Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cha-ching!

2»

Comments

• jimsmith08jimsmith08 Member Posts: 1,039
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by ben3283

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by TheAesthete

Don't playable Klingons unlock after only six levels? Or did they change that so they could charge for it?

Klingons on the KDF side are unlocked after 6 levels. Klingons on the Fed side must be bought.

500 Cryptic Bucks are $6.25 so it costs about $3 to play as a Klingon on the Fed side.

That actually seems extremely reasonable.

If we start looking at this as reasonable, then it will become a standard. Do you honestly want item malls in sub based games? Charging for this petty content to appease the players is a shameful move. It should be in the game upon release! As a gamer stand up for yourself, don’t let this company push you around. Players make or break a game; if you support this new ploy then you deserve playing it.

I can't wait til' people have to pay a sub fee for the item mall... :P

Now youre just giving them ideas

• Dru998Dru998 Member CommonPosts: 85

Hey!  I have an idea for an MMORPG!  I am going to make half a game, charge full price for it.  Have a full price subscription $14.99 per month, THEN for the other half of the game that those dumb other developers give for free, I am going to charge for it in the form of an item mall!!! YES!  I know it will work because I have a huge IP behind me.  I will exploit all those dumb lemmings!  They will follow me blindly!  They will bend to my WILL! I will be rich and powerful!! I will drape myself in jewels and gold, I will be the greatest MMO developer EVER!!

/Sarcasm off

Wow, thank god I didn't support this company. Even if the game was good, I wouldn't play it. This is just greed and exploitation to the max.  It's quite a disgusting display to see.  A sad, sad day in MMORPG history.  Sad because you all know other company's will do this if this games successful..

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    Science has never proven that what we see in front of us is in fact real.

• PkL728PkL728 Member Posts: 82
    Originally posted by jimsmith08

Originally posted by Robsolf

Originally posted by ben3283

Originally posted by Loktofeit

Originally posted by PyrateLV

Originally posted by TheAesthete

Don't playable Klingons unlock after only six levels? Or did they change that so they could charge for it?

Klingons on the KDF side are unlocked after 6 levels. Klingons on the Fed side must be bought.

500 Cryptic Bucks are $6.25 so it costs about $3 to play as a Klingon on the Fed side.

That actually seems extremely reasonable.

If we start looking at this as reasonable, then it will become a standard. Do you honestly want item malls in sub based games? Charging for this petty content to appease the players is a shameful move. It should be in the game upon release! As a gamer stand up for yourself, don’t let this company push you around. Players make or break a game; if you support this new ploy then you deserve playing it.

I can't wait til' people have to pay a sub fee for the item mall... :P

Now youre just giving them ideas

OMG!  Item mall = worst games EVAR!!!  How dare they charge people $3.00!?!?

Seriously guys, it's $3.00 bucks and probably an easy way for them to keep thousands of Klingons and Ferengi out of the Federation so that you don't have those running around all over the place.  This is the way games are trending now, and you guys need to have a paradigm shift.  Yes, SoE has tarnished this feature by tacking them onto failing games to keep them afloat, but I don't think the overall idea is a bad one... you don't have to use it.  Get on with your lives.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Originally posted by girlgeek

Originally posted by Precusor

Life time subs is a hint that the mmo is a failure.

Hmmm....LotRO offers lifetime subs, and I wouldn't exactly call it a failure....

I mean, I understand your suspicion, but it doesn't always play out that way. (Having said that...I don't play STO, so ya know...just tryin' to play the devil's advocate here.)

EDIT: The game I seem to be playing today is Geeks of Forumcraft. Thought I'd take a day "off" from my usual fare. ;)

You know, that game is FFA PVP right?  (too bad there isn't full loot too)

Yeah, lifetime subs isn't an indicator of a bad game, as long as they are offered both before and post launch.

When they are only available before launch, then the suspicion meter rises exponentially.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Originally posted by Kyleran

Hmmm....LotRO offers lifetime subs, and I wouldn't exactly call it a failure....

I mean, I understand your suspicion, but it doesn't always play out that way. (Having said that...I don't play STO, so ya know...just tryin' to play the devil's advocate here.)

EDIT: The game I seem to be playing today is Geeks of Forumcraft. Thought I'd take a day "off" from my usual fare. ;)

Yeah, lifetime subs isn't an indicator of a bad game, as long as they are offered both before and post launch.

When they are only available before launch, then the suspicion meter rises exponentially.

That was a major factor throwing me off the game. They said the game is just beta, so in the open beta you aren't playing the real game, stop complaining. And at the same time they urge you to buy a lifetime subscription, saying you can't buy it after the game comes out. You only get the special deal on the car BEFORE you test drive it. Odd, methinks.

Another factor to me was the very limited character slots, that implies a single run-through with little or no replayability. Even CoH, criticized for being shallow and repetitive, allowed many slots and a lot of replayability. If you want to play one of the new type characters available in the STO cash shop, does that mean you also will have to buy a new character slot?

If they start to sell new zones and content on the cash shop, like they appear to be doing in CO, it will be the end IMHO.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Dru998

Hey!  I have an idea for an MMORPG!  I am going to make half a game, charge full price for it.  Have a full price subscription $14.99 per month, THEN for the other half of the game that those dumb other developers give for free, I am going to charge for it in the form of an item mall!!! YES!  I know it will work because I have a huge IP behind me.  I will exploit all those dumb lemmings!  They will follow me blindly!  They will bend to my WILL! I will be rich and powerful!! I will drape myself in jewels and gold, I will be the greatest MMO developer EVER!!
    /Sarcasm off
    Wow, thank god I didn't support this company. Even if the game was good, I wouldn't play it. This is just greed and exploitation to the max.  It's quite a disgusting display to see.  A sad, sad day in MMORPG history.  Sad because you all know other company's will do this if this games successful..

You know.....this would probably work just fine IF the half of the game they were offering for full sub price wasn't a useless p.o.s. I mean, honestly....some of the games that were released over the past five years that WERE "whole games," were such trivial crap, that I would wager if a company actually made a really superior, spectacular HALF game....this pricing "plan" you proposed, might actually have some viability.

Sadly...I'm not being sarcastic.

Would I personally play it and willingly pay in the manner you've described?  Probably not.  But someone somewhere probably would, and you only need a good number of those "somebodies" to make it work.  Which I why I have argued in so many previous threads, the following:

There is nothing you can DO about RMT except personally make choices as to where you spend your OWN money that coincide with your views. Be harmonious with your OWN thoughts and actions. Don't say one thing, and do another. Don't be hypocritical. If you oppose ALL RMT...do not PLAY games that have RMT. On the other hand if you approve of the way "company X" does it....support "company X," etc. You cannot, however, decide how anyone else spends their money. The only recourse you have "against" RMT is to vote using your own personal finances.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Kyleran

If you're very very good at FFFA PVP (forum free for all PvP)....you can sometimes loot small fragments of ego.  Of course, these only drop off opponents that have improperly equipped their ego, making it a bit unstable. Once you have 3 ego fragments, I understand they can be smelted into a bar of street cred. I think I remember someone saying if you have enough of those...you can shape them into [Epic Dagger of Pure Sarcastic Genius] which can be used to turn the tides of entire battles with one swipe.

I wouldn't know. I'm not leet enough to have obtained that many fragments yet.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club