Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SoE Clone Wars game confirmed

13»

Comments

• JestorRodoJestorRodo Member UncommonPosts: 2,642

Originally posted by TUX426
    Originally posted by j1flaw  I'd definitely expect SOE or LA to break the ice this summer.

SoE already did lol ;)
    From their goof, I would assume The Agency and Clone Wars to be out about the same time. MC, you know a lot more about The Agency than I do, but do you think it could be ready by fall? I just don't see them updating the launcher beyond 6-8months.

I still have doubts about The Agency happening at all. The Devs that started Detonator Games took the backbone out of that project and now its just a gelatinous blob of wasted development dollars for SOE that they are to afraid to admit too.

Unaware of the Jestor?
    http://about.me/JestorRodo/

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

So do they have fine print when you sign up for the station pass?  I imagine it would have to say something like: "games listed may not actually be available, may be closed at any time, or may never actually launch."

If they don't have a disclaimer like this somewhere, I smell another customer relations fiasco.

Let's have some fun with this ^_^. 

-Which games on the list do not actually exist?

-Which do you think may be closed at any time due to population problems?

-Which may never actually go live?

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856

nope i just checked !

there is everquest (1)

everquest (1)macintosh

etc and all the regular game but no clone war if it was there they removed it

maybe its the macintosh version of everquest that wasnt there?

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by Malickie

Originally posted by Bob_Blawblaw

I checked earlier, and it was there. Checked again just now, and it's gone.
    Plus the thread on the O-board about it just got locked.
    Cat out of the bag SOE. WTG.

Okay I'm putting my tinfoil hat on for this:

What better way to let the cat out of the bag, when they might not be allowed to? We all know how LA is with secrecy over anything SW related. They rarely announce a project until it's a few months away (ready for hyping and airtime).

SOE seems to be trying to remind people they're still around in any way possible, giving away game time (months worth) to compete with STO. Now this, why would they put it there in this manner in the first place, if they didn't want people to see it? They seem to be trying to build up hype and nothing more IMO. They're using an "accident" or "slip up" as an excuse for doing so it seems, its hilarious..

Basically, what you're saying is that they "Pulled an Apple" ;)

I don't necessarily disagree.  It seems to be the latest style of marketing.  Even Bioware has done it.

• TUX426TUX426 Member Posts: 1,907
    Originally posted by Obraik

I don't necessarily disagree.  It seems to be the latest style of marketing.  Even Bioware has done it.

Uh huh. With all the talk of STO and SWToR, SoE probably felt left out. I don't think there's even a chance it was accidental...if there's going to be industry buzz, they want to be a part of it.

Uh huh. With all the talk of STO and SWToR, SoE probably felt left out. I don't think there's even a chance it was accidental...if there's going to be industry buzz, they want to be a part of it.

Tux has got that right, The only thing that works hard over at SOE is their marketing team...The rest well ( insert your own remark here).

Unaware of the Jestor?

Friends enjoy his classic Vblog - https://www.facebook.com/GoodOldReliableNathan

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

You may all hate SoE now but I bet anything that if that clone wars game turns out to be Pre-Cu 2 you will all nerdgazm.

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

You may all hate SoE now but I bet anything that if that clone wars game turns out to be Pre-Cu 2 you will all nerdgazm.

There might be 2 chances of that happening with the "tween" browser based "Free Realms" type engine.  Slim and None.  OK, just 1 chance, NONE.

Huh?

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860
    Originally posted by JestorRodo

Tux has got that right, The only thing that works hard over at SOE is their marketing team...The rest well ( insert your own remark here).

yep. i bet they are calling their standard market research group right now to explain to them what games are or should be like.

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Wizardry

Originally posted by sinjin

Originally posted by Goparu

It's SOE so I wont play it.

QFEx1Jabillion

SoE hasn't produced one game worth a damn, that includes Everquest I.  Yeah I said it, game was bad then and it is bad now.

Well since EVERY game on the market other than FFXI has copied EQ,what game would you say has been created that is any good?

None of these other games surpass EQ2 for graphics or content,other than of course FFXI witch has the most content outside the normal of any game on the market.So to claim there is another game that is better ,when they all copy and have a lesser system,then it would just be SOE hate for no reason other than to hate.

Well there is one game i have yet to play and that is LOTR,but i know Turbine well,and they are not a great developer,so i highly doubt LOTR is that one game you can claim is better than anything SOE has made,however i could be wrong,like i said i never tried LOTR.Oh yes i have yet to play DF,but i have seen a ton of video game play and other DF related content,to know it is more laughable than good.

I usually ride with most of your posts but this is purely opinion just like the guy you are responding to, if for no other reason you said EQ2 is on thehigh end in graphical prowess while I think it is one of the worse looking games I've ever seen, granted I don't like SOE's graphical style but I thought EQ@ was worse than there usual mess.

And I obviously disagree that Turbine is not a great developer and just for some ammunition I'd put there reputation with there paying customers up against SOE's any day.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• Trident9259Trident9259 Member UncommonPosts: 860

its going to be a game run on free realms engine - ie your web browser and i bet anything that the fact thats its about the clone wars and what SOE has done to SWG should give you a clue to the direction they will take will this game.

and even in the remote chance they are making a pre-cu 2 with this game the only guarantee i will take to make me sign up that professions will not be deleted or the game nerfed is if smedley resigns (or sacked) and raph koster is running it.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

$OE now brings MMORPG's to text browsers. Good to see they step back from real  games.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

$OE now brings MMORPG's to text browsers. Good to see they step back from real  games.

FreeRealms isn't really a browser game and if this new game is based on the same engine, neither will it.  FreeRealms simply uses the browser to launch its client, which it installs locally on your PC when you first try and launch it.  I believe there's some type of streaming done with the client, so you're not downloading the full client when you run it and only download what you access.

FreeRealms isn't really a browser game and if this new game is based on the same engine, neither will it.  FreeRealms simply uses the browser to launch its client, which it installs locally on your PC when you first try and launch it.  I believe there's some type of streaming done with the client, so you're not downloading the full client when you run it and only download what you access.

Obriak is right. Clone Wars may be a bit goofy and aimed at a "broader" (younger) base, but don't mistake it as some "browser" game like Word Racer from Yahoo...Free Realms was actually QUITE impressive and I'm confident Clone Wars will appeal to a much broader audience than some may think.

I'll put it this way...Free Realms, visually, looks better than SWG to me. It has color, depth, textures, collision...toons and objects are typical fantasy goofy crap, but they look quite good for a game that didn't require 10GB to install.

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Free Realms looks better than some client based games. If that's stepping back I'll give'em a jet pack to expedite the process.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Free Realms looks better than some client based games. If that's stepping back I'll give'em a jet pack to expedite the process.

Free realms is a client based game.  I does not run in a browser.

http://kotaku.com/5495597/is-there-another-star-wars-mmo-on-the-horizon?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+kotaku%2Ffull+%28Kotaku%29
    Kotaku is claiming a Fall release.
    That is all I have to say about that.

This is a shame. The Relationship Between LEC and SOE should have end with the soon death of SWG_NGE after TOR.
    SOE is going to extend the Wrath Of the Jestor if this Sad re-collaboration between SOE and LEC occurs.Remember, its SOE fault for the Jestor and now it appear that I shall remain your Ombudsman in this Star War Universe. Thanks SOE!

Unaware of the Jestor?

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086

I am not surprised that LA and $OE will maintain their unholy alliance with the upcoming Clone Wars game. It would appear that neither of these companies are able to learn any lessons.

Told ya all :) It most certainly IS real and IS coming. I just love how many people on the o-boards ripped "me" for asking when it was coming when it was listed on SoE's very own site.

Originally posted by Kazara

I am not surprised that LA and $OE will maintain their unholy alliance with the upcoming Clone Wars game. It would appear that neither of these companies are able to learn any lessons.

I still believe LA did it in exchange for something - my guess is the complete closure of SWG. But...the subscription page tends to make that idea seem incorrect since SWG is listed along with Clone Wars - but the October release for Clone Wars MMO would still support my theory that SWG will co-exist, for a short time, with Clone Wars, but I still maintain that it will close fully with the release of ToR.

SWG is the redheaded step child of all MMOs and the greatest F'up in gaming history. Letting the cancer of SWG live while the new $150 million game is released would simply be foolish!!!!!! LA needs to kill it - because as long as SWG lives, the comparisons between SWG and ToR will never end. TBH, they won't end with the death of SWG either, but the option of playing SWG will force players to "move on" and that will be the best thing SoE has ever done for SWG.

And look at the facts - SoE has 5 Devs working on the only Star Wars MMO out right now. FIVE Devs!!! Club Penguin has more than that I bet. The only investments into the game for the past year (and foreseeable future) have been in the form of TCG additions - which is nothing more than "fluff"  items that players have been asking for for ages - adding them in as TCG loots ensures sales! The CORE changes that need to be made are ignored - lag, populations, TCG, No Trade, community building. SoE's obvious goal is to milk the current playerbase as long as they can before the release of this new MMO and ToR.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278

I still believe LA did it in exchange for something - my guess is the complete closure of SWG. But...the subscription page tends to make that idea seem incorrect since SWG is listed along with Clone Wars - but the October release for Clone Wars MMO would still support my theory that SWG will co-exist, for a short time, with Clone Wars, but I still maintain that it will close fully with the release of ToR.

Obviously, there's no way to know for sure, but I think you're right Tux. More specifically, I think the Clone Wars license was a booby prize to keep LA from going into breach when ToR kills SWG.

I'm interested to see what incentives SOE gives to current SWG players to get them into Clone Wars (thus giving them permission to finally put the bullet in SWG's head).

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Obviously, there's no way to know for sure, but I think you're right Tux. More specifically, I think the Clone Wars license was a booby prize to keep LA from going into breach when ToR kills SWG.

I'm interested to see what incentives SOE gives to current SWG players to get them into Clone Wars (thus giving them permission to finally put the bullet in SWG's head).

Its going to be a web browser game, like Mafia Wars.   Dunno whats the big deal?

Originally posted by BullseyeArc1

Its going to be a web browser game, like Mafia Wars.   Dunno whats the big deal?

Not even close dude. Have you ever played Free Realms? It's VERY VERY impressive for being loaded via the web...but don't mistake being loaded via the web as being a web based game. It is NOT some goofy browser game. In fact, anyone who thinks SWG has decent graphics will sh!t themselves when they see the new games graphics. Trust me...it's being VERY underestimated.