Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What blows my mind... and is kinda sad in a way...

WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

It occurred to me last night that the Gathering system in Ryzom alone has more layers of detail in it than some MMOs I've tried have in the entire game.

In a nutshell, it's pretty straight-forward... Track, Prospect, Gathering. But when you look at how each of those individual steps breaks down, all the nuances and ways you can customize each phase to your own personal "style"... it's really quite amazing.

Any system where two people can work together simultaneously and both are kept equally busy is pretty darn amazing to me. That is... one person gathering while the other takes care of care-planning.

Then there's the combat and crafting... I think Ryzom is one of the few MMOs I've ever seen that laid out extremely detailed game systems... and actually pulled them off.

Too bad the game's gone through all it has... but maybe, considering where it is now, that was all for the better.

The whole thing is like a mini-game

I say it's sad because it shows just how - and I hate this phrase - dumbed down MMOs have become of late. Nowadays, in many newer MMOs harvesting requires looking for the little dot on your mini-map, running up and clicking on it. Voila. Done. No skill, no thinking, no planning, etc... just click. Boring. And there are people who'd complain that even *that* is "too much effort".

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
- Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

Comments

• Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

After playing Ryzom I'm shocked that no other game copied several systems it uses.

The stanza system and the affect is has on the game is amazing. Without it this game would be nothing but a Mob grinder.

The skill system is rather deep and the fact that its uncapped give players the option to progress their characters over years.

The AI system in game is something I've never seen before. 

Atys feels alive and it's sad that the game has such a low population. 

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

After playing Ryzom I'm shocked that no other game copied several systems it uses.
    The stanza system and the affect is has on the game is amazing. Without it this game would be nothing but a Mob grinder.
    The skill system is rather deep and the fact that its uncapped give players the option to progress their characters over years.
    The AI system in game is something I've never seen before. 
    Atys feels alive and it's sad that the game has such a low population. 

Indeed... Atys is very alive; another thing you don't see enough in other MMOs whose worlds are very spartan by comparison.

What's funny is when I read comments from people in other MMOs forums who will ask "how much can you really do with gathering in a game?"

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

More than they've probably dreamed of, unless they've played Ryzom or early SWG.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Does this game feature a free trial atm? I hear it's a subscription deal, but I'm totally willing to try it if there's a download.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Yep... 21 day free trial from the main website, ryzom.com; no credit card info needed.

I'm on that right now while I wait 'til I can get a gametime card to get a full sub... I have another thread here explaining why :-p

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627

Yeah, its a unique system.

But sadly most people i.e. "the masses" do see it as "too complicated" to pursue for more that a few days and give up. :(

I can´t count the times I´ve read complaints about just that.

People don´t want to think in a game, they want to have it serve them whats needed and thats it.

I´m glad that some few do seem to break from the mold and appreciate what Ryzom´s got.

But as is evident, most others absolutely despise to have to 1. work together, 2. use their brains to play.

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • GilgameeshGilgameesh Member UncommonPosts: 412

uhm... where are the elves?

oh, there are no dwarves?? and no boars!!!

what's this prospect means at all?? LOL I can't auto-loot??

what I have to do with these stanzas at all??

Argh, the game has no "nosferatu" power!!!! (real complaint from a newbie coming from EVE, asking for it in uni channel). No need to comment more.

Incredible, there are no recipes? I have to experiment and find b-y--m-y-s-e-l-f ???????

Hey, this little dog-like piece of crap pwned me in 3 hits... this game is bad.

Well ... i give this another try ....  "IDDQD" .... darn, doesn't work!

Nickname registered on www.mynickname.org

• CodenakCodenak Member UncommonPosts: 418

Gilgamesh, you haunting err "helping" on the starter isle again? :)

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627
    Originally posted by Gilgameesh

and no boars!!!

Do too! Coolest German GM is namend "Boar"

Love the guy!

And Gilga, you forgot: "We can´t jump???!!!111 This Game´s gonna die!!!11"

CU

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • Rockgod99Rockgod99 Member Posts: 4,640

Just a heads up, If any lurkers happen to come across this thread and are sick and tired of the more "modern" mmog.

Please give Saga of Ryzom a try.

It has a 21 day trial and truly is a unique experience. 

Playing: Rift, LotRO
    Waiting on: GW2, BP

• sekrogsekrog Member Posts: 261
    Originally posted by MaDSaM

Yeah, its a unique system.
    But sadly most people i.e. "the masses" do see it as "too complicated" to pursue for more that a few days and give up. :(
    I can´t count the times I´ve read complaints about just that.
    People don´t want to think in a game, they want to have it serve them whats needed and thats it.
    I´m glad that some few do seem to break from the mold and appreciate what Ryzom´s got.
    But as is evident, most others absolutely despise to have to 1. work together, 2. use their brains to play.

CU
    SaM

Although I agree with some of what you're saying, SaM, I actually don't believe that players don't want to "think".

In fact, I actually believe that there is a trend within the more established MMO community toward a desire for more complex and challenging MMO's (i.e. EVE, Fallen Earth, Darkfall, to name a few).  The dynamic that I've found most intriguing in MMO's lately, is that many players prefer to play solo, yet want to see thousands of other players playing solo around them when they're online!

I actually think that most online gamers would prefer to play together and use their brains, but both play styles have been disabled the "mainline" MMO's.  That is, so many of us have had such terrible experiences with community and PUG's in the mainline MMO's, that we've all but abandoned the idea when we try the more cerebraly (is that a word?) complex offerings. 

As for thinking MMO's like Ryzom, they would be well served if they provided a more user-friendly guide to their extremely complex and unique system.  I really like Ryzom, but their NPC convo dialogue windows could really use an upgrade (that wouldn't cost much or be that time-consuming to complete).  There is nothing wrong with making your game more accessible, as long as in doing so you don't lose the complexity that makes it so great!

So although I don't fall into the group that believes that nearly all MMO'ers are "loners and morons", I do think that niche games need to do a better job of promoting their innovations and uniqueness.  Why make your game dynamics so mysterious?  There's nothing wrong with holding a new player's hand for the first few days of a trial and thoroughly immerse and welcome them into your game world.

If Ryzom did a better job of that, I'd guarantee it would have MANY more subscribers.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Rockgod99

Just a heads up, If any lurkers happen to come across this thread and are sick and tired of the more "modern" mmog.
    Please give Saga of Ryzom a try.
    It has a 21 day trial and truly is a unique experience. 

Been there, done that. I played SoR for a few months after launch. Between the issues(just about any game has them at launch), and the fact that there was so little documentation on the various sub systems, I eventually gave up.  I went back for a month awhile back, and the game was a ghost town.  Its not all that solo friendly, and the established guilds are inwardly focused. 

Its too bad, as the game has potential.  Its not simply the complex nature, as I've played Eve on line off and on for more than 4 years.  But such WILL niche a game given the current player base demographics. But if they improved their new player experience(as Eve has), they might retain more people.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."