Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play a 100% PVE MMO, No PVP at all ?

Comments

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

I voted yes. I'm playing a pve-only game right now (Istaria), as a matter of fact. I can live without a pvp aspect as long as the pve (class variety, mob diversity, non-instaned content, player housing, etc) is good enough. 

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by Smarlow2

I would gladly play a 100% PvE game as I haven't really touched PvP in any MMO.

Why?

Community. The case that I generally find is that people are less inclined to play together and are more interested in topping the damage charts or getting the most killing blows.

Self Gratification > Team Co-operation/Goals

Thats the fps console generation your dealing with that have become a plague on the genre since WoW, not the old style pvp generation... (ie i'm a firm beleiver that there should be no pvp specific stats and that there shoudl be a reason to pvp rather than to boost some numbers so that the bottomfeeders stay away from it)

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788

Originally posted by OberanMiM

Originally posted by alacres

Originally posted by GamerFun

Originally posted by Toquio3

Im not a competitive person and I think pvp / competition brings out the worst in people. Also there is my signature =P

I could say the same with PvE crowd. PvE is competition as well which brings out the most rude assine attitudes out of people. To say that competition brings out the worst in PvPers is really ignorant when the same thing happens with the PvE crowd.

PvE'ers..........

Stuck up..check!

Elitiests ..check!

Greedy..check!...

It's a two way street... you are just too ignorant to see it.

Not sure what games you've been playing, but after going through countless mmos through the years (most of which having both pve and pvp), I can say without a doubt that the pve crowd is typically always more friendly and respectful, compared to the pvp crowd. 

Want an example? Go look at the Darktide forums for Asheron's call on the vnboards website. Then go look at any of the other Asheron's call pve server forums. I could give many other examples but that should suffice.

Funny thing is, I really like pvp and I always have - in fact, some of the most fun I've ever had was during pvp activity, but from my experience, the rudeness and the egomanics you have to deal with makes it something I'd rather not even bother with. 

Naturally, everyone's mileage may vary, but those are my own observations.

Forum PVP isn't the same as ingame PVP. Besides the egomaniacs just have to be crushed... repeatedly to be broken down and rebuild with a normal ego.......... (problem is you can't do that on a forum)

Believe me, I'm not just talking about forum pvp when I reference Asheron's call. I've played on Darktide myself, and it's just as much a cesspool in-game as it is on the forum. The fact that anti-pk guilds don't even exist anymore over there is pretty indicative of that.

Maybe it's different in some games, but from the handful that I've played that offer totally FFA, consequence-free  pvp, the deviants normally end up running the place.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

No

When I was younger I would have because I spent more time in these games so I was more focused on raiding. These days I don't have the time nor the desire to focus on raiding anymore so when it comes to end game I actually prefer to do PvP over PvE in most cases besides small group content. Honestly, I enjoy the PvP more anyways than I ever did the raiding if the game actually has some viable PvP available.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Why console PvPer's have shown up in the MMO tab target genre is beyond me.  They constantly complain about balance and things not being fair.  Little do they realize they had the ultimate balance with their FPS console games they came from.  They had it perfect and now the dim developers are trying to balance PvE and PvP together ughhh, which means less fun for everyone.

So yes, I would and much prefer PvE only MMO's. 

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I have and I would

FFXI / FFXIV

Lotro

Anyone who says "BUT THESE GAMES HAVE PVP" is out of their minds.

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

Yes, I would.  And I also like PvP.

The problem is, not many pve games out there have much beyond "Daily Quests" "Quests" and "Dungeons and Raids" and really non-intelligent AI.

Throw in some good platform jumping, puzzles, spikes, secret passages and I would all be about it.  At this point, pve games are not very deep as far as problem solving goes.

I need a challenge.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

I'm just...old.  Non-PVP games were once the norm, before the PKs arrived MMOs even (briefly) avoided it.

It's just "normal", if you started your gaming before MMOs.  PVP's neither a pro nor a minus these days...and fifteen years later, the arguments for/against are essentially identical anyway.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

good question

big YES -- i dont need pvp to have fun

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295

ABSOLUTELY!

99% of the whining and bitching would be gone and the community would be 1000x better. Take LOTRO for example.

• eyeswideopeneyeswideopen Member Posts: 2,414

In a red hot minute!

No constant nerfs/buffs every month to my PvE only toons due to the loudest PvP whiners that month who can't kill every other class in one hit, no constant need for "rebalancing", etc.

-Letting Derek Smart work on your game is like letting Osama bin Laden work in the White House. Something will burn.-
    -And on the 8th day, man created God.-

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

You bet.  Currently playing one right now, EQ Live.

Every new game coming out has PvP for the same reason that most if not all have raiding.  The vocal minorities are exactly that, very vocal and the developers react to it because many of them themselves are raiders and PvPers.  Also, PvP, like raiding, is easier to work with as an end game content regurgitator.  Even though both are niche, they both dominate the MMO end game market.  It's disgusting.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Originally posted by Ramonski7

PvP in MMos (in it's current state )is nothing more than an attempt for delinquents and unskilled FPS players to compare their achievements against themselves in a RPG setting and attempt to use those merits to justify their hardcore status..... They do this because they KNOW they don't have enough skill to accomplish anything when they play actual FPSs.

Either that or it's FPS players that feel the need to justify their inner nerd for MMOs by telling their friends that PvPing in MMOs is actually a thing of importance when it really isn't in a MMO.

But to answer your question, I don't think I would enjoy a PvE only game for too long because it limits the ability to fully commit yourself in a living breathing world and the dangers of coming up on devious players (not to be confused with asshats with an attitude).

Until the ego, self-centered PvPer becomes a minority to the real mentally stable PvPers. I'll take limited PvP servers like those found in WoW. To me it was the perfect balance for PvE and PvP.

I'd say your wrong, only because I believe the good FPS players probably ARE the good MMORPG players.

Unless I'm an exception to the rule, I am always on the top of the end of matches no matter if I'm playing FPS, MMORPG, RTS, MOBA, whatever.

I believe the reason I top charts in MMORPG's is the same reason I top charts in FPS games and MOBA games: Gaming Experience. I know how to exploit the metagame in any game I play. I know how to read information, guides, tips. I know how to figure out what REALLY is the best, and why. I'm also fast and skilled (intelligent?) so I'm sure that helps.

Those who suck at FPS games probably suck at MMORPG's too. Those who rule at MMORPG's are probably NOT horrible FPS players.

• friendfacefriendface Member Posts: 3

I voted NO.

PVP is the primary reason I've played every MMO I've ever subbed to. Why? Because people think, even if only a little, and therefore are more challenging and adaptive than any scripted PVE encounter could ever hope to be.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

No PVP is a major part of an MMORPG for me, ever since EQ and UO  i have enjoyed PVP..

its got to be proper PVP with a reason and open world as well is always better... none fo the battleground nistant crap you get in wow and GW2...

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066
    I do play a MMO that has no PvP at the moment.It used to have FFA PvP but it no longer has those servers.Vanguard is a giant when it comes to PVE.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

PvP, in every single game that triesto balance the two, has a negative effect on PvE.  

ALso, the PvP crowd has a much large % of asshats.

So, purer PvE and less asshattery is a win-win

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

PvP in MMos (in it's current state )is nothing more than an attempt for delinquents and unskilled FPS players to compare their achievements against themselves in a RPG setting and attempt to use those merits to justify their hardcore status..... They do this because they KNOW they don't have enough skill to accomplish anything when they play actual FPSs.

Either that or it's FPS players that feel the need to justify their inner nerd for MMOs by telling their friends that PvPing in MMOs is actually a thing of importance when it really isn't in a MMO.

But to answer your question, I don't think I would enjoy a PvE only game for too long because it limits the ability to fully commit yourself in a living breathing world and the dangers of coming up on devious players (not to be confused with asshats with an attitude).

Until the ego, self-centered PvPer becomes a minority to the real mentally stable PvPers. I'll take limited PvP servers like those found in WoW. To me it was the perfect balance for PvE and PvP.

I'd say your wrong, only because I believe the good FPS players probably ARE the good MMORPG players.

Unless I'm an exception to the rule, I am always on the top of the end of matches no matter if I'm playing FPS, MMORPG, RTS, MOBA, whatever.

I believe the reason I top charts in MMORPG's is the same reason I top charts in FPS games and MOBA games: Gaming Experience. I know how to exploit the metagame in any game I play. I know how to read information, guides, tips. I know how to figure out what REALLY is the best, and why. I'm also fast and skilled (intelligent?) so I'm sure that helps.

and modest too

• DmyankeeDmyankee Member UncommonPosts: 135

yes, pvp always skews the PVE  ...

Artorus Giltanus - Ranger EQ1 Retired
    Arturien - 90 Deathknight WoW

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Voted yes, I try to stay away from MMOs that even include PvP.

• LeegOfChldrnLeegOfChldrn Member Posts: 364

Originally posted by teakbois

Originally posted by LeegOfChldrn

and modest too

The facts were very relevant to the topic. Modesty doesn't exclude speaking the truth when the topic warrants it. If someone says a fact, what's it to you? Does it offend you that I am good at video games or slept through college not paying attention with better test scores than those who studied ridiculously hard? Does it make you feel bad?

I always think it's funny when people get offended that others talk about the fact they're very good at video games, they're smart, etc.

I apologize if it offends you, but yes...I am very intelligent. That's part of the reason I have so much frustration in my life and find it very difficult to find friends I actually enjoy talking to. It's not all roses you know. There is an endless amount of disappointment with society (especially the more educated you become) and a ridiculous amount of boredom that comes from the lack of challenge in some areas. Not everyone is well educated, open minded, and not hyper-sensitive when others are prosperous. It's not easy to have an interesting conversation when other people seem to have a hard time grasping basic concepts or simple facts.

Sometimes I wish I were not, simply for the fact people like you wouldn't make me facepalm constantly, making myself think every post, "...and why are you still posting on these forums?" Fortunately I stay for those rare posters who speak rationally, don't attempt to troll people, and are mature enough to realize cracking a joke every 10 seconds doesn't make you as witty as you may think while smirking in a false sense of forum victory.

Of course, it always helps to add people to my ignore list :)

• Cod_EyeCod_Eye Member UncommonPosts: 1,016

Yes I would, but only if it forced or encouraged grouping.  If I only need to solo my way through a PvE MMO then I just aswel just buy a single player game.

I think its why I still hold a candle for FFXI, If you didnt play ball and behaved like an asshat like some do in other MMO's then you wasnt going to get very far.

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667

I hate to admit this but my mmo play style is mostly solo based crafting.  I enjoy equipping my alts in the best crafted gear possible, then I seek out the best PvE gear from quest and mob drops.  I luved the PvP in the original Planetside.  I have no problem with instanced Battlegrounds (PvP), except the exclusionary practice of gear ranking. 

I am starting to wonder if those who prefer Open World PvP mainly for unwilling, under-equipped, PvE engaged opponents are in fact suffering from a Antisocial Personality Disorder.  I am not a doctor and this is not medical advice, only my honest concern.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• thorwoodthorwood Member Posts: 485

I would play a pure PvE game with no PvP.

I would not play a PvP game where PvP is non-consentual. 

I will play a PvE game that has consentual PvP as I can choose to play  it as a PvE game. By consentual PvP, I mean PvP is restricted to battlegrounds or players can join open world pvp if they chose to flag themselves for PvP.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

I would not play an MMO without pvp. I will not even play a MMO these days that does not have open world PVP. I see no point in paying a monthly fee to play arena deathmatches.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"