Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Macrotransactions

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by AOCtester

The death penalty and need to use Perfumes in all endgame PVE content could turn out to be a disaster (IMO).
    It could well reduce the number of players that do PVE endgame and there for the PVE endgame might become the a feature alot of ppl feel lacking (cause so few can play it).  I personally think putting a high death penalty with mandatory Cash shop items to remove it is just stupid.   And if they are gonna make those items to accessable in the game - then why the hell price the items so high in cash shop ?

It was a REALLY *stupid* decision.  I really wonder about some of the suits who come up with these types of decisions. They obviously had little,  if any clue as to how the player base was going to react.  Then, once the reaction triggered, they didn't immediately back down(and blame it on one of their subordinates... ^^) thats almost as stupid as their initial mistake was.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by Scot

Cash Shops are a gravy train. Every time a cash shop is suddenly introduced the fanboys say don’t worry, while everyone else is concerned. Every time a CS suddenly introduces high prices players react as if they have never heard of a cash shop before and rage at this outrageous event.
    Most cash shops start fair, all end up selling the likes of xp potions. I challenge those who support F2P and item shops to name one MMO that has had a item shop for more than 4 years and is not now selling xp potions, uber health shields for pvp or the like.

You're a bit out in left field here. First, the 'fanboys' have shown equal outrage to these prices throughout this thread. Second, the outrage isn't that there is a cash shop. It's not even really the power of the items. It's the cost of them. Since that has been a consistent issue and since it has been mostly agreed by both sides to be a seroius issue, I'm wondering if you didn't read the thread or if you just posted in the wrong one.

Some people have a knee jerk reaction to some topics. I know I tend to start frothing at the mouth when the subject of the NGE comes up...

Item shops are just a different business model. If one doesn't like them, then don't play games that have them.

• joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

im not for cash shops but if they put something worth my money and i enjoy the game then whatever

but fact is i dont pay in f2p for anything mainly because there is nothing worth paying for

i have more important things to do with my cash then buy junk for some game ill probably only play every now and again

and whats more is the price has to be in a decent range even if it is something worth it

• solusbelatorsolusbelator Member Posts: 102

Here's the thing until people stop paying, actually stop paying and not just doing lip service in threads like these, that includes gold selling as well.  It will never stop.  Ever. 

As long as there is a market, it will continue.  The best way to combat it is to stop being hypocrites!  Obviously not everyone that posts in these types of threads are, but I would venture a good many are.  That's why this crap continues and gets worse and worse as time goes on.  I always picture some people in threads like these the same as a politician.  They puff up there chest and talk tough about how terrible this is, then go buy a dollar item from their favorite game.  It's only a buck right?

Bah, until gamers actually take action, by not buying or even populating these types of games and not just talk tough it will never stop.

• sacredcow4sacredcow4 Member UncommonPosts: 249

I think Allods already caused irreparable damage to their name and credibility.  While honorable of them to try to fix the prices... It doesn't change the fact that they initially tried to charge players outrageous prices.  They knew exactly what they were doing, and I'll bet that a handful of hardcore addicts did purchase a few items.  Now they will pretend to be concerned, and lower the prices for their average players.  Don't even think about a refund or additional store credit for those few hardcore buyers.  Robbery in my opinion.  Game company's used to care about their players(customers)... Only a few company's actually do now.

I've been here a while...
  • MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181

Item shops are just a different business model. If one doesn't like them, then don't play games that have them.

Thats going to pretty much limit people to single player games considering its hard to find even a P2P without them now.

• Bakkoda24Bakkoda24 Member UncommonPosts: 257

gPotato has enough other free-to-play games with item shops that are a hit that they shouldn't feel they have to screw everyone over with it in Allods. This is human greed at its finest. Bravo gPotato.

Originally posted by MavisP

Thats going to pretty much limit people to single player games considering its hard to find even a P2P without them now.

If thats what happens, then thats their choice...<shrug>  Then the single player games will benefit.

• InnossInnoss Member Posts: 105

Many of us "old timers " saw things like this coming. Its the main reason we dont like the "scheme". Ever heard the phrase " give an inch, and they will take a mile" ? This is exactly what happens. F2P games will continue to get worse. Why do you think MMOs havent gone up in price over the 15 bucks a month in years? Because the market research shows that it wont support it. So some shmuck somewhere decided to come up with a way to "trick" you idiots into paying more. And believe me, they do consider you idiots. This game is case in point.

Regardless, I would rather quit MMO's all together than play one with an item shop. Which unfortunatly the market is dwindling.

As a last thought, 2 years from now, you people will look back and think " Hmm those prices weren't that bad"

• adamkadmonadamkadmon Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Innoss

Many of us "old timers " saw things like this coming. Its the main reason we dont like the "scheme". Ever heard the phrase " give an inch, and they will take a mile" ? This is exactly what happens. F2P games will continue to get worse. Why do you think MMOs havent gone up in price over the 15 bucks a month in years? Because the market research shows that it wont support it. So some shmuck somewhere decided to come up with a way to "trick" you idiots into paying more. And believe me, they do consider you idiots. This game is case in point.

Regardless, I would rather quit MMO's all together than play one with an item shop. Which unfortunatly the market is dwindling.

As a last thought, 2 years from now, you people will look back and think " Hmm those prices weren't that bad"

Pfft. In a couple of years, I'll look back and say "gee, I'm glad I never played the crappy f2p mmo's... I don't like the p2p model but I understand why people go that route (I happen to know of a good MMO game that will let you go either way and it WORKS). What I don't understand is how is it hard to stop playing crappy pvp f2p mmo's? I'm a cheap basterd (sic)  too, but for god's sake support the good companies. Or don't....and let the MMO turn into something no one wants around. 

• DanubusDanubus Member Posts: 169

Been playing since Closed beta and this company just doesn't have a clue how to run an MMO. They had so much hype and the game is very good, but they are letting their game goto hell. Cash shop is just one of many issues with the game. They could take the cash shop down while they try and fix prices, but their greedy arses. They are going to milk the game till it is ran into the ground and that time is coming with an upcoming patch. This patch is going to change the game in a lot more bad ways and then even more people are going to leave. On top of it all now we have no GMs on the forums or in game and people are botting as well as gold sellers have gone in game and are spamming cities.

Gpotato and NA have destroyed their game with poor business decisions and design. This game COULD have been the best Free to play game out there, but they hosed it themselves. Now, the damage is done and people are leaving in droves. I watch the forums and twitter and even their employees are at a loss on what to do and some even feel others on their team have abandoned and betrayed them.

It's a real shame, but maybe someday someone will buy this game and re-release it without NA or Gpotato being involved and messing it up.

• TyrrhonTyrrhon Member Posts: 412

The saddest part of all this affair is the market does not want fair F2P games.

Look at how Allods is designed from ground up (and the death penalty and removal are far from an afterthough) - as a game with large PvP component and required purchases - but with rather reasonable costs and not major imballances. It tries hard to push people into cash shop but keeps the PvP competition interesting.

The end result?

1) Players rage because they demand free game to be totally free, at any cost.

2) Publisher does not care about masses, instead fishes for victims that would pay anything for their dose.

Allods is a waste of good game for such market, because none really cares about the game, it is all about cash shop - or evading it.

• I really really rarely post here.

But .. as i read the article i couldnt stop laughing.

On the other hand, good plan. Now they go and cut the prices by maybe .. say 50% and claim

"Were grateful ... now the cash shop items are all aviable at a 50% discount !!  Were good to our fans"

The buzz they cause around their game is great. They get all the attention.

I wonder if that wasnt the plan in the first place. Creating a giant bombshell, drop it on the audience, watch even more ppl flock by to watch the outcome. Then after you have all the Attention drop back to more realistic rates and get the benefit of "hey they listened to us, they must be a good company".

Ala: Theres no bad press.

Ok maybe im a bit on the "evil conspiracy" trip. But i have a very very hard time to beliefe that they diddnt know the market and also diddnt had a closer look at all the other cash shops out there and the going rates. It was absolutely clear that such a high price sheme wouldnt work.

But... i still cant stop laughing

• FreefallerFreefaller Member Posts: 9

Maybe im just a "kid" as the author said but , still... Its free ; i just play for fun , when i have to play in order to have fun , the game is over for me...

Allods online looks great and till now ,im having lots of fun. I plan to play as long as i find fun on it but i would never buy something i will never have (for example :digital copies of a game, items on a game and so on) but is just my personal point of view...

Well, indeed, have fun, the game is over when you hit "Holy Land" allod - that means plain PvP at lvl 25, Fear of death 2 minutes - and you can finnaly realise the P2W recipe (been there, done that).

I wonder if that wasnt the plan in the first place. Creating a giant bombshell, drop it on the audience, watch even more ppl flock by to watch the outcome. Then after you have all the Attention drop back to more realistic rates and get the benefit of "hey they listened to us, they must be a good company".

Played from CB1 and the hype level was above 9. In OB, after Fear of Death & CS is 7.75... I hope their Cypress (safety device assisting the opening of a parachute)  is functioning OK, freefall can result in serious damage...:)

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

Well it pretty much falls on every single person who spends money in cash shops. You buy items they see this add new stuff with a higher price and what happens? You buy it. This is why I will only play P2P games I get all the content for $15 a month rather then the same price for 1 item that will expire in 30 days. So you want to complain guess what look in the mirror and complain to the person in the mirror(if you buy from the item shop). It's not only Allods that try to OVERCHARGE their players every single F2P game does I have checked many games cash shops and if they use their own currency then I compare and well I have yet to find anything at a fair price. If these F2P games want to make money over a longer period rather then making a quick buck and having the game die then don't charge $2 for an item that should be only $.25.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Innoss

There seems to be two sides to F2P. One side that ardently flames the other for playing F2P and another side that is busy happily playing the games, often far from the circle jerk of hatred.

Many of us "old timers " saw things like this coming. Its the main reason we dont like the "scheme". Ever heard the phrase " give an inch, and they will take a mile" ? This is exactly what happens.  - an old timer

Is it at all possible that both research and history have shown that most gamers prefer the F2P model, for one reason or another, and that is why the developers have started going that route?

Now, here's the next question for you: If you feel it's possible, do you feel it may be probable?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Freefaller

I hope their Cypress (safety device assisting the opening of a parachute)  is functioning OK, freefall can result in serious damage...:)

That was good for a nice Sat evening chuckle before closing the browser and heading out.   Thank you! :)

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210

It surprises me how many players claim that F2P game are really more expensive to play than P2P. I've played at last a dozen F2P games in the last 5 years and I doubt that I have spent more than $20 total in that time on them. Sure, people can go crazy and spend stupifying amount in item shops, but that is their choice.

The only reason that expensive items are listed in the item shops are that some players are stupid enough to buy them. The companies watch item shop sales very closely and will make whatever adjustments are needed to promote sales. If people will stop buying the expensive items, then the companies will get the message and we will get lower priced items.

Originally posted by dadown

It surprises me how many players claim that F2P game are really more expensive to play than P2P. I've played at last a dozen F2P games in the last 5 years and I doubt that I have spent more than $20 total in that time on them. Sure, people can go crazy and spend stupifying amount in item shops, but that is their choice.

CHOICE IS BAD!!!

I'm kidding. :) 

Been playing Dragonica, Combat Arms, Florensia and a few other F2P MMOs for a while now. All told I probably have spent a total of 35-40 USD over the past year. It would cost that much just for the first month of most subscription MMOs.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986

35 to 40 dollars spent on several MMO’s. 5, maybe 10 dollars on each MMO a year, not such a great revenue model then is it? Yet F2P and cash shops are hailed as the saviour of MMO finances, laughable.

Yet equally I have seen threads and posts from people who have been taken for a ride and spent a fortune. Cash Shops are an uneven source of income for a MMO and an unfair one for players.

I should point out that this post is looking at the wider implications of item shops as I was questioned as to whether I had read the thread. :)

• NiakadNiakad Member Posts: 36

It surprises me how many players claim that F2P game are really more expensive to play than P2P. I've played at last a dozen F2P games in the last 5 years and I doubt that I have spent more than $20 total in that time on them.

Played - as in "spent hours upon hours to grind out level 2"?

Such activities... are not very exciting or relaxing.

• FearGXFearGX Member Posts: 317

Way too greedy, prices are laughable, I'd never spend money for ingame items that are used for core features, I wouldn't play a game that condones such gameplay. Sure pets and deluxe special fun items, I might slip a dollar, or 5. Even 10 dollars for additional content (membership). But 20 for a Backpack that in most mmos should be in an ingame vendor. Sorry but no. $7000 for a rune that upgrades armor, what a joke!

Originally posted by Scot

35 to 40 dollars spent on several MMO’s. 5, maybe 10 dollars on each MMO a year, not such a great revenue model then is it? Yet F2P and cash shops are hailed as the saviour of MMO finances, laughable.
    Yet equally I have seen threads and posts from people who have been taken for a ride and spent a fortune. Cash Shops are an uneven source of income for a MMO and an unfair one for players.
    I should point out that this post is looking at the wider implications of item shops as I was questioned as to whether I had read the thread. :)

Hardly unprofitable, or it wouldn't  make up the majority of the business model in the Asian markets.  I have no problems paying for games I enjoy. P2P, F2P or some hybrid, as long as they are fun I really do not care.  As for "unfair",  if the same choices are available to everyone, thats hardly unfair.  It all depends on how things are applied.

Originally posted by Fearlessbro

Way too greedy, prices are laughable, I'd never spend money for ingame items that are used for core features, I wouldn't play a game that condones such gameplay. Sure pets and deluxe special fun items, I might slip a dollar, or 5. Even 10 dollars for additional content (membership). But 20 for a Backpack that in most mmos should be in an ingame vendor. Sorry but no. $7000 for a rune that upgrades armor, what a joke!

I quite agree in this context, There seems to be a BIG disconnect between the people setting the prices, and anyone who has experience with western player demographics.  It was entertaining listening to the pod cast of the Gpotato rep dancing around the various questions about this. ^^   But they did admit that as it is currently set up Fear Of Death(at higher levels) is going to cost $50 a month or more. Thats the kiss of death for these types of games.

• dadowndadown Member UncommonPosts: 210
    Originally posted by Niakad

It surprises me how many players claim that F2P game are really more expensive to play than P2P. I've played at last a dozen F2P games in the last 5 years and I doubt that I have spent more than $20 total in that time on them.

Played - as in "spent hours upon hours to grind out level 2"?
    Such activities... are not very exciting or relaxing.

I've found that F2P games are usually as easy to start out in as P2P games and in some cases better. After level 20, it tends to spread out more, with games like WoW still being easy to level and others like Istaria and Vanguard taking a lot longer. F2P games have a similar diversity and this is probably where some players rely on the item shop to speed things up.

For me, the game is about the journey, not a rush to max level, so I never buy items to speed up leveling.