Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning: Scenario List Revised...Again!

MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community ManagerQueens, NYPosts: 5,717Administrator Uncommon

We previously reported that version 1.3.4 of Warhammer Online had hit the public test servers, bringing with it an entirely revised scenario structure. That scenario structure has been revised, yet again, due in part to negative player feedback. WAR Community Coordinator Andy Belford outlines the re-revised scenario list in an In Development post on the official WAR forums.

Initially, the revised scenario list was as follows:

* Tier 1

- Nordenwatch

- Gates of Ekrund

* Tier 2

- Nordenwatch

- Gates of Ekrund

- Mourkain Temple

* Tier 3

- Nordenwatch

- Gates of Ekrund

- Mourkain Temple

- Phoenix Gate

- Highpass Cemetery

* Tier 4

- Nordenwatch

- Gates of Ekrund

- Mourkain Temple

- Phoenix Gate

- Highpass Cemetery

- Battle for Praag

Apparently, people weren't as thrilled as I was at this announcement. At least to me, the list looked perfect.

The re-revised list looks like this: 

* Tier 1

- Nordenwatch

- Gates of Ekrund

- Weekend Warfront

* Tier 2

- Nordenwatch

- Reikland Factory

- Mourkain Temple

- Weekend Warfront

* Tier 3

- Nordenwatch

- Tor Anroc

- Reikland Factory

- Lost Temple of Isha

- Weekend Warfront

* Tier 4

- Nordenwatch

- Serpent's Passage

- Reikland Factory

- Lost Temple of Isha

- Caledor Woods

- Weekend Warfront

- Battle for Praag

In other words, meh! You might also be wondering, what the heck is Weekend Warfront? Which has been added to every tier.  The gist of it is that basically every weekend a different scenario will rotate into that Weekend Warfront slot. Weekend Warfront scenarios will also contribute to the campaign.

Read below for the currently planned Weekend Warfront schedule:


  • 1.3.4 Live + 1 week: Scurvy Dogs with the all new 6v6 Scenario “The Ironclad”.

  • 1.3.4 Live + 2 weeks: High Pass Cemetery.

  • 1.3.4 Live + 3 weeks: Howling Gorge.

  • 1.3.4 Live + 4 weeks: Black Fire Basin.

  • …and so on.

Andy also mentions that the Weekend Warfront system can also be used to spin-off current scenarios using different rulesets.

Read the original post here.

What do you think of the re-revised scenario structure? Let us know in the comments below!

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

Comments

  • astrob0yastrob0y stockholmPosts: 702Member

    Oh. Hopefully it will be a great change. What do you war vets say about it?

    I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

  • RaevanhawkRaevanhawk dothan, LAPosts: 86Member

    Went back to DAOC about a month ago and having a blast....that's what I say about WAR.

  • MandaloreMandalore ObernkirchenPosts: 79Member Uncommon

    The new list is better.

    Ekrund and Mourkain are to small and Bomb-Groups have to many benefits on these maps.

    Its a good step and i hope the will have the courage to test really new rulesets in the WWF (^^) scenarios :)

     

    -------------------------------------
    WAR: inactive
    DAoC: inactive
    RIFT: Lvl60 Kelari Rogue
    GW2: Lvl80 Norn Ranger
    TSW: Illuminati

  • FrobnerFrobner REykjavPosts: 649Member

    I really dont care.  WAR is in endless maintenance mode.

     

    [Mod Edit]

  • GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Burlington, VTPosts: 374Member





    Although I'm no longer playing WAR, I must admit that my immediate reaction to the first list was, 'another bone-headed move by the decision-makers over at Mythic! How in God's Name could they leave out Reikland Factory?' Now we have a new list and wouldn't you know it, there is Reikland Factory.



    It just seems like this dev team doesn't get 'it' at times. I don't know if this is due to the one (or few) calling the shots or the team as a whole. Whomever they may be, they are simply out of touch with this game and it's community.



    Too many times have I cringed at a decision Mythic has or hasn't made, only to find out my instinct was right. Now, I'm no genius, but how else do you screw something up this badly. They were given the "Golden Goose" yet how many servers are they down to now 4-5. That kind of crash and burn would lead me to believe that it's poor decision making on someone's part.

    Your fail comment, failed.

  • describabledescribable EdinburghPosts: 406Member

    Not much has actually changed though... i mean the game needs an engine overhaul a la "eve".

    The game needs actual content, maybe an expansion looming  ....

    just seems to be delaying the inevital death throes... a game with more live events than new content. The land of the dead content was hardly fantastic.. anything else was made for a "live event" (the reikland factory for example) or was intended to be in the game from the beginning. (like the other cities.. cough).

    Just doesn't look good for the game, some of mythic is now at bioware.. some is at UO... most have been laid off (not laid)...

    ack... seems a waste of a wonderful story enriched fantasy setting. (since i haven't played for a while i hope the AoE  bomb effect is no longer present)

    I just hope THQ come good with 40k.

    "nothing actually matters, we're just slightly evolved monkeys clinging to a dying piece of rock hurtling through space waiting for our eventual death." - Frankie Boyle, Mock The Week

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,609Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr






    Although I'm no longer playing WAR, I must admit that my immediate reaction to the first list was, 'another bone-headed move by the decision-makers over at Mythic! How in God's Name could they leave out Reikland Factory?' Now we have a new list and wouldn't you know it, there is Reikland Factory.



    It just seems like this dev team doesn't get 'it' at times. I don't know if this is due to the one (or few) calling the shots or the team as a whole. Whomever they may be, they are simply out of touch with this game and it's community.



    Too many times have I cringed at a decision Mythic has or hasn't made, only to find out my instinct was right. Now, I'm no genius, but how else do you screw something up this badly. They were given the "Golden Goose" yet how many servers are they down to now 4-5. That kind of crash and burn would lead me to believe that it's poor decision making on someone's part.



     

    You're absolutely right but this has always been the Mythic way. I'm well aquainted with Mythic (DAOC and WAR,) Turbine (Asheron's Call, DDO, LOTRO) and Blizzard and they all behave differently. Both Turbine and Blizzard seem to be able to surprise us with new ideas or new twists on the old and they get it right much more often than not.

    Mythic, on the other hand, has always been sort of hit and miss: sometimes they get it right but more often they do things that we can only shake our heads at and say "WTF?" Historically they've had a mistrustful and downright combative relationship with their players. They virtually had to be dragged kicking and screaming into creating their own (still crappy... did they invent their own?) boards years after the others had done so. And even now, their interactions and participation in that board are spotty at best and usually consist of making an announcement or soliciting (and later ignoring) feedback on their interest of the day. I've always gotten elitist and  paranoid vibes from them.

    It's fashionable to blame EA for the downfall of WAR but, imho, the seeds of their ultimate demise have been there for a long time before EA came on the scene.

  • lucabrasilucabrasi Indy, INPosts: 43Member

    IMO, WAR screwed up a long time ago when they added the land of the dead instead of adding the other 4 city capitals they originally had planned. If they would have took this route, I would most likely still be playing the game.

  • jakinjakin somewhere, ONPosts: 243Member Common

    The phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" would seem to be apt - except they're not so much rearranging as throwing a few chairs overboard with some half-baked expectation that action will somehow right the ship.

    The core problem still remains, be the list new or old.  A hypothetical new player would still probably be playing Nordenwatch or Reikland Factory for roughly half of their WAR career.  Nordenwatch gets all this good press - but it gets very stale after playing it through several times, as does the Factory.  Nordenwatch particularily doesn't scale all that well as it goes up the tiers (IMO of course).

    The dev team's strategy really eludes me lately.  They're either taking away content, or giving it away for free, and somehow that's supposed to grow the game somehow?  I mean, presuming that's even the hope and they're not just trying to look busy to avoid any more EA staff cuts.

    WAR was the most genuine fun I've had in an MMO for a long time.  Though it had it's problems the base system was very enjoyable - but without constant development a game gets stale, and WAR is a month-old bagel at this point.

  • GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Burlington, VTPosts: 374Member
    Originally posted by Iselin

    Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr






    Although I'm no longer playing WAR, I must admit that my immediate reaction to the first list was, 'another bone-headed move by the decision-makers over at Mythic! How in God's Name could they leave out Reikland Factory?' Now we have a new list and wouldn't you know it, there is Reikland Factory.



    It just seems like this dev team doesn't get 'it' at times. I don't know if this is due to the one (or few) calling the shots or the team as a whole. Whomever they may be, they are simply out of touch with this game and it's community.



    Too many times have I cringed at a decision Mythic has or hasn't made, only to find out my instinct was right. Now, I'm no genius, but how else do you screw something up this badly. They were given the "Golden Goose" yet how many servers are they down to now 4-5. That kind of crash and burn would lead me to believe that it's poor decision making on someone's part.



     

    You're absolutely right but this has always been the Mythic way. I'm well aquainted with Mythic (DAOC and WAR,) Turbine (Asheron's Call, DDO, LOTRO) and Blizzard and they all behave differently. Both Turbine and Blizzard seem to be able to surprise us with new ideas or new twists on the old and they get it right much more often than not.

    Mythic, on the other hand, has always been sort of hit and miss: sometimes they get it right but more often they do things that we can only shake our heads at and say "WTF?" Historically they've had a mistrustful and downright combative relationship with their players. They virtually had to be dragged kicking and screaming into creating their own (still crappy... did they invent their own?) boards years after the others had done so. And even now, their interactions and participation in that board are spotty at best and usually consist of making an announcement or soliciting (and later ignoring) feedback on their interest of the day. I've always gotten elitist and  paranoid vibes from them.

    It's fashionable to blame EA for the downfall of WAR but, imho, the seeds of their ultimate demise have been there for a long time before EA came on the scene.



    I agree, completely. In no way was I implying that their demise had anything to do with EA. As far as I can tell from what I've read, Mythic was pretty much given more than adequate money, resources, and freedom to do with Warhammer as they deemed fit. But, of course, those sources could be wrong.




     

    Your fail comment, failed.

  • GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Burlington, VTPosts: 374Member
    Originally posted by lucabrasi


    IMO, WAR screwed up a long time ago when they added the land of the dead instead of adding the other 4 city capitals they originally had planned. If they would have took this route, I would most likely still be playing the game.



    Yes, this was one of the decisions that had me shaking my head. Not necessarily the content, but the timing and the choice to have one faction locked out of content. To me there were just too many core issues affecting the game to release that expansion when they did. Nobody cares about new content when the old content is still broken in so many places or worse, non-existent.











     

    Your fail comment, failed.

  • GreenLanternFanGreenLanternFan Burlington, VTPosts: 374Member
    Originally posted by jakin


    The phrase "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic" would seem to be apt - except they're not so much rearranging as throwing a few chairs overboard with some half-baked expectation that action will somehow right the ship.
    The core problem still remains, be the list new or old.  A hypothetical new player would still probably be playing Nordenwatch or Reikland Factory for roughly half of their WAR career.  Nordenwatch gets all this good press - but it gets very stale after playing it through several times, as does the Factory.  Nordenwatch particularily doesn't scale all that well as it goes up the tiers (IMO of course).
    The dev team's strategy really eludes me lately.  They're either taking away content, or giving it away for free, and somehow that's supposed to grow the game somehow?  I mean, presuming that's even the hope and they're not just trying to look busy to avoid any more EA staff cuts.
    WAR was the most genuine fun I've had in an MMO for a long time.  Though it had it's problems the base system was very enjoyable - but without constant development a game gets stale, and WAR is a month-old bagel at this point.



    Lol, this nearly had me pissing my pants. Thank you for that.



    That is, for the most part, what I have been getting at. Their priorities with this game, never seemed in proper order.




     

    Your fail comment, failed.

  • lucabrasilucabrasi Indy, INPosts: 43Member
    Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr

    It just seems like this dev team doesn't get 'it' at times. I don't know if this is due to the one (or few) calling the shots or the team as a whole. Whomever they may be, they are simply out of touch with this game and it's community.





     

    I have felt this way from day one of the game, I loved it and spent a lot of time playing it but it was the choices that the dev's made that made me quit the game. It's a real shame too, they had a great game if they would have just taken the right steps to improve it.

  • lucabrasilucabrasi Indy, INPosts: 43Member
    Originally posted by MrcdesOwnr


    Yes, this was one of the decisions that had me shaking my head. Not necessarily the content, but the timing and the choice to have one faction locked out of content. To me there were just too many core issues affecting the game to release that expansion when they did. Nobody cares about new content when the old content is still broken in so many places or worse, non-existent.











     



     

    It was the content though. Imagine if they put in the other cities that they had planned on in pre-production. The rvr would have been much more fun and more stratagy in place, other than city sieges on one city. IMO, they catered way too much to the pve customer with the land of the dead content. You can most definately see this in how much more powerful the pve weapons are compared to the rvr weapons. I think this scenario push is because of this fact, everyone was fed up with the city sieges. If they would have developed the other cities this would not have been as big of an issue. I also disagreed with the removal of forts in the game instead of just toning them done somehow. If they would have done all this ( developing the 6 cities like they said or had the full game in place at release, and not gotten rid of the fortresses ) the sovereign gear could have been the gear to have, and most difficult to get. This vision would have also made the sov gear the hardest to get. It is not my vision, but the vision that the dev's had at one point in production of WAR. I sooo wish they would have stuck to thier guns on this one. It truly could have been one of the best rvr (pvp) games on the market right now.

  • AlienovrlordAlienovrlord San Antonio, TXPosts: 1,525Member

    If this revised list was in response to player complaints, I guess they had the same opinions as I did when I saw the list.

    They got rid of that absolutely wretched Phoenix Gate scenario and put Tor Annoc with its lava back in.   And Reikland Factory, one of the best scenarios I ever played in WAR was put on the list.   Maybe Mythic is really listening to their players now instead of forcing junk down their throats.   It almost makes me want to take a look at WAR again for a month and see what it's like.  

  • MaendauronMaendauron MelbournePosts: 118Member

    I like the new list as well.

    Tell me how someone says 'meh!' with the exclamation mark?

     

     

  • mjkittredgemjkittredge Nashua, NHPosts: 126Member

    I'm going to miss both Khaines Embrace and Phoenix Gate

     

    Khaines Embrace - does it ever get old watching people get annihilated by the massive novas? Beyond that, there's a bit of strategy - do you stay and defend, or go through the tunnels or go around, or split up? And you can run back to your guards if you're in trouble. I've had lots of great battles on this SC

     

    Phoenix Gate - Lots of places to ambush from, like the ledges or the trees or around the walls. Plus those ballista to shoot people! Good variety, combination of open spaces and choke points. Had lots of fun battles in this SC too.

     

    WHY remove those? Am I some weirdo and everyone else hates them? People certainly Qed up for and played both of em hard on a regular basis...

  • URMAKERURMAKER slidell, LAPosts: 632Member Uncommon

    not even the slightest urge to resub.

    image

  • gszebegszebe PPosts: 214Member

    Much better than the original plan last week. *thumbs up*

  • SquishemSquishem Los Angeles, CAPosts: 9Member

    This company laughed at its subscribers when asked, "Why do I get killed instantly from bright wizards?" Their answer was learn to play. And it took them 1 year to make serious changes and fire a lot of people including Mark Jacobs -General Manager of Mythic. Escape goat anyone?

    Anybody still playing this game has really got to love abuse and doesn't know the quality of a, "GOOD" video game.

    No matter what they do...

    What once was will never be, and what is left now, is just pathetic.

  • Lizard_SFLizard_SF New Albany, INPosts: 348Member
    Originally posted by Squishem


    This company laughed at its subscribers when asked, "Why do I get killed instantly from bright wizards?" Their answer was learn to play. And it took them 1 year to make serious changes and fire a lot of people including Mark Jacobs -General Manager of Mythic. Escape goat anyone?
    Anybody still playing this game has really got to love abuse and doesn't know the quality of a, "GOOD" video game.
    No matter what they do...
    What once was will never be, and what is left now, is just pathetic.

     

    Escape goat?

    ESCAPE GOAT????????

    There is neither a face nor a palm large enough.

    Sigh.

     

  • Lizard_SFLizard_SF New Albany, INPosts: 348Member

    On a more on-topic note, what's with the "All Nordenwatch, All The Time" thing?

    I stopped playing WAR in early August, because the constant server merges and guild collapses basically left the game unplayably dull - not enough people for regular scenario pops or open RVR. It seems to me the answer is not fewer scenarios, but more. If the problem was that only some were being queued for, leaving others underplayed, the solution is obvious -- you queue for a Tier, not a scenario. What you get is random. Scenarios aid world RVR based on total victories of one side or the other, not based on their location in the game world, which was already tenuous at best.

    Anyway, while other games continue to add new content and expansions, even if their player base is small (see: Conan), WAR seems to be stripping content -- removed fortresses, everyone starts in Empire, reduced scenarios -- we won't even mention that the plan to "rotate in" the other capitals has been quietly dropped by the wayside.

    Sigh. It was a lot of fun for a while, but when a game closes 70 servers over the course of a year... there's really not much hope.

Sign In or Register to comment.