Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Amazing sandbox MMO!

Comments

• TatumTatum Member Posts: 1,153

I was just asking about this the other day in the LFG forum.  Hadn't heard about it in a while.  Anyway, I got this link:

http://www.gaminglove.net/

Plenty of info there.  The core of it sounds really good, still pretty early though.  Of course, the beta will only be like $4 or $5, so not much to lose there.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

You are misinformed now, dear OP. Now it's up to 500 players per server. ^^

It costs 3 Euros per month to play and is completely player operated for the most part.

The gameplay so far consists of players entering the world, joining a settlement (or placing one if one isn't created yet), gathering tokens, building a base and working with other players to take down the AI and defend their settlement.

LOVE is not about winning. It's about the neverending cycle of winning and losing. It truly is something you take with a grain of salt because it is a hell of a lot different than anything you'll ever see.

So what makes LOVE different?

- easy to learn, hard to master FPS style gameplay

- parkour style freerunning

- PROCEDURALLY GENERATED WORLD!

- completely terramorphable world

- auto-assigned names for plenty of immersion

- the most awesome art style ever. you have NEVER seen low-poly graphics look so good

- never-ending persistent world

The con is: it's the same gameplay over and over. However, plenty of people paid for and still do pay for games like Planetside and plenty of other MMOs  which are the same thing over and over. Also, Eskil has completed his toolset. Content is bound to come in droves sooner or later.

EDIT: Don't remember seeing the official site link.

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

You are misinformed now, dear OP. Now it's up to 500 players per server. ^^
    It costs 3 Euros per month to play and is completely player operated for the most part.
    The gameplay so far consists of players entering the world, joining a settlement (or placing one if one isn't created yet), gathering tokens, building a base and working with other players to take down the AI and defend their settlement.
    LOVE is not about winning. It's about the neverending cycle of winning and losing. It truly is something you take with a grain of salt because it is a hell of a lot different than anything you'll ever see.
    So what makes LOVE different?
    - easy to learn, hard to master FPS style gameplay
    - parkour style freerunning
    - PROCEDURALLY GENERATED WORLD!
    - completely terramorphable world
    - auto-assigned names for plenty of immersion
    - the most awesome art style ever. you have NEVER seen low-poly graphics look so good
    - never-ending persistent world
    The con is: it's the same gameplay over and over. However, plenty of people paid for and still do pay for games like Planetside and plenty of other MMOs  which are the same thing over and over. Also, Eskil has completed his toolset. Content is bound to come in droves sooner or later.
    EDIT: Don't remember seeing the official site link.

That all sounds really hot yo.

• crunchyblackcrunchyblack Member Posts: 1,362

Its amazing that one guy did this, respect for that.

Is it a quality game? another question...

Just because its sandbox doesnt mean its not crap.

Originally posted by crunchyblack

Its amazing that one guy did this, respect for that.
    Is it a quality game? another question...
    Just because its sandbox doesnt mean its not crap.

It's not crap though. It's a solid and engaging experience. The only problem for right now is the expected lack of ongoing content.

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by altairzq

Looks more like a FPS.
    It's defined as:
    # Genre: First person not so massively multi player online procedural adventure game.

What makes it' sandbox for you?

I think I could better ask you the same question.

The fact that it has FP view and has shooter elements in it has nothing to with whether or not it is sandbox. Sandbox, for me, is (complete) freedom to mess around in a interactive world. You can simply look at the name "sandbox" and then imagine what it means: You are in a gigantic sandbox and you do whatever want in it, is totally up to you. There is no main story line or main attractions like in "themepark" games. You just mess around and see what happens. Being creative is really important to enjoy a sandbox game imho. You can compare it with the GTA games, I played allmost every GTA game (I hated san andreas) and I never completed any of the storylines. I like the games because it has an interactive world were I can do stuff in, and make my own story.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by impiro

Looks more like a FPS.
    It's defined as:
    # Genre: First person not so massively multi player online procedural adventure game.

The fact that it has FP view and has shooter elements in it has nothing to with whether or not it is sandbox. Sandbox, for me, is (complete) freedom to mess around in a interactive world. You can simply look at the name "sandbox" and then imagine what it means: You are in a gigantic sandbox and you do whatever want in it, is totally up to you. There is no main story line or main attractions like in "themepark" games. You just mess around and see what happens. Being creative is really important to enjoy a sandbox game imho. You can compare it with the GTA games, I played allmost every GTA game (I hated san andreas) and I never completed any of the storylines. I like the games because it has an interactive world were I can do stuff in, and make my own story.

Something like Second Life makes a sandbox to me. I can build a hat, a car or a whole game there. I can earn a living dancing, building scripts, making clothes, or selling my body, I can set up a conference room for my company, or friends, I can do anything.

In Love i can shoot at things and set up structures with doors that open and close, so I can shoot at them. Is that a sandbox for you?

• impiroimpiro Member Posts: 204

Looks more like a FPS.
    It's defined as:

Something like Second Life makes a sandbox to me. I can build a hat, a car or a whole game there. I can earn a living dancing, building scripts, making clothes, or selling my body, I can set up a conference room for my company, or friends, I can do anything.

In Love i can shoot at things and set up structures with doors that open and close, so I can shoot at them. Is that a sandbox for you?

I think you have a whole different view and that is ok.

Like I said before, sandbox for me is freedom and do what you want. However, this does not mean that a sandbox game does not have a focus. It may have a focus or direction and within that you are free to do as you please and be creative. For me it isn't just the THINGS you can do, its also HOW you do them. The fact that I can be creative and create whatever I want wherever I want makes this game a sandbox game to me. Plus you seem to forget that the server AI also makes random cities and therefore create, together with user created content, a dynamic world that you infact can interact with (in the sense that these changes actually mean something other than appearance) and that also makes this game sandbox for me.

The things you can do in SecondLife do not define that it is sandbox, the way they are implanted do. SecondLife is a Sim and Sims are actually always sandbox. I personally do not want all those things that are in SecondLife, since they are EXACTLY the same as in real life and thus boring. Love in comparison has very little features, however, that does not have to make it less interesting to play. One big feature gives it a general focus that shapes the world toward that focus. Sure there are things that could be added and there are things added since the beta, but the creator does not want to list them to avoid spoilers. Another sandbox element for me: exploration not only of the world, but also of the possibilities within that world.

SecondLife has its boundries too, it lets you do what ever you want in its "real-life" setting. But can you be an Alien? Can you put a rocketlauncher on rollerskates or could you talk with animals? In those conferences can you choose to hit everyone with a baseball bat or flame them up with a flametrower. Can you build a spaceship and explore space? Can you create a forest in the centre of a city? Now these things do not make any sense but im quite sure you cant perform them. You can do what ever you want in a realistic setting, but not beyond that setting.

Final example: Google for "World of Sand" You will find a small flash/java game that enables you to put certain materials together, nothing more. But its still very fun to play, since you can try out combining stuff and see what happens. I can have easily an hour of fun with World of Sand on my Nintendo DS everytime I pick it up. This is an example of a very simple sandbox.

Looks more like a FPS.
    It's defined as:

I think you have a whole different view and that is ok.

Like I said before, sandbox for me is freedom and do what you want. However, this does not mean that a sandbox game does not have a focus. It may have a focus or direction and within that you are free to do as you please and be creative. For me it isn't just the THINGS you can do, its also HOW you do them. The fact that I can be creative and create whatever I want wherever I want [you can't create whatever you want in Love, just some predetermined buildings and triggers to open and close doors and some detectors, for what the oficial site says] makes this game a sandbox game to me. Plus you seem to forget that the server AI also makes random cities and therefore create, together with user created content, a dynamic world that you infact can interact with (in the sense that these changes actually mean something other than appearance) and that also makes this game sandbox for me.

The things you can do in SecondLife do not define that it is sandbox, the way they are implanted do. SecondLife is a Sim and Sims are actually always sandbox. I personally do not want all those things that are in SecondLife, since they are EXACTLY the same as in real life and thus boring. Love in comparison has very little features, however, that does not have to make it less interesting to play. One big feature gives it a general focus that shapes the world toward that focus. Sure there are things that could be added and there are things added since the beta, but the creator does not want to list them to avoid spoilers. Another sandbox element for me: exploration not only of the world, but also of the possibilities within that world.

SecondLife has its boundries too, it lets you do what ever you want in its "real-life" setting. But can you be an Alien? [yes] Can you put a rocketlauncher on rollerskates [yes] or could you talk with animals? [yes, but you need to make those animals that can have a conversation, or buy some already made] In those conferences can you choose to hit everyone with a baseball bat or flame them up with a flametrower [yes, you will be banned probably though. No fire effect on the persons though, unless they wear a script with that effect, you can create such script too]. Can you build a spaceship and explore space? [yes, if you build a universe in a sim or several sims] Can you create a forest in the centre of a city? [yes of course, if you have rights and enough prims] Now these things do not make any sense but im quite sure you cant perform them [well you are very wrong]. You can do what ever you want in a realistic setting, but not beyond that setting.

Final example: Google for "World of Sand" You will find a small flash/java game that enables you to put certain materials together, nothing more. But its still very fun to play, since you can try out combining stuff and see what happens. I can have easily an hour of fun with World of Sand on my Nintendo DS everytime I pick it up. This is an example of a very simple sandbox.

You think you can do anything in Love, and you think you can't do anything in Second Life, and it's precisely the contrary.

You titled this thread "Amazing sandbox MMO" and only the first word is true for Love.

• Cik_AsalinCik_Asalin Member Posts: 3,033

Im still waiting for someone to really describe why this game is a sandbox or even worth playing.  It seems like mmo legos.

+ Its a First-Person something.

+ Its a procedurally generated world with triggers.

+ My avatar name is assigned by code.

+ Persistent world.

Originally posted by Cik_Asalin

Im still waiting for someone to really describe why this game is a sandbox or even worth playing.  It seems like mmo legos.

+ Persistent world.

Probably, because of the building/creating/destroying bases aspect of the game.  At the least, thats the core of a sand box.

Originally posted by Tatum

+ Persistent world.

Probably, because of the building/creating/destroying bases aspect of the game.  At the least, thats the core of a sand box.

Since when? Sorry to be so blunt, but you guys don't know what a sandbox MMO is.

+ Persistent world.

Since when? Sorry to be so blunt, but you guys don't know what a sandbox MMO is.

Why don't you explain it then?  If building/creating and a changing game world are not part of a sand box, then I don't know what is.

+ Persistent world.

Why don't you explain it then?  If building/creating and a changing game world are not part of a sand box, then I don't know what is.

I explained in another message above.

You got to realize:

1) creating a pre-set base is not changing game world.

2) I didn't say that "a changing game world" is not a part of a sand box.

3) I opposed the concept that creating a pre set base and destroying it is the core of a sandbox gane.

4) I can accept that creating is the core of a sandbox. Creating in the most general sense, but certainly not a pre-set building just to be destroyed afterwards or defended.

I will leave this absurd discussion here.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by daarco

Pure Epic stuff!
    I watched everything on Youtube, and this seems to be the most fantastic game i have ever seen. You know what? I get another one of those moments......it is almost embarresing......why cant major companys do anything like this? Why do they always have to give us the simpliest and cheapest crap they can find? It is 2010 now.

Why? Thats easy: WoW

You got to realize:
    3) I opposed the concept that creating a pre set base and destroying it is the core of a sandbox gane.
    4) I can accept that creating is the core of a sandbox. Creating in the most general sense, but certainly not a pre-set building just to be destroyed afterwards or defended.

By that measure, Second Life would be the only sandbox.  If that's where you draw that line, fine, as long as you're consistent.

But, I think you're missing the point that LOVE is still early in development.  If no other significant features are added, then it would be fair to say that it's not a sand box.

By that measure, Second Life would be the only sandbox.  If that's where you draw that line, fine, as long as you're consistent.
    But, I think you're missing the point that LOVE is still early in development.  If no other significant features are added, then it would be fair to say that it's not a sand box.

The sad thing he hasn't realized yet is that SL isn't that much of a sandbox anymore by comparison...go take a look at Blue Mars. ;)

In any case, LOVE is a sandbox. It's more of a sandbox than half the MMOs being claimed as sandboxes, in any case.

• downtoearthdowntoearth Member Posts: 3,558
    Originally posted by DiSpLiFF

Its very impressive that only one person did the whole game... 
    But seriously it really shows rofl, i'm not one for graphics over gameplay but seriously it looks like something I would play on super nintendo. 200 people per server is tiny especially for a sandbox mmo. 

its 400 now plus 100 friends

• green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

The question I have is how many player-built cities can there be per server?

Designing/building a city seems to be one of the better parts of it, and if there can only be one that would be disappointing.

+ Persistent world.

You got to realize:

the base area are pre set but the layout is up 2 you. sicne you can deform terrian and stuff

Originally posted by green13

Designing/building a city seems to be one of the better parts of it, and if there can only be one that would be disappointing.

One per every 10 people logged in to the server. Meaning once you reach 1, 11, 21, 31, etc people logged in to the server, then another monolith token can be found somewhere.

depending how many people are registered per server i believe

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

I think those who make the claim that Love is not a sandbox saw a little bit of a youtube trailer and made their judgement there.

And for people to throw Second Life around as an example/ ideal/ justification for anything ... I'm just embarrassed for you.

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

You can't just build your own city. I mean you can, but it wont' be there when you log back in. The AI is the players' enemy, and they roam the world looking to destroy player cities. You don't know what's coming, when, where, etc. You need other people to help build and defend it.

The cities exist, at this point, simply to be defended. That is the point of the game, and quite a hair-raising point it is, as the AI is pretty incredible in how it can adapt.

all i know is i was having fun earlyer but dieing alot cause the ai was being aggressive and building WAY faster than us. mailny because we couldnt find any power generaters the tokens

This discussion has been closed.