Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xsyon = editable terrain like Wurm Online with twitch based PVP

1234568»

Comments

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211

If they manage to implement their feature list well it could be a very good game. I'll be watching this.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by davmac22

We all hope your wrong.  If this one does not work out, I think I am done with MMOs for awhile.  Too many junk indie MMOs recently and too many junk themepark ones.

If this doesn't work out, don't write off the industry. There's a ton of reasons why MMOs might not go the direction expected. Mostly... Sometimes shit just gets weird.  

- New Source Gaming's Fasaria World

- Glitchless' DAWN

- Rapid Reality's The Chronicle and Africa

- Red Dragon Software's Rune Conquest

There's probably plenty of others that can be listed. And then, honestly, I expect to see quite a few people over the course of the next year (until fans and fansites alike catch on) calling themselves game developers just because they added a few scripts and textures to the zone they made in RealmCrafter or some other $200 MMO Kit (No, NSG, I don't include you in that group).

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• weirdtimesweirdtimes Member Posts: 52

People need to realize the one HUGE flaw about this game, truly read the features....your character ages, and loses stats as they age, so what the longer you play the worse you get?, if I wanted that I wouldn't play games, life has enough of that.

The fact is, the screenies are well developed but even the new site is tacky it is low quality and I have seen better sites from freewebs.com lol

The fact is, these guys are like Mortal Online, good concept, but its going to be a complete failure

Oh and take away that aging BS, it ruins any good that could come from it

Games Waiting for: FF14, Tera Online, Blade and Soul, and Rift

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516
    Originally posted by weirdtimes

People need to realize the one HUGE flaw about this game, truly read the features....your character ages, and loses stats as they age, so what the longer you play the worse you get?, if I wanted that I wouldn't play games, life has enough of that.

It's just a game feature.

If you don't like it, don't play.

I think it's interesting.  D&D the pen and paper version used to have a mechanism for tracking your age.  You're wisdom would go up as you strength dropped for example.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

Mechanic*

and second off, there is a reason people don't implement that feature into games, say you play a game for 4 years, are you going to want to keep playing if your character is getting worse at what you want them to do?, so that new players have a better chance in the game than you do?, Idk we will have to see how they implement it, other features look good if they could actually make it work and not seem so sketchy that most people avoid it like the plague

• alucard3000alucard3000 Member Posts: 414

and even if they do pull this off somewhat the idea of being a post apocalyptic theme and not having firearms sry to me it will only be a fantasy based mmo with just a different skin

• davmac22davmac22 Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by alucard3000

and even if they do pull this off somewhat the idea of being a post apocalyptic theme and not having firearms sry to me it will only be a fantasy based mmo with just a different skin

It is still more interesting watching this than playing that broken open beta mortal online has.

imageimageimage

Originally posted by davmac22

It is still more interesting watching this than playing that broken open beta mortal online has.

This I can agree with, Mortal Online was a great concept but a terrible, quickened, not finished beta

Developers need to remember why gaming was started, to bring creativity to a visual and interactive state, stop letting your creativity be halter by your fans, they will remain your fans if your game is good, if its not, it doesn't matter anyways because they will move on.

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

If they do pull it off, there will be firearms... eventually. The game is supposed to evolve in phases. New technologies enter the game world as players discover them. That's one of the biggest selling points of the game for those that are interested in it. As for the aging mechanic, that's hardly going to be noticable the first couple of years after launch. If the game is still going strong after that long, you can probably choose to keep playing as your own offspring or something similar if you don't like the idea of stat changes due to age. If you are too obsessed with numbers to adapt to dynamic gameplay mechanics, the game probably won't appeal to you even if they miraculously implement every announced feature perfectly, though.

Edit: Sorry, didn't notice that you weren't the one who posted saying aging was an awful feature. :p

• rhinokrhinok Member UncommonPosts: 1,798
    Originally posted by Zyonne

Originally posted by jamigre

I smell big stinky vaporware!

Those screens look pre-rendered, the site runs of a joomla install, just look at the source, their list of deliverables would make SOE tremble at the time and dough it would take to develop something this sizable, and finally, how many games do you know where the devs talk to the community frequently? none, why? cause they're freggin busy that's why.
    Also, how about before you ask people to pre-order you at least post a video of some in game footage, or head to a conference, I mean Aventurine even did it, and those guys didnt say anything, FE did it, and they're indy. MO, for all its faults, had a beta, players and people there's, there was in game footage.
    This thing is a S.C.A.M. Scam. willing to put a few chips on that one, and if it is real, good for them, we need more indy games with cojones, but I highly highly doubt this thing is anything more than a well themed joomla install.

Also,. you want, check out Jordi Grau Davis' Facebook Profile here, his cousin in BCN - Maurici Grau Ribes, and http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexeyegoshin - lead developer,
    if most of the team is in Russia, I'm reckoning the development was/is outsourced.

I can't argue that it's not a scam since there's not enough proof either way. I don't think your arguments for why it must be a scam are worth much, though.

1. Announcing that something is vaporware a few days after it has been announced, and a few weeks before it supposedly launches, is just silly. Either it launches and it's real, or it fails to launch after people have paid for the pre-order and it's a scam.
    2. I don't get your gripe with Joomla. There's no cheaper way to make, and maintain a semi-professional website. It makes perfect sense for an indie developer to make use of such tools so they don't need to use programmers' time on the website. Granted, an open source CMS is also a great tool for creating a scam website, but the only thing it proves is that they are not willing to invest a huge amount of time and money in the website right now.
    3. Developers tend to talk to their communities frequently until it grows to a size where it is no longer practical to do so without going through a community manager. In other words, AAA companies very rarely do so because their titles get hyped from day one after being announced. Indie developers can usually afford to do so almost up until launch. It's got nothing to do with time constraints, just professionalism and how every statement by a developer is taken as official and might backfire if not thought through.
    4. There's nothing wrong with putting up the pre-order button early. I agree that it would be naive to actually make use of it right now, but assuming the game is not a scam, some people are already in beta or have inside information that gives them reason to pre-order. The earlier account creation/management and payment systems are tested, the better. 6 weeks is not a very long time, and they'd have to come up with a very good excuse not to release a video and some screenshots of GUI etc in the coming week. If that looks satisfactory, there'll be more reason to trust they have a real product to offer, and the pre-order functionality will already be in place.
    5. Yes, a lot of the development is definitely outsourced. How is that a problem? A few of the russians have apparently studied in the US, so communication shouldn't be a problem, and there are plenty of native english speakers to produce all the text players will actually see. Outsourcing is, and always will be, the way to go for companies that don't have money to burn.

Is the game "too good to be true"? Probably. Is it a scam? Maybe, but a poorly executed one if so. If they had an NDA in place, no announced launch date, and appealed more to the mass-market, I'd be more inclined to think so. I for one am looking forward to seeing what the next few weeks will bring. The only reason to scream "SCAM!" and "VAPORWARE!" now is so you can go "I told you so!" afterwards if it turns out you're right. If it's actually a good game, you can just go play it without commenting on it again. Win, win, right?

I really don't get the hate and name calling, either.  That being said, there are definitely warning signs, as indicated in my first post.  The new website offers a little more transparency, but the bottom line is people are still being asked to take a risk and preorder a game for which there's virtually no concrete information other than hyperbole.

• For a company that's been around since 2007 (according to the public corporation information for the State of Nevada), there's no website for the actual developer, doesn't appear to be a physical location or even a public phone number.  Just a PO Box and a number registered directly to Jordi Grau Davis.  Yes, it appears that the development has all been outsourced, which would explain the lack of a physical office (I myself work from home), but the combination of all seems suspect.  Now, even the address and phone number appear to have been removed from the new website.
    • The game sprang into the public awareness with no warning, but with immediate opportunities to preorder, even though there's no actual game footage or even screen shots of the UI.
    • "Prelude" seems to straddle the line between "ultimate sandbox" and "charge players to build the world for us so that we can sell it to  other players"

Those are red flags, but I'm not saying the game is a scam, nor am I saying it's vaporware.  In fact, I think they're probably legitimate, but extremely independent, low budget and inexperienced at developing and marketing a MMO.  They may succeed, and I hope they do, but they've got an uphill battle to success unless they can demonstrate they've got an incredible and stable product, as well as sufficient capital to maintain development, service and support.  I'm going to wait and see what they're able to deliver.

~Ripper

• ZyonneZyonne Member Posts: 259

Rhinok, yes, I agree there are warning signs. It just annoys me when someone presents suspicions as proof. Common sense says you should never preorder a game based on screenshots and an ambitious feature list, so for anyone with "common sense" it doesn't matter if it's a scam or not at this point. Once more media and user feedback is available, it might be worth discussing whether it seems real or not, but right now it's pointless. You can never proove anything based on a lack of information, just question why it's not available.

Rhinok, yes, I agree there are warning signs. It just annoys me when someone presents suspicions as proof. Common sense says you should never preorder a game based on screenshots and an ambitious feature list, so for anyone with "common sense" it doesn't matter if it's a scam or not at this point. Once more media and user feedback is available, it might be worth discussing whether it seems real or not, but right now it's pointless. You can never proove anything based on a lack of information, just question why it's not available.

/agree - good points.

~Ripper

Like it

imageimageimage

• nutsoddsnutsodds Member Posts: 89

definitely many people are worried about this new game..LOL (sarcastic)

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

Xyson has been added to game list.

Will dominate hype list soon.

May or may not get burned by players in 3 weeks.

Hype train -> Reality

• VowOfSilenceVowOfSilence Member UncommonPosts: 565

you'll get to rediscover the ruins of civilisation and lost technology in later stage of the game.

Hype train -> Reality

• bartillobartillo Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

you'll get to rediscover the ruins of civilisation and lost technology in later stage of the game.

ya devs said gun powder and more technlogy will eventually be discovered.. like at the start your just hunter and gathers.. but soon youll develop agriculture, gun powder, etc..

• yorkforceyorkforce Member UncommonPosts: 160
    Originally posted by VowOfSilence

You mean in 2015 after they got the features to work and added 28 more textures to please the 32 pre order players who refuse to allow any waste of their money at which point their characters will be too old to build a camp fire let alone a city?

Sorry but this is a cop out not a game feature, cant you guys see it? You going to pay $40 for a lake, 3 tents and a bear. Then in 6 months you might get a hill with mud hut and some deer...

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

They might not have firearms but it's nice to see that, after the apocalypse, the hip-hop culture is alive and kicking.

Either these guys are rapping or throwing up gang signs... Or both.

Originally posted by heartless

They might not have firearms but it's nice to see that, after the apocalypse, the hip-hop culture is alive and kicking.
    Either these guys are rapping or throwing up gang signs... Or both.

Gang signs are used when they cast their magic (lol jk!)

imageimageimage

• osmundaosmunda Member Posts: 1,087

One more red flag.  This one starts to approach the level of proof.  SOMEONE is posing as members of the Mortal Online community to give the impression that there is a migration of people to xsyon.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/271637/best-guild-Myrmidon-is-leaving-mortal-online-for-xsyon.html

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by osmunda

One more red flag.  This one starts to approach the level of proof.  SOMEONE is posing as members of the Mortal Online community to give the impression that there is a migration of people to xsyon.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/271637/best-guild-Myrmidon-is-leaving-mortal-online-for-xsyon.html

Proof? Man, that doesn't even come close to being a red flag. The only thing its approaching is suspicious paranoia. Do you even realize how many people register at MMORPG.com, have a low post count, and say something ridiculous and completely untrue? If only I had a penny for every time that happened!

• uquipuuquipu Member Posts: 1,516

If Xsyon comes out with all those features and WoW like quality, it will devastate Darkfall, Mortal Online and other games.

The niche it's aiming for isn't that big of a market share, imo.

But I suspect it will be buggy and unpolished.  But here's to hoping.

Well shave my back and call me an elf! -- Oghren

• MrDDTMrDDT Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by rhinok

For a company that's been around since 2007 (according to the public corporation information for the State of Nevada), there's no website for the actual developer, doesn't appear to be a physical location or even a public phone number.  Just a PO Box and a number registered directly to Jordi Grau Davis.  Yes, it appears that the development has all been outsourced, which would explain the lack of a physical office (I myself work from home), but the combination of all seems suspect.  Now, even the address and phone number appear to have been removed from the new website.
    The game sprang into the public awareness with no warning, but with immediate opportunities to preorder, even though there's no actual game footage or even screen shots of the UI.
    "Prelude" seems to straddle the line between "ultimate sandbox" and "charge players to build the world for us so that we can sell it to  other players"

Those are red flags, but I'm not saying the game is a scam, nor am I saying it's vaporware.  In fact, I think they're probably legitimate, but extremely independent, low budget and inexperienced at developing and marketing a MMO.  They may succeed, and I hope they do, but they've got an uphill battle to success unless they can demonstrate they've got an incredible and stable product, as well as sufficient capital to maintain development, service and support.  I'm going to wait and see what they're able to deliver.
    ~Ripper

Ive known about this game for years, its was just public posted but doesnt mean it hasnt been worked on.

You act like all the devs in games post there address and phone numbers on a website.

The last point you try to make there about building the world and being charged for it, to me isnt a bad thing nor a red flag its a nice option that people that like Sandbox type games want to do.

You are thinking this game is going to be a PVP free for all like DFO, you will be mistaken. Its a SANDBOX type game look at the features. PVP is going to be part of it, but you need to look deeper to understand its like building a world. The people that are going to be in "early release" are going to start building up that world and making history for the game.

I think the best bet is to wait and see, wait for video, wait for feed back, wait for players to explain how things are good or bad. Then make your choices.

Saying its a scam or likely a scam based on little to no info is pretty bad. Worse is you talk about history of how other games failed etc. Last I checked there wasnt a "scam" MMO released that I played, or wanted to play. The closest is Dark and Light and it had videos, playable beta etc.

-MrDDT

If you've known about it for years, then you have privileged information.  The general gaming world, including the gaming press, knew nothing of it's existence prior to a press release in January, 2010. Even then, that flew under the radar until the game started being hyped last month and new information was released. 

You either miss or deliberately try to obfuscate my other points.  No, I don't think the devs should post their personal contact information.  Yes, I know the game is a sandbox. 

~Ripper