Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Site Continues Trend of "BAD THINGS SAID MEANS BAD REVIEWERS"

13»

Comments

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by Dawnherald

Originally posted by DarthRaiden

Wrong , the Community Liason team covers a big part of what Tasos did in the past at the spotlight section but still Tasos has last word in announcement section (hence he is associative producer ) and Claus and Kjetil just jump in in case of very technical discussion.

1. I said pretty much taken out of the public eye, not completely.

2. That's not really the public eye, it's just using a forum account to post updates.

3. You need to stop being so rabid.

So i need to stop to tell facts , you even didn't had the name of the dev ( "Cladius"  ? :P)  right lol

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• jaxsundanejaxsundane Member Posts: 2,776
    Originally posted by Nizur

Originally posted by Devour

I'd understand THAT. My point is that Aventurine says that the game is not for reviewers despite posting up any praise they can get from reviews, even if it's randomly and awkwardly taken out of context.

Hypocrisy of the highest degree.

And this is different from other MMO devs? What MMO dev posts negative reviews to their site? What MMO dev doesn't quote the most flattering lines from a review?

You have to admit DFO is not your typical MMO. It's not in the mainstream of WoW and its wannabe clones. Many reviewers who are used to those kinds of MMOs are not going to get DFO. It will come across as unforgiving, brutal, difficult, unfamiliar and so on. If you don't get the direction and concept of the game, and go in expecting another WoW clone you're going to be in for a rough ride.

That said, there's nothing wrong with posting gripes with the game in a review; places it needs to be refined or improved upon. No game is perfect, especially no MMO.

I think I've made my stance pretty clear as far as DF goes community: No like, game concept:not bad,devs:no like.  I mention this because before I put my stance on this issue on the forum I would like to say that I am pulling for DF to become some kind of success because again some of the things they are pushing for (or atleast I thought they were) sounds like it could be fun.

Now having said that I've never seen anyone go to the lengths Tasos did to discredit a reviewer, and then it doesn't help to turn around and say that the game is not good for reviewers.  Then maybe that was the Eurogamer reviewers problem too huh?

I don't think overall this is a real big deal because as has been pointed out before no one is going to post a negative review about there product (unless it's Domino's) but again I've never seen anyone try to discredit a reviewer until now.  And until he does so again though I also don't see this as a hot topic.

but yeah, to call this game Fantastic is like calling Twilight the Godfather of vampire movies....

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Has anyone noticed that the post in question is dated July 2009?

Almost 6 months ago...........................................

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Comnitus

Originally posted by jimmyman99

Originally posted by comerb
    Originally posted by Comnitus
    Thanks to Darth and Izure, I can now reiterate:
    Darkfall get good review = Darkfall fans happy.
    Darkfall get bad review = Darkfall fans SMASH!

Replace Darkfall with fans of any MMO in your statements and nothing changes.

This is the truth. I have no idea why people are bashing Darkfall fans for defending a game they love to play. Attack any MMO, and its fans will defend it.

In this case there was no attack, just a reference to an immature remark by a corporation.

I'm not talking about the reference, I'm talking about responses 6 and 18 and posters with similar mindsets bashing DFO fans for defending the game/dev in this thread and others. It's truly stupid to bash any people who like something for defending it.

Nah, we're not bashing you for defending your game. We're bashing you for how zealous you are (obviously, "you" doesn't necessarily mean everyone, just those who speak for the DF community; you know who "you" are). There's a difference between:

[*]"I didn't like the review. It was well-written, but the points he makes are wrong for X and Y reasons." (Admittedly, some Darkfall fans reacted this way. Which is good. But others...)
    "That review SUCKED! What the FUCK, did this guy even PLAY for more than FIVE MINUTES? SERIOUSLY! He's probably a WoW-LOVIN LITTLE KID who can't DEAL WITH HARDCORE DARKFALL, so he should just SHUT UP!"

No, those aren't exact quotes, but they're close enough.

Thanks for clearing this up. Your second example made me laugh because admittedly there are responses like this. Not quite that over-the-top, but close enough to make any sane person raise an eyebrow.

The MMO genre is made up of different types of games. When reviewing one, it's important to take into consideration what that game's target audience is. That's true. But what's also true is that game is going to be compared with the other games in the genre. Why? Because they're all MMOs. If you want to go and create your own sub-genre, go ahead. That's basically what's happened anyways; sandbox vs. themepark. Do you honestly think anyone in Darkfall's target audience would give it a bad review?

Hell. No.

I think what needs to be defined here is what makes for a "bad" review. A bad review is one like the first Eurogamer review. It was clear that the reviewer didn't spend much time actually playing the game. A review can not possibly be good if the reviewer goes into a game blind and ignorant of the game they're reviewing, especially when the game is a niche game like DFO. If you go in expecting your typical MMO, you're going to be in for a rude awakening.

Another similar kind of "bad" review is one that has obvious errors or flat out lies. Some are posted out of ignorance, while others are posted by trolls. A review can't be good if the reviewer doesn't even know what they're talking about. A simple admission of "I could be wrong on this, but" goes a long way into making a review better.

A "good" review doesn't have to be all positive or rosy. There have been "good" bad reviews of DFO here on these forums. People bringing up valid issues. People you know who have actually taken the time to learn the game. In the end, the game didn't work for them for reasons x, y and z and this is perfectly valid. I've been playing DFO for 3 months now, and I have a list of things I dislike about the game.

It's basically the best thing out there for them right now, so they can't bear to criticize it. If they do, it'll look something like this:
    "The UI sucks. But you know what? Who gives a flying fuck! This game is great. It's the best thing out there for a hardcore, FFA PvPer for me, and that's all I want. 10/10!"
    Really? Unbiased?

I'm not saying reviews are unbiased. All I'm wanting is for better reviews. Not necessarily positive reviews, just more thought out, well written and researched reviews. You can't expect DFO fans to sit around idly when there are quite a lot of crap reviews on their game. The game has no real marketing, it's mostly word of mouth and player reviews like the ones here on these forums. You have to expect passionate responses to truly poor reviews or trollish comments.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Nipashnaka

Allow me to make an analogy.

Lets say there is a new restaurant in town. It specializes in extremely hardcore spicy dishes, knowing that this is a niche market. But all the cooks love to eat spicy food, so they are cooking food they like to eat, and think there is enough of a market to support a business. That's great. They name it "Dangerous Flavor Outlet" or DFO.

About a month after Dangerous Flavor Outlet opens the critics start writing up reviews. It's terrible! 1 out of 5 stars! The menu is impossible to read, and the service is horrible. The food is spicy - so spicy in fact, that it seems to be masking spoiled ingredients and otherwise covering up bad taste.

The owners of DFO say: Well, these food critics aren't really into hardcore spices. They come in the door expecting some TGIFriday's or Bennigans clone. Go back to your mashed potatoes and baby food, this is food for culinarily adventurous!

The critics reply: No, no. We love spicy food. We eat spice food all the time. We just don't like this spicy food for the reasons we listed.

And the owners of DFO reply: Well, we're not making food for critics. 

Not only I enjoyed reading your post but it's also 100% accurate.

• rymanryman Member Posts: 227
    Originally posted by Izure

So a non factor scrub troll, who quit after the first hour when someone took his goblin loot, is posting a review that gave a sandbox targeted towards a NICHE crowd a 6 and is expecting what? After all the other review 1 6 isnt that bad for this small of a niche game.

Go back to your linear AION/instanced crap and let the big boys talk here.

That is true you are quite obese from not moving from your chair for fear your digital city will be destroyed.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Originally posted by TheHavok

Originally posted by MadnessRealm

Sorry but I have no clue of what you are trying to prove here....

The quote you mentionned was taken from Sean Bulger's review and so.....really I have no clue what the problem is....

Maybe, just maybe, Devour is trying to open up discussion.  You know, discussion, that thing that occurs on forums.

I know, but I don't understand the point he's trying to make. You know, the point, that thing that occurs in a discussion.

lol nice. I believe  "touche'" is in order.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops