Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pong MMORPG?!

johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Florence, SCPosts: 2,663Member

So, I had yet another crazy idea while working on my MUD/2D MMO that I'm still not sure in what order development will go for.

What if someone made an MMORPG using retro Pong style graphics, that was played like an MMO in all senses except that combat...was just like Pong...

What if skills had something to do with the pong playing field, similar to power-ups in more advanced Pong clones? Say you had a temporary speed power up or a bigger paddle powerup or a skill that shrunk the opponent's paddle. Then what?

I don't know. Just an idea. After seeing games like Puzzle Quest, Valkyrie Sky, and Puzzle Pirates, I'm curious to see what could become of RPG/arcade crossovers.

Comments

• GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member Uncommon

Make it pet-based. You tame a pet paddle from the wilderness and put it in fierce battle against other players' paddles. They should say "pong" repeatedly too, need to have that.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Florence, SCPosts: 2,663Member
    Originally posted by GTwander

Make it pet-based. You tame a pet paddle from the wilderness and put it in fierce battle against other players' paddles. They should say "pong" repeatedly too, need to have that.

I lol'd.

Despite the obvious joke, it'd make a great Kingdom of Loathing-style game. xD

• BlazzBlazz BrisbanePosts: 321Member

Yeah, I'd like to see some games where combat is based around a game. Perhaps you could have a chess-like game for each bit of combat, but players can all sorts of different units?

But yes, Pong is pretty good, too. Just gotta watch out for them pings. Sounds a little like my old Dance Dance Revolution combat game, but with pong it's a lot more simple and well understood.

I also like the idea of pong paddle pets, now all we need to do is create the universe where this makes sense. >_>

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

Originally posted by Blazz

I also like the idea of pong paddle pets, now all we need to do is create the universe where this makes sense. >_>

And therein lies our problem. 

So ehm...right...hmm...I got nothing. I'll think about it tomorrow. I just wanna see if we can all brainstorm something crazy. Could be fun. =D

• BlazzBlazz BrisbanePosts: 321Member

I'm thinking a sort of one-hit KO/Kill weaponry has been developed in the future, and anyone dealing with any combat involving these things has their own Personal Offensive Negation... Gadget. Whoever initiates combat fires a laser - see, in this way we've added to the combat, too! You could have all sorts of crazy lasers AND P.O.N.Gs.

I am playing EVE and it's alright... level V skills are a bit much.

You all need to learn to spell.

• biofellisbiofellis Central, NYPosts: 511Member Uncommon

• GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by biofellis

Seriously though, unless we're talking more Arkanoid or Warlords, It'd be interesting- a bit- for a while. I think many games would be better a plan than just pong/pong variants.

What comes to mind is Tron, and everyone wearing glowy sci-fi suits and equipped with a giant shield to deflect frisbees at each other. Make these like some naturally occurring phenomena or migrating energy source, and have it say "frisbee!" repeatedly.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Originally posted by biofellis

Your mother's pills are prescription. Stop taking them. They are not candy...
    Seriously though, unless we're talking more Arkanoid or Warlords, It'd be interesting- a bit- for a while. I think many games would be better a plan than just pong/pong variants.
    But yeah- fitting it in would be tough... 

I thought I was the only one that ever cared about that game, but yeah, that adds a whole new dimension with shields and everything.