Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Community Spotlight: Would You Play a Fully PvE MMOG?

Comments

• rywaltrywalt Member Posts: 44

Every MMO I ever played may as well have been pve only, because thats the only parts of the games I ever participate in.

I've never been any good at pvp so I guess thats why I don't enjoy it.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me."
    Paul Atreides

• MaendauronMaendauron Member Posts: 118

Aside from Warhammer I have never favoured PvP at all.  It works well in Warhammer but nothing else I have played has PvP I find enjoyable.

My preference is for all games to be PvE. 

• iinweediinweed Member Posts: 6

Well - take the PvP out of most games, and you would improve them 100 fold.

It's invariably the PvP balancing (and whining about balance) that ruins a game, and don't even get me started on griefing...

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by PoopyStuff

No.

I'm not a wuss

Considering the biggest crybabies are the PvPers, I find your comment amusing to say the least.

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Awe heil, now I'm getting confused about which thread is which. Be back to edit.

Edit: OK, ... yeah, i would play a PVE only. I usually only play the PVE parts of MMO's anyways. But to add to that, there is something about mostly PVE games with PVP zones that if crossed, you can get your butt handed to you. It adds alot that way.

I'd love a straight up PVE MMO... There are alot of different ways they can be done too.

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• XTC2XTC2 Member Posts: 30
    Originally posted by WisebutCruel

Originally posted by PoopyStuff

No.

I'm not a wuss

Considering the biggest crybabies are the PvPers, I find your comment amusing to say the least.

Lol. /Agree.  Nobody whines like a PvPer.  I'll bet the child that wrote this is a lowbie-ganking douchebag, like most PvPers.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Answer for me is : Yes totally.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Sure -  so many games have PvP as an afterthought, or as a 'mini game' or not properly integrated with the core mechanics that it may as well not exist. 

I love PvP but only a handful of games have got it essentially correct (and if it is not correct it is not satisfying) AC (darktide) DAoC and errr that's pretty much all I can think of right now. UO was of course fun but it was messed up really.

• Lexe01Lexe01 Member Posts: 97

If the game would bring something refershing to the MMORPG world, I would play it for sure.

A good dropsystem (rareness of drops) combined with a good and refreshing crafting system would get alot of players.

Most MMOs have an unbalanced drop system vs craft system. Most of the time crafting isn't worth it because the drops are too good.

I have enjoyed the crafting system in EQ2, although I hated the frequent zoning load screens, it totally interrupts the gameplay. Having alot of trade professions would help a PVE only game too.

• Death1942Death1942 Member UncommonPosts: 2,587

a fully PvE MMO would work wonders.  MMORPG's where never meant to encourage player vs player.  If i wanted half decent PvP then i sure as hell wouldn't be looking for it in an MMO.

MMO wish list:

-Changeable worlds
    -Solid non level based game
    -Sharks with lasers attached to their heads

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Originally posted by XTC2

Lol. /Agree.  Nobody whines like a PvPer.  I'll bet the child that wrote this is a lowbie-ganking douchebag, like most PvPers.

Yes, and they generalize a lot, tend to make fun of people, and call them pretty uncomplimentary names, all while questioning their maturity...

oh wait....

• avalon1000avalon1000 Member UncommonPosts: 791

I would really like a pure PvE game.  LOTRO is as close as I can get to that. 

• Ra9narokRa9narok Member UncommonPosts: 20

I would as many others definetly play a PvE MMORPG game, but i must also say that as someone stated before there is no better enemy then a real gamer who has his own strategy and playstyle and with that in mind a PvE game could get a biiig boost if someone can use this fact as an advantage to improve the PvE experience of any gamer out there who likes PvE.

Many MMORPG games have a PvP aspect integrated but none of them has tried to combine the PvE aspect WITH the PvP experience. What i mean? Well, i would gladly play an epic quest in a MMORPG game where you need to achieve a goal by takeing out an epic boss BUT on the way to it you get challenged by a group of real players who try to stop you on your way (Offense/Defense quest line). Warhammer Online tried to use such a system but it didn't succede that much because you needed to spend to much time and you need a full group of skilled players who can overcome the whole defending party + win over a boss that has to much HP points and that gets you into a situation where you can't win over it before the enemy respawns. My idea is to include some kind of a natural berrier which the players could activate while fighting the defending group and which would stop them from fighting further after they have lost that fight, in the mean time the attacking group  could get on the boss and win over it. I think this wasn't tried in any MMORPG game and i have played many (i'm still searching for a game that suits my play style and i have high hopes for Final Fantasy XIV).

This is a small idea of mine how a PvEvP game could work out. AION is a game that has widespread the PvPvE idea BUT i'll turn it a bit around and say, why not a PvEvP game (90% PvE-10%PvP in a quest line ofc, no PvP instances).

I hope you get my point.

What i want to say is, i would be happy to play a PvE only game but a bit of a PvP while doing it would be something that would make a quest a bit more difficult and reduce the boredom of a repeatable quest line.

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Actually that is a pretty dumb question, mainly because so few games have decent pvp.  Most MMO's players end up playing these games as pve only anyways.

I would have to concur with others in this thread, the best pvp I have had in a game was DAoC.  Although I did like the pvp in UO.

Problem with the general MMO today, they either force you into a full time pvp world like Darkfall, which generally makes the new player experience intolerable or they do a lot of pvp instancing with attempts at balancing the opponents.

Take Wow for example, the pvp servers are mostly low population.  A MMO needs both pve and pvp areas to be successful.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Absolutely YES. I find PVP mostly boring, repetitive and pointless. Let them focus on ONE thing, either a good PVP MMO OR a good PVE MMO, but not waste time on figleaf PVP which really satisfies no one.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• nekollxnekollx Member Posts: 570

Yes

I LOATH PvP With a pasion so hot that the sun itself cringhes for it

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

I'd definitely play PvE only game. As long as its to my liking. Don't really care much about PvP. The only PvP type I loved so far was in Asian F2P MMO "Atlantica Online", but they have very annoying item mall, and stuff costs a lot in real money.

Last few MMOs I mostly played PvE content. And playing Star Trek Online right now, only PvE as well at this point.

If SWTOR will be PvE only I will play it still 100%.

• KeushpuppyKeushpuppy Member UncommonPosts: 171

yes I would...

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240

Would I play a fully PVE MMO?

Yes.

Most MMO PvP is just poorly tacked on to begin with. In most cases I ignore PvP to begin with.

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• ll_Shaman_llll_Shaman_ll Member Posts: 7

PvE-only? Sure, I never cared for PvP in RPG games to begin with. When I want to play some real PvP I go and play some online shooters like Crysis Wars, CoD, Elite Force, and similar. Now, that's some real PvP! From my experiences in EVE and AC1 I noticed that PvP players, dedicated ones at least, are in general just ADHD afflicted morons who are not really interested in gameplay. For instance, AC1 ones don't know a single item of lore and ones in EVE have no idea what the major races are, even after playing the game for 3-4 years or more. 

• Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104

Yeah probably, but I like PvP as a option though.

• bamdorfbamdorf Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Taleran

Sure would, I played Everquest for a long time. Currently playing WoW and not touching the PvP

Also I think that MMO developers have forgotten how to make good PvP content for their games and the last game to do it correctly was DAoC

Ditto.  

---------------------------
    Rose-lipped maidens,
    Light-foot lads...

• KookasKookas Member Posts: 39

It depends on the game but probably No.

PvE content runs out in every game and then what do you do?  Getting more and more shiny gear through raids doesn't seem as appealing as a more sandbox style endgame that includes PvP.  I also don't complain on forums but I do consider what the endgame will be like before really getting into a game.   

* I read most of what Jon Wood writes
    * He needs more bullet points though

• thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Shabla

Yes I would. I never PvPed much, most games are too much item dependant (meaning countless hours of farming), alway prefered the PvE side.

Some people say PvE has no players interaction, wtf ? Group PvE can be fun, solo PvE may get boring.

I like PvE in general, but I don't like the general combat mechanics: target (or face or w/e) a enemy, hit 1 to throw stuff, hit 2 to throw another stuff, loot, rinse and repeat. Age of Conan tried to change that, but IMO it's not all that different (and was not fluid/reactive at all).

Movement should have a bigger importance in combats (not just "move from there, the boss will throw something because he always do"), I'd like to see an action/combo based fighting system (along the line of devil may cry, adapted to online game ofc), movements similar to fast fps (quake, ut), and rpg elements (traditional quests, skills, stats, gear, etc...), open skill system (T4C style, as long as you got prerequisite, stats or skills or w/e, you can have any skill/spell in the game using some currency (points), and THAT defines your class, not some template).

I went off subject a bit, sorry. Anyway <3 PvE.

Have you played chronicles of spellborn?

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.

• bubu_3kbubu_3k Member UncommonPosts: 108

Tbh was expecting more negative replies.

I'm also surprised by the fact that there aren't answer like "a mmo without pvp sucks" and crap like that. Guess the mmorpg.com community is more mature then i thought it would be:)

“Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.” A. Einstein