Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Cha-ching!

SteamRangerSteamRanger Great Northwest, WAPosts: 920Member Uncommon

I just confirmed that the first items are available for purchase on the ingame C-Store

Federation Playable Klingon Species    240

Federation Playable Ferengi Species       80

Nice to see that Cryptic is off to a rousing start, considering that the game officially releases today.

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
"People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

Comments

• olepiolepi Austin, TXPosts: 1,150Member Uncommon

Is that in dollars?? WOW!

------------
    RIP City of Heroes. One of my favorite MMO's.

• SteamRangerSteamRanger Great Northwest, WAPosts: 920Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by olepi

Even better! Cryptic Bucks!!!

"Soloists and those who prefer small groups should never have to feel like they''re the ones getting the proverbial table scraps, as it were." - Scott Hartsman, Senior Producer, Everquest II
    "People love groups. Its a fallacy that people want to play solo all the time." - Scott Hartsman, Executive Producer, Rift

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Philadelphia, PAPosts: 264Member

Don't playable Klingons unlock after only six levels? Or did they change that so they could charge for it?

• GyrusGyrus Lost City of ZPosts: 2,335Member
    Originally posted by LordDraekon

Nice to see that Cryptic is off to a rousing start, considering that the game officially releases today.

Personally, I'm just hanging around to see the Cryptic Trademark OMG.we.screwed.up.with.the.game.balance.and.need.to.change.the.skills.and.nerf.every.thing.in.the.first.week.post.launch Patch.

Then I will probably move on...

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

Originally posted by TheAesthete

Don't playable Klingons unlock after only six levels? Or did they change that so they could charge for it?

That's only so you can play the Klingon Faction. This is for suckers players who want to play a Klingon Federation Captain.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Philadelphia, PAPosts: 264Member

That's only so you can play the Klingon Faction. This is for suckers players who want to play a Klingon Federation Captain.

Ah. Well, it's nice of them to have found a way to paint "Kick Me" signs on the backs of gullible players.

• PyrateLVPyrateLV Las Vegas, NVPosts: 1,096Member Common

Klingons on the KDF side are unlocked after 6 levels. Klingons on the Fed side must be bought.

500 Cryptic Bucks are $6.25 so it costs about $3 to play as a Klingon on the Fed side.

Tried: EQ2 - AC - EU - HZ - TR - MxO - TTO - WURM - SL - VG:SoH - PotBS - PS - AoC - WAR - DDO - SWTOR
    Played: UO - EQ1 - AO - DAoC - NC - CoH/CoV - SWG - WoW - EVE - AA - LotRO - DFO - STO - FE - MO - RIFT
    Playing: Skyrim
    Following: The Repopulation
    I want a Virtual World, not just a Game.
    ITS TOO HARD! - Matt Firor (ZeniMax)

• just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member

No....that is NOT in "dollars." It's more like SoE's Station Cash where you get so many Station coins for 1 dollar. Like 100 = 1 dollar, that sort of thing.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• BlurrBlurr Thornhill, ONPosts: 2,155Member

I absolutely love STO, and I just have no urge to buy these races. So I won't buy them, problem solved. I don't see why everyone's freaking out.

Also, just found out I got 500 points with my digital deluxe edition. You're really not missing out if you don't buy the races, and if you absolutely have to buy them, 3 bucks or 1 buck ain't a big deal.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common
    Originally posted by Blurr

I absolutely love STO, and I just have no urge to buy these races. So I won't buy them, problem solved. I don't see why everyone's freaking out.

I don't even think they should be available at the C-Store. Worf was the only klingon in starfleet and Nog was the only ferengi. I guess that is one way of keeping those species more rare, but I just don't like the principle behind it.

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• KyngBillsKyngBills Charlotte, NCPosts: 449Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by girlgeek

No....that is NOT in "dollars." It's more like SoE's Station Cash where you get so many Station coins for 1 dollar. Like 100 = 1 dollar, that sort of thing.

Well...That's pretty cheap...Personally I don't see much wrong with it...MMO Gaming is moving in this direction anyway...We all know it...It's a way for Companies to bleed a little more cash from those willing to pay it...It's inevitable...It's going to happen more and more...Anyone who does not like it has the choice to ignore it...Fair enough...

• orlacorlac tucson, AZPosts: 549Member

They might as well make the MMO "Lemmings Online" now.....

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 basildonPosts: 1,039Member

Nice little earner there for Cryptic and Atari. If 5000 players go out and buy 500 points each, thats a cool extra $31,000 just from selling a new avatar. Gotta hand it to Cryptari, they know how to make money.

• junzo316junzo316 Raleigh, NCPosts: 1,684Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jimsmith08

Nice little earner there for Cryptic and Atari. If 5000 players go out and buy 500 points each, thats a cool extra $31,000 just from selling a new avatar. Gotta hand it to Cryptari, they know how to make money.

Too bad they don't know how to make a good game....

• AirwrenAirwren Normal, ILPosts: 646Member

Which you can already do by just playing the 'alien' option and creating it from there.  The best part is you get to pick which traits you want instead of having them preset. 

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 basildonPosts: 1,039Member
    Originally posted by junzo316

Originally posted by jimsmith08

Too bad they don't know how to make a good game....

Still, for sheer greed and money grabbing, theyre top notch.

One of the sad things about this new development is how the apologists responded to complaints that Ferengi were not offered as a playable species. The Faithful made excuses, saying that the Ferengi were removed because there were problems with them, but would assuredly be in by release. I guess the "problems" were that Cryptic felt they were giving too much away with the initial game. Oh well, at least they were right. Ferengi and Klingons are both available for players at launch.

If the community lets them get away with this, pretty soon, there won't be a game released without this kind of chicanery.

• KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member
    Originally posted by PyrateLV

Klingons on the KDF side are unlocked after 6 levels.

Actually, this is only partially accurate.

There are two options for unlocking the ability to create a KDF aligned Klingon character:

(1) Get to Level 6

(2) Quest until you are able to do Stop the Signal, which also unlocks Klingon play when completed. 

Quickest way to achieve this, you ask? Here is a quest run-down for you.

Tutorial - 15 minutes

SS Azura - 15 minutes

Diplomatic Mission - 20 minutes

Hide and Seek - 30 minutes

SB 24 Fleet Action - 10 minutes

SB 24 Ground Mission - 25 minutes

Stop the Signal - 20 minutes (This quest unlocks Klingons when you finish it, sometimes requires a relog to take effect, or if you have unspent skill points you need to spend them and then the faction will unlock for play.)

So technically you are able to unlock Klingons at Level 4. I used this method in open beta and retail headstart and it worked perfectly. Requires approximately two hours and twenty minutes to achieve.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,643Member Uncommon

Klingons on the KDF side are unlocked after 6 levels. Klingons on the Fed side must be bought.

500 Cryptic Bucks are $6.25 so it costs about $3 to play as a Klingon on the Fed side.

That actually seems extremely reasonable.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 19,981Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

It is, if its also possible to obtain exactly the same benefit from just playing the game (as might be the case, hard to tell from the posts here, they conflict a bit).  Can you earn in game credits any other way besides paying for them?

If paying cash is the only way to obtain these options then it pretty much blows chunks and points yet again to why I won't ever play a Cryptic game.  (and its not the cost, its the principal of the thing, I'd probably go out and buy them anyways)

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ben3283ben3283 Tampa, FLPosts: 28Member

If we start looking at this as reasonable, then it will become a standard. Do you honestly want item malls in sub based games? Charging for this petty content to appease the players is a shameful move. It should be in the game upon release! As a gamer stand up for yourself, don’t let this company push you around. Players make or break a game; if you support this new ploy then you deserve playing it.

• DrachasorDrachasor Columbus, OHPosts: 2,678Member

The only reasonable item mall item in a subscription game are for a subset of cosmetic items that are not iconic to the setting (or server transfers, name changes*, etc), imho.  This is why I am ok with how WoW does it, because they have a silly little pandaran pet.  If they charged you to have your warriors look like proper warriors or the like, then that would be ridiculous.  This is why I don't like how they charge for iconic costume parts in Champions Online, since costume is extremely important in a Superhero setting.  Similarly, charging to be a Ferangi or Klingon Federation officer is also not cool in STO, since those are iconic to the setting after Nog and Worf.  It's just a money-making scheme and if they feel fine charging for the really iconic stuff (which they do), then they'll charge for more and more and more as time goes on.

Well, we'll see whether they charge for the first significant content update like they did in Champions Online.

*Charging Name changes are possibly not ok in a Super Hero setting, where name changing in the genre is fairly common.

• PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon

Life time subs is a hint that the mmo is a failure.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Kansas City, MOPosts: 4,844Member
    Originally posted by Precusor

Life time subs is a hint that the mmo is a failure.

Hmmm....LotRO offers lifetime subs, and I wouldn't exactly call it a failure....

I mean, I understand your suspicion, but it doesn't always play out that way. (Having said that...I don't play STO, so ya know...just tryin' to play the devil's advocate here.)

EDIT: The game I seem to be playing today is Geeks of Forumcraft. Thought I'd take a day "off" from my usual fare. ;)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• RobsolfRobsolf Grand Rapids, MIPosts: 4,246Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by ben3283

If we start looking at this as reasonable, then it will become a standard. Do you honestly want item malls in sub based games? Charging for this petty content to appease the players is a shameful move. It should be in the game upon release! As a gamer stand up for yourself, don’t let this company push you around. Players make or break a game; if you support this new ploy then you deserve playing it.

I can't wait til' people have to pay a sub fee for the item mall... :P