Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Site Continues Trend of "BAD THINGS SAID MEANS BAD REVIEWERS"

DevourDevour Member Posts: 902

See here.

In the other articles with reviews ( i.e. the ones from REALLY obscure sites that get 8/10 for some random reason ) they get complemented, as such, but when you review them "less than average"?

"Darkfall isn't for everyone, but especially not for reviewers: Sean Bulger reviews Darkfall for MMORPG.com and finds it worthy of a 6

"Reviewing Darkfall is not easy. Ill be completely honest: at one time, I fit this target demographic and would have loved every concept put forward by this game - and still do like the sound of it quite a bit. However, time (and necessity) can change taste and Darkfall is an unforgiving game that requires a lot of dedicated time if you expect to do anything.""

It reminds me of this PennyArcade Comic.

I find it hilarious that there's a quote from Keen and Graev on their main page, when two weeks after he made that post, he said the game was hilariously shallow.

Aventurine: Still giving me plenty of lols.

( inb4 people come in with: "WAI U LUK AT MAIN SITE IF U DONT TROLL TROLL". The answer is because I was checking if they'd finally made true on their promise of a free trial. :) )

Comments

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854

Sorry but I have no clue of what you are trying to prove here....

The quote you mentionned was taken from Sean Bulger's review and so.....really I have no clue what the problem is....

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

The quote you mentionned was taken from Sean Bulger's review and so.....really I have no clue what the problem is....

Maybe, just maybe, Devour is trying to open up discussion.  You know, discussion, that thing that occurs on forums.

Originally posted by TheHavok

Maybe, just maybe, Devour is trying to open up discussion.  You know, discussion, that thing that occurs on forums.

I know, but I don't understand the point he's trying to make. You know, the point, that thing that occurs in a discussion.

• JordanJaxJordanJax Member Posts: 43

I know, but I don't understand the point he's trying to make. You know, the point, that thing that occurs in a discussion.

lol

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Darkfall get good review = Darkfall fans happy.

Darkfall get bad review = Darkfall fans SMASH!

There's his point. Basically.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Originally posted by Comnitus

I'd understand THAT. My point is that Aventurine says that the game is not for reviewers despite posting up any praise they can get from reviews, even if it's randomly and awkwardly taken out of context.

Hypocrisy of the highest degree.

Originally posted by Devour

I'd understand THAT. My point is that Aventurine says that the game is not for reviewers despite posting up any praise they can get from reviews, even if it's randomly and awkwardly taken out of context.

Makes sense now. Title was somewhat misleading. Thought you were talking about AV complaining about bad reviews (like the EuroGamer case) and quoted a part of a MMORPG review of the game.....got a little confused there.

Either way, I have to agree with you even though I don't remember where they said the game is not for reviewers (unless that's the part from the MMORPG.com review you quoted). They do seem to like reviews and especially good ones as with every games though so I can't really blame them on that. I highly doubt a company would boast about something like "Eurogamer -Best Shit in 2009 - 2/10" now would they?

Also, reviewers seems to want to avoid any trouble with AV as the EuroGamer stuff probably scared many. Perhaps that's why DarkFall is "hard to review" :þ

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Devour

And this is different from other MMO devs? What MMO dev posts negative reviews to their site? What MMO dev doesn't quote the most flattering lines from a review?

You have to admit DFO is not your typical MMO. It's not in the mainstream of WoW and its wannabe clones. Many reviewers who are used to those kinds of MMOs are not going to get DFO. It will come across as unforgiving, brutal, difficult, unfamiliar and so on. If you don't get the direction and concept of the game, and go in expecting another WoW clone you're going to be in for a rough ride.

That said, there's nothing wrong with posting gripes with the game in a review; places it needs to be refined or improved upon. No game is perfect, especially no MMO.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902
    Makes sense now. Title was somewhat misleading. Thought you were talking about AV complaining about bad reviews (like the EuroGamer case) and quoted a part of a MMORPG review of the game.....got a little confused there.

Either way, I have to agree with you even though I don't remember where they said the game is not for reviewers (unless that's the part from the MMORPG.com review you quoted). They do seem to like reviews and especially good ones as with every games though so I can't really blame them on that. I highly doubt a company would boast about something like "Eurogamer -Best Shit in 2009 - 2/10" now would they?

Also, reviewers seems to want to avoid any trouble with AV as the EuroGamer stuff probably scared many. Perhaps that's why DarkFall is "hard to review" :þ

Look at the link in the OP. Or the full extent of my quote. =p

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

I think I understand your point which is saying "DFO is not for critics" = cop out? Although I don't remember seeing AV say this anywhere I will say that if they did it would no doubt be a defense mechanism. Alot of reviewers experience in MMORPGs = 2 years in WoW and a few months in some post WoW piece of BS. It isn't enough to do a full review of DFO that is going to be published by your site/magazine in my opinion.

Much the same as I wouldn't ask Eminem to review an opera since whatever his views are they aren't going to be worth the even printing. Nor would I ask Mick Jagger to write a review of a 50 cent album nor ask Ghandi to commentate on a world championship boxing match.

It doesn't work but people do it still, so I suppose AV will just have to grin and bare it knowing that WoW players will review DFO for sites and just post their tears of pain at not being able to hold hands with an NPC and skip through rainbows to max level in 3 days!

That's just my opinion though, it might not be for those that don't like it!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Yep, just look at this forum.

People often scream out in pure fear "this is not like WoW.....it is broken!", and then we except to get a DF based review? No way it gonna work.

• drago_pldrago_pl Member Posts: 384

Maybe if someone says game is 2/10 it angers not only developers but also shit loads of people that are enjoying game?

www.orderofbane.com/screenshots/wardec.jpg

• BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112

Different people, different tastes, what's to discuss here ? Furthermore there is no negative, official comment about those reviews in the official article you have provided. 

I have better subject to discuss tho, what OP does on MMORPG.com except starting flaming wars on DF forums and why people like him haven't been permanently barred from specific forums ?

Example: If you purpose on FE forum is nothing except trolling and flaming you should get 3 warnings and then lose access to that forum. You may ask for a rights to post it again after a specific period of time.

If you don't like a game, discuss it on the related to it forum, describe why you don't like it and stop posting there, otherwise your posts there have no other purpose then baiting people and flaming.

Is that hard to be a civilized, reasonable and polite person this days ?

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333

Official site is absolutely right.

Eurogamer review =  scam . Ed zitron did took a day off got drunk, scammed Eurogamer for the money and offered a job that could be described as insult to journalism   = bad review.

MMORPG.com review was souless, Reviewer writes 2 pages of positive stuff to then present a negative conclusion in a single paragraph ? just to cater to the trolls polpulating MMORPG as majority = bad review. MMORPG.com had no backbone and even changed the wording for their rating from "acceptable" to "mediocre" for sounding more negative and cater to the trolls here.That has to be the most ridicoulus things happened in relation to a review. Because  "acceptable" sounded too positive for the rating they changed the word to "mediocre". Such style of journalism  is bad and Darkfall offcial site is right , what should come ourt from people without backbone and who  cater to bad journalism ?

Print media did a better job some UK magazine has seen DF potential and had given Darkfall 7.5 (hey look at the user rating here now, isn't UK TotalPCgaming damn good in reviewing and MMORPG.com bad ?) in the face of the trolls who now even see how wrong they were back = good review.

Same the major spanish magazine and a big german magazine. Seems printed magazines are more professional and have a better judgement of what is a good game therefore are better reviewer. They have more history in reviewing games anyway.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518

So a non factor scrub troll, who quit after the first hour when someone took his goblin loot, is posting a review that gave a sandbox targeted towards a NICHE crowd a 6 and is expecting what? After all the other review 1 6 isnt that bad for this small of a niche game.

Go back to your linear AION/instanced crap and let the big boys talk here.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Thanks to Darth and Izure, I can now reiterate:

• IzureIzure Member Posts: 518

Are you new to mmorpg.com dfo forums or what? if you are why are you commenting on something that you have 0 information about, Devour trolled DFo before it came out and still to this date is.

Actually for a reviewer by this company( more linear type games) 6 is a pretty fair score.

But thanks to you I know why people post non logical posts, because they have no idea what they are talking about. Next troll please thanks.

Originally posted by Izure

Are you new to mmorpg.com dfo forums or what? if you are why are you commenting on something that you have 0 information about, Devour trolled DFo before it came out and still to this date is.

Actually for a reviewer by this company( more linear type games) 6 is a pretty fair score.

But thanks to you I know why people post non logical posts, because they have no idea what they are talking about. Next troll please thanks.

I'm not sure you even know what you are talking about, Izure. What Commitus said is completly true. If DarkFall has a bad review: Well the reviewer sucks. If DF gets a good review: Good times! Just don't forget that this rule applies to ALL game though.

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Agricola1

I think I understand your point which is saying "DFO is not for critics" = cop out? Although I don't remember seeing AV say this anywhere I will say that if they did it would no doubt be a defense mechanism. Alot of reviewers experience in MMORPGs = 2 years in WoW and a few months in some post WoW piece of BS. It isn't enough to do a full review of DFO that is going to be published by your site/magazine in my opinion.
    Much the same as I wouldn't ask Eminem to review an opera since whatever his views are they aren't going to be worth the even printing. Nor would I ask Mick Jagger to write a review of a 50 cent album nor ask Ghandi to commentate on a world championship boxing match.
    It doesn't work but people do it still, so I suppose AV will just have to grin and bare it knowing that WoW players will review DFO for sites and just post their tears of pain at not being able to hold hands with an NPC and skip through rainbows to max level in 3 days!
    That's just my opinion though, it might not be for those that don't like it!

Why even go there, seriously?

No signature, I don't have a pen

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

Reviews are opinion, period. A reviewer can review a game any way they want. Which is why I don't place much value on reviews when deciding to buy a game. Trials and demos make up my mind, not hype and advertising.

• JeezesuzJeezesuz Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by marcuslm

Reviews are opinion, period. A reviewer can review a game any way they want. Which is why I don't place much value on reviews when deciding to buy a game. Trials and demos make up my mind, not hype and advertising.

You are right that they are opinions.  Good reviews though try to remain as neutral and objective as they can.  They discuss the pro's and the con's all in a constructive thoughtful manner.

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Originally posted by Jeezesuz

You are right that they are opinions.  Good reviews though try to remain as neutral and objective as they can.  They discuss the pro's and the con's all in a constructive thoughtful manner.

The problem is one persons pro may be another persons con. Something that is "fun" for one person may not be "fun" at all for another. So in the end what does a review score really mean? Not much.

• JeezesuzJeezesuz Member Posts: 70

Originally posted by Jeezesuz

The problem is one persons pro may be another persons con. Something that is "fun" for one person may not be "fun" at all for another. So in the end what does a review score really mean? Not much.

I see and understand your point and agree.  The score doesn't really mean anything but if done consistently sets a good benchmark.  Pros for one maybe cons for another but that needs to be communicated constructively and people will more effectively make their own decision.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Agricola1

Exactly

That's what AV is trying to say.

I would accept if someone who played UO or Shadowbane would give DF a 5, but it is not acceptable taking bad scores from people who only played WoW or similar games.

A DF player would give WoW a 2..............would you let a DF player review WoW? So why it is acceptable the other way round?

DF is totally different from any mainstream MMO, therefore it should be judged with different parametres.

But if I was Tasos I would let it go.

DF players are doing a better job than any incompetent reviewer in convincing new player to join the game.

I am talking in particular about people like you, who if I remember well were quite sceptic about this game and when finally took the plunge, they now regret listening to all those negative reviews.

AV should rely more on this, rather than paying attention to those "reviews" made by so called "experts"