Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: List: The Top Five PvP MMOs

Comments

• RonjaNokuRonjaNoku Member CommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by zaffa

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Anyone mentioning Darkfall needs to go play some pvp MMO's to see how bad Darkfall is.  The game has potential, but has miles to go yet.  The community is without doubt the worst I have seen in a MMO too.

Also hard to include Shadowbane, was far too buggy to be ever called a good game.

Pvp is highly dependent on individual tastes, hard for anyone to make a list that encompasses everyone.

Dont be dissing Forumfall. Though it has definitely fallen into a slumb as of late, the community has always taken pride in its cut throat attitude. 

"Forumfall" Needs a bit less swashbucklin, hyping and defecating on other forums and try to help the developers improve the game. The graphics are sub par, some balance issues need tweaking, and the community wipes their ass on pretty much everything.

Darkfall Its a good idea and already has a base plan set down, but it still needs work and appropriate feedback from the players to work out the kinks. If you don't, then don't expect your game to go anywhere at the mercy of your beloved "Cut throat attitude".

As for all of the LOL UR LIST IS WRONG that's going on this forum....its a damned opinion. Geeze... OP Might have never played any of the other games. Its kinda hard, near impossible to get a taste of -each and every- game start to finish. You would have to play 2 or 3 MMOs at a time unless you got powerleveled. (Which isn't fun anyway :. at least for me.)

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by bildo84

For me combat makes PVP and WoW by far has the best combat, just a shame the killed World PVP.
    I've played every mmorpg out there and WoW is the only one to have fun combat. It is the most popular and lots of people have fun with PVP in the game and level up purely to do PVP and it's because it is the best. If these other games were so great then they'd be more popular but the fact is they aren't. Warhammer Online for example has a horrible combat system and it just doesn't flow and it ain't popular because of that.  

I actually really enjoyed WAR's RvR despite the clunkiness of its early days.  A lot of this list is fueled by personal preference and experience nostalgia, while still other parts are fueled by game mechanics and the communities that drive the PvP.  I hear Darkfall has a fantastic PvP community, but I've not had the chance to play it yet.  I hear the UO comparison a lot with Aventurine's game, so one day with time and money I'm going to have to check it out.

The problem with Darkfall is it is crap.

You can have this amazing PVP system in place but if the gameplay  isn't fun they it is all worthless.

• DragonMunkeyDragonMunkey Member UncommonPosts: 4

GUILD WARS DAMMIT! that game was MADE for PvP and it has been completely ignored. /pissed

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401
    Originally posted by DragonMunkey

GUILD WARS DAMMIT! that game was MADE for PvP and it has been completely ignored. /pissed

I think one of the biggest points about a games pvp can be made in relation to this post, and what the OP said about wow.

When a game is first released, and people have no idea What the fuck to do, they don't know the best skills, specs, talents, they just show up to play.  They are not there be end level and gank lowbies because "it's their right, because they can, blah blah blah".

Open world pvp before and just after the honor system came out was some of the most fun I had in PvP.  It wasn't about trying to get epic gear, or unlock some content, or capture some stupid fort.  It was just about being better than the other team/side/player.  People weren't concerned with "Oh, I can't fight now, because I need to go farm/level/grind/raid" or something.  They showed up to fight as a low level, they fought against high levels.  They had lots of fun.  It wasn't about my game is the best, or your game sucks.  People didn't care about anything else but fun.  Now it's much more, let's do our ten games of arena a week, and no other pvp outside of maybe a BG or two.

When guild wars first came out, it wasn't set specs/makeups/skill sets.  It was eight random people with random spells trying to work together to win HoH.  Now you are bad without having those skills/spec/build all the time.

Anyways, I'm out the door, or I would write another ten paragraphs. Basically, everyone has their "flavor" of PvP they like. Some like the I can kill someone anywhere, some like the total loot, some like BG only, and some hate pvp all together.  Your opinion is just as valid as the nexts.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

2 comments...

To not have AC1 in top 3 is a disgrace, that's all I have to say.

And WAR's RvR was horrible, especially the endgame RvR gameplay.  If you've only played T2-T3 RvR, it may have been entertaining.  But things quickly fall apart in T4.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• PetzenPetzen Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by DragonMunkey

100% Agreed - GW offers amazing pvp for both the casual players and very competitive players!

• KordeshKordesh Member Posts: 1,715

Originally posted by Mopar63

Originally posted by Ruyn

Edit:  The title should read, The Top 5 MMO's with Meaningless PvP, or Top 5 MMO's with Arena PvP.

I have a question for you, did you bring enough of that DF Koolaid for everyone? You know I cannot comment on the PvP much in others games cause of this very quote, it was meaningless it seemed. EvE however being called Arena or Meaningless in it's PvP shows either a moron or someone that has never played EvE.

The PvP in Eve can go so far as to effect noob players at time in it's outcome. The entire game is PvP not just the combat but the economics as well.

Lets just replace "meaningless" with "scarce" for Eve then, as any meaningful PvP pretty much only takes place with the mega corps, the rest is just roaming ganking. Eve just goes to show you can take a great concept, great graphics, and make it completely dull by making everything impersonal (The only persistent "you" is a 80x80 avatar) and make it completely unpalatable by making the primary goals in the game basically A: greed B: get your fun by making other people miserable (griefing). and before you say "baww carebear etc" ask ANYONE what they play Eve for, and why its fun for them, and 90% of the time you get back the same answer "its fun listening to people whine after I kill them."

Large scale purposeful warfare, fine. The fact that outside of that rare and in between thing the game is centered around basically griefing and grinding in a game world that consists of jump points and empty space personally kicks Eve down considerably. Especially since even the large scale warfare comes down to A: who has more isk/ships laying around and B: who metagames more with their numerous alts and forum exploits which is the most ridiculous thing I find about Eve.

/rant off. *Raises shields for the inevitable response from the Eve faithful who are too heavily invested in the game to see any wrong.*

Relating more to the choices in general, the fact that WoW and WAR are on there shows that PvP in games at the moment is completely pitiful. DAoC and UO are the only ones that didn't make me cringe. As for Darkfall, I could see it being maybe #5 for pure mechanics of PvP, but the community absolutely blows and is aboute as mature as you would find on maplestory. Enjoy alliances controlled by raging manchildren. Guild wars I don't even consider an MMO, so I'm glad it didn't make the list. 

Unfortunately, I don't see this list getting any better next year either the way things seem to be headed. 

Bans a perma, but so are sigs in necro posts.

EAT ME MMORPG.com!

• uncletomauncletoma Member UncommonPosts: 159
    Originally posted by Varny

Originally posted by uncletoma

I agree with some games, i cannot do it with other but i'm really astonished about 5th position: World of Farmercraft? This is not a true PvP or RvR game, it's only a PvE title with some PvP servers where people doesn't do free PvP. If you really like PvP there are a lot of games better than WoW (one of my preferred is a F2P game: RF Online: Three realms, a lot of free RvRvR zones - all mid/high lvls zones are RvRvR and a crap reason in order to do PvP /RvRvR:  central mine And, yes, a lot of fun).
    And my number one is still DAoC (EVE is great, but too hard to play for a newbie).

I've played every mmorpg out there and WoW is the only one to have fun combat. It is the most popular and lots of people have fun with PVP in the game and level up purely to do PVP and it's because it is the best. If these other games were so great then they'd be more popular but the fact is they aren't. Warhammer Online for example has a horrible combat system and it just doesn't flow and it ain't popular because of that. 

For me combat makes PVP and WoW by far has the best combat, just a shame the killed World PVP.

I was away from home and any kind of PC for some time, so sorry for delay. WoW has (had for me, i stopped to play this game from a lot of time) a nice combat system or a newbie proof one? IMHO is right the second one. DAoC has a cool combat system and, unlike Blizzard game, is not (a lot) gear based. I think that gear based games (such as WoW, LOTRO and all the PvE-based games) are not right for PvP. I've two dreams about MMORPGs:

1) a UO like game (skill based, players can be adventurers, killers, cookers and so on) with a modern interface (and, maybe, a modern graphic)

2) a PvP game without any kind of drop (or, at least, only a "legendary armour" such as DAoC classic) and a lot of PvP or RvR zones. For gears crafting must be enough.

But are only dreams, mostly players like to be like a chinese one: farm, farm, farm.

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

I believe this top 5 list is just based on the writers own personal preference. I'm sure there are many people including myself who's top 5  list would have been very different. I've played all 5 games, although I only played Eve for about 15 minutes before uninstalling it,,, that game just wasn't for me..  Anyway, out of those 5 games, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind DAOC should be named as the best pvp game of all time, followed by Ultima Online then Shadowbane.. However, I'm sure people would argue stating Ultima Online deserves the crown, and some would say Shadowbane deserves to be #1.. But, there's no way I feel Eve should be mentioned in the same category as traditional Fantasy themed MMORPG's..

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• AlienShirtAlienShirt Member UncommonPosts: 621

What no Asherson's Call Darktide server? Come on now.

• GozerTCGozerTC Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Originally posted by Kordesh

Lets just replace "meaningless" with "scarce" for Eve then, as any meaningful PvP pretty much only takes place with the mega corps, the rest is just roaming ganking. Eve just goes to show you can take a great concept, great graphics, and make it completely dull by making everything impersonal (The only persistent "you" is a 80x80 avatar) and make it completely unpalatable by making the primary goals in the game basically A: greed B: get your fun by making other people miserable (griefing). and before you say "baww carebear etc" ask ANYONE what they play Eve for, and why its fun for them, and 90% of the time you get back the same answer "its fun listening to people whine after I kill them."

Large scale purposeful warfare, fine. The fact that outside of that rare and in between thing the game is centered around basically griefing and grinding in a game world that consists of jump points and empty space personally kicks Eve down considerably. Especially since even the large scale warfare comes down to A: who has more isk/ships laying around and B: who metagames more with their numerous alts and forum exploits which is the most ridiculous thing I find about Eve.
    /rant off. *Raises shields for the inevitable response from the Eve faithful who are too heavily invested in the game to see any wrong.*
    Relating more to the choices in general, the fact that WoW and WAR are on there shows that PvP in games at the moment is completely pitiful. DAoC and UO are the only ones that didn't make me cringe. As for Darkfall, I could see it being maybe #5 for pure mechanics of PvP, but the community absolutely blows and is aboute as mature as you would find on maplestory. Enjoy alliances controlled by raging manchildren. Guild wars I don't even consider an MMO, so I'm glad it didn't make the list. 
    Unfortunately, I don't see this list getting any better next year either the way things seem to be headed. 

Well count me as part of your 10% who didn't play Eve for "Hearing people complain after I killed them." Because honestly I sucked at killing things.  :p

Now while I am an "Eve Faithful" I do fully acknowledge that Eve has faults.  Personally I don't find the 80 X 80 avatar being one of them since my ship is a perfectly good Avatar for me. (When I played) 

I'm glad EVE is number one, and as far as I'm concerned I can't think of a single game that PvP can have as major an affect on well EVERYTHING as it does in Eve.  Your Random Griefing/Ganking is correct, it happens and it's also a part of the game.  As a Miner it was my job to get past those goons or hire guys to protect me from those guys to get the goods for my Corp.  So on the one hand it can be called ganking and on the other it is "Comerce Raiding."  Attacking your opponents supply lines is completely valid. 

Oh granted that's putting a fancy face on what is essentially random griefing but it is all part of the game and completely valid.  There are very real consequences to the PvP in EVE and that's why it shoudl be number 1.  It's not XP Loss, or temporary "control" of an area (though there is that) but it's a bottom line attack on other player's livelyhood and "bottom line." :) 

Current Game: Asssasins Creed 2(PS3, Gamer Tag: Happy_Hubby)
    Current MMO: World of Warcraft and World of Tanks
    Former Subscribed MMO: Star Trek Online, Aion, WoW, Guild Wars, Eve Online, DAoC, City of Heroes, Shattered Galaxy, 10six.
    Tried: Too many to list

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Originally posted by Mannish

I cant belive Lineage 2 is not on that list. The game is one of the few that was built around PVP and has real PVP that affects everything that happens in the game.

As I said earlier there were a slew of games that were more approriate for a top 5 PvP MMO list lol. L2 is another example. It had partial looting of players as well didn't it?

Wasn't really looting per se, so much as you could drop a number of random items upon death, including gear. Way back when it first launched, this led to *a lot* of people basically running around spending all their time trying to mob-train and gank other players, purely to get their stuff. It was rather disruptive and distracted a number of people from the core point of the game.. which was to become powerful, fight other clans, siege castles, etc. I didn't play much during that period because it was so ridiculous to me.

As time went on, people got higher in level and gear became more valuable and more difficult to obtain and replace, it sorta rendered the whole "gear dropping" thing incompatible. Reason being, L2 is a very gear-centric game, which just doesn't sit well with "full drops on death". When you've spent weeks getting the materials to craft an item - that has a 40% of failing - and then you happen to die due to something out of your control, like say a game crash or lag spike or something.. it's not very pleasant to come back and find that gear gone.

So, what NC did is basically reduce the chance of dropping gear to a very specific situation... basically, if you have at least 5 PKs racked up and "go red" another time, if someone kills you, you're going to "pop like a piñata", as we call it.

So yeah.. those who are dedicated to being "villains" in L2 have a busy life of PK'ing, then "washing" the PKs - watching for any would-be killers -  to make sure they don't lose anything. You'd be surprised how many do just that, though, on a daily basis.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697

No Guild Wars?  Are you kidding me?

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

• crazytwancrazytwan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Skooma2

Hm.hmmhmmm, heh, ha, haha, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm going to go throw up now.....

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

My words exactly. I guess the author hasn't played it.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• vasilchovasilcho Member Posts: 42

ok srsly, no L2? :) 

GW isnt exactly a MMO so maybe thats the reason

• Toquio3Toquio3 Member Posts: 1,074

No lotro? Fail.

*giggles* =P

If you stand VERY still, and close your eyes, after a minute you can actually FEEL the universe revolving around PvP.

• CyberWizCyberWiz Member UncommonPosts: 914

Well I agree with the list if you look at the games in their glory days.

Actually, I would set DAoC at number one, with EVE at 2 and then everything else.

DAoC Pre-ToA-NF was the greatest, but honestly, the realm pride you speak off has since then been long gone. Due to various mistakes that Mythic made along the road, and the final deathblow : clustering servers with no realm timer, so you can switch realms instantly and join the winning side.

Also SWG had some nice PvP, I really like the overt / covert system.

Anyway, just wanted to add that DAoC lost the number 1 sport a long time ago.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :
    http://mmodata.blogspot.be/
    Favorite MMORPG's : DAoC pre ToA-NF, SWG Pre CU-NGE, EVE Online

Originally posted by WesKhan1

I won't be a blind WoW hater, maybe WoW deserves to barely be on that list at #5, and maybe not.  But WAR?  /facepalm   You've got to be kidding me.  That MMO has some of the most bland PvP I have ever witnessed.  Replace it with something like Shadowbane.  I'm sorry but you have low ass standards if WAR is on your top 5 list of PvP MMOs.

After Mythic realized their mistake with Battlegrounds ( err Scenario's :p ) and boosted world RvR, the world RvR had it's moments, just enough for me to want to play DAoC pre-ToA-NF again.

If you are interested in subscription or PCU numbers for MMORPG's, check out my site :

Even tho WoW is included, it seems the auther made a list of real MMO's, not advanced Diablo clones :p

Besides WoW, each of the mmo's had meaningfull PvP one time or another.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by dark-merlin

Well he said its his personal list of PVP games.

He probably never played Darkfall and Shadowbane.

In terms of best PVP game out its Darkfall, and will be for a long time (MO being designed more for RP supposedly).

Of course he did. But do you seriously think half the knuckleheads responding to this thread actually read and comprehended that part or the entire thread at all? Heck no. They look at the numbered bullets to see the game names and then get their undies in a wad and hit the "reply" button screaming for respect for their opinion or game but not willing to give any respect themselves.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• crazytwancrazytwan Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

In terms of best PVP game out its Darkfall, and will be for a long time (MO being designed more for RP supposedly).

Of course he did. But do you seriously think half the knuckleheads responding to this thread actually read and comprehended that part or the entire thread at all? Heck no. They look at the numbered bullets to see the game names and then get their undies in a wad and hit the "reply" button screaming for respect for their opinion or game but not willing to give any respect themselves.

That is so true.

• coolmanxcoolmanx Member Posts: 5

Guildwars!!!!!!!!!

• RokchantRokchant Member Posts: 19

Yeah, this article seems about right. There is not very many good PvP games out there right now and the only memorable ones were in the past.

• RonjaNokuRonjaNoku Member CommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

QFT on so many levels.