games are a success on consoles...and almost a failure on PCs because most people don't buy PC games anymore as they used to...it is easier to just download games with torrents.

• SarykSaryk Member UncommonPosts: 476

Both changed.

The way the 360 controller became the PC standart gaming controller today shows that you see PC influence on consoles just like you see console influences on PC.

Today you see a lot of typical PC games on consoles, but you also see a lot of "console like" games on PC, the only difference is that both kind of games are a success on consoles...and almost a failure on PCs because most people don't buy PC games anymore as they used to...it is easier to just download games with torrents.

The 360 controller is not the standard PC controller; the mouse and keyboard are the standards in controls for pc games.

The comparison you provide either way you look at it, the console is becoming a PC.

Hard drives, DVD players, ram, video cards, etc.

And the pirate thing is getting lame also. The pirate movement in the PC arena is dying, because of Digital distribution. However the pirating on consoles is only heating up. MW2 was pirated first by an Xboxer. All systems, except the PS3 have been hit hard, but with the release of the PS3 code crack, their time is due.

http://symonator.com/1/2010/01/piracy-claims-on-ps3/

PC Games sales now 80% digital. The Digital Trend is taking over. PC Games revenues are up 3% in 2009. Meanwhile PC retail is getting hit hard.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pc-games-revenues-up-3-percent-in-2009

PC gaming, according to many has been dwindling since consoles started taking over. Take over? What take over? Not when 260 million PCs were shipped in 2007, and only the American market counted as viable by the US press. Valve speaks out.

http://www.overclock.net/video-game-news/686746-gt-valve-dont-believe-press-pc.html

Both changed.

The 360 controller is not the standard PC controller; the mouse and keyboard are the standards in controls for pc games.

Of course mouse and keyboard is the standard, you understood what I meant and I am sure of it.By controller I meant "Joystick".

Games that play better on joystick/controller than mouse and keyboard are standard set up for the 360 controller now.

Examples

Devil May Cry 4

Street Fighter IV

Last Remnant

Batman

Beside the obvious mouse and keyboard (that doen't work well with these games) the standard setup Controller/Joystick for these games on PC is the 360 controller setup now.

The comparison you provide either way you look at it, the console is becoming a PC.

Hard drives, DVD players, ram, video cards, etc.

Consoles always had GPUs.

CD, DVD, Blueray or any kind of disc reader became part of consoles years and years ago...

Hdds are there on the PS2 and first XBOX, just like they are there there on any kind of entertainment center.

There is and there always will be similarities between Consoles and PCs, but the concept is not the same.

The fact we see a lot of FPS on consoles these days is a better display of PC gaming on consoles.

And the pirate thing is getting lame also. The pirate movement in the PC arena is dying, because of Digital distribution. However the pirating on consoles is only heating up. MW2 was pirated first by an Xboxer. All systems, except the PS3 have been hit hard, but with the release of the PS3 code crack, their time is due.

http://symonator.com/1/2010/01/piracy-claims-on-ps3/

PC Games sales now 80% digital. The Digital Trend is taking over. PC Games revenues are up 3% in 2009. Meanwhile PC retail is getting hit hard.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/pc-games-revenues-up-3-percent-in-2009

PC gaming, according to many has been dwindling since consoles started taking over. Take over? What take over? Not when 260 million PCs were shipped in 2007, and only the American market counted as viable by the US press. Valve speaks out.

http://www.overclock.net/video-game-news/686746-gt-valve-dont-believe-press-pc.html

You are getting a couple of tendencious information and using it to belive in what you want to belive.

Forget this "piracy claims on PS3" thing, everyone that has a PS3 know that there IS NO piracy on PS3 period.

After years and years the PS3 is the only gaming system without piracy, it doesn't matter if some hacker tells you that he can break the PS3 protection, the reality is, there is NO piracy on the PS3.Piracy was huge on the PS2

Steam has good sales especially with so many good promotions, this doesn't change the fact that piracy on consoles is nowhere near piracy on PC.

Check these numbers about the number of torrent download used for Modern Warfare on the PC and XBOX 360.

Just remember, there is no number for the PS3, there is no piracy on the PS3, anyone that has the console can tell you that.

PC number of downloads (piracy) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (4,100,000) (Nov. 2009)

360 number of downloads (piracy) Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (970,000) (Nov. 2009)

http://torrentfreak.com/the-most-pirated-games-of-2009-091227/

It is a well known fact that Modern Warfare 2 sells more on 360 and PS3 than on PCs, the same happened with CoD4, both typically PC games that are doing great on Consoles but not that great on PC despise the huge piracy numbers on this plataform.

Unfortunatelly you are wrong, piracy on PC is not dying and it is a bigger issue than piracy on consoles.

• Loveless12Loveless12 Member UncommonPosts: 37

You can already use the 360 controller for all Games on the pc if you no what your doing.

Also,you can play 360 games on the PC and PS3 games,using an emulator On the PC,if you no where to look (as both are private and not Public,yet).

A gaming PC dosnt need to upgraded at all,it will still play most games for the next 2 years whereas as soon as Crysis 2 +3 comes out the Ps3 will have to become the PS4 and the xbox becomes the xbox720.

However,i own a 360 and a PC,and i could NEVER play an FPS on the 360. Mouse and keyboard pwns the Joystick/Analog Any day of the week because I can turn around with one flick of the mouse.

Also,Quake on the PC still beats Modern warfare 2  on any console,so nuff said,

i do enjoy playing my 360 however :o

and to the guy that said there's no Piracy on the PS3? the code was cracked,and the emulator is up,wait till it hits the public sector.

Originally posted by Loveless12
    Also,you can play 360 games on the PC and PS3 games,using an emulator On the PC,if you no where to look (as both are private and not Public,yet).

No, you can't

It is not possible to emulate a PS3/360 game even in the most powerful home gaming PC.

It will take a long time till you can emulate Uncharted 2 on a gaming PC.

The existence of a project of an emulator is not the same as a functional emulator with playable games. The PS2 emulator started to really work only recently and even now it has low compatibility but it is known for years.

You can play the multiplataform titles on PC for sure, but forget great and exclusive games like God of War 3, Bayonetta, Demon's Souls...

• SelenicaSelenica Member Posts: 183

I still prefer consoles as a more structured, simplistic way to enjoy video games. I also like not having to deal with having to upgrade/buy a new operating system, driver issues, tweaking graphic settings, installing games, viruses.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

So long as consoles continue to be more convenient and simple to hook up and get working, they will be a major part of the gaming world.  And I say this as an almost exclusive PC gamer.

At least in the American market, quality is almost always trumped by convenience.  A few years from now, when XBox's graphics look like krap compared to PC, it won't matter.  Most people still like the ability to pop a game in, turn the machine on, and play.

That's why inferior sounding MP3's are on their way to outselling CD's.

Why browser games are increasing in popularity.

Why Mickey D's remains on top.

On the other hand, as consoles are starting to move to this "online connection needed" nonsense to play even single player games, they will more than likely shoot them in themselves in the foot.  Convenience is king, and also people don't like to be treated as criminals after they've plopped down hard earned cash for the system and games.

Consumers have historically balked at the "maybe the game will work, maybe it won't" nature of PC's, especially given all the in-between scenarios.  Maybe it will work but will perform horribly and be unplayable.  Maybe there will be random crashes.  Maybe it will run, but certain textures won't fill, or outlook express will start archiving emails during PVP, etc...

It's these concerns that have made consoles appealing.  But when DRM starts adding a few of those issues at no benefit to the consumer, you may see people turn to PC, where they at least have a bit of control over their own hardware.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

As much as I hate to admit it, the future of all computing (gaming included) looks a lot like an iPad.

No. I don't mean that the iPad is a good product. But it IS a good IDEA. Stay with me here....

Netbooks seem to be the price point sweet spot for the mass market. Most consoles don't really begin to sell until they hit that $300 or lower price point. How hard would it be to release a touchscreen only Netbook? Now add some USB ports and a stand so that you can hook up a Keyboard, mouse and gamepad. Take it out of the box, turn it on and it just works. Let's take this a step further.

Let's say that we treat this new tablet netbook like a console. That means that it only runs proprietary software, but that software would be compatible with current file formats. Let's also say that it has a built in app downloader like Steam or the iPhone App store. And just to put icing on the cake, we'll say it has roughly the same amount of computing and graphics power as an XBox 360. Price, convenience, built-in DRM and It's portable too.

Yeah.....

This whole debate is about to go away....

• EmlochEmloch Member Posts: 51

The title of this post is, no doubt, wishful thinking. Although the root of video games lies with the PC, it is the console that is responsible for where gaming is today. The console is here to stay for several reasons, but namely for its market. Console game sales tremendously outweigh PC sales and is the reason why the gaming indusrty is now a multi-billion dollar business.

It seems; if you look closely at the trending of the industry; that, eventually, the PC and gaming console will merge to become one. We will have the big companies pushing to sell you the "all in one" home entertainment centre (gaming, internet browsing, multi media playback) rigged to your HD flat screen television.

As for now, the console is here to stay. And by the looks of things from an industry standpoint, the console is definitely winning the race to victory.

• JetrpgJetrpg Member UncommonPosts: 2,347

Talk about hogwash.

What do you mean by a "PC that will play anything a PS3 will ever handle"?

Most popular games you play on PC you can play on a PS3, but there are a lot of PS3 games that the PC will never handle, not because of hardware limitations, but because most of the real sofisticated and "big" PS3 games will never be on PC.

In the end the comparision you made has only one purpose, so people who only has a PC can feel better. Buy a $600 PC today and you will need to upgrade it in less than 2 years if you want to play every game maximized and with full direct x compatibility.

A low end PC was not able to run GTAIV well, and it was possible to play it flawless on a PS3.

PS3 $ 370,00

XBOX 360 elite $299,00

And then you come here trying to counter my arguments and say that your $600,00 PC can run "every game"...  well, so I am right, a gaming PC (even a low end one that will need upgrade soon like yours) IS the most expensive gaming system!

You can almost buy a PS3 and a 360 with the price of one middle/low end PC.

But the point is that $600 can play games that are more intense on the hardware, you say that can't i know your wrong . I make a ton of computers for friends they play games for a long time. And the argument about them not porting the games to PC just proves the point, even more so when it doesn't cost a thing (we know it doesn't for FF13) and there are most likely many others.

Ah ok, now you are comparing your new PC with a PS2... I see...

Forget the PS2 (a 10 years old console) and get God of War 3 for the PS3 and compare with what you can play on a $300,00 PC.. (not your $600,00 system)

You know what I mean with full compatibility (direct x) and with full maximized graphics.

You think you just proved me wrong? Not exactly, you just proved you have no idea how Console gaming is today...

Emulators are nice, but never a good excuse to not buy a console... "Hey Lets wait 10 years and play it on a PC emulator forget about Consoles..."

Try to play Bayonetta, God of War 3, Heavy Rain on your low end PC that costs 2x more than a PC...or wait 10 years for an emulator to "proove me wrong".

Try to play GTAIV with good performance with a low end graphic card.

The emulator point was taken wrong, see with consoles you can't get the best picture. The games and consoles have preset limits to what the game will look like. And these are not based on the games development but a setting so that the game runs without lagging awfully. In the case of ff12 the game itself can look wonderful, but on a  ps2 it doesn't becuase the ps2 can't hand it. And at the end of the ps3 life the same thing will happen, but with a computer if you have the system you can have the better graphics and if you don't you can scale down the graphics.

You seem to believe those consoles graphics are maximixed, they're not. That was the point of the emulator, showing that games can indeed be played at higher res/graphic than they are on the console.

So you make claims but I have already pointed out they are incorrect.

Are you serious?

Well, this is why you see more games on Consoles.

This is why a Console is a much more fair gaming system.

This is why you see exclusive Console games that need less graphical power but look better.

This is why you know you can play every compatible game flawless on a Console and not on a PC.

Really? They "look better", enough said on that (as they may or may not).

And once again they are not flawless, many of the ports from xbox to ps3 has <20 fps frequently.

Other push around 30 fps, which is nothing to write home about.

"Fair" So does it treat you equally or what?

hmm, well, no cords these days...

So, when a game is a PC exclusive, what argument you use? Should we blame ATI or NVIDIA?

You do know that it is easy and sometimes more profitable to build a good and impressive game for just one plataform right?

The only two things I see in your arguments are the total lack of information about Console gaming and a bit of illusory PC elitism.

"You do know that it is easy and sometimes more profitable to build a good and impressive game for just one plataform right?"

Why? I mean really why ? I think its becuase you then force people to buy that platform, that seems like a good thing for those people selling that product, but and awful thing for me and the consumer, that means i have to pay more for the same entertainment.

As for the lack of understanding of consoles, i believe the accurate technical aspects that i have addressed about the ps3, ps2 and xbox, as well as, PCs show that i do indeed understand  them.

Most non gaming PCs will NEVER run a modern game well, the argument you used against Consoles you can use against gaming PC  market (and it is a pretty weak one).

Everyone has a PC is not equal to everyone has a PC able to run modern games with satisfatory performance.

PC is also a good gaming system, everyone here plays MMORPGs, so we all agree that a gaming PC is needed if you like this genre. But your arguments are nothing more than opinionated illusions.

Then using your own argument.  Why can't i play ps3 games on my PS2, or my xbox games on my wii? Not every console is equal also.

"Society in every state is a blessing, but government even in its best state is but a necessary evil; in its worst state an intolerable one ..." - Thomas Paine