Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 100% PVE MMO, No PVP at all ?

Comments

• onetruthonetruth Member Posts: 100

I would, simply because mmo pvp is largely devoid of meaning or consequence.  Aside from maybe EVE, it only exists for bragging rights (that are rendered laughably pointless since your recently dead victim usually comes right back and attacks you). 

MMO PVP is kind of like the special olympics.  It's nice for the participants who don't know any better, but the real athletes are in the real games (FPS titles that don't have all the rpg handicaps and actually demand skill/tactics).

The other thing that makes me yawn about mmo PVP is the red=dead mentality of most of the participants.  As a roleplayer in pre-Trammel UO and AC Darktide, I loved having the option to resort to violence if either party decided it was necessary.  Frequently though, cooler heads prevailed and tense, dramatic moments unfolded that were unscripted and a hell of a lot of fun.

You don't get that anymore with the current crop of PVPers.  Most of them lack imagination and it's just kill everything that moves, screw any rhyme or reason, and that kind of adolescent mentality gets boring after the first few times.

• james365james365 Member Posts: 10

I'd rather just kill innocent mmo beasties who are just minding their own business for the most part

• UnsungTooUnsungToo Member Posts: 276

Yep, I would... why? because I usually only play the PVE portion of MMO's anyway.

I party up and all that, trade, but I don't go looking to PVP.

Godspeed my fellow gamer

• mylin1mylin1 Member UncommonPosts: 138

I enjoy battleground like pvp but I can live with out it, I cant live without a good PVE system - pvp is a bit like crafting - its nice to have but I wont loose sleep over it.

• QurellQurell Member Posts: 41

yes i would play, i love player conflict but i think that the mindless bashing (i.e combat pvp) is the most boring part of such conflicts. No game is ever without competition between players.

• ZilverrugZilverrug Member Posts: 132

PvE is the reason I play games. I guess I am more a cooperative than a competive player.

When PvP (especially predefined factions - I hate predefined factions - people should decide for themselves who they ally with and who they fight against - as long as they have a sensible reason for it) destroys the story's logic, it's unforgivable.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

I was hardcore PvPer in WoW with rank gladiator, but now casually play Vanguard just for adventure. And I have fun, so yeah

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Yes.

You don't have 13 year olds dancing on your corpse in most PvE games after you've died.

Too much bad sportsmanship in PvP games. If they don't buy gold to beat you, they use hack programs so there is no "fair fights". Aion is a good example.

Given the choice of a pure PvE game and a pure PvP game, I'd rather spend my time fighting mobs; at least they don't buy gold and hack programs just to "win".

Besides, you get more bang for the buck in a PvE game. In a pvp game, YOU are the content so devs get an easy pass and don't come up with much except "Capture the Flag", "Capture the Fort", "Capture the .." well you get it.

• BlazzBlazz Member Posts: 321

PvE is a must for any game based around combat - what if there are simply not enough players?

PvP is something I would almost always say, can be optional.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

An MMO should be what it is. I am not even sure why LoTRo has PvP but it does PVE real well. I would play a pure PVE game if it did it well. Just make a good game.

• LysandrosLysandros Member Posts: 44
    Originally posted by popinjay

Besides, you get more bang for the buck in a PvE game. In a pvp game, YOU are the content so devs get an easy pass and don't come up with much except "Capture the Flag", "Capture the Fort", "Capture the .." well you get it.

Bingo!

• arcdevilarcdevil Member Posts: 864

Im a PvPer type of gamer, and I find absolutly no joy in figthing AI mobs restricted to hardcoded scripts which define a predictable behaviour.

PvE content is ALWAYS bound to end, and after beating it a first time I see no point nor find myself willing to repeat it.

Humans surprise you, and many can prove formidable challenges thru strategy tactics or even randomness,hence the sense of achievement.

scripted encounters on the other hand, in 99% of the games, imply a new mob that oneups the former in resistances, hp,damage output, or all at once...Its a been there done that just this time a fixed % harder/longer, and the next time the % increases a tad bit, and the next time, and the next time.....

You do PvP for pure competition and testing yourself againts opponents who know no boundaries other than the most basic game rules that apply to everyone, you included. 

Then, you just do PvE content to get gear which will make easier the next PvE content that gives you gear to make the next PvE content easier which gives you gear to...

in a nutshell:

PvP = yay!

PvE = ZZzzzZZZzzZZzZzZzzzzZZzZZZZZ. 

I'd rather play a game with pure PvP than a game with pure PvE.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

No. The reasons are quite obvious. Pvp offers greater challenge simply because the reactions of people are unpredictable in a fight compared to a scripted ai of a cpu controlled mob.

I think the best way for an mmorpg to be really good and leave everyone happy is to have all aspects included in the package.Good solid pve ,well designed pvp,and nice rpg atmosphere.

I played ddo as a fun of d&d universe and setup, it was fun, dungeons were great, combat was very good, but onlybecause there was nothing more (pvp),and the fact all world was fully instanced, no adventuring exploration in the wilds etc i quited around lvl 8.

There are great single rpg 's around. If i wouldnt want pvp single player rpg's are better than pure pve mmorpg's.So cant figure why join it. If i want coop play and interactivity id play an mmorpg which apart pve has pvp also.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485
    Originally posted by Thedrizzle

100% PvE? it was called Horizons and it didnt last too long.(Damn thats probably a game most people didnt play)

I loved Horizons!  It is still running.  The name has changed to Istaria : Chronicles of the Gifted.  It is a few years since I played.

The main issue with Horizons was bugs at release and server lag.  No game I have played since has tried to do what Horizons did in a single open world.  More recent games (including WoW) split the world into zones and/or instances to reduce server lag.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

MMO generation to MMO generation the MMO with the better PvE has gotten the subs.  That's not to say some of the great PvE games didn't also have PvP but the main pull was the PvE.  Personally I haven't played a single MMO where I enjoyed the PvP in anything but small chunks of time.  Certainly not someone who will run the same PvP game over and over.  If I wanted that... I'd still be playing FPS like I was in 1997.

So yes PvP doesn't ruin a game for me but the draw is the world and its  PvP content.  And now I'd like to send a big grrr to SOE for shipping EQ2:SF two days late to Canada.  And a big oye to those that got to start yesterday and are already 90.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Aguitha

And please give the reasons for your answers.  Personally PVP has never been my cup of tea.   It's not that i never tried, i just dont feel any sense of accomplishement fighting others peoples for what really  ?  Bragging rights ?   There is already TONS of pvp game out there, mostly shooters, why does every MMO that comes out MUST have some sort of PVP in it ?   Do you think we could have a succesful MMO without the PVP aspect ?

I answered YES, but there has to be made a remark on it...

I like PvP as addition to a game, but PvP has to be with rules. The sandbox rules where you can kill without restriction is not my cup of tea. PvP as in Lineage II, where restrictions are in place is the thing I like. You opt if you want to PvP or not, including the PK rules (which at times can be rather harsh).

I also loathe the whole Realm vs Realm idea. Why are there always 2 opposing factions? Make it more interesting with neutral factions (Balur in Aion), or add a 3rd (or more) player faction (RF online, though I don't like that gameplay). a 2-sided Realm vs Realm system is too limited IMO and numbs my senses and feels like "If it moves and not one of us, kill it"

About a game completely without PvP... I'm playing FFXI at the moment, and waiting for FFXIV to be released. I used to play LotRo (a PvE game IMO, the PvP it offers is close to null and void :p), but am inactive due to the new content (skirmishes, please...). I might pick it up after new is added...

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by Aguitha

And please give the reasons for your answers.  Personally PVP has never been my cup of tea.   It's not that i never tried, i just dont feel any sense of accomplishement fighting others peoples for what really  ?  Bragging rights ?   There is already TONS of pvp game out there, mostly shooters, why does every MMO that comes out MUST have some sort of PVP in it ?   Do you think we could have a succesful MMO without the PVP aspect ?

It already exists, its called FFXI. 

As for my answer, sure... but it would have to be a ridiculously good game.

Originally posted by thorwood

Originally posted by Thedrizzle

100% PvE? it was called Horizons and it didnt last too long.(Damn thats probably a game most people didnt play)

I loved Horizons!  It is still running.  The name has changed to Istaria : Chronicles of the Gifted.  It is a few years since I played.

The main issue with Horizons was bugs at release and server lag.  No game I have played since has tried to do what Horizons did in a single open world.  More recent games (including WoW) split the world into zones and/or instances to reduce server lag.

I still wish more games would do character development like the Dragon stuff.  It's too bad that game had the poor showing it didwith its other problems.

Originally posted by Ramonski7

PvP in MMos (in it's current state )is nothing more than an attempt for delinquents and unskilled FPS players to compare their achievements against themselves in a RPG setting and attempt to use those merits to justify their hardcore status..... They do this because they KNOW they don't have enough skill to accomplish anything when they play actual FPSs.

Either that or it's FPS players that feel the need to justify their inner nerd for MMOs by telling their friends that PvPing in MMOs is actually a thing of importance when it really isn't in a MMO.

But to answer your question, I don't think I would enjoy a PvE only game for too long because it limits the ability to fully commit yourself in a living breathing world and the dangers of coming up on devious players (not to be confused with asshats with an attitude).

Until the ego, self-centered PvPer becomes a minority to the real mentally stable PvPers. I'll take limited PvP servers like those found in WoW. To me it was the perfect balance for PvE and PvP.

And threads like this are for little more than piss poor carebears making up nonsense about how PvP players are deliquents w/out skill or morals.  Of course you naturally shy away from the fact that the reason you really hate PvP is because you get your butt handed to you most of the time because you can't think or react fast enough outside of a scripted encounter.

Now let me be honest, I don't actually believe what I just said.  But thats how retarded broad generalizations make you sound. So wise up and hop off your high horse.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Yes I would because I love games were I don't have to see whinings and kids spaming in chats how hardcore or l33t are they.

FFXI was a great example of a pve mmo with a rich storyline were some of the endgame was getting to know some of the lore of the game with cutscenes it was great imo but I know some wouldn't like them because you don't get fat loots..

Hopefully FFXIV will be a better game then XI.

Originally posted by popinjay

Yes.

You don't have 13 year olds dancing on your corpse in most PvE games after you've died.

Too much bad sportsmanship in PvP games. If they don't buy gold to beat you, they use hack programs so there is no "fair fights". Aion is a good example.

Given the choice of a pure PvE game and a pure PvP game, I'd rather spend my time fighting mobs; at least they don't buy gold and hack programs just to "win".

Nah, they don't dance on your corpse.  They just stand in the fire, or hump your dead corpse when you stand in the fire.  Atleast in a PvP game you can kill them for being an asshat.

PvE games never keep up with content.  It's impossible.  Just look at WoW.  Billion of dollars and they still are constantly struggling to produce content that lasts for more than a few weeks.  You know how they filled that time between PvE content pushes?  They implemented PvP.

I like PvE, but PvE heavy games always end up the same way... taking eleventy billion alts to level cap and twiddling my thumbs waiting for new content to release.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Well there are plenty of MMORPGs that are 100% PvE with no PvP if you don't want it. In fact the vast majority of them are instanced, pve games. I find it boring myself sitting in an instance for hours spamming two keys to get some shitty loot everyone else has already. Paying a fee for a single player game with a chatbox so I can spend 6 hours to get "Gandalf's G string of doom".

But hey whatever floats your boat I suppose!

Darkfall 4 life!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• jango1337jango1337 Member Posts: 217
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Well there are plenty of MMORPGs that are 100% PvE with no PvP if you don't want it. In fact the vast majority of them are instanced, pve games. I find it boring myself sitting in an instance for hours spamming two keys to get some shitty loot everyone else has already. Paying a fee for a single player game with a chatbox so I can spend 6 hours to get "Gandalf's G string of doom".
    But hey whatever floats your boat I suppose!
    Darkfall 4 life!

This. Competing against easy AI is so awesome!!! not, Darkfall is the best PvP is the best competition is the best. Not some WoW clone fully instanced PvE game where you just spam two buttons and follow a linear strategy to win.

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

LoTRO is a pretty good game but I quit after playing a couple of months.  Why?  LotRO has a poor PvP system.

One of the reasons WoW is successful is that it has it all, PvP, PvE, RP instanced and world.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

What 100% PVE your talking about? all the pve games there is are like 5 years old..

The games that have been releasing for these 2 years or so were all about pvp and look how they are surviving..