Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WTF? 10 GB download?

Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

I start my launcher, and now I'm getting a 10gb DL??? This'll take forever. i had the latest client until this morning. I bought through Steam. Why am I now being asked to sit through a 10gb download??

Comments

• MavisPMavisP Member Posts: 181
    Originally posted by Die_Scream

I start my launcher, and now I'm getting a 10gb DL??? This'll take forever. i had the latest client until this morning. I bought through Steam. Why am I now being asked to sit through a 10gb download??

Because you chose to d/load the game instead of wait for the box?

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by MavisP

That makes a lot of sense, since I have been in beta playing with an up to date client till this morning. Try again.

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

Same here. I was fed up of waiting for it to authenticate.

So I uninstalled the game to reinstall on my SSD instead.

Booted up and managed to get past the authenticate right away to be greeted with the 10gb download.

This was about 8 mins ago, and now I am at 42% complete already so it is not going to badly.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

LOL. That is why I chose to order the box. I HATE long downloads. A few extra days wait is worth it. I like having my own copy.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by AmazingAvery

Same here. I was fed up of waiting for it to authenticate.

So I uninstalled the game to reinstall on my SSD instead.

Booted up and managed to get past the authenticate right away to be greeted with the 10gb download.

This was about 8 mins ago, and now I am at 42% complete already so it is not going to badly.

You're lucky then Avery. I'm at 2. frikkin' 6 percent after 10-15 minutes.

My question (if the GD forums were up) would be why am I having to do this at all. WTF?

• Dru998Dru998 Member CommonPosts: 85

Maybe they are adding a content patch? 

_____________________________________________________________________________________
    Science has never proven that what we see in front of us is in fact real.

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Wow, kids today lol.

My first MMO started out at 15mb and that took a day and a half to download.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Probably patching problem that is redownlaoding the whole client again lol

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by TheHatter

Wow, kids today lol.
    My first MMO started out at 15mb and that took a day and a half to download.

LOL. And maybe those extra GBs are becasuse of ....gasp....more stuff we haven't seen yet?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Well, it's brutal. 10 GB is a lot of bandwidth, especially since this will make over 20gb I've had to DL for the game.

Looks like for some reason, my fully patched client is completely being re-downloaded.

No head start for me.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

That makes a lot of sense, since I have been in beta playing with an up to date client till this morning. Try again.

Beta copies are normally not usable in official releases, even if they're similar.  Lots of reasons for that, mostly technical, bureaucratic, and/or dull to explain.

But if you were d/l-ing AoC, you'd have to pull 20+ gigs down... wouldn't that be fun?  :)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351

If you use Steam, the auto-updater has had  a headfit and is auto-deleting the entire game from eveyone's hdd when the connect to it.

I now have a 10 gig download and only 5 gig left on my limit for January, best launch ever :)

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• ZckdudeZckdude Member Posts: 1

Just registered to post this, but it's all over the steam forums as well forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php

Originally posted by Robsolf

Beta copies are normally not usable in official releases, even if they're similar.  Lots of reasons for that, mostly technical, bureaucratic, and/or dull to explain.

But if you were d/l-ing AoC, you'd have to pull 20+ gigs down... wouldn't that be fun?  :)

That's not true. beta client usually just needs to DL a launch day patch, not the whole damn thing all over.

Not to mention the devs said over and over that would be the procedure. I think Steam is the culprit here somehow.

Originally posted by Robsolf

That's not true. beta client usually just needs to DL a launch day patch, not the whole damn thing all over.

Not to mention the devs said over and over that would be the procedure. I think Steam is the culprit here somehow.

Yep, it's Steam.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

I just absolutely despise Steam. 

That is interesting about steam.

I DL from direct2drive and it is just the beta version a. When beta initally launched I played all the way through to the end day and updated the beta to version b. I figured it would just update again today. But ohh no, the whole thing.

Well I am at 82% right now.

I DL from direct2drive and it is just the beta version a. When beta initally launched I played all the way through to the end day and updated the beta to version b. I figured it would just update again today. But ohh no, the whole thing.

Avery, you are at 82% is that on the Steam update, or the cryptic launcher updating?

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Pfft Steam.  Impulse didn't do that.  

Avery, you are at 82% is that on the Steam update, or the cryptic launcher updating?

On the Cryptic launcher itself 93% now. Directly updating not through steam.

Well, the steam update box is at 92%, but the Cryptic launch is at 9.7% grr. I wonder which is what?

• LitedevianceLitedeviance Member Posts: 27

That's alright , leave it for a week while the old dialup chunders away, hoping that someone doesn't disconnect the phone line.

Seriously tho , thats what games are now mate packed with media mostly.

STEAM users, please read this:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1127628

If you redownload it through Steam, do NOT launch it through steam, it seems it'll try and update then try and redownload it all again.

Well I am in and up and running no issues apart from the DL.

I'm at 14.4% *sigh*

So after this patching, I should only launch the game from c:/programfiles(86)/Cryptic/STO right?