Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I don't get it...

14567810»

Comments

• SmatthewsSmatthews Member Posts: 67

SWG did great, and while the game rocked the IP healed a whole bunch.  Lets just let the troll topic die its gone on for way to long

• AstralglideAstralglide Member UncommonPosts: 686

I too, am looking forward to this game. Bioware has yet to dissapoint.

A witty saying proves nothing.
    -Voltaire

• XanrnXanrn Member Posts: 154

Well I ran outa patience with Obivious Trolltard boy about half way through.

Highlights of these thread.

A Final Fantasy fanboi taking a potshot at Lightsabres for being unrealistic weapons. Yeah because having swords the size of a car is so realistic.

Apparantly people who grew up with Star Wars are 50 years old!

Holy flurking snit why didn't anyone tell me this year was my 50th birthday and not my 28th. All that life pished away, lost like tears in the rain.

Odd that I was born the same year as Return of Jedi was released and all that time me and my friends spent playing Star Wars as we were growing up.

What are the release dates for the original 3 movies, 1977, 1980 and 1983. Wait that's not 50 years ago, its not even 40.

So OTB fails at maths aswell as english, not surprised there cause he also fails at basic trollish.

A Good Troll is like a good Submarine commander, you don't know they are there until your thread/ship is a flaming wreck. Obivious trolls are bad trolls, because they suck at hiding the fact they are trolls, idiot.

• NamicoNamico Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by Palebane

Originally posted by Newmeanie

I just don't get it.

I do not see a MMO based on STAR WARS being excessively popular for more than a month.
    Its a fun idea, but its not a lasting impression, i mean... Its freaking star wars.

Thats like making a Muppets MMO.

SWG was very popular.

But whas that because it whas star wars or because of something else? hint, hint!

I really liked SWG (Pre-NGE) but sence i find the movies so intemidating boring and unintresting, i took some time to convince me to even try that game back than, simply  because it had the name star wars on it... im a little more open minded now to this game, because its proven that its not always about the "star wars" theres a lot of other factors, but still i dont like the movies at all, even after playing SWG, and im most likely never will.

• NifaNifa Member Posts: 324

Perhaps this is why I don't get it, I hate story driven games, i prefer having fun.

You hate story driven games and yet you play Final Fantasy - (arguably) the gold standard in story-driven gaming for an entire generation?

Am I the only person here who sees this statement as being an oxymoron?  

Or do you qualify the statement by saying that you have never played and do not intend to play any FF except for XI and plan to never play any future FF except XIV?

Firebrand Art

"You are obviously confusing a mature rating with actual maturity." -Asherman

Maybe MMO is not your genre, go play Modern Warfare...or something you can be all twitchy...and rank up all night. This is seriously getting tired. -Ranyr

• rebelhero1rebelhero1 Member Posts: 229

I just don't get it.

I do not see a MMO based on STAR WARS being excessively popular for more than a month.
    Its a fun idea, but its not a lasting impression, i mean... Its freaking star wars.

Ignorance is not a commendable trait when the knowledge is there for you to learn.

Perhaps you should look up the small, but acceptable, amount of information they have actually released, look at the fact that SWG would still be one of the greatest and most popular MMO's if they didn't screw it in the butt and lastly (and most certainly not least), stop "trolling".

Then post again. Your word may then have merit in this most intelligent, eloquent and luminescent of all the posts on these forums.

Playing: *sigh* back to WoW :(
    --------
    Waiting for: SW:TOR, APB, WoD
    ---------
    Played and loved: Eve and WoW
    --------
    Played and hated: WoW:WotLK, Warhammer, every single F2P

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

I just don't get it.

I hate to break it to you kid, but you could fill a warehouse with things you don't get.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

I don't see why people keep comparing FF and TOR here ; STO I would understand but FF?

As certainly as I'm looking forward TOR, even if it shall be a game for kiddies, I'm not even raising an eye towards FF. Actually you'd have to pay me to play FF, even more as it doesn't have jumping, bleh!

• ThrawlThrawl Member Posts: 271

I just don't get it.

Hey Kermit the Frog is UBER!!!

Our spirit was here long before you

Long before us

And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

You say 22 million watch religiously everyweek... Take Half of them and put htem in an MMO?   If you took all your favorited STAR WARS fans, would you say HALF of them played SWG? Not a freaking chance. that stat is out of left field.

The problem with your thinking is, it's stuck in 2003. You're forgetting one major, highly significant factor. Online gaming is on the rise, and big time. As someone said earlier this could very well be another gateway MMO, like wow was a few years ago. There's another major difference, this game will be accessible and follow theme-park design (most likely well).SWG was not accessible especially for someone new to online gaming. That can make all the difference in the world, look at WOW.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DahlifyrDahlifyr Member UncommonPosts: 134

You guys that are defending Swtor, do you really think that this game will, just couse it have fluff like Voiceovers, make people give up theire current MMO and come to this one?

Games like Darkfall and even Mortal Online, there we have games with a company trying to give us a new breath of fresh air. Swtor is made by an company stuck in an image, an image they will now take to the MMO-world, it will not offer anything inovative and groundbraking. Dont`t you guys want to play a game, make youre own story and explore in freedome intstead of being spoonfeed the story to you in an linear and boring world wihtout freedome?

I think this game will be THE mmo when its comes to linear worlds and boring gameplay, and IF that is so i hope that no one will ever try to build and MMO-world built on things that arent needed in an MMO.

Yeah, im kind of pissed towards people that are hyping this game even though we basicly know anything about it. So i just felt the need to make an negativ post, you see you guys know as much as we other.

• camp11111camp11111 Member Posts: 602
    Originally posted by darkangel99

man i think the op has taken too many acid hits or something today.  First of all it is star wars, an ip that has made more money from movies and books than you can even dream about and probably more than several countries.  I cant even believe somebody is debating the popularity of this IP, that is the most moronic argument ive ever heard. 
    secondly this game is going to be the next gen of mmos, let us count the ways it will be different.

1.  Full voice over.  the entire game is voiced,  you dotn wanna read quest text, you dont have to, the game is fully voiced.  Oh and by the way this game will have more text than all the star wars movies, and the books and basically any movie you can name, this game has it beat in terms of actual text.
    waste of time. Listening to EACH NPC interaction with a voice over is simply a straight way to being a dead game in no time. Reference; AoConan: skip, skip, skip skip. Next.
    2.  epic story content from level 1.  no more kill ten rats or wolves or scorpions and bring back some nasty animal parts, you know the norm for every single game out there, including probably the ones in development, plus the story will just keep coming as you level.
    The more epic story the more liniair "one time to see" content. Once seen, nobody will want to "hear" it a second time. Skip. Skip . Skip. next.
    3.  in game actions matter in the game world.  when you do something, like say kill the captain of this starship since that is the trailer that has been talked about so much, the whole game is different for you.  if you let him live you would still play a different game altogether, NO other mmo has ever done this,, ever.  In every other mmo you go kill captain stabby stab and you leave and go back in and kill captain stabby stab again, and do it again, and again till you are sick of captain stabby stab.
    Phasing - the technique - is only useful when the main stage is being redrawn, NOT for every single individual action you make or you'll end up in a very very lonely solo activity to run through. Doing it again and again and again in this case will you let die out of loneliness ... because in the Xth degree no one will even be there around you.
    4.  Cover and hiding behind real world objects.  Now this one im not for certain if it is truly a first as i think tabula rasa did it, maybe not, idk.  bioware said it is a first for mmo's, but either way it is damn different from just about every other mmo.
    LOS is introduced in about any other MMORPG I saw lately. Cover and hiding behind objects is done since .... MMO's went 3D. That's around 12 years ago...
    5.  cinematic choreagraphed combat.  actual real combat, not just stand there and swing your weapon and your opponents health bar goes down, combat will be fast paced and cinematic, you will block your opponents attacks, he will block yours and it will show the blocks, not just a popup of a number that says you blocked and how much damage you avoided.  if you actually block the attack you will know it by looking at it cause you will see the block.  this i know has never been done, every other mmo is swing and opponent takes damage or not, hit or miss, no actual animation just swinging a weapon.
    First experience than hype. "The only thing that counts is fast fluild responsive actions of your avatar". That btw is not obtainable with a "full cinematic choreagraphed (sic)" combat in ANY mmorpg. reason is simple: it can' t be done without L O N G preloaded loading graphics screens. Not possible.
    now if just those things are the only things new and innovative, this game will put every other game out there on the shelf.  there will probably be more and there is probably something im missing but this game will be a great game, it wont be for everyone but it will be great.  I think the op knows this and is just trying to put out negative publicity cause he is scared its gonna knock wow off the pedestal, which it is going to do, swtor will take its place at the top of the mmo pedestal, and knock wow off that pedestal and that is when we will start to see the downfall of wow, remember you heard it here first.

But .... the mechanism that will kill SW in a very short period are the henchmen NPC's who will act as NPC tank and healer replacement.

Their influence will kill ALL initiative to group play. And these days it is very difficult to let players group up.

Let alone if they each have their own little tankie or healie comfortable at their lazy minds and sides.

The makers have still around 10 months to take that old principle out of the game. Yes I know, when they created the game mechanic it was the only way to counter the problem with finding groups.

Also: People who like to play mmorpg's make up their own stories : they only need a reference. They do not like to play a liniair quest game. There is simply no replayability in that kind of game. the voice over will all make it even more frustrating and .... frustrating.

Skip. Skip.skip those audio monologues is what people will do beyond the first levels.

Want a real mmorpg? Play WOW with experience turned off mode and be Pve_Pvp King at any level without a rat race.

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447
    Originally posted by camp11111

Originally posted by darkangel99

man i think the op has taken too many acid hits or something today.  First of all it is star wars, an ip that has made more money from movies and books than you can even dream about and probably more than several countries.  I cant even believe somebody is debating the popularity of this IP, that is the most moronic argument ive ever heard. 
    secondly this game is going to be the next gen of mmos, let us count the ways it will be different.

1.  Full voice over.  the entire game is voiced,  you dotn wanna read quest text, you dont have to, the game is fully voiced.  Oh and by the way this game will have more text than all the star wars movies, and the books and basically any movie you can name, this game has it beat in terms of actual text.
    waste of time. Listening to EACH NPC interaction with a voice over is simply a straight way to being a dead game in no time. Reference; AoConan: skip, skip, skip skip. Next.
    2.  epic story content from level 1.  no more kill ten rats or wolves or scorpions and bring back some nasty animal parts, you know the norm for every single game out there, including probably the ones in development, plus the story will just keep coming as you level.
    The more epic story the more liniair "one time to see" content. Once seen, nobody will want to "hear" it a second time. Skip. Skip . Skip. next.
    3.  in game actions matter in the game world.  when you do something, like say kill the captain of this starship since that is the trailer that has been talked about so much, the whole game is different for you.  if you let him live you would still play a different game altogether, NO other mmo has ever done this,, ever.  In every other mmo you go kill captain stabby stab and you leave and go back in and kill captain stabby stab again, and do it again, and again till you are sick of captain stabby stab.
    Phasing - the technique - is only useful when the main stage is being redrawn, NOT for every single individual action you make or you'll end up in a very very lonely solo activity to run through. Doing it again and again and again in this case will you let die out of loneliness ... because in the Xth degree no one will even be there around you.
    4.  Cover and hiding behind real world objects.  Now this one im not for certain if it is truly a first as i think tabula rasa did it, maybe not, idk.  bioware said it is a first for mmo's, but either way it is damn different from just about every other mmo.
    LOS is introduced in about any other MMORPG I saw lately. Cover and hiding behind objects is done since .... MMO's went 3D. That's around 12 years ago...
    5.  cinematic choreagraphed combat.  actual real combat, not just stand there and swing your weapon and your opponents health bar goes down, combat will be fast paced and cinematic, you will block your opponents attacks, he will block yours and it will show the blocks, not just a popup of a number that says you blocked and how much damage you avoided.  if you actually block the attack you will know it by looking at it cause you will see the block.  this i know has never been done, every other mmo is swing and opponent takes damage or not, hit or miss, no actual animation just swinging a weapon.
    First experience than hype. "The only thing that counts is fast fluild responsive actions of your avatar". That btw is not obtainable with a "full cinematic choreagraphed (sic)" combat in ANY mmorpg. reason is simple: it can' t be done without L O N G preloaded loading graphics screens. Not possible.
    now if just those things are the only things new and innovative, this game will put every other game out there on the shelf.  there will probably be more and there is probably something im missing but this game will be a great game, it wont be for everyone but it will be great.  I think the op knows this and is just trying to put out negative publicity cause he is scared its gonna knock wow off the pedestal, which it is going to do, swtor will take its place at the top of the mmo pedestal, and knock wow off that pedestal and that is when we will start to see the downfall of wow, remember you heard it here first.

But .... the mechanism that will kill SW in a very short period are the henchmen NPC's who will act as NPC tank and healer replacement.

Their influence will kill ALL initiative to group play. And these days it is very difficult to let players group up.

Let alone if they each have their own little tankie or healie comfortable at their lazy minds and sides.

The makers have still around 10 months to take that old principle out of the game. Yes I know, when they created the game mechanic it was the only way to counter the problem with finding groups.

Also: People who like to play mmorpg's make up their own stories : they only need a reference. They do not like to play a liniair quest game. There is simply no replayability in that kind of game. the voice over will all make it even more frustrating and .... frustrating.

Skip. Skip.skip those audio monologues is what people will do beyond the first levels.

Your speaking for yourself mate, I know for the first time through, most people will appreciate the work that went in, and the voices will add a depth thats been missing from most game content to date. The difference between the dialogue of AoC and Swtor, is that your response actually changes the route ahead of you. However, AoC, did not. So you should pay attention and not skip skip skip.

Im sorry to say this game wasn't designed for people with your approach to gaming. Nothing wrong with it, but can't complain when somethings not being made to cater for your tastes. They are afterall, trying to please their original Kotor fan base, and the dialogue was a main part of what got that game, 'game of the year.'

As for the cover system, I think it's more of a 'shoot from cover' approach. So they get a bonus to defense, abit more of a cool animation. I could take cover in STO, doesn't mean there was a cover system. I had to get out of their line of sight and doing that, doesn't equate to a tested and made cover system. All it is, is blocking their targetting.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180

Preposterous on all counts.  People won't like this game because of Voice Overs?  The gameplay will be linear?  I don't think some of you that are being negative towards these aspects have ever played a BioWare game recently.  BioWare games all have these same choices, with voiceovers.  They are also widely popular.  Making that kind of system in an MMO isn't going to hurt anyone.  Linearity of story?  If by linear you mean that you'll have a story, then sure, consider it linear... but if you've ever played a BioWare game, you'd know that within each story, each choice you make defines where your story goes.  You could play the very same character twice at least, and never choose the same options or see the same things.

We have very little information to what extent the companions will assist us.  We have very little information on how much group content will be provided outside of the story missions.  There is a lot we do not know.  Therefore the blind hatred just for the fact that people are excited about it, is ridiculous.  I know its cool to hate things on this forum, but making up generalities just so you can dislike them is not the way to go. 

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

I just read this whole thread, each and every post on it. And more than anything. I'm left confused.

My first question is this: Why do we have to compare the two games. It's obvious they will be VERY different. Do we have something to lose by having 2 well done and popular MMO's on the market at the same time?

I'm a big fan of both franchises. Therefore, I have a high level of interest in both games. And even if I were to choose one over the other, I would still hope that the unchosen game would have great success.

#2 I don't get the hatred for a story based mmo. You can make the argument that most people don't read quest dialogue in mmos anyway, but has it occured to anyone that its true because the story (and thus the reason for questing) is rubbish anyway. You may not like to read novels, but if a good story gets you hooked you'll read it whether you wanted to initially or not. Having a great story can eliminate grind (or at least the feeling of it) and give players something to focus on other than collecting the best gear or attaining the highest level.

#3 The idea that the game won't maintain a strong playerbase, is ludicrous. Yes, the IP will sell boxes, but both the IP and Bioware (and the emphasis on story and fun) will keep it going. Having a different story arc for each class creates replayability and the fact that your choices can impact that story adds to that further. If you're talking about the life of a game, length and replay value are paramount, and that goes for all games (not just MMOs)

#4 The OPs argument that the game won't be popular with younger players. That's crazy talk and I'm guessing is based on the fact that he (and I'm guessing his "crowd") aren't into Star Wars. The reason I say that's crazy is because SW games continue to be a success with every release. The KOTOR games have been one of the best selling franchises of all time. Do you really think that was all older gamers??? Even people that initially stayed away because it was SW, played and got hooked because the title was massively outweighed by the fact that they were GREAT games. Hell, I have an 11 year old nephew that LOVES the SW games, and he's never seen any of the movies. Since KOTOR, there has been Battlefront, The Force Unleashed, and Lego Star Wars, all of which have been massive successes.

The bottom line is, if the game is fun, people will buy, play, and continue to play it, regardless of the name that's on the box. And if its not, then people will bail, regardless.

As for me, I'm looking forward to playing an MMORPG that doesn't short me on the RPG elements. Sounds to me like this game is getting back to what really matters.

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

I just don't get it.

Haha ya i agree. I watch the movies if I want a star wars fix...personally I have 0 interest in playing a MMO based on it. I love Bioware but I wouldnt touch TOR with a 10 foot pole lol. Actually I have 0 interest in sci fi MMOs in general...

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

• darkwarhammedarkwarhamme Member UncommonPosts: 55

A lot of good points have been made. I have also read this thread, and watched it evolve over time, and have come to the conclusion that a lot of people are making big speculations as to what will or will not be in the game. Many are basing their rationale of the game failing on the sparse amount of information they have leaked out, or from reading way too much in between the lines.

If the game releases only with features that have been explained thus far will it be a resounding success? Most likely not. It would still probably do decent. Though I highly doubt this is it for the game. I'm pretty sure they are holding back a lot, and not giving us much information to keep people from getting false ideas about certain features. The death of most MMOs have come because people misunderstood what a developer meant when they said a certain feature would be in there.

Most gamers are jaded at this point. Many have gone through the motions of getting pumped up for an MMO, and have championed its cause only to be let down by its failure to give the experience they were hoping for. Thus many are unwilling to see any MMO as having a chance at surviving, or thriving for that matter, for the fact that there hasn't been a strong showing as of late.

I'm not discrediting anything anyone has said, many of the con arguments have been well thought out and worded. The only problem I have is crediting the success or failure of an MMO solely on the very little amount of information we have been given thus far. Is it going to be a single player game? I highly doubt it. A Co-op game? No, just because the only footage they have shown in regards to grouping has been two people, doesn't mean that is the main focus of the game. That would be like saying, "So far with the Final Fantasy 14 footage I have only seen people soloing, thus you don't group in the game."

Also, with the younger crowd not being into Star Wars, I have some news about that. Star Wars is HUGE among the younger crowd. Walk into any toys'r'us or go to an elementary/middle school and tell me there isn't a big Star Wars fanbase there. I work with kids, and I can tell you they may be even more devout star wars fans than many of the older generation.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

I just don't get it.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Dahlifyr

You guys that are defending Swtor, do you really think that this game will, just couse it have fluff like Voiceovers, make people give up theire current MMO and come to this one?
    Who said anything about this game doing that? The only way that happens is if the game they are playing is lacking and something comes along that is better. Sort of like what we saw in 2004 with World of Warcraft. It's too early at this point to say if TOR will have that kind of effect.
    Games like Darkfall and even Mortal Online, there we have games with a company trying to give us a new breath of fresh air. Swtor is made by an company stuck in an image, an image they will now take to the MMO-world, it will not offer anything inovative and groundbraking. Dont`t you guys want to play a game, make youre own story and explore in freedome intstead of being spoonfeed the story to you in an linear and boring world wihtout freedome?
    Obviously they don't want to play a game like Darkfall or Mortal Online if they are here. Why even bring those games up? Are the numbers so low in those games that you feel the need to promote them?
    I think this game will be THE mmo when its comes to linear worlds and boring gameplay, and IF that is so i hope that no one will ever try to build and MMO-world built on things that arent needed in an MMO.
    Story isn't needed in an MMO? Having an effect on the world around you isn't needed in an MMO? Personally I think extreme death penalties aren't needed in an MMO and is the reason why games that include them aren't played by  the masses.
    Yeah, im kind of pissed towards people that are hyping this game even though we basicly know anything about it. So i just felt the need to make an negativ post, you see you guys know as much as we other.

Yeah, as if there was NO overhyping going on around this site with Darkfall before its release.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• N3oN_666N3oN_666 Member Posts: 136

*Begins typing out a long response to OP, Notice the Final Fantasy sig and stop* God damn weeabos ruin every thing.

• omomeomome Member Posts: 203

I have a Bento Box for sale, its not pinku or any other girl color.

• ray12kray12k Member UncommonPosts: 487

Originally posted by MMOrUS

Originally posted by BloodDuality

SWTOR just seems like it has become Guild Wars in the Star Trek world to me. They may have a good story line, but from what I have seen it looks like it will be a more single player experience. I am fine with soloing in an mmo, but I still like to meet others and explore a big open world together. Right now unless I hear something to prove my feelings wrong I will not be giving the game a try, and will instead look forward to some of the other upcomign games.

There is a large FAQ at the main SWTOR website that points out that the game is indeed just like every other MMO out there, there is large scale exploration where you WILL meet other players, there is an opportunity to group with other players, there are MMO things to do in the game with real ppl.

People are generally getting carried away with the "Story" concept, yes it has a big story but that doesn't mean you still can't just ignore it and go grind countless mobs with your friends out in the wilderness if thats what you prefer and what makes the game feel like a proper MMO for you.

Is innovation scaring some ppl ? undoubtedly from the responses it seems to be the case. Why all the fear and hostility towards another aspect of a game that is so poorly implemented within MMO's? is having a story such an horrendous thing?

Maybe we're just scared.

I don't want people to leave combat/progression based MMOs infavor of reading quest texted and RPing.

If the majority of players do, I'll be sorely disappointed

lol btw ff sucks. I think swtor will have one of the biggest releases, well atleast that we sen in a while. Forst its staw wars and will have a instint base. 2nd allot of preteens and teens will jump to any new game that is released lol.

I wont by the game, in my opinion the whole solo conent sems boring but the again ff mmo's are dull as well. I will wait for tera online and play bd bad comp 2 tell then lol

• RedRaptor22RedRaptor22 Member Posts: 44

I can't wait to see what bioware can do with this game.

If it's half the game Mass Effect 2 is it's still 4xs better than any mmo out there...And from seeing the gameplay videos it's already twice as polished and smooth as any of the top games released in the last two years.

• I like Bioware's imput on starwars.  Its alot more adult and dark than the actual movies.  I enjoy their kotor games more than i enjoyed the movies.