Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 100% PVE MMO, No PVP at all ?

Comments

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

Dewm,

Over 30, you?

Yeah, I played everyone of them. except UO.  I thought FF had pvp when I played it, which was right from the start.  I didn't play it for longer then 6 month because I didn't like it.

But I was told there was atm I played it.  Maybe I was playing on a red server?

All I did in GW was there pvp instances the rest of the game was crap in my eyes.  So, maybe there was more to the pve side but I never play it. 

Sorta like WoW to me was a PvP game when it game out.  I played on Laughing Skull and fought around the open world cities that fought one another in the begining, it was fun for a while.  Then I started playing in BGs more and that was all I really did other then grind in pve (which I hated) for higher level BGs.

I played all of the games on your list except UO.  My first MMO was AC which I played from release for a long long time.

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

I enjoy PvP more than I do PvE.

But i would play a strictly PvE game for sure.  PvP is not required to make a good game IMO.

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337
    Originally posted by stux

Dewm,

Over 30, you?

Yeah, I played everyone of them. except UO.  I thought FF had pvp when I played it, which was right from the start.  I didn't play it for longer then 6 month because I didn't like it.
    All I did in GW was there pvp instances the rest of the game was crap in my eyes.  So, maybe there was more to the pve side but I never play it. 

Sorta like WoW to me was a PvP game when it game out.  I played on Laughing Skull and fought around the open world cities that fought one another in the begining, it was fun for a while.  Then I started playing in BGs more and that was all I really did other then grind in pve (which I hated) for higher level BGs.
    I played all of the games on your list except UO.  My first MMO was AC which I played from release for a long long time.

I'm 21, and I was asking just to make sure your actually old enough to be playing some of those old ones.

as for FFXI, no it didn't have PVP, and i'm wondering if you actually play'd FFXI, because you would know that it didn't have "red" servers, sounds like you play'd WOW and expect every game to have that. And GW it did have the instanced battle grounds, but as far as PVP goes thats it.

And as for those of you who think you would get bored in a PVE world, it actually is alot better. In a PVP game most dev time/resources is taken up tweaking, balancing and making new battlegrounds. Where as in a PVE game like FFXI you get actual NEW content. Always somthing new.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

Originally posted by Dewm

Dewm,

Over 30, you?

I'm 21, and I was asking just to make sure your actually old enough to be playing some of those old ones.

as for FFXI, no it didn't have PVP, and i'm wondering if you actually play'd FFXI, because you would know that it didn't have "red" servers, sounds like you play'd WOW and expect every game to have that. And GW it did have the instanced battle grounds, but as far as PVP goes thats it.

And as for those of you who think you would get bored in a PVE world, it actually is alot better. In a PVP game most dev time/resources is taken up tweaking, balancing and making new battlegrounds. Where as in a PVE game like FFXI you get actual NEW content. Always somthing new.

I did play FF a long ass time ago.  I never did pvp but again it was my understanding that it did have it.

I was one of those tiny little casters.  It had player housing.  You lost XP on death, which was a big reason I left.  That and to me the grind was out of hand.  I quickly lost interest.  It had cute liittle graphics model, aimed at children IMO.  I thought it was odd being that the FF series hadn't had graphics like that since it was the only option available (like pre-sony PS).  I played every FF game since I was a kid including the first on the NES.  It was a great series but not a great MMO, imo.

I have been playing games since the atari with the game i think it was called dungeons or something basically you were a little 2d box that could pick up keys, a sword, and such with the goal of slaying a dragon to save a princess I believe.

In either case, I have played the game you obviously haven't.

Is it possible I don't rememer correctly, yes.  I already said as such.

I have palyed so many mmo's I can't recall all of them perfectly, it was like 7 years ago and about 15 mmo's ago...

Further, like I have mentioned, to me it wasn't a more memorable one.  Most of them that I have played IMO weren't including some other big ones like EQ1, I preferd AC1.

When I was 21 and had only played MMO's for a short period of time I HATED PVP.

From my perspective after playing the damn things for over 10 years I don't play a game without it.

Time, age, and repetitiveness changes things.  One day you may find that pvp is the only option for enjoyment.

I am sure then next phase is not really playing MMO's at all.

BTW,

MMORPG.COM lists FF as having PVP.  So, if I am wrong looks like this site is as well.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Possibly....what was the middle thing?

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• JadetoothJadetooth Member UncommonPosts: 372

Considering i never pvp in my mmos, and i find the "Hey, go check the pvp out"-missions/Quests annoying i'd love to play a pure PVE game.

------------------------------

Yes....no maybe....sorry what was the question?

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

• BrialynBrialyn Member Posts: 184

Yes I would play a 100% pve MMO.  PvP has never been a huge deal to me.  Yes I've done it with my guilds but its always been just meh to me.  Thats me though and I recognize that others feel very differently. 

and yes FFXI did quote on quote have pvp but not the way that most people think about pvp so it wasn't really the same thing.  Technically you would have to call it pvp so the site did.  FFXIV will most likely have the same type of pvp as FFXI did so I don't really think of it as regular pvp. 

Currently Playing: FFXIV:ARR
    Looking Forward to: Wildstar
  • Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

Yes if it was an open world that changed with your choices/actions and interaction with other players was frequent, otherwise no. PVP is good for a break if you need it.

Possibly....maybe....perhaps.....not sure....its possible.....sorry what was the question?

Originally posted by lttexxan

Possibly....maybe....perhaps.....not sure....its possible.....sorry what was the question?

Endlessly.

I think it is a question, not was.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

I play Darkfall, so I do like PvP.

I like either extreme PvP or extreme PvE.

I don't like the 2 things balanced together.

So I would definetly like a PvE game with no PvP (EQ3?)

Originally posted by Dewm

Dewm,

Over 30, you?

I did play FF a long ass time ago.  I never did pvp but again it was my understanding that it did have it.
    I was one of those tiny little casters.  It had player housing.  You lost XP on death, which was a big reason I left.  That and to me the grind was out of hand.  I quickly lost interest.  It had cute liittle graphics model, aimed at children IMO.  I thought it was odd being that the FF series hadn't had graphics like that since it was the only option available (like pre-sony PS).  I played every FF game since I was a kid including the first on the NES.  It was a great series but not a great MMO, imo.
    I have been playing games since the atari with the game i think it was called dungeons or something basically you were a little 2d box that could pick up keys, a sword, and such with the goal of slaying a dragon to save a princess I believe.
    In either case, I have played the game you obviously haven't.
    Is it possible I don't rememer correctly, yes.  I already said as such.

I have palyed so many mmo's I can't recall all of them perfectly, it was like 7 years ago and about 15 mmo's ago...

Further, like I have mentioned, to me it wasn't a more memorable one.  Most of them that I have played IMO weren't including some other big ones like EQ1, I preferd AC1.

When I was 21 and had only played MMO's for a short period of time I HATED PVP.

From my perspective after playing the damn things for over 10 years I don't play a game without it.

Time, age, and repetitiveness changes things.  One day you may find that pvp is the only option for enjoyment.
    I am sure then next phase is not really playing MMO's at all.

Well i'm impressed that you have played alot of game.........I think.

As for FFXi it may have had "kiddie" graphics, but it definitely had more of a mature community then your precious WoW.

And MMORPG.com is wrong, FFXI isn't PVP.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!

• Mopar63Mopar63 Member UncommonPosts: 300

While PVP can be fun in the end it ALWAYS comes down to the same thing no matter the game, who can bring the biggest mob. Take EVE for example which has incredible PVP. All the great PVP sadly is reduced to a few choice encounters as 90% of it ends up being one blob fighting another with both fighting lag.  Thats one thing I LIKE about STO the smaller groups. But it is not just EVE, PVP in all games eventually seems to come down to the same point, group sizes.

With that said I do not thing a well designed PVE game would really lose much over a game with blob based PVP. I mean you can still get on eiwht your freinds and fight battles. It would make the developer work harder I think since they would need better content but it could be done.

Originally posted by Mopar63

While PVP can be fun in the end it ALWAYS comes down to the same thing no matter the game, who can bring the biggest mob. Take EVE for example which has incredible PVP. All the great PVP sadly is reduced to a few choice encounters as 90% of it ends up being one blob fighting another with both fighting lag.  Thats one thing I LIKE about STO the smaller groups. But it is not just EVE, PVP in all games eventually seems to come down to the same point, group sizes.
    With that said I do not thing a well designed PVE game would really lose much over a game with blob based PVP. I mean you can still get on eiwht your freinds and fight battles. It would make the developer work harder I think since they would need better content but it could be done.

See here is a the issue, you think it'll make the devs "work harder" when in reality, they get paid the same amount either way. so instead of working "twice as hard" and make "twice as much content" instead the content gets cut in half. Instead of a new battle groun for the PVP people, and a new zone for the PVE people, the PVE people get "Item added: chair" and the PVP get nerfed and tweaked.

So anyone who says that PVP doesn't hurt PVE, has no CLUE what they are talking about.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

My first MMO was DAOC, so it may come as a surprise that I answered "Yes!"

Not every game needs to be the same, in fact, I prefer variety.

Give me a MMO that revolves around factional warfare, supported with a good story for fighting, and tangible results for winning and losing, and I'll be happy (ie. ala DAoC).

Give me a MMO that revolves around exploring new worlds, civilizations, or continents, with some epic quest lines and a great advancement system and I'll also be happy. No PvP needed.

Give me a MMO that combines the above two, complete with player ran cities, houses, fortresses, and other ultimate sandbox ammenities and I'll be happiest.

I'm a complex person, so I don't fit into ONLY PvP or ONLY PvE or whatever; I need a variety.

• theguru22theguru22 Member Posts: 52

Even Diablo and Borderlands have some kind of PVP...

There's really not much point in playing an MMORPG if it has no kind of PVP whatesoever, unless you have friends who aren't within' driving distance. I dunno... it's just kind of pointless.

MMORPGs should be nearly entirely shaped by their PVP content, because that's the only thing that separates them from single player or coop games. Single player RPGs (like Mass Effect 2) are always going to do PVE better, so why bother?

- Theguruofreason

• elf8blisself8bliss Member UncommonPosts: 304

It all comes down to how fun it is. I just prefer pvp online, it's so much fun.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by theguru22

MMORPGs should be nearly entirely shaped by their PVP content, because that's the only thing that separates them from single player or coop games. Single player RPGs (like Mass Effect 2) are always going to do PVE better, so why bother?

I disagree. First, the thing that seperates MMORPGs from single player games is, that they are (ideally) about a persistant world inhabited by lots and lots of players who interact with each other, in matters of crafting, economy, questing, fighting their way through dungeons,  competitions and so on. If the the monsters the players bash on the head are ai-controlled or other people doesn't determine if it's an MMORPG or not. If it involves lots of people in roughly the same world it's an MMORPG.

And that single player games always have better PvE content ain't correct either. If you fight your way through a single player game or go hunting dragons in a team with friends are totally different things, and a matter of preferences, without one beeing superior to the other.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• TrihfluTrihflu Member Posts: 97

Only if it was special and interesting with fun combat and quests that actually felt epic.  No killing 10 rats.  It might just turn into a Co-op RPG if you're not careful though.

This statement is false.

• NesrieNesrie Member Posts: 648

Yep i would as that's exactly the kind of game I prefer, PVE.

parrotpholk-Because we all know the miracle patch fairy shows up the night before release and sprinkles magic dust on the server to make it allllll better.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by dollada06

No I wouldn't, mainly because MMO I enjoy interaction with other people.  Sure PvE can still be like dungeons and stuff like that but I still enjoy the whole "forbidden area" stuff where you just don't generally go somewhere because your storyline nemesis is there.  I still enjoy that aspect of games.  If not for that and MMO would just feel like I was playing an Elder Scrolls game or something.

properbly been said by someone else in this thread BUT OMFG HOW IS PVP _INTERACTION WITH OTHER PPL !!!!! 

Dewm,

Well i'm impressed that you have played alot of game.........I think.

I am glad.........I think

As for FFXi it may have had "kiddie" graphics, but it definitely had more of a mature community then your precious WoW.

My precious WoW?  What the hell are you talking about, it was a good game but far from my favorite.  I think there are and were plenty of better games.  I am currently playing DF and think it is a much better game.

And MMORPG.com is wrong, FFXI isn't PVP.

Someone who is currently PLAYING the game confirmed yeah it had some form of pvp.  You haven't even played the game.

But comment on, you CLEARLY know what you are talking about.

Done feeding the troll.  He is hungry.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Absolutely! Every time I try out PVP in MMOs I see how pointless and totally superfluous it is to me.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert