Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallen Earth: Fallen Earth Review

Comments

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Deien

People who wont try and game cause it looks bad are just dumb and retarded. I will try any game out there no matter how bad it looks it matters how well it play's.

Heh. What is retarted is to buy the latest GFX card, CPU and memory and play games that does not take advantage of that.

If you dont want to spend money on your computer to make games look better than that is your choice. Alot of other gamers do spend alot of money on their rigs and want to see some results of that.

• megaraxmegarax Member UncommonPosts: 269

I have no problem playing, and I'm in Sweden. Lot's of  europeans are  playing.

• StarchStarch Member Posts: 6

According the Developers of Fallen Earth the maximum level going 150 with over 10 sectors including Las Vegas.

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by Yamota

Heh. What is retarted is to buy the latest GFX card, CPU and memory and play games that does not take advantage of that.
    If you dont want to spend money on your computer to make games look better than that is your choice. Alot of other gamers do spend alot of money on their rigs and want to see some results of that.

High end graphics is quite a double edged sword in an mmo. You could end up limiting your player base.

Depends on what crowd you are playing to as well. To get a big non-instanced world, the trade off was high end graphics. If everything was compartmentalized (heavily zoned and instanced) than that's a whole different scenario.

• CenthanCenthan Member Posts: 483
    Originally posted by Player_420

I enjoyed the part where the reviewer admitted he couldnt "get into the town based pvp conflict"...which starts at sector 2 which is level 16-18+.....so your admitting you really didnt get very far in the game?
    another joke review in my opinion from a guy who couldnt even experiance endgame content which I find very enjoyable 3 months in.

So maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but we have to wait 3 months before the game gets fun?

Maybe some aren't willing to do that.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

I agree, I think, right now, the game that has the most room to improve and become better, is this game. It has the fun sandbox type of gameplay lots of people will like. If only our stereotype for MMO's weren't so high when it comes to graphics and combat. I think they could use revamping. The graphics compare as in to SWG graphics. Very, old. Combat on the other hand is, not as hardcore as expected. If they could improve the FPS combat, and animations. The game would be Irriestiable. Maybe use the combat system alittle more along the lines of borderlands. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• afoaaafoaa Member UncommonPosts: 578
    Originally posted by Scot

Such a shame this is not a game yet launched in Europe or I would have jumped on board. As for the graphics it is an apocalyptic world, do you really need to see rust and hand crafted hand me downs in that much detail?

Eh? The game is download only and is a world release. A recent survery showed that around 40% of the people who play it are from Europe.

"You are the hero our legends have foretold will save our tribe, therefore please go kill 10 pigs."

• jeromecdxxjeromecdxx Member Posts: 5

I'm liking FE quite a bit. The game has a free 10 day trial for those considering it. It's not widely available in stores anywhere, so check out the game's site for download vendors. It's available internationally as I've seen quite a bit of scandinavian and russian on the boards and in-game.

Free trial, you've got nothing to lose but a bit of time and you might like it.

Jer

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971
    Originally posted by Athaba

<snip>
    Okay now what I intended to say in first place.
    Since I generally do not agree with MMORPG.coms reviews I'm afraid this game won't be something for me.
    And I have some questions:
    Is the community mature?
    Does real role play exist?
    Are there many players online?

Since no-one else answered your questions, I'll bite.

The community is slightly above par on the maturity curve. It's a heck of a lot more mature than some (naming no names to avoid flames), and there's a chat channel devoted to new players (you auto join it) filled with helpful players to answer questions. Given that it's a single server world, people are less inclined to act the idiot. 

Does real RP exist? Yes, it does. There are RP clans (as you'd expect) but there's also a really high incidence of it in the world at large. This is partly due to the community and partly due to the immersiveness of the world. You really do feel like you're in a wasteland, RP seems natural, and you'll frequently trip over people engaging in random RP out in the middle of nowhere as well as in towns. 

I'm playing from Europe and have yet to log in to a dead zone. I flip between alts for crafting etc. and there seem to be people around everywhere all the time. Another benefit of the single-server world. 

As I'm sure you're aware there's a free trial at the moment, accessible through the FE website - try it and see what you think. 

The review here was very fair, and the reviewer obviously spent a good bit of time in-game. FE is not perfect, but as long as Icarus keep up the good work they'll have my subs money. Been playing since October and am still having a blast. 

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Just to the add to the last poster before me:

The game has a fairly mature audience.  GMs monitor chat, which I love.  You won't see anyone spamming the help or LFG channel with jokes.  Try logging into another major MMO and ignoring the chat spam.  Here it is normally  helpful, people asking for advice.

I'm only level 14, but the world so far seems fairly populated.  It's not crowded in any sense.  You can ride around and not see anyone for a while.  Then go to town and see people crafting or gathering up quests.  

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

Best MMORPG since they destroyed Ultima Online when Richard and Blackie quit and Tram was introduced.

Haven't enjoyed a MMORPG so much since SWG pre-cu and tend to stay for a good number of years.

• CernanCernan Member UncommonPosts: 360

Oh and for anyone still reading this...here is a link containing comparison pictures for the graphics update that just came out today.  Kinda bad timing on this review.  It came out the same day the graphics got a major boost.

www.tentonhammer.com/node/78850

Edit:  I'm not trying to endorse other sites.  I come here for most of my gaming news on MMOs.  The other site just happened to have pics of old vs new graphics. 

• solusbelatorsolusbelator Member Posts: 102

Thank you for a fair and honest review. 

Only part I don't get is people talking about the graphics.  I love graphics as much as the next person.  But for a few textures here and there, there is a lot of detail in Fallen Earth textures.  It's true they aren't bright and shiny like say LOTR, but the detail of the textures is very good.  The textures capture the feeling and mood the devs are trying to portray imho.

• mCalvertmCalvert Member CommonPosts: 1,283

Cant agree with the review on the basis of crafting. While it may be more complex than more popular MMOs, it is extremely flawed. Resources are random, and higher level resources can not be used in lower level items, so you have to try and get lower level resources from noob zones, or buy them from vendors, which sell nearly everything for pretty decent prices, making crafters unnecesary. Since you bind equipment, cant sell used equipment, and never lose it by dying, once you have something there isnt much need to build it or buy it. WHich means dead economy. You also have to quest, grind, get AP in order to craft anything advanced. You can not craft anything unless you get your stats up and you cant get your stats up without getting XP killing things. The game is decent, unique, and entertaining for a while, but lack of endgame content and the enevitable focus on grinding xp makes it similar to other games.

• StarchStarch Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Centhan

Originally posted by Player_420

I enjoyed the part where the reviewer admitted he couldnt "get into the town based pvp conflict"...which starts at sector 2 which is level 16-18+.....so your admitting you really didnt get very far in the game?
    another joke review in my opinion from a guy who couldnt even experiance endgame content which I find very enjoyable 3 months in.

So maybe I'm misunderstanding you, but we have to wait 3 months before the game gets fun?

Maybe some aren't willing to do that.

This game is either you love it or you hate it. Personally I love this game, Great Customer Supporter, Friendly GMs and Community. Solid PVE. This game is 20% Theme Park, and 80% Sandbox. I think those you don't like or hate this game are most Theme Park type fans.

• CzargioCzargio Member Posts: 183

A much better review than the first, reflects my sentiments about the game for the most part. I feel like this game has so much promise that I'm looking past its shortcomings and having a really good time.

• thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127

Well, I downloaded, installed and played the game last night...other than almost 7 hours to download, install, file check'/upgrade and some problems with getting booted a lil too often....so far I like it.. Good chance I may buy/sub after my 10 day trial.

As far as graphics...I don't see them as being so terrible.

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Originally posted by mCalvert

A buttload of nonsense and BS...

I don't usually call shenanigans on people publicly, but have you even played Fallen Earth or are you just trying to sound like you have in order to bash the game and sound more legitimate? Because everything in that that paragraph was either completely wrong or a half-truth at best... and I'm not going to bother refuting it point per point, but to say that I've been testing and playing FE since 11/17/08. During that time I have been a huge fan of the game and one of it's biggest critics. Even on this very site if you go back through my posts about FE you will see my criticisms... So I am by no means a "fanboi" jumping on anyone that even whispers a bad word about FE, but I won't hesitate if I think someone is spouting BS.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• Justarius1Justarius1 Member Posts: 381

I'm a long, long time gamer.  I still play weekly (sometimes twice a week) games of both Castles & Crusades (a version of D&D influenced by Gygax that plays a lot like 1st edition AD&D, but simplified) - and the shiny new 4th edition D&D that some people hate, some love, and some love to hate.  I played Vampire LARPing some 15 years ago when that kind of thing was popular.  I played MUDs and MUSHes...  I'm a 30 year old gamer who started when he was 12, so perhaps my view on things is a bit skewed but...

I *love* Fallen Earth.  It is one of 2 MMO's I play, the other being WAR for the simplistic and fun PvP WAR offers.  (Say what you want about WAR but I like being able to log on, play a 15 minute scenario, and bash heads if I have 30 minutes to kill - no other game gets you in the action as fast as WAR.)

Fallen Earth satisfies a different side of my gamer nature - the side that wants to spend countless hours tweaking my character and exploring a vast, vast world while I learn how to craft, combat, and interact with an environment entirely alien to me.  Fallen Earth seems NEW and exciting and fresh - I also tried playing Aion when it came out and despite repeated attempts to really enjoy Aion, I just couldn't.  The cartoony graphics and the feeling that I was killing Pokemon over and over and over and over again to get to some end-game Abyss PvPvE combat that even the end-gamers said wasn't very exciting was just... not for me.

Fallen Earth is the first MMO I have been excited about in a long time, and it's definitely going to be a subscription of mine during the entire year of 2010 as I watch it grow and improve.  Hell, I'll give them my $15 a month forever as long as they don't start messing around with an "item shop" or RMT.  

Great review.  Can't say I totally agree with you about the graphics - especially after this last patch they look pretty sweet when pumped up to optimum levels - but character animations and physics, yes, need a bit of work.  A minor issue for a game that otherwise has completely captivated me.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I can give a VERY simple review because i would be accurate in every sense of the review.

IMO the entire game ,i mean almost every last shred is a 6/10.It does not do anything real bad but it does not do anything real good,there lies the problem.

If the best parts of the game are only 6 it really does not give anything to grasp onto for longevity.I can see how the lowest score being a 6 is good to some,but when i look to games to play for longevity,i look for the upper scores not the median.

I would really have to strain myself to grasp for something i could rate a 7,if i was forced at gun point i might say the large feeling of freedom,but really there is nothing that warrants a very good rating just average across the board.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

No matter how you slice it, no one person here is above anyone else. No one persons opinion is correct making everyone else's wrong. This is I think something that the conceit that internet anonymity brings tends to make people forget. You are God of your world, and noone else's. Your opinion is no more right for me than mine is for you. To claim anything else is pure narcissism. This is the point I always try and get across, always find out for yourself... because your opinion is the only one that matters.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• thorosuchthorosuch Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Originally posted by Darkholme

No matter how you slice it, no one person here is above anyone else. No one persons opinion is correct making everyone else's wrong. This is I think something that the conceit that internet anonymity brings tends to make people forget. You are God of your world, and noone else's. Your opinion is no more right for me than mine is for you. To claim anything else is pure narcissism. This is the point I always try and get across, always find out for yourself... because your opinion is the only one that matters.

I second that!

Getting old is mandatory...growing up is optional.

• auutumnauutumn Member Posts: 14

A good review. I was part of the beta and wrote-up numerous issues with the game that were pointed out in this review and I'm sorry to hear, but not surprised, that the combat, physics, and visuals have not been updated since then. I installed the latest version of the game and uninstalled it the next day. The game is very awkward to play and feels odd. There's no real sense of immersion when walking around and participating in the so-called story.  Fo rme, this game is DOA!!!!

• PzfaustPzfaust Member Posts: 26

I think that the review is quite objective but overgenerous in a final score. I,as a former FE player, would give the game a 5 or even a 4 score.

FE was fun for 2-2,5 months but after getting to lvl45 I was already so bored that I cancelled my subscription.

For me as  a casual pve explorer the game became just dull right after sector 2.  Sector3 is as small as s2 - once you get a quick transportation mode such as a motorcycle there's nothing left to explore. 

What was gamebreaking for me was atrocious npcs' AI - constant pathing problems, mobs run and shoot trough the walls, trees and just any obstacle.  Absolutely no fun in that department.  No variety in high level  mobs behaviour as well.

Once you get to lvl 45 there's nothing to do if you are an adventurer.  The gameplay basically consists of mindless faction wheel grinding to get the max number of mutations - to become a Jedi.

Factions do not work - you go into any pvp zone to help you faction and you discover that you are fired upon by the same faction members.  All pvp zones are controlled by large multi faction clans. So you ahve to side with a clan and take a hit to your faction standing.

Overall, I regret to say it, but FE fails to bring anything new or original into game genre. Mutations are your magic, crafting is plain primitive if you get the needed components.

• VideoJockeyVideoJockey Member UncommonPosts: 223

Maybe I'm jaded because I've been playing MMOs for almost a decade, but FE just didn't pull me in. It didn't offer anything new. The graphics are dated, the interface is awkward, and I never found a reason to progress my character other than "that's what you do in an MMO". I've played and loved sandbox-style games before, but this one felt like Everquest, Tabula Rasa, and the original SWG had a hideous, mutant baby and they named it Fallen Earth.

I can't even begin to speculate what's up with the graphics engine. How graphics so bad can be so choppy is beyond me. I can play EVE or COH/COV or Fallout 3 with the graphics cranked with no issues. Not only do I get poor performance out of FE with the graphics all the way up, they still look terrible.

The gameplay may have a new combination of features but none of it feels new or innovative. I was done with clubbing spiders to death for an hour and a half to get to level 2 in 2002.

I like that I didn't feel forced to group, but I also felt like I had no incentive to group. Ever.

I'm sure some of the newer, younger gamers (or those new to sandbox MMOs at least) will love this game because it's just a different style of game. As an adult with a real job and other hobbies, I just don't have the drive or the time to live a second online life like I did in high school and parts of college.