Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: List: The Top Five PvP MMOs

Comments

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I know the list was a personal opinion.....but NO Darkfall?? C´mon!

The wole game is designed around old school FFAPvP. And WoW beats it in a PvP list???

For people not understanding, what if Darkfall would beat WoW in a quest content list? Then would also sit wit open mounths and wonder what the hell just happend.

• TotenToten Member Posts: 1

I cannot comment on the other games but I find PVP in EVE done well.  In eve there is nowhere that pvp cannot occur.

One game I would have on my own list for PVP is SFC2:OP  If you have played it on the dynaverse you will know what I mean by PVP.  If you havent then explaining it would be cumbersome. But long and short

- 3v3 duels possible in instanced area

- up to 16 factions can vie for control of the galaxy

- pvp and pve events change status of sectors of space

- have fought duels that last hours

- I have yet to see another pvp game that has the options in combat and teamwork that SFC has

• roscorosco Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Cecropia

Originally posted by Paragus1

WoW is on this list, but Darkfall isn't?   I don't think any serious MMO PvP player is going to take this seriously.  WoW is like the laughing stock of the PvP community.  Hell Warhammer is practically on life support and has more crowd control that any other game.   I'd rather see Lineage 2 or maybe even Aion over WAR.

I genuinely believe that WOW was included for shock value. Things have been relatively quiet on this site over the last couple of days. At least that's what I've noticed. This thread will surely increase the traffic around here.

If Darkfall can't be included in a "top five pvp mmo" contest on a site dedicated to mmos, then how seriously do you think this site will be taken? Maybe they have a beef with AV?

No skin off my ass though, in the end it's the credibility of the website that is damaged.

It's true that if someone new to the mmorpgs was looking for a PvP game and looked at this list, he would be misleaded. Not mentionning planetside (since he also talks about oldies) wwiionline, darkfall or guildwars in this kind of frontpage list is really strange.

It's like listing the best electronic music groups and forgetting to mention "Justice" or "Daft Punk" and publishing the list on the rolling stones magazine website (or whatever). "But I've never listenened to those groups before" is not an excuse.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

No Planetside? o_o

Sure I can get the reason people would jump to games like Darkfall for example of PvP. But I'd have to vote Planetside to be one of the best if not the one if only for the fact that PvP is all they do, and they do it hard.

I mean seriously, the game lacks in just about all other ways, but the plethora of weapons, vehicles, gadgets, and the extra abilities, items, and tools they've added since launch, in addition to it being a three way war (occasionally four) with unique options given to each faction to differentiate one another without being overwhelming or imbalanced, makes Planetside a little slice of PvP combat heaven unrivaled for the most part by even most modern shooters.

Yes, there is in fact things I still think Planetside did better than even Modern Warfare 2, the upcoming Bad Company 2, or any other modern shooter for that matter.

What Planetside did was make one of the first, largest, and nonstop glorious tactical frag fest any proper PvP fan can only beg for more of.

Which is also why I'm still waiting for them to make a friggin' Planetside 2!

EDIT: I also agree that Asheron's Call should be here, even if just for the Dark Tide server. Nothing quite like dodging volley after volley of spells and arrows as I chased down people with my life dagger like a lunatic.

Same regard really for the servers in DAoC too. You don't know PvP until anyone and everyone you meet is both equally likely to help you and kill you at any given moment. If some one wants to include DFO, then they really should be putting up AC on there, because they nailed all the reasons DFO works as a PvP mmo, ten years before, and offering a whole host more of things to do in the process.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• roscorosco Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Toten

I cannot comment on the other games but I find PVP in EVE done well.  In eve there is nowhere that pvp cannot occur.
    One game I would have on my own list for PVP is SFC2:OP  If you have played it on the dynaverse you will know what I mean by PVP.  If you havent then explaining it would be cumbersome. But long and short
    - 3v3 duels possible in instanced area
    - up to 16 factions can vie for control of the galaxy
    - pvp and pve events change status of sectors of space
    - have fought duels that last hours
    - I have yet to see another pvp game that has the options in combat and teamwork that SFC has

It's your 1st post in 6 years ? .... I'm not the smaller poster of mmorpg.com after all.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453

As much as i enjoyed pvping in WoW, i dont consider it a pvp game. I also dont think War should be on that list. Shadowbane needs to be on there somewhere even if it was a train wreck of a game.

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Paragus1

Originally posted by rewindmad

For those of you who laugh at wow being on the list, have you actually played the game within the first 2 years of its release?  Yes i admit the pvp now in WoW is a complete joke. However back in the old days before the AQ patch even.  I absolutely LOVED AV.  i still remember 8 hour long battles in AV where neither side could see victory, just back and forth of pure slaughter.  In my opinion, blizzard should make another server to just allow old gameplay and none of the new crap they put in the game.

I liked the old 8 hour AVs but it is still instanced PvP with no consequences upon death.

Two very good points, some peoples  like PvP with no consequences, they want to kill real players for fun and rewards but dont want to loose their gears ect.. and on the other side, some people like to play PvP with the stress factor to loose everything and that's their fun.

We have to respect that and the list, I believe, should have reflect those differences by including DFO.

• djnexusdjnexus Member Posts: 677

William Murphy you fail on your list, were is Shadowbane and Darkfall? I guess there just to hardcore for you.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880

i can understand shadowbane but no DAOC. Suprised WoW made it but i guess I can see it at number 5. War really doesn't belong on the list but the top 3 makes sense at least.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,880
    Originally posted by djnexus

William Murphy you fail on your list, were is Shadowbane and Darkfall? I guess there just to hardcore for you.

Darkfall isn't very good. Thats why it isn't on the list but shadowbane or daoc should be.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

Darkfall isn't very good. Thats why it isn't on the list but shadowbane or daoc should be.

I believe the writer has already stated that he has not tried Darkfall. I'm sorry you don't think it's very good, but thanks for letting us all know.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074

darkfall vs sb

Shadowbanes classs ystem far surpased darkfalls really crude skill system.  lots of combos.

The grind in SB was perfect for a pvp mmo.

Sbs point in click combat vs df real time.

DF world is far better

Both have rather shitty pve but df i think is generally better.

DF is smart not to have flying classes

DF siege mechanics are alot better.  You don't spend a month building something only to have it destroyed in one night.

DF had shitload less bugs

SB had a lot better lore.

all i can think of right now at work

• gothagotha Member UncommonPosts: 1,074
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

Originally posted by djnexus

Take the nostalgia away people have with SB.  Darkfall i think wins out.  Only by a little.  But still df is far more solid of a game,  even with its short comings.

• RonjaNokuRonjaNoku Member CommonPosts: 47

I agree with the placement of #3, #2 and #1. (Ultima, Dark age, and Most definately Eve.)

Agree with Ultima because everything you did pretty much revolved around PvP and whatever roles you decided to take in-game. Open world. It was fun...10 years ago lol. Good times.

Agree with Dark Age of Camelot. All about the Realm pride and giving your all for the benefit of your realm! :P

And the one I agree most with is Eve being #1 in terms of being a PvP Structured game. Everything revolves around PvP, Wormhole safety, Player owned Stations, What ship class you will train, Fleet formations, Corporation owned Systems, Corporation War Declarations, Alliances, Ore/Minerals...hell, even the market revolves around PvP... Current Example going on now is that a specific type of mining ship is being hunted and destroyed, this is driving the market price for that mining ship higher and higher. The corporation behind that will probably benefit greatly from it now seeing as they probably manufactured many of them. There's also the Zephyr Blitz that's going on... *Not gonna take his Zephyr out of station* >:3

As for Wow and War, I don't believe they should make the list because PvP doesn't really do anything important except give you extra items and on occasion, bragging rights...Which doesn't mean much when most of the server acts like 13 year old asswipes. PvP in war was fun though, and like OP said, kinda diminished as you got farther :(.

I also agree with the rest of the forum, Darkfall definately was a good contender for PvP with it's free skill choices and modifications. I never played it but the way it handled PvP and how much of a core concept it was to the game would have made it a great contender.

Guild Wars too... if you could find a good team that knew what it was doing... *Nightmares*

Lineage 2 is a good one. I never got far in that game, don't remember why but I do recall working in a small team for some PvP, then for some PvE after. Its was interesting.

Not sure if anyone mentioned FFXI, although not heavy in PvP, the alliance that does win in that area gets extra minor bonuses and its downright fun in many reguards if you played your class correctly AS A TEAM D:! (kept in balance by making it slightly harder to win next time but it is possible)

Like the OP said, its their opinion. OP's top 5. Not DEFINATE TOP 5 OF ALL TIME...FACT! Lol. Its funny how serious some of you took it. Thank you for your time :P

Edit: Wish I could say something about Shadowbane. never played it D:!

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

"Say what you will about WAR’s failings, unmet potential and corporate controversy, but no one can deny that what WAR does right it does well."

WAR does little or nothing right.

• zaffazaffa Member Posts: 81

No Darkfall? This list is complete fail.

• Nostromo21Nostromo21 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Just a couple things Bill:

1. EVE does NOT run on a single server, certainly not physical & not logical in practice either (that's why you zone from system to system). It's about as single-server as GW & I prefer the way that handles 'zones' much better anyway (districts + international servers where you can all meet if you so choose).
    2. the correct quote, if people must quote the Bible, is "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil".

Your "WOW!" example for EVE is also the best example of what a sociopathic mmo with very little real consequence for your crimes is like. Red-headed stepchildren running around ganking the weaker players with impunity. Yeah, sure, call us carebears, whatever. EVE is not the best, but rather the WORST example of how a mmo should handle its PvP. Just a whole lot of asshats trying to ruin everyone else's day (if you're in the 5% minority trying to just play an empire building game with some modicum of 'honour', I obviously don't mean you, but my apologies anyway. Good luck with the crushing disappointment when you realise just what EVE is & you leave with the taste of skunk in your mouth :). Game over.

They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. That's true, even for a blind man. ^DareDevil^

• Bael13Bael13 Member Posts: 29

Whats with all the Crap P2P games

Best PvP game ever in my opinion is RF Online. Three races going for it on mass three times a day plus raids, defense 24/7 thats PvP imo.

also Guildwars has awesome PvP while limited areas it still flogs most P2P games with it GvG.

• opd21opd21 Member UncommonPosts: 1

What a horrible list the only game worthy of being on it is EVE...Clearly you are not a PvPer and should not be making this sort of list...games where u piss off the wrong ppl means you cant play anymore(like Lineage 1 and 2) should be on it also considering they have more players then all but WoW.   really MMORPG has been going down hill recently with late info on games and horrible lists...it's sad to see.

OPD

• TimacekTimacek Member UncommonPosts: 182

Darkfall online should be on the list as well. It may be not the greatest one, like EVE which is first place no doubt, Darkfall is very much about pvp and its good, harsh, adrenalin experience.

regards

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Number 2, darkfall online

Number 1, Even online

Fixed

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• MaverickrollMaverickroll Member UncommonPosts: 123

Originally posted by valun
    What about shadowbane, DAoC and AO:Notum Wars? 

This

I was up with the list until I saw Shadowbane passed over for WAR?!

AFAIK, Shadowbane was one of the first MMOs to have massive world driven PvP. And by world drive I mean world driven, there was like no point to PvE other than to get your toon to max level and gear, after that you were in pvp-bliss. You fought, took control of or defended sections of terrority where your guild or alliance of guilds (nations) built massive cities, and you could plan your city. Want more defense at the expense of space and less NPC vendors? Go for it. Want more NPC guards and less physical defense? Go for it. Massive battles of laying siege to cities, hundreds of trebuchets firing off flaming boulders at city walls whilst the enemy comes pouring over the side of a hill..

It was the perfect MMO. Sure it didn't have 100% loot like DF or UO but it was pretty close. And the class/race system was the BEST I saw, ever. Why?

You had a shit ton of combos. Want a big meaty Minotaur melee? Make it. How about a human thief? Make it. Human Mage? Go for it. Dwarf priest? Suuuure. And like every build had POTENTIAL. Sure there were cookie cutter specs, but you had room to experiment, come up with something different and come to find out it could still work pretty good in pvp.

The entire servers were ran by guild politics too. Who controlled what, who took over what. It truly was live by the sword die by the sword style of playing, no gm's, no rules (other than obviously no hacking), you couldnt go crying to a GM if someone was spawn camping you or griefing you. IT WAS ENCOURAGED

And yea, it had some bugs and issues but even after the game went free, they were still ironing out bugs, fixing stuff and even adding to the game. Sadly, Ubisoft had to pull the plug :(

Heres to hoping Stray Bullet Games (were a lot of the developers of Shadowbanes dev team Wolfpack have formed) comes up with their next great pvp mmo

PLAY TO CRUSH!

• RonjaNokuRonjaNoku Member CommonPosts: 47
    Originally posted by Nostromo21

Just a couple things Bill:
    1. EVE does NOT run on a single server, certainly not physical & not logical in practice either (that's why you zone from system to system). It's about as single-server as GW & I prefer the way that handles 'zones' much better anyway (districts + international servers where you can all meet if you so choose).

2. the correct quote, if people must quote the Bible, is "The love of money is the root of all kinds of evil".
    Your "WOW!" example for EVE is also the best example of what a sociopathic mmo with very little real consequence for your crimes is like. Red-headed stepchildren running around ganking the weaker players with impunity. Yeah, sure, call us carebears, whatever. EVE is not the best, but rather the WORST example of how a mmo should handle its PvP. Just a whole lot of asshats trying to ruin everyone else's day (if you're in the 5% minority trying to just play an empire building game with some modicum of 'honour', I obviously don't mean you, but my apologies anyway. Good luck with the crushing disappointment when you realise just what EVE is & you leave with the taste of skunk in your mouth :). Game over.

In terms of how wide spread PvP affects the Eve universe. Its #1. I would also have it as #1 for all of it's complexity and teamwork required.

As for your #1 point, they say it does. Hard to imagine, I too have my doubts, but there is no solid proof to say against it. Its a bunch of nodes working together to produce one ongoing server or something like that. Although, What -is- true is that what you do may affect others several systems/zones/whateveryoucallit away. Especially the market. :) kekeke ...unless your a teeny tiny miner who logs in for 1 hour each day or a high sec("Safe" Zone) mission grinder. Eww. (Although I am quite annoyed at the amount of lag that has risen from the new expansion, hope it gets fixed. Soon.)

As for your #2. The only good side of your post(not the argument though...), even if your being picky. Good catch to correct the saying to where it's origin came from. Although hes probably just quoting the colloquial term we all would know (Silly masses. Stop catering to them and go learn yourselves a book :D *sarcasm off*)

As for your "Lol ;WOW example". There is no way he could know of every little PvP occurance going on in Eve... That would be like summing up everything that happens in DAoC, Darkfall, or Ultima with a small short paragraph people wont tl;dr (impossible). He chose one of the largest "backstabs" ever done in the game (hell...It even got news coverage XD) as an example. (Albeit a good example for the general mass because of it's publicity, not a good example for the every day of Eve.) Anything else would be too minor or would experience rattling Eve jargon many wouldn't understand without crappy explanations)

Still, nothing in your argument about PvP. Just a bunch of whining, cheap shots and slight racism. (in-before-welcome-to-the-internet!) Sorry dude :P

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

People should be posting their own personal top 5 in this thread instead of whining.  

5. Aion

4. Age of Conan

3. World of Warcraft

2. Dark Age of Camelot

1. Lineage 2

• WintersbiteWintersbite Member Posts: 146
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Number 2, darkfall online
    Number 1, Even online
    Fixed

No, it's not fixed. It's YOUR personal opinion.

As my personal opinion would still have #1 EVE, even though I've stopped playing, but I know how big it is. And my #2 would still be DAoC because it was, and still is monumental unrivalved fantasy fun.

One thing I was/am baffled about is WAR being there. On paper it might make it in to the top 5, but it certainly fails to step up in reality.

Again, personal opinion.

Oh and, die treehuggers!